The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

I'm actually leaning towards getting that; I don't own the original physically (much of my music is punked from the library =P) so I tend to wait for reissues and the like to pick up good albums, so I've definitely had my eye on that.

I'm pretty much still exploring around so I might look into RAtM. Oh and guess what? I had the chance to go see Opeth play at Leeds but couldn't go coz I had lectures the morning after. In Sheffield. Just downright ridiculous!!

Edited by DARKSIDERZ

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

Can anyone suggest any good Melodeth bands, other than Dethklok, and Amon Amarth?
be aware that some of these have power metal or progressive metal leanings:Arch Enemy, Arsis, At the Gates, Before the Dawn, The Black Dahlia Murder, Blackguard, Blood Stain Child, later Carcass (Heartwork and Swansong), early Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, Darkane, Darkest Hour, Deadlock, early In Flames, In Mourning, Insomnium, Kalmah, Nightrage, Omnium Gatherum, Ritual of Rebirth, early Scar Symmetry, early Soilwork, and Wintersun. Edited by Ryuujin

Early Scar Symmetry? Later Scar Symmetry is good melodeath as well!

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

Eh, Dark Matter Dimensions isn't that good (the video for "Noumenon and Phenomenon" is testament to this, check that out if you want a good laugh), but I thought The Unseen Empire was really good. Dat Seers of the Eschaton.

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

Do modern female singers get on anybody else's nerves? To me, they all sound the same. They kinda have a "pseudo-operatic" voice to them. Bands like Evanescence, Nightwish, etc. all have the same/similar vocal styles. (albeit Nightwish more than Evanescence).Also, I heard a Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath mashup somebody made with Whole Lotta Love and War Pigs. Amazing, a must listen! :D

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

bought a copy of Irreligious by Moonspell from a local flea market, the packaging is in absolutely abysmal conditionlikethe booklet apparently got wet and was just left to dry, so the paper is so stiff that it feels more like cardboard, and the pages are so stuck together that it would be impossible to open it without tearing it to shredsplus part of the front cover image was literally torn off of the booklet and is stuck to the inside of the casethe disc is in pretty good condition though, and it was only a dollar, so whateverEDIT: here are some pictures showing the extent of the damage to the booklet, for anyone curious (also pictured: a Bart Simpson figurine I purchased as well, my laptop, a paperclip, and my knee wearing wonderful comfy pajama pants)

Edited by Ryuujin

Dat new Between the Buried and Me.Awesome.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

What do you guys think of Time I from Wintersun?

Just listened to the title track of it.

OH MY GOD.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

new Soilwork album art and tracklisting have been announced, last album was great so I have high hopes for this.also apparently Carcass are going to be releasing a new album early next year. not sure how I feel about this considering it's been 17 years since the last album and even it wasn't especially outstanding.

SKYHARBOR.

JUST SKYHARBOR.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

So after really listening to St. Anger, I've decided that it could have been a pretty decent album if they cut all the terrible parts out of the songs.

Example: All Within My Hands. Overall, the song wasn't too bad until the completely terrible breakdown at the end.

Some of the lyrics could have used some sweetening up too. Too repetitive in some parts, and in others they just sucked.

The intros of most of the songs were really great, and I'll listen to a few of them just because of the intros.

No one can convince me that The Unnamed Feeling was a bad song though. If anything, that song made the purchase worth it. Such a good song. The surprise dip into A# during the chorus was incredible.

Oh also, I might get to see Meshuggah and Animals as Leaders in March, so that's awesome.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

• 3 weeks later...

Killswitch drops their new album, Disarm The Descent, on April 2. SO EXCITED.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

On that note, what albums are you guys looking forward to this year?

So far, the one I'm most looking forward to is The Last Spire by Cathedral. While it's sad that it will be their last release before retiring, I'm still super-excited for it as anything they do is pretty much guaranteed to be top-quality doom.

Also, new Devin Townsend, Black Sabbath, Saxon, Slayer, Rob Zombie and Wednesday 13.

I believe there's also a possibility of a Nine Inch Nails album, so that would be great.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I'm also looking forward to Intronaut's Habitual Levitations and Soilwork's The Living Infinite.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

Well, there was an announcement on the new Black Sabbath album: it will be titled 13 and will be released in June. It's nice to have that fully confirmed now, although they could have worked a bit harder on the title :P

Also, the drums on the album were done by Brad Wilk of Rage Against The Machine, which is pretty awesome.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

so The HAARP Machine broke upI never listened to them at all, wasn't really a fan of their stylebutI'm kinda bummed anyway, because their vocalist is somebody I've followed since his days playing with tiny unsigned local bands, after he randomly followed me on Twitter and I checked his stuff outI even emailed back and forth with the dude a couple times, paid him directly for a copy of an EP one of his old bands releasedit was cool seeing him in a band that generated a lot of underground buzz and got some attention, especially when a lot of the focus was on his excellent vocal workhopefully having his name attached to The HAARP Machine will get more recognition for his future projects

• 3 weeks later...
I've been getting into Dream Theater lately, can any one suggest any good bands that are similar? particularly stuff that's kinda like Train of Thought.

Arch/Matheos is very good and pretty similar; lots of progression and also some of the grooviness, too. I'd also recommend Shattered Skies:

http://shatteredskies.bandcamp.com/album/reanimation-ep

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

Symphony X is a lot like DT in many ways. I'm not much of a fan but you may like them. Also Fates Warning has a few very Dream Theater-esque albums (A Pleasant Shade Of Grey, No Exit, Parallels) that you might enjoy.But there isn't really much that sounds like Dream Theater. Most prog bands sound fairly different from eachother, I find. Or maybe that's 'cause I've just listened to them too much.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

<.< >.>

When it comes to vocals, I prefer SX to DT. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Randy Blythe has been found NOT GUILTY of the death of Daniel Nosek, the fan who was killed in the concert in the Czech Republic, and has been acquitted of all charges.

Really happy for Randy, hopefully they can move on and continue making killer albums. :) And my extended sympathy to the Nosek family; I know it must be hard for them. I am deeply sorry for their loss.

My Brickshelf

tessewact.png
Give me strength.

In sadder news, Iron Maiden's former drummer Clive Burr passed away last night. He was a fantastic drummer and has been immortalised with The Number of the Beast, as well as Maiden's two previous albums.

I think it's only fitting to be listening to Hallowed Be Thy Name right now.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 1 month later...

new Amon Amarth song available for free download, the title track off of their upcoming album Deceiver of the Gods.

it's pretty much exactly what you would expect from Amon Amarth at this point, which is by no means a bad thing.

if this song is any indication, the new album is going to be solid.

For whatever reason, I haven't really been into Amon Amarth lately. Still really love Twilight of the Thunder God but kind of skipped over Surtur Rising, having only listened to it in full two or three times.

Regardless, the new song is pretty solid.

Cathedral have also recently released the song Tower of Silence from their upcoming album. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it's still pretty good.

Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

So I'm looking to get into Meshuggah. Anyone have recommendations for a couple of albums to start off with? I listened to Koloss last year and didn't really enjoy it, although I only heard it the one time.

They're co-headlining a show with Devin Townsend (along with support from Periphery) in a couple of weeks, and whilst I definitely want to go just for Devin anyway, it would obviously be nice to get familiar with Meshuggah too.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___