What if Disney bought Bionicle?

Disney has acquired a new asset to their media empire: Bionicle. They plan on making a huge multimedia franchise of it. Will there be movies? Will there be TV shows? Will there be a theme park land (which makes a little more sense than Avatar land, I think there are more Bionicle fans than fans of that movie)? Will Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau make a Disney+ show of Toa Lhikan and his journeys? Well let me know what you think would happen!

• Upvote 1

I don’t do Disney Plus, but I always dreamed of what you said! Love the idea! One of the best Bionicle-related ideas ever! That’s a true Bionicle fan! Bionicle needs this kind of treatment (and also do a live-action (with the planet Earth and humans) cinematic universe with Hero Factory since both of them are very relatable)! :D Well, I would wish for a Disney Plus show, though, because I don’t like paying for it every month or year. Lol. 

Dinsey could also perhaps convince Lego to have Bionicle G1 and and Hero Factory share the same universe, have Vezon accidentally went to Bionicle G2 for a quick visit, and finish the G1 story for our sakes. Seriously. :)

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Disney owns so much property that it might as well be a monopoly, given they'll never let the copyright of even their least profitable IPs fall into the public domain, so I'd rather they acquire as few IPs as possible in the future (and hopefully somebody will be able to break up their existing monopoly).

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mukaukau Nuva said:

I'd rather they acquire as few IPs as possible in the future

I know, right? Disney does not deserve something as awesome as Bionicle. They would invariably end up ruining it, and the acquisition could potentially mean that the rest of LEGO would be next to fall. Such an event must never come to pass.

RPG Characters: Explota Akkitu

Somebody was bound to mention it anyways, so I'll point it out already... Miramax was owned by Disney when the first three Bionicle films were made, and the films were distributed by Disney's Buena Vista Pictures division. Soooo... we have already seen Disney make Bionicle! 

I honestly don't think Bionicle has enough of a market value right now to be a viable target for acquisition by Disney. A lot of the stuff Disney has snapped up (Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, 20th Century Fox) all had a huge value going into it. Love or hate Disney's era of Star Wars, but Disney has already made more than enough money to cover the cost of their $4 billion purchase price for the franchise. Star Wars for example has such a huge following, you can have something like The Rise of Skywalker frustrating and dividing fans one day, yet still have a million people tune in to watch The Mandalorian on Disney+ the next and rave how much they enjoyed it.

Bionicle if it was in the Disney catalog would end up like something like Disney's rights to make stuff like Wrinkle Time or Artemis Fowl... recognizable stories but not really the kind of fandom Marvel or Star Wars can draw... and that would be a pretty weak place for Bionicle to be if I were honest. But the fandom simply isn't big enough (yet) to create the mania Star Wars or Marvel can, and if one Bionicle film was made that was mediocre it could kill the entire franchise for good. Marvel and Star Wars have enough appeal they can have a few bad films yet still get people in the theater when a new film comes out.

If there was one strength Disney could bring to Bionicle, it wouldn't be a film in my opinion but in a TV series. A place like Disney+ or Hulu would be perfect breading ground for an animated long form Bionicle series, imagine what we got with Journey to One but with 12 episode seasons instead of 4.5 (and you know, some quality writing and animation). Especially if it was a retelling of G1's story, I think a long form series would be needed for even early years like 2001 to establish the Toa and side characters like Takua and other Matoran in their quest vs. Makuta. But we don't need Disney to own Bionicle for that to happen, all we would need is for Lego to make a mutual deal with Disney where Disney produces and distributes a series while Lego still owns the franchise. 

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

2 minutes ago, Xboxtravis said:

I honestly don't think Bionicle has enough of a market value right now to be a viable target for acquisition by Disney. A lot of the stuff Disney has snapped up (Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, 20th Century Fox) all had a huge value going into it.

Aye. If anything, Disney would probably go for LEGO as a whole. Saying that, they've had ample opportunity to do so, so I have to wonder whether they currently don't see any reason to try and acquire LEGO or whether they've already tried and failed behind the scenes.

BargSmile.png.48fca408c6ae53ade365ec915a81fa1e.png

• 2 months later...

Well, there are other companies that you can try talking about. There’s Universal. I kind of don’t trust it, but it made Bionicle: The Legend Reborn, and it was reported in Hollywood Reporter in May 2012 that it is trying to get the rights for the Hero Factory live-action movie. No word from that since, but Lego is talking to Universal about making Lego Movies after The Lego Movie 2 had a disappointing box office. 

There’s Warner Bros. DC Comics, which is owned by WB, made Bionicle comics, so there’s that. 

There’s Paramount. I love Sonic the Hedgehog, so that’s reasonable, as long as Bionicle wouldn’t look too inaccurate, like the Transformers movies. 

I don’t trust Sony at all because it ruins things. 

But still, Disney is a logical way of making Bionicle and Hero Factory movies because of the Avengers movies and Miramax made the first three Bionicle direct-to-video movies. 

Bionicle has been all over the place. No joke. Lol.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)