Infected Hau in Kanohi Pack

doodleloot

So recently I've ordered a 2001 Kanohi pack (the bag version, not the cardboard box) together with some other stuff on eBay.

When my order arrived, I opened the Kanohi pack first. And to my surprise, I found an infected Hau inside, like the ones that came with the Muaka set. Does anyone know in wich quantities these wered distributed in the Kanohi packs? I have never heard of anyone else finding an infected Hau like this.

Hail Denmark

They were included in the Kanohi packs in very small quantities - save perhaps the misprints, they were the hardest to find.

The infected Kanohi had to be hand-painted, the cost of which limited their distribution.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I have never heard of anyone else finding an infected Hau like this.

*Raises hand* I got one in the only mask pack I ever bought, back in 2001. But that was the box type. :shrugs:

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

You mean there was a way to get it without paying an arm and a leg by purchasing the Muaka set?  :o That's quite a shocker...

Sure was. You just had to buy mask packs until you got one, which, given the rarity, might have cost you more than the Muaka set in the long run. :P

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You mean there was a way to get it without paying an arm and a leg by purchasing the Muaka set?  :o That's quite a shocker...

Sure was. You just had to buy mask packs until you got one, which, given the rarity, might have cost you more than the Muaka set in the long run. :P

But in that case you'd also end up with some really good masks like the gold/silver or many of the Toa's various colors. :) I'd say for a collector it'd be the better deal (unless you love tigers and bulls) :D

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I didn't know that Infected Hau came in the Mask packs. I assumed that they were only on the Muaka sets. Even though they were rare, its really neat that one could get an Infected Hau in this way. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

But in that case you'd also end up with some really good masks like the gold/silver or many of the Toa's various colors. :) I'd say for a collector it'd be the better deal (unless you love tigers and bulls) :D

The gold and silver masks were only available in the second series of mask packs. The infected masks, to my knowledge, were only in the first series of mask packs.

It's true a collector could build up quite a collection by buying that many mask packs, but I'd argue that just about anyone else would be missing out on one of the best sets of early Bionicle. Muaka and Kane Ra had a great function that made for one of the most thrilling competitive "games" of any of the paired Rahi or Toa.

• Upvote 3

The gold and silver masks were only available in the second series of mask packs. The infected masks, to my knowledge, were only in the first series of mask packs.

It's true a collector could build up quite a collection by buying that many mask packs, but I'd argue that just about anyone else would be missing out on one of the best sets of early Bionicle. Muaka and Kane Ra had a great function that made for one of the most thrilling competitive "games" of any of the paired Rahi or Toa.

Ah well, I sadly wouldn't know, I never had the chance to own any of the 2001 Rahi sets. :(

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I just ordered a mask pack on eBay and also I ordered a rare yes I repeat extremely rare smoke kaukau on eBay for only 12.99 I hope the mask pack contains rare masks I can't wait they are coming in a few days wahooooo!!!!!!!

I have never heard of anyone else finding an infected Hau like this.

*Raises hand* I got one in the only mask pack I ever bought, back in 2001. But that was the box type. :shrugs:

Cool man

Edit: Double post merged!

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

I just ordered a mask pack on eBay and also I ordered a rare yes I repeat extremely rare smoke kaukau on eBay for only 12.99 I hope the mask pack contains rare masks I can't wait they are coming in a few days wahooooo!!!!!!!

The "smoke" (Trans. Brown) Kaukau is not really any rarer than other recolored Toa Mata masks to my knowledge. It's the Kaukau worn by Onua, and as such I would expect it to only be as rare as, say, a red Miru or black Kakama.

• Upvote 2

The "smoke" (Trans. Brown) Kaukau is not really any rarer than other recolored Toa Mata masks to my knowledge. It's the Kaukau worn by Onua, and as such I would expect it to only be as rare as, say, a red Miru or black Kakama.

BUUT finding one on eBay is extremely rare and you can't find them on any other website except bricklink or etc so it's rare to me oh also I found an orange ruru in my mask pack yesterday that I also ordered on eBay and got in the mail yesterday so is that considered uncommon or rare? because you can only get the orange ruru in the manas set or if your lucky a mask pack like I got

BUUT finding one on eBay is extremely rare and you can't find them on any other website except bricklink or etc so it's rare to me oh also I found an orange ruru in my mask pack yesterday that I also ordered on eBay and got in the mail yesterday so is that considered uncommon or rare? because you can only get the orange ruru in the manas set or if your lucky a mask pack like I got

In general, masks that are available in both mask packs and sets are less rare than ones only available in mask packs (the infected Hau being only marginally less rare since its availability in mask packs WAS more limited than other masks). So the orange Ruru would be less rare than, say, an orange Matatu.

Of course, this many years after the sets came out, rarity is driven just as much by demand as by distribution, since masks that are less valued by collectors will be cheaper and more obtainable than ones with a high perceived value. That probably accounts for the rarity of various Kaukau colors, since their transparency makes them quite valuable to MOCists, and as such there are fewer on the open marketplace.

I wonder who has a purple kaukau? That would be cool or a translucent glow in the dark kaukau or a lava colored kaukau

In general, masks that are available in both mask packs and sets are less rare than ones only available in mask packs (the infected Hau being only marginally less rare since its availability in mask packs WAS more limited than other masks). So the orange Ruru would be less rare than, say, an orange Matatu.Of course, this many years after the sets came out, rarity is driven just as much by demand as by distribution, since masks that are less valued by collectors will be cheaper and more obtainable than ones with a high perceived value. That probably accounts for the rarity of various Kaukau colors, since their transparency makes them quite valuable to MOCists, and as such there are fewer on the open marketplace.

I wish I could use my orange ruru for a moc but I don't have any ideas

Look at my album and you'll see a few of my mocs

Edited by -Windrider-

Aye, the gold/silver kanohi came in the kanohi/krana packs.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png