The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

Anyone ever heard of SikTh? They're a pretty awesome progressive metal/mathcore band that I just found while making my way through Metal Hammer's '300 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die'. The album The Trees Are Dead & Dried Out is really cool.

Haha, I tried making my way through that list too. There's a lot of good stuff there.SikTh are okay. Trees is a lot better than DOADD.

Anyone ever heard of SikTh? They're a pretty awesome progressive metal/mathcore band that I just found while making my way through Metal Hammer's '300 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die'. The album The Trees Are Dead & Dried Out is really cool.

SikTh is god-tier stuff, i miss them. they aped Meshuggah before it was cool
nhsYE.jpg

Well, their official page on a certain social networking site did say that they will release another album "when the time is right", so they might come back.

Haha, I tried making my way through that list too. There's a lot of good stuff there.

Lots of rubbish there too though. Can't say I'm looking forward to most of the modern metal section. Already subjected myself to Korn and that was awful. Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Korn is decidedly an acquired taste. I like them, and I'm still not a fan of all their stuff.But yeah, there's a lot of nonsense in the list as well. I feel that they did a pretty good job of gleaning the best of what a certain band had to offer, SikTh being an example (for me, at least).

Yeah, overall it's a good list. The only problem is that some of those albums are very hard to find, like a lot of the Brit Pack section, but that's not their fault.Though I do think they could have gotten someone better to do their picks for modern metal than the guy from Five Finger Death Punch.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The annoying thing is that they had some legitimately great musicians do their picks, like Alice Cooper, Scott Ian and Zakk Wylde, and then just ended it with the FFDP guy.But yeah, I think that FFDP do have a couple of fun tracks to listen to. Not exactly good, but still somewhat fun.Anyway, Saxon anyone? Just been getting more into them and gonna see them supporting Judas Priest in the summer.<3 Wheels of Steel

Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

They're the epitome of everything that is wrong with modern mainstream metal, with the whole awful generic tough-guy nu-groove-whatever thing they have going. They're like Pantera but with any redeeming qualities stripped away or overshadowed.

They have good vocals. Isn't that one redeeming quality? Edited by Rarity

i shouldn't have to explain why wearing your own merch is stupid, but alrightbuying a band tee is basically like giving the band a high five. you're saying "good joob," and giving them some of your cash too, plus that shirt is free advertising for the band. so, if you wear your own band's merch that's basically giving yourself a high five. and that's lame.

nhsYE.jpg

Been really into Anacrusis lately. Anyone heard the song they put out last year? It's probably one of my favourite songs now, and for a band that hadn't played together for 17 years, that's impressive. I'm hoping they'll be working on a new album in the future.Also, a bit off topic, I threw together some possible covers for a demo tape for my band, and was wondering if anyone would mind giving some constructive crit? I put them in my blog right here. Thanks to anyone who clicks it.EDIT: I also agree on the merch thing; if I ever do videos, I'll be wearing some Megadeth shirt or something. :P Even the volbeat vocalist has a Metallica guitar strap.

Edited by A Pleasant Shade Of Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Drat, just when this topic was actually starting to appear like it held a modicum of respect for human beings in general. Ah well, the pitfalls of genre sniping.However, I do have to agree on the t-shirt thing. Hipsterisms aside, if you don't know who the band is, seeing them wearing their own t-shirts is really not going to help them make their case. And if they wear a shirt with another bands name on it, that's just downright weird and confusing.tl;dr band t-shirts are silly even though I own the occasional one.Also on that topic, I finally got around to listening to The Hunter by Mastodon yesterday. Lord knows why I haven't done it sooner.

We're both pretty busy with other things so it's largely in the "idea" stage right now, but I do have some lyrics written up and I've got a vocal style I'm satisfied with, and we've got a few musical ideas floating around. It's just a matter of us finding the time to actually get working on it. And we're lacking a couple important instrumental components, but I figure something can be worked out there.

However, I do have to agree on the t-shirt thing. Hipsterisms aside, if you don't know who the band is, seeing them wearing their own t-shirts is really not going to help them make their case. And if they wear a shirt with another bands name on it, that's just downright weird and confusing.tl;dr band t-shirts are silly even though I own the occasional one.Also on that topic, I finally got around to listening to The Hunter by Mastodon yesterday. Lord knows why I haven't done it sooner.

i have like 50, feelsbadman. i don't think it's weird to wear another band's shirt when you're in one, that's just showing supportgood, The Hunter was fantastic even though it didn't quite make it to my favorite albums of the yearalso writing pony-themed doom sounds like the dumbest thing ever but simultaneously the best Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

However, I do have to agree on the t-shirt thing. Hipsterisms aside, if you don't know who the band is, seeing them wearing their own t-shirts is really not going to help them make their case. And if they wear a shirt with another bands name on it, that's just downright weird and confusing.tl;dr band t-shirts are silly even though I own the occasional one.Also on that topic, I finally got around to listening to The Hunter by Mastodon yesterday. Lord knows why I haven't done it sooner.

i have like 50, feelsbadman. i don't think it's weird to wear another band's shirt when you're in one, that's just showing support
Nah, that's fine, I just meant that when you're trying to advertise, it gets confusing as to who is who. In concerts, sometimes I'll see some obscure band advertising another obscure band, which is just tragically unhelpful, especially if they're actually good.And yeah, The Hunter was great. I wasn't a super big fan of theirs back in the day, but I've definitely been appreciating Mastodon more lately. Edited by Dorek

also writing pony-themed doom sounds like the dumbest thing ever but simultaneously the best

My Little Pony actually has some decent mythology (for lack of a better term) in it. Like the story of two princesses (although they strike me as being portrayed more like goddesses), who control the sun and the moon. The moon princess becomes jealous of the sun princess and rebels, only to be cast down and locked away for a millennium.That's the aspect of MLP that my lyrics tackle, not the episode plots and the themes of love and friendship and such.

curl of the burl was the one with the rednecks in the forest or whatever, right?

Yep. Edited by Eucliwood

So, the unreleased Pantera track is out today. Anyone heard it?I'm not too big on it. It's not bad, but I can see why it didn't make the cut to Vulgar Display Of Power.

Discussion of piracy and other similar topics is not permitted on BZPower. -B6 Edited by Black Six

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

My Little Pony actually has some decent mythology (for lack of a better term) in it. Like the story of two princesses (although they strike me as being portrayed more like goddesses), who control and sun and the moon. The moon princess becomes jealous of the sun princess and rebels, only to be cast down and locked away for a millennium.That's the aspect of MLP that my lyrics tackle, not the episode plots and the themes of love and friendship and such.

well that makes more sensethough doom metal songs about love and friendship sounds pretty awesome tooalso Pantera go download Spotify bro, it has pretty much every album you could want there (though a few labels like century media and sumerian have pulled out for whatever reason)
nhsYE.jpg

Nah, I really don't wanna download just in case A: I get in LEGAL trouble somehow, and/or B: I get a virus on my computer.Viruses suck, y'know.Besides, I have Frostwire 5.1.5, downloaded The Offsprings's "Smash", but I need a codec or something to play it on Windows Media Player. Stuff like Frostwire is a bit too hard for me, so I let my friend's mom's friend burn me a cd of something I want (artist).WAY EASIER!I prefer listening to the whole album while playing Happy Wheels, Raze 2, or the like of online flash games. (Just open up another tab and play music while you play the game.)

Edited by Pantera

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P