Lava surfing Tahu

Kumata

Rumpelstiltskin and I have decided to set each other drawing challenges in order to improve our artistic skills. Since his first challenge for me was Bionicle-related, I may as well post it here.

Lava is an absolute pain to do right, but I'm quite pleased with Tahu's pose. Comments and criticism would be appreciated.

Edited by Kumata

Oh my Mata Nui!This is amazing! The detail, the vibrant colours, the bold outlines, and that lava! Seriously awesome work!I would have loved to see the fire sword in there, but it makes sense without it and still looks amazing. :DAstris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

The only issue I can see with it involves proportions. Both the knee and the shoulder nearest the viewer seem a tad big, but I can just chalk that up to your art style. I love the look of the lava, and his pose looks like he's realistically balancing on the lava board.Where's his sword, though?

Edited by Charles J. Guiteau

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The lineart is beautiful. Felt like pointing that out.And then there's the art style. I love it so much. It stays close to the original set and is yet dynamic and somewhat... alive. Simply amazing.So yeah, Tahu looks awesome.I'm not 100% sure about the lava, though. Something seems a little off - maybe some more shades of red (or just a more vibrant red) and a bit less yellow would have done the trick... the way it looks right now it reminds me more of flames than lava.That's just a minor thing that doesn't really change the impact of the image, though. ^^

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Thanks for the feedback. :biggrin:

Where's his sword, though?
I was going to draw it attached to his back but I couldn't figure out an angle at which the handle would be visible. I consider the 'flames' part of the weapon to represent actual fire, which would be 'turned off' when he's not wielding it.
I'm not 100% sure about the lava, though. Something seems a little off - maybe some more shades of red (or just a more vibrant red) and a bit less yellow would have done the trick... the way it looks right now it reminds me more of flames than lava.
This is sort of what I meant when I said it was a pain to do lava; there are so many colours involved, and all the pictures I looked at for reference seemed to have a different ratio of colours.

I love this art style, and you've done an epic job with shading. Proper shading is the difference between a good picture and a great picture, and while your picture has the shading of nailed perfectly, there's some things preventing it from being great.First, there some issues with the proportions. As sumi said earlier, his right (our left) ball joints are too big. I know that hyperbolic proportions with a more cartoony image are usually fine, but they're just a tad to big. Same with his right hand, it's a tad too small. His back leg is also a bit too small. It, by itself, looks fine, but due to the fact that his left arm isn't scaled down as much makes it look awkward. However, the biggest concern with proportions are with his front leg and front foot. It's hard to explain, but his front leg is tilted towards you, while his front foot is tilted away, which would result in quite the uncomfortable position. Despite what some others have said, I actually like the stylized hau. It seems odd not having tahu holding his lava sword, but it's probably because I'm too used to it.I'm not going to go into too much detail into the lava because it everyone has summed it up very well. I think you've done an ok job in terms of colours and shape, but I think the lines are too bold. Infact, almost distractingly bold. Some thinner lines might have made it look better. I think the rock could have had some better shading as well (compared to the brilliant shading you've done with Tahu). More than the perspective, this is probably the weakest part of the image. The background could have also been done with a little bit more detail, but it's not very noticable.Overall, a very nostalgic image for sure. You've managed to capture the true spirit of BIONICLE's most iconic character. The detail you've put into the character is outstanding, and the shading is done brilliantly. This is possibly one of the best shadings I've not only seen here, but everywhere. You should draw a comic.8/10Background and proportions almost blew it, shading and detail saved it.

Majhost sucks

Absolutely beautiful! It's all very well done, especially Tahu. But, as others have said, the lava is more reminiscent of fire and flames than lava. Tahu looks best by far, but the lava... Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but it just doesn't feel like "lava," you know? I get that lava's a tough one to draw (Personal experience teaches me this), but you might consider less bolded lines, as SDK said.I think I can best explain it with an image.tahulavasurf.pngSee what I did there? On the side I adjusted, you can see I took away some of the "definition" and "boldness" of the lines that make up the lava, as well as making it a bit more red. On the whole, both sides work, but in different ways. When I look at your lava, it immediately makes me think of MNOG and the style they used. Not a bad thing at all, but it just kinda feels out of place with the way you drew Tahu. I think it's a little TOO contrasting, but that might be just me. All in all, I applaud your work, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next! :) Nice work here!signoffffff.png

Edited by ~The 1st Shadow~

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

• 2 weeks later...

Well then. Out of all the adaptions of this scene that I've looked at, this is by far one of my favorites. I love the semi-cartoony, yet still awesome feel to it. Excellent work, Kumata.By the way, I think that other Toa Mata drawings in this style would be awesome... * hint hint *

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

What software did you use?
I drew the image on paper first, then scanned it in and used Adobe Photoshop for the lines/colours/shading.
By the way, I think that other Toa Mata drawings in this style would be awesome... * hint hint *
I'm a completionist. *hint hint*