Official Star Wars Topic

J46 Nui

So... I'm the only one who liked Jar Jar AND the prequels?
I wasn't a huge fan of Jar Jar, but I have to say he was far from the worst part of the prequels. That honor goes to the sequence where C-3PO gets his head exchanged with a battle droid. Compared to that, Jar Jar emanates gravitas.The prequels were a mixed bag for me. I actually loved Episode I, because it told a fairly self-contained story and introduced a great number of awesome settings. I liked Episode II less; while it also had a great deal of awesome new settings, its plot seemed a little threadbare (and scenes like the aforementioned 3PO scene were painful to watch). And Episode III was okay, but nothing special; it had forgettable settings and the plot seemed to only exist to connect the previous prequels to the originals. All in all, I agree with the majority opinion that the prequels were not as good as the original trilogy on the whole, but I still think they get a lot of undue hate. At worst they're still decent movies; nowhere near the awfulness of, say, The Last Airbender.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I wasn't a huge fan of Jar Jar, but I have to say he was far from the worst part of the prequels. That honor goes to the sequence where C-3PO gets his head exchanged with a battle droid. Compared to that, Jar Jar emanates gravitas.
I'm kind of wondering exactly what I did to enable myself to forget that.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So... yesterday's new episode of The Clone Wars...So much for Lucas himself saying Wookiees couldn't be Jedi. But of course there was a Wookiee youngling/Jedi....That said he was probably the most interesting part of a rather dull episode lol.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Wookie Jedi can exist, but they are VERY rare. I only know of two, Lowbacca and another who died shortly before the clone wars. From what I remember of the other one, he was killed by battle droids (though was not aware they were aiming at him), his lightsaber had a bronze blade and I think the hilt was curved.Anyone else hear about the Iron Knights? They have not been used all that recently but it is a cool idea. It is essentially a species of force-sensitive and sentient/sapient crystals, their bodies are put into droids where they become, essentially, jedi droids.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

So... anyone else hear about how Disney bought Lucas Films and they are making Episode 7 in 2015?I really hope it doesn't suck, I have some hope since they did well with the Avengers, by stepping away and letting them do their own thing. Besides maybe a new director (god a good director) is what the series needs for the final trilogy.I hope that they bring back the original characters, Luke, Leia, Han and have them all older. Leia could be like high up in the New Republic, Han can be doing his thing... Luke can be more like an older battle scared Yoda, the new Jedi master for his new Jedi order. Honestly I hope they deviate away from the Expanded Universe, I mean the Expanded Universe is great, but I never had the time or money to read all of it. I'd rather they just make Episode 7 and the new trilogy the way Lucas planned it and not from what the EU writers decided to cook up. They did announce that it would be its own original story we haven't seen before.Some people think they may take it to a new galaxy, era etc. But if there are no characters, no story that somehow connects to the first two trilogies then why would it be Episode 7 at all? Instead of Episode 1 of a new trilogy.

Yeah, uh, scroll up a bit. Pretty much everything that can be said on that topic has been said, including no end of 'this will ruin everything.'

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Of course I know of Lowbacca. And I do remember that one other Wookiee Knight.But at some point after their introduction, Lucas said "no more Wookiee Jedi." Reasoning being some species just weren't capable of using the Force, like the Wookiees [and Ewoks, thank god]. I found it ridiculous, and apparently so did the Clone Wars writers. Ha.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I wasn't a huge fan of Jar Jar, but I have to say he was far from the worst part of the prequels. That honor goes to the sequence where C-3PO gets his head exchanged with a battle droid. Compared to that, Jar Jar emanates gravitas.
I'm kind of wondering exactly what I did to enable myself to forget that.
I don't know, but if you find out, could you teach me? I'd love to forget that particular scene. :P

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Of course I know of Lowbacca. And I do remember that one other Wookiee Knight.But at some point after their introduction, Lucas said "no more Wookiee Jedi." Reasoning being some species just weren't capable of using the Force, like the Wookiees [and Ewoks, thank god]. I found it ridiculous, and apparently so did the Clone Wars writers. Ha.~|ET|~
The fact that Ewoks could not use the force always bothered me. It would be a great explanation for the Ewoks' magic as seen in the terrible cartoons and movies.As for the new movie, I am okay if it doesn't rely heavily on the EU, as long as it does not contradict it. Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Odds are they are connected to the Force, but there are things that are labelled as "curses" and "magic" in star wars, granted most of those were used by the ancient Sith, like the undead guardians of some of the tombs in the Valley of the Dark Lords. Or the one that Exar Kun used on the Massassi Temples of Yavin IV.Anyway, I also heard of a Hutt jedi, who later fell to the dark side and was killed by Leia, though I think a stop was put on force sensitive Hutts as well, considering we never see them.Anyone else play The Old Republic? Sure it is an MMO but the story is actually pretty good, and it is story driven, for the most part. It will be free to play soon but for now there is a trial where you can play up to level 15, with few restrictions.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

All the Wiki said was that Force-sensitive Hutts are somewhat rare. Personally, I think it's funny how any decent character in a certain handful of species (Hutts, Neimoidians, a few others) gets very quietly swept under the rug in order to maintain a unified image of awfulness for the species as a whole.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Could depend on the roles that they play and from whose perspective, the big name Hutts are not really role models, there are exceptions, though the ones I have come across that are the exception are not widely known by the galaxy, like the obvious Jabba, or maybe even Durga, there tend to be more reasons to hate the big name ones then there is to like the "good" ones.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

If found Durga (in the Han Solo trilogy at least) to be an exceptionally well written character. Even Jabba had his moments. Why I loved that series...it made the villains people, not just cutouts.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

If found Durga (in the Han Solo trilogy at least) to be an exceptionally well written character. Even Jabba had his moments. Why I loved that series...it made the villains people, not just cutouts.
I like this too, by the way, for those of us into the Old Republic series, does anyone else find Malek/Alek to be a sort of tragic villain character? Not to the level of Ulic Qel-Droma but still tragic in a sense? Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Anyone else play The Old Republic? Sure it is an MMO but the story is actually pretty good, and it is story driven, for the most part. It will be free to play soon but for now there is a trial where you can play up to level 15, with few restrictions.
I'll return when free to play is implemented, actually.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Okay, name five canon Hutts that weren't in some way terrible and/or loathsome.
I can only think of one off the top of my head, from the Tales of the Jedi comics. Forgot his name, but he was a pretty nice guy.EDIT: His name was Aarrba.As for TOR, I would be playing now if I had enough spare money for the subscription. I think I'll just wait for Free to Play as well. Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

I can only think of one off the top of my head, from the Tales of the Jedi comics. Forgot his name, but he was a pretty nice guy.EDIT: His name was Aarrba.As for TOR, I would be playing now if I had enough spare money for the subscription. I think I'll just wait for Free to Play as well.
In one of the RP books, a character named "Boonda" the Hutt, (Or something like that) actually went clean and created a legit droidworks. Unknown if he's Canon.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

Rumor has it Harrison Ford is open to reprising his role as Han Solo. I'm skeptical considering he has expressed dislike for the part and has distanced himself from the franchise. Do you think there is any grounds in this claim?

I also recall a scrawny Hutt slave mentioned in Darksaber. I think his name was Korrda. He was not despicable, more pathetic. Durga's father was not that bad ether, yes he was head of a the Besadii crime syndicate but he was anti-savory, charismatic, and lobbied for unity of the Hutt clans. I mine as well throw Rotta in the mix too.AarrbaBoondaRottaKorrdaArukHa! that's five!

That is all

Durga's father was not that bad ether, yes he was head of a the Besadii crime syndicate but he was anti-savory
Think you meant anti-slavery not anti-savoury. Unless he really did have an aversion to salty foods. And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Aruk running a slavery ring masquerading as a religious cult to get people mining spice, which is where most of Besadii's profits were coming from? That doesn't sound very anti-slavery to me

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Yeah, Aruk was kind of heavily involved in starting the Ylesia operation, of which slavery was a huge part.Rotta only really appeared as a child, so he doesn't count, as he never had a chance to do anything - nothing can really be said about what he would have been like as an adult, although given that Jabba was his parent, guesses can be made. Basically, you can't make any judgments about an infant's morality.So that leaves you with three that actually count.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Durga's father was not that bad ether, yes he was head of a the Besadii crime syndicate but he was anti-savory
Think you meant anti-slavery not anti-savoury. Unless he really did have an aversion to salty foods.And correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Aruk running a slavery ring masquerading as a religious cult to get people mining spice, which is where most of Besadii's profits were coming from? That doesn't sound very anti-slavery to me
Oh, your right. I forgot all about the Ylesian slave operations. I suppose I was thinking about someone else. Jiliac Desilijic Tiure, Zorba Desilijic Tiure, and Jabba Desilijic Tiure all cared about their children. They still where heads of the clan though so that discounts them as nice.I suspected Rotta would not go over well...Nuts, now I need two more good Hutts.EDIT: Ha! What about Kossak Inijic Ar'durv? He united the Hutt clans and other species before the republic era and defeated Xim the Despot at the climax of the Hutt-Xim conflict. His name is held in such high esteem that it is used as an oath in Hutt culture. Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

Yeah, and caring for your own progeny doesn't really guarantee that you're decent, it just means that you watch out for your investments.(Also, again, infants definitely don't count.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I don't know. I did some reading and Kossak the Hutt sounds like a descent guy. He was the only Hutt to ever swallow his pride and unify with his political rivals. He formed alliances with various other rival groups and helped defeat one of the most tyrannical warlords in history. Hutts don't show much respect for each other and treat each other with distrust. Kossak is considered the greatest Hutt in history and if he was able to receive the admiration of Hutts hundred of generations latter I think that means something.Blotus the Hutt was elected Supreme Chancellor of the Republic in the Rainitus period and served a 275-year term. He was an extremely popular figure and ushered in a new age of prosperity for the Republic. He overcame the stereotypes of his species and is remembered as one of the most prominent beings to serve as Supreme Chancellor.There, that is five.

Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

Kossak Inijic Ar'durv certainly seems to have been an effective leader, and there's no direct evidence that I've seen that suggests him committing atrocities against people who didn't kind of earn them, so yeah, I'll count him, so that's four.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Blotus the Hutt was elected Supreme Chancellor of the Republic in the Rainitus period and served a 275-year term. He was an extremely popular figure and ushered in a new age of prosperity for the Republic. He overcame the stereotypes of his species and is remembered as one of the most prominent beings to serve as Supreme Chancellor.There, that is five.
It's a shame that Star wars utilizes such a black and white sense of morality when it comes to species. Trendoshans, Hutts, and Neomodian's are all bad and Mon Calamari, Wookies Sullustans, and Togruta's are all good. It is all based around the Always Chaotic Evil trope. Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

Yeah, the fact that it took that long to find them says a lot about the writers - though I'm sure it wouldn't take much less time than that to find five Wookiees that are actually bad, as you pointed out.It's really a fairly common problem in science-fiction, though. Star Trek has the same issue with entire species falling into ridiculously specific roles.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, there's Hanharr from KotOR 2...Tempted to mention Chuundar from KotOR 1.Tojjevvuk is a bit of a grey area.EDIT: In other news SWTOR has been confirmed to go free to play on November 15.

Edited by Valenti

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

It's more of a problem of not getting very large samples of the species; I can't name five good Hutts because I can't name five Hutts at all. The novels see the two or three Hutts named in the movies, and they pretty much just copy them, or make one specifically to be an exception.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

It's more of a problem of not getting very large samples of the species; I can't name five good Hutts because I can't name five Hutts at all. The novels see the two or three Hutts named in the movies, and they pretty much just copy them, or make one specifically to be an exception.
Nope. I think your specific case has more to do with you not observing a sufficient sample than there not being one.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom