BZPRPG - Ta-Wahi

Nuju Metru

IC (Jin)

IC:

"Who is most unknown?" Nika asked. He suddenly realized how naked he was, weapons strewn on the floor. If either Pae or Jin were to....

"Heard none of these names before," the Vortixx continued, tucking a fist under his chin. "Sev, Illicia, Marfoir ... simply words to me. With Grokk dead and Liacada definitively known to the authorities, they and Brykon appeared to be our best targets. But who to track, and where to find them?"

He looked over to Jin.

IC Kihohiki

IC:

Lumira pinched the bridge of her nose, shaking her head silently.

IC: Ril

IC:

"I'm sure we'll plenty o' folks willing to help you out there in Ko," I said, my grin painful and macabre.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC Kihohiki

"Call it what you like." Kihohiki nearly spat. "I assure you, if you are a threat, it'll be public knowledge before you leave."

"But," He adjusted his mask, the strain of having to discuss this wearying, "If you are against Ko, perhaps you can be of use."

IC: "Okay, so if we are a threat, we've gotten ourselves caught by loudly talking and chattering in plain sight." Ash proclaimed, voice dripping with sarcasm. "What do you think the next step of our master plan would be?"

Seriously, would they tell him they were a threat?

helo frens

IC Kihohiki

Kihohiki let out a quick and fully truthful laugh. "Why, kill me quickly before I can report." He scratched his hip.

"But considering you'd be slipping with frustration by now because a questionable old man jabbed nonsense at you, it's obvious you're just training." A slight implying tone was put into that last word, although he had been grinning the entire time. Suddenly his voice switched to deathly serious. "But are you heading to Ko? if so, I could use you assistance."

IC:

Ta-Koro was never really dark anymore. Not since Makuta lost. The torches were alive all day and all night for weeks, villagers celebrating their freedom around the clock. Drinking, dancing, singing, talking, the sounds of just being free never stopped. And even when the parties started to die away, the street lamps went up. The village was illuminated day and night. The nights were livelier, too, like the light had pushed away their fear just like the dark. But the merchant district was still quiet, once the stores closed.

And the view of the sky was the same.

“Sometimes I think you forgot who taught who how to get up here.”

Green eyes flicked to the edge of the roof, where Saeva’s father pulled himself out of the window and up onto her level. The older Toa crawled up a few feet and leaned back against the worn stone roof, looking over at his daughter. Sareta the younger was laid back against the roof, regarding the expanse of the heavens above her in silence.

“Been a while since you’ve been up here.” The tailor commented, staring at the stars with her. “Big guy, Red, went out. Borrowed a few mannequins.”

“I know. Watched him go.” Saeva gestured lazily towards the ground, the entrance to the shop a little ways below. The street stretched out before it like an arrow, the distant city enveloping it after a few blocks. “Rest are inside. Erzu’s probably sleeping like the dead. Tor might be sleeping. Or just quiet. Didn’t say anything when I came up here.”

“Mm.” The two fell silent for a time, contemplating the vast sky above them and the sounds of the village at night. Finally the elder Ta-Toa pushed himself up with his elbows, looking over at his daughter. “Do you know why the buildings around us are taller than the ones near the wall?”

No.”

“Well, they were built that way. Long time ago, before you were born, before I was born, they mapped out how the village would be. Guard fortress in the center, with everything radiating off from it.” A single gesture directed Saeva’s attention to the buildings behind them. “They get taller the further towards the center you get. Fortress is taller than all of them. Why do you think?”

“Maybe Vakama had an ego, or something.” She commented listlessly, eyes flicking back to the sky.

Her father’s mouth quirked in a half smile. “That’s Matau you’re thinking of. No, they get taller for a tactical edge. One of the first things they teach you in the Guard; the roofs get taller so that if an enemy breaches the gate, no matter how far they get, our archers will always have a higher perspective. I always thought it was interesting.”

The younger Sareta was quiet for a few long minutes, never taking her eyes off of the stars. Even when she finally spoke her eyes didn’t move. “... Dad, why’d you want to be a Guard?”

“... When I was your age, Makuta was a constant fear. It was pretty quiet when you were growing up. Worshippers and criminals showed their faces, but the spirit himself was passive. Was only in the last few years that that changed.” He was quiet a moment, memories brimming to the surface, just visible behind sea-blue eyes. “I was a lot more energetic back then. Rookie Toa, head filled with all the ideas that came with.”

“They say every Toa has a star up there.” Blue eyes joined green, looking heavenward. “Don’t know if still believe that, but I did then. And I knew, as much as I knew anything, that I had to live up to mine. I was young, I was strong, and that meant I needed to keep everyone safe. Guard wasn’t even a question. From the moment I became a Toa, I knew it was what I was meant for.”

“Why’d you quit?

“Master of Shadows gave me a wakeup call.” He looked down at the hands clasped in his lap. “Tahu was an inspiration. All the Mata were. Best of the best, stronger than I’d ever be. When they got here we were all certain Makuta’s days were numbered. And then they lost, and the Rahkshi swarmed across the land. They tore through the Guards in their way, wrecked buildings, and kept pressing for the center. Having the high ground meant nothing.”

“My squad engaged them not far from the Lavapool. Us and a couple others. I took a staff through the shoulder, would have been worse if I wasn’t quicker. Lieutenant pulled me back before I could get hurt any more, sent me away. Pretty lucky of me. We lost three Guards in that skirmish alone.” He encompassed the village was a wide, sweeping gesture. “All of this needs to be protected. But I realized that it wasn’t quite as romantic as I thought. Once you were born… It was time to stop. I didn’t want my family losing me because of some misplaced bravery.”

“Was it easy? Choosing?”

“Yes. I had too much to lose, and if I hesitated because of it, I’d have done more harm than if I resigned.” His Akaku focused on her face, as he reached out to give her shoulder a squeeze. “... What’s wrong?”

“... I don’t know what I’m doing.” Saeva admitted, barely audible over the warm evening breeze. The words slipped out unbidden, and she knew she couldn’t take them back the instant she did. “There was a Guard today. Don’t know her name. Just about blew up at her, just for doing her job. She reminded me of another kid that’d always lecture me for fighting when I was little. Smack me around a bit, if I wouldn’t cut it out.”

“Then when she was mocking Erzu, I got mad at her again. And it was Erzu who was angry with me. And… I was mad at the Guard for being protective of her village, and mad at her again when she was being a . But don’t I do the same things? She’s got a purpose, something to focus on. I just… Brawl.”

“Saeva, you’re young. You’re not supposed to know what you’re doing yet.” Pulling his daughter into a tight hug, the older Ta-Toa gave a warm smile. “You’re a troublemaker, dear. Always have been a bit of one. But you’ve never been malicious. I remember the first time we got a visitor because of you. You’d beaten up a kid twice your size for being a bully. We started hearing about more and more of them, too. Shoplifters, thieves, troublemakers, vandals… The usual targets. Never went after anyone who didn’t deserve it, or wasn’t looking for it.”

He squeezed his daughter’s shoulders, putting a hand on the other side of her head. “You’re a good person. You’re just not sure what kind of one you are, yet.”

“... Thanks, Dad.” Saeva said softly, leaning into her father’s shoulder. “I’m gonna stay up here a while, I think. Would you mind making me some tea? Don’t have to bring it up, you can just leave the pot on the counter.”

“Sure. Don’t stay out here too long, alright? Your guests are going to think you abandoned them.”

“I won’t, Dad. Promise.”

• Upvote 6

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

Sleep would come no easier to Ta-Koro than it did to Redhot.

schwing schwing

And neither would downtime.

erzu salvajemono

torana avaliona

saeva sareta

He'd snuck out of the living room [there was irony in there, heh] and asked Saeva's mom for permission to borrow a few tailoring mannequins, under the condition that they'd be returned without a scratch or any unseemly dents. It was a heavy ask, but the mother was nearly as cool as the daughter, and Redhot had been loaned three. Which, really, was all he needed for training purposes.

In the real world...well...

You could defend one person at a time all you wanted. But there was never just one coming after them.

Today had been the proof of that. The light went out of her eyes. I saw it.

It would be too easy to simply blame Erzu, too, so Red had lent the monkey his blankets and cocked the pillow he'd been given against the side of his head before he'd slipped off.

He hadn't buttoned up his hoodie, and he tasted booze on his breath. For a second, he could have convinced himself he was on ~vacation~ in Ga-Wahi until he reached underneath the mussed-up collar of his pullover with both index fingers, arms crossed, and withdrew them - two saperka, medium-sized shovels that were just as much badges as they were close-range weapons, and just another two bullets on the list of things in the world he had no claim to. One was--

"--miiiine, baby, sarge just gave it to me today," the handsome youth crowed, flipping the saperka around his hand as expertly as a Vortixx would a pistol. "A week ahead of the other recruits in my class, save this goofball over here."

He hurled it with an unpracticed flick of the wrist; it would have hit the beautiful young girl pouring herself a beer by the crowded kitchen counter if she hadn't twirled on her foot and thrown it back with a laugh.

"And you'll lose it a week sooner, if you don't learn to aim, ya stunad."

"Ohhh, look at me, I'm the Munequita, I'm so much better than everyone in the class because I think I'm the only one who can appreciate the sergeant's midriff and pass her grappling test at the same time--"

"--We both know that's its fantastic you smug lunk--"

"--but my brother's the one with the guts to ask her out--"

"--DON'T YOU DO IT--"

"WATCH ME!"

The young girl hollered "MOOOOOM!" and slung her younger, more muscular brother over her shoulder, ready to slam him on his back over the table when a pretty, kindly Fe-Toa in a tattered bomber jacket stepped into the other room from the living room and beheld the scene. With a sigh (and rolled eyes) she raised both hands to give rise to a large metal block that fit squarely inside the four legs of the table.

"White, if I ask you to put your brother down, will you do it?"

"Oh, I'm puttin' him down, Mom."

Their mother sighed.

"Honey," she called back into the living room, "the kids broke the table in half again. We need you to repair it." Momhot turned back to her two children and shrugged. "Fiiine. Proceed."

SLAMMMMM

"Owwwww..."

Whitehot's laugh rang in his ears as he rolled off the table with a groan.

sniff

sniff

SCHWING

The other was hers. White's saperka had been the prize for whoever got the date with the sergeant.

Not that he'd gotten it.

Typical White.

"FIRST IN THE CLASS FIRST IN THE CLAAAAAAAASS! H O L L A!"

Whitehot waved her rolled-up commendation around almost phallically, slapping Redhot about each cheek with it repeatedly as she cackled. For his part, the younger Toa of Earth just rolled his eyes and groaned good-naturedly as she beat him up with it.

"They gave it to me almost before they even had time to finish writing it," she guffawed, bopping him atop the head with it and then chucking it onto the counter. "Asked around and nobody else from the District has theirs this early. You'd better start hanging around the mail room while you wait, Red, and get pree ###### familiar with it. It's gonna be where you're stationed after they figure out I can save the Koro on my own."

"Wallahi bruh," her brother finally said, flexing under his pullover, "I'd quit teasing me if I were you."

"Oh, are you threatening me? Threatening Private Whitehot Bomaye," are we? That's a crime now, Red, you're committing a felony. Red Bomaye, I charge you with being a ######boy of the first degree and request that you come with me to await trial by a jury of all ya #####made peers--"

Redhot flipped the table - the kitchen was so narrow that it landed balanced on its side instead of landing atop its surface - to spear Whitehot and carry her across the kitchen.

"NOT THROUGH THE WALL!" Pophot bellowed, so Red turned course slightly and tackled White right through the screen door.

sniff

"Don't be impatient, Red, it's not attractive. There's only three kids who have gotten theirs so far, and their aptitude in intelligence probably gave them a boost over y--"

sniff

"--fine, Mom, if it's really bugging him I'll talk to somebody, see what the holdup is--"

sniff

"Red, listen to me. I will fix this. Whatever has to happen, whoever I have to talk to, if I have to break my own ###### back we're going to figure out what happened and work at it, I pro--"

"ERAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

schwing

He dropped the tools to his feet, staring sullenly at the new trench in the street and panting his mantra, over and over.

erzu salvajemono

torana avaliona

saeva sareta

erzu salvajemono

torana avaliona

saeva sareta

saeva sareta

saeva sareta

whitehot bomaye!

sniff

When Red finally stopped muttering the names under his breath, he was done panting, but the gravel and earth of the street had been kicked up twenty yards underneath him, and when he went for a drink of water, the canteen grew slick with the blood his grip had drilled from his palms.

But...

None of the mannequins had a scrape. Not one. He'd kept his word.

It was a ###### and a half, but he'd kept his word. This time.

-Tyler

Edited by Luke Schwarz
  • Upvote 6

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC: An eye blearily opened, awakened by some distinct noise that wasn't quite right.

Are the walls that thin, or...

In a haze, the hammock's occupant figured it didn't exactly matter, and waited for sleep to return to him.

Fickle mistress that it was, sleep took her time, and his mind began to wander as those sharp eyes of his tried to bore through the ceiling.

I suppose this'd be the part where Wukong looks down from his high and mighty throne and says "I told you this'd happen".

Just like him too, rubbing it all in.

"You act like it's all a big game, Erzu."

"You can't take anything seriously, Erzu."

"You don't care about anyone but your own self, Erzu, you're a brat."

Bite me. Like you even know a thing about my life. I'm sure you've got great examples of honor and virtue in your stupid Gukko Force to look up to, like, I dunno, Skyra "I'm going to run off and have a fling with a convict" Daring.

Yeah, real quality stuff you've got there. Perfect guiding principle for me to "straighten my life out and stop being such a nuisance" with.

I hope you choke on it.

He vaguely noticed his hand placing a mint leaf in his mouth.

"...Tch."

Still fuming at the world in general, he nonetheless began to chew.

• Upvote 4

helo frens

IC: Larvi

Snap.

I was getting really frustrated with this Turaga. Every single thing he did and said seemed to be intentionally planned out for complete nonsense. It was like trying to have a conversation with a person who was suffering mad delusions, only at least those people weren't doing it intentionally.

I always go out of my way to keep as calm as I can, but this Karzing Karz of a Karz was really pushing my patience far beyond the breaking point. I could deal with being dragged around, I could deal with being pulled into all sorts of misadventure. But this? No.

"Why don't you just go find somewhere to rot away, you ancient Karz. Looks like you're already mostly there anyway."

WHY DID I JUST SAY THAT OUT LOUD!?

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

"That why you're bugging us? Lonely old geezer who can't find any other way to entertain himself besides harassing people spouting nonsense? How sad, I almost feel like giving a karz."

Okay, maaaaaybe i meant to say that one out loud. But seriously, it wasn't even my fault anymore.

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Torana

- - - - -

"Where are we going, Kaz?"

"Nowhere in particular. Just... out there, somewhere. Deeper into the jungle, where there are more Rahi."

Pangs of nervousness stirred within her.

"Rahi? Isn't it dangerous out there? Mom told me it was dangerous."

He nodded.

"Yup. Sure is. But that's why we're headin' out, right? Gotta find some Rahi if we're gonna eat."

She wondered what he meant for a few seconds before it occurred to her.

"We're going hunting?"

"Uh, yeah - dad didn't tell you? Today's the day when you learn how to pull your weight, sis."

"But I don't know how to hunt!"

He gave a warm smile and chuckled briefly. "That's why I'm gonna teach you. Today's lesson is Rahi-hunting one-oh-one," Kazon quipped, giving his little sister a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

"But you said you don't even know where you're going!"

"Well, Rus gave me a general idea of where to go and where to look, back when he taught me. Now I'm the one teaching you. And the first thing Rus taught me-"

He unslung the quiver from his shoulder and knelt down to strap it to Torana's back.

"-was to carry the arrows."

"It's really heavy."

"Oh, I know. But it's important that you carry them. They're going to make you stronger - in more ways than one. We're gonna need them if we want to actually kill anything today. Plus, all the food we're gonna get is gonna help you grow big and strong so carrying the arrows will be no problem for you, one day, when I'm not around and you're gonna have to teach Faya or Lin to do the same."

She, nodded, understanding what he meant, but pinched her expression at the thought of killing Rahi. Her brother caught it and sighed knowingly.

"We're gonna have to kill them if we want to eat them, Tor. It's just how it works. If we don't, we're not gonna eat. Besides, it's better than trying to hunt with this."

He brandished the Yari that'd been slung across his back, crouching down and holding it up so his sister could see the Avaliona family ornamentation etched into the blade and handle.

"This'll be yours to carry one day, Torana. It's been in our family for... I don't know how long, dad might know... but the important thing is that it reminds us of who we are. You understand that, right?"

She stared at it, running her fingers across the engravings, lost in thought for a moment.

"Rus told me it was really valuable. But... why don't we just sell it? The we won't have to hunt!"

Kazon frowned a bit. "I know, Tor. We could probably get a lot of money for it. But that's not who we are. This spear - what it reminds us of - it's family. We're all in this together, Tor. If we lose this, we lose each other. We need to make sure that never happens, right?"

- - - - -

She opened her eyes, feeling the warm Ta-Koro air flooding through the window and brushing at her face.

"Right," she whispered to herself.

Edited by Perpendicular
  • Upvote 3

IC Lain

The Bo-Toa was beyond done with the old geezer, he began walking past him at a brisk pace towards... wherever it was they were heading.

"Ya can stick with us if ya fancy it, Larvi. But we ain' got time ta dally around 'ere." He snuck in a backways glance at the aforementioned geezer. "You aren't invited, so best not ta follow unless yer feelin' a little dissatisfied with yer current number of appendages."

...but close to it

So now the choices were to follow, or stay behind with the old loon. Wait, there was only one choice there. Trying to calm myself down and prevent any more irritated outbursts, I hunkered my head low and followed after Lain.

I wanted to say that I didn't normally shout at people like that, but... I wasn't certain if that would make things better or worse. This day was already embarrassing enough as it was, I didn't really want to add more to it.

"O-okay." 

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

IC: Praxis

What's this fool buggering on about.

"What are you buggering on about? What's going on in Ko-Koro?"

- - - - - - - - - -

IC: Dessa

"Oh! Uh, just in case you were wondering, it's my extended family that I was talking about when I said 'fourteen people'. Best get that confusion out of the way. My mother and father, two grandparents, me, my two sisters, two uncles, two aunts, and three cousins."

IC: "That's Lain for ya," Ash said, drawing up alongside Larvi, as the rest of their motley crew followed suit and left the old man in the dust. "Solid guy, but he doesn't like mincing words very much."

IC:

"One for mincin' people, though," Lumira said, adjusting her blazer 'til she A) figured she looked sufficiently cool and B) her fingers were no longer at risk of being jammed into this old guy's soft, soft eyeballs. "So, let's get movin' before he gets a hankering for it."

IC: Alfon

"Keep it in your pants, Ril."

IC:

"SO REO," I said, leaning as far towards him and away from everyone else as humanly possible. "We were headed for Ko when would we be headed to Ko I think we should head off soon."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

Okay, the threats were unnerving, but now? Mincing people?! What had I gotten myself into who were these people were they going to hurt me how could I get out of here help me.

It was times like these that made me wish I had never gotten out of bed in the morning.

This is my signature

It has words in it

They don't say much

BZPRPG profiles

IC:

"You gonna pop?"

Not here.

"Whenever you're ready," the Toa of Ice grumbled, rubbing at his forehead irritably with both thumbs.

"Remember your deep breathing. Wooo

saaaaaaah.

Woooooooooosahhh.

-Tyler

Edited by Luke Schwarz

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

And so it was that Red Bomaye returned to the sleepless Sareta home after dawn had broken, with three buttons undone, taped up palms, a container for a six-pack of coffees, and full hoodie pockets of creams and sugars for interested parties.

He tried slipping in quietly, but he pretty much assumed that everyone in the house was awake anyway, so he made his way as quietly as he could manage (how did I fail again?) to the kitchen where they'd found Miss Sareta and set the coffees down out of the counter, with enough space that even his renownedly violent elbows couldn't knock them over. Taking one coffee for himself, the Toa of Earth withdrew one of the leaves that he'd wrapped the sugar in and began mixing it into his drink.

He considered hopping up onto the counter to sit and drink, the way he and Whitehot used to do when there was no one else in the kitchen at home, but that stretched the Saretas' hospitality a little too far.

-Tyler

Edited by Luke Schwarz

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC: "Figures it'd be you." a distinctly green voice remarked from down the hall, the short distance away that the living room was.

Rubbing his eyes, the lanky Bo-Toa looked his mountainous compadre's form up and down, expression mostly unreadable.

"...You look like Karz, man. What'd you get up to last night?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

IC: "Buddy, I think you should take a look at the paperwork. Sir."

Edited by Best Gungnir

helo frens

IC: Torana

Rumble rumble

Breathing deeply, she rubbed her bleary eyes and sat up on the cot. Looking around the room, she didn't find Saeva in her bed, but a cursory glance out the window revealed where the Ta-Toa had gone.

Rumble rumble

Is that my stomach?

She looked down.

R u m b l e  r u m b l e

The floorboards were shaking.

Oh.

Taking one last glance out the window, she decided to let Saeva be and made her way downstairs and smelled something wonderful.

"Mornin', Erzu. Mornin' big guy," she mumbled, giving Redhot a playful punch to the shoulder and taking a cup for herself. "Your taste in coffee is top notch, but your, uh... discretion? Ain't so hot."

She smirked in between sips.

• Upvote 1

IC: He looked over his shoulder as their third member joined the growing breakfast session. "Mornin', Torana."

Settling his gaze back on Red, he gave a smirk of his own. "No kidding. Repaving the street, huh? Surprised some of Sareta's old friends didn't speak up about it." 

Referring to the Guard, of course. He'd have to keep a close eye on Red if they ever hit up home.

...Then again, he'd pay his right arm to see the Gukko Force try and deal with him.

helo frens