BZP Cool Coding: UserCards

Metax

Not sure if this is the correct forum to place this in, but I can't find any other that'll suit it. Anyway,

Hi everyone! As many of you have already seen, I've been working on a Old BZP style theme for BZP recently (Link), and throughout the process of programming it, I decided to port a feature I made awhile back for forums called "UserCards"

Picture!

Essentially, it's a replacement for the current Avatar system most forums use. I designed it to allow for users to have more space to put a custom image or logo for themselves. Each user would be given about 340px - 680px worth of space to use in whatever way they'd like, (Within the image/avatar rules of the specific site.), which would then be scaled down and placed in the side area where your user info is located in each post.

I'm currently testing this feature on a forum I work for, and so far, all users who have it have said they are loving the new feature.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think about this kind of UserCard/Avatar system!

If you guys really like the idea, I can also make this into a Google Chrome/Safari/Firefox Extension so you can all use it for yourself!

Thanks!

-Metax.

Edited by Metax

sig7.jpg
Hi, I'm Metax.  BS01's Lead Programmer and Longtime Bionicle Fan!

I really like how that looks, but as others have said the issue will be with high-contrast images muddling the member text and logos beneath. Maybe a redesign of the entire member info area would be in order, but a simple white gradient over the bottom part of the image might be enough.I would also much rather have such an avatar/member card rather than the gargantuan signature sizes that were suddenly allowed. Still, it might carry some of the same problems as the sig images, if someone decides to have a very visually noisy image, or if this forces every post to be that tall even if they only contain one sentence.Fix the muddled member data issue somehow, and this will definitely get a vote from me.

Hey everyone!

So, I've read through each of the comments, and have made adjustments to the UserCard to fit the suggestions given by you all.

This is what It looks like now: Link

I've centred the User Info and removed the duplicate "Premier Member" line. I've moved it down and given it a Gradient, allowing people to easily see the info while not blocking the Image.

-Metax

P.s If you'd like to see the User-card would look like with a specific image, Post a link to it and I'll post a screenshot with it in the User-card.

sig7.jpg

Wow, that looks really nice now! I like how the words aren't as cluttered, and how the proto bar/spinning mask and the premier member pics are side by side. How do you get it to work on BZP, though?

Thanks! I programmed a custom safari extension to run the code for me when I view the site.

sig7.jpg

The larger post count images (such as my current one with the Bohrok, or the later Vahi) will still make that setup cluttered, but in all honesty I'd rather have that usercard look than all the clutter with post count images.I quickly shooped this, and though I think I placed the info a bit too close to the image, I personally feel that shaving off the post count image would be an improvement.

The larger post count images (such as my current one with the Bohrok, or the later Vahi) will still make that setup cluttered, but in all honesty I'd rather have that usercard look than all the clutter with post count images.I quickly shooped this, and though I think I placed the info a bit too close to the image, I personally feel that shaving off the post count image would be an improvement.

But that would mean a premium function gets lost, in there no way to place it directly onderneath the card?

I'm back!

But that would mean a premium function gets lost, is there no way to place it directly underneath the card?

It's perfectly possible to do so, but the question is whether that would make posts too tall by default. For example, your short post would be at least twice the height that it would otherwise be just from the usercard itself being implemented.

But that would mean a premium function gets lost, is there no way to place it directly underneath the card?

It's perfectly possible to do so, but the question is whether that would make posts too tall by default. For example, your short post would be at least twice the height that it would otherwise be just from the usercard itself being implemented.
Possible solution, skip the images and make the cards a premium thing.

I'm back!

Possible solution, skip the images and make the cards a premium thing.
Maybe, but it'll look weird in a topic with large images and small ones with text together. IMO if I had premier membership I'll just be happy with a blog and some proto. Maybe just take out the images altogether.