Solid Gold Mask of Creation

Tuuli

They could do it, but I hope they release a plastic version too.

A building contest with the mask as a prize would be awesome.

There is absolutely zero chance that Lego would produce a mask in solid gold and not in regular plastic. Gold is too expensive to make more than a few masks in, and molds are so expensive that Lego wouldn't even consider making one just for a part which wouldn't go into wide circulation.

What about the gold Haus and Platinum Avohkii? Also the Sterling Silver Krana-Kals and the white metal Krana-Kals.

The point he was making is all those things had plastic counterparts that were more widely sold. They would never make a mask exclusively in solid gold. It's simply not practical.

There is absolutely zero chance that Lego would produce a mask in solid gold and not in regular plastic. Gold is too expensive to make more than a few masks in, and molds are so expensive that Lego wouldn't even consider making one just for a part which wouldn't go into wide circulation.

What about the gold Haus and Platinum Avohkii? Also the Sterling Silver Krana-Kals and the white metal Krana-Kals.

The point he was making is all those things had plastic counterparts that were more widely sold. They would never make a mask exclusively in solid gold. It's simply not practical.

Oh, I thought he meant that there would be one mask in solid gold and lots more with the same shape in gold-colored plastic.

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Oh, I thought he meant that there would be one mask in solid gold and lots more with the same shape in gold-colored plastic.

Well, I have no doubt the Mask of Creation is going to be molded in gold plastic. That's far more certain than any guess about a solid gold version. Even if they make several solid gold versions of the mask, they will be far out-numbered by their plastic counterparts, because making a mask that's exclusively available in expensive soft metal is just a terrible idea. Terrible.

That being said, I still don't think it's going to happen. LEGO hasn't done solid gold piece giveaways in quite some time now. I'd be surprised if they revived the practice for what could just be a terrible flop.

(Not that I think Bionicle's return is going to be a flop, but they're taking a gamble here, and not all people are willing to go all-in.)

Another question is where we'll be seeing this mask set-wise. Will it be the first or second wave? Or what if it ends up being a random collectible randomly packaged? Or just a promotional thing?

How long did it take for us to get a Mask of Life after it first appeared?

You mean, after the final, 2007 version appeared? One full year—until Toa Ignika came out in Winter 2008. In 2006 they couldn't seem to decide WHAT the Mask of Life was supposed to look like, and the only one of those early versions that was released was the one on Vezon's head (so, if you count those incarnations, then it took less than a year).

I doubt Lego is planning to make that mistake again, so I'd reckon this Mask of Creation will come out in a set within a year of the new theme's start.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Another question is where we'll be seeing this mask set-wise. Will it be the first or second wave? Or what if it ends up being a random collectible randomly packaged? Or just a promotional thing?

How long did it take for us to get a Mask of Life after it first appeared?

Well for a while we didn't have a final design for the Ignika. Lego looks like they're not taking that road again. The video clearly shows a complete finalized view of the mask as a piece.

I highly doubt that Lego would release a solid gold Mask of Creation, but I wouldn't be suprised if they release a plastic one packaged with a summer wave titan set. It's way on the costly side of things to make and giveaway a solid gold mask within the first year or two of Bionicle's return. I think Lego may do so if it's return is succesful, but it'd still be very unlikely they'll want to produce an expensive piece. It would also be a very risky and silly move on Lego's part because it has been nearly five years since the end of Bionicle's initial end and next year's sales numbers could show a hit or miss, so Lego may give up quite a bit of money for a theme that is not selling well.

It would be awesome though.

Edited by Rooster Nui

Shame you'd think Lego could flop!

I hate to repeat just about everyone ever but...

clearly galidor is the pinnacle of set design

why don't they release a special-edition solid gold nick bluetooth

Oh man, someone quick, hire this guy as the new CEO of Lego. He knows what he's talking about. Can we get copper and silver versions too? #Galidor2015

:P  lul

So basically you're telling me that Bionicle won't sell great. You're joking right?

No one actually knows. The sets most likely will sell great for us, the fan community, but the majority of people that it will be marketed towards are new consumers who've never seen or heard of Bionicle before. Whether they will like Bionicle or not doesn't have a solid answer. Depends on how Lego makes it and how they catch these consumers' attention. A lot of these are little kids that might find they like a different theme more than Bionicle 2015 if Bionicle doesn't prove itself strong enough.

I have no doubt that Lego knows what it's doing and that Bionicle will at least be somewhat successful enough to keep going. I don't think Lego would make this theme unless they knew it would be able to do well. And Bionicle 2015 hasn't come out yet anyway so who knows, for all we know it could be utter garbage. Again, I doubt it will be, but there is nothing that we know of that can tell us for sure whether or not it will be good or successful until it comes out in January.

So basically you're telling me that Bionicle won't sell great. You're joking right?

No one actually knows. The sets most likely will sell great for us, the fan community, but the majority of people that it will be marketed towards are new consumers who've never seen or heard of Bionicle before. Whether they will like Bionicle or not doesn't have a solid answer. Depends on how Lego makes it and how they catch these consumers' attention. A lot of these are little kids that might find they like a different theme more than Bionicle 2015 if Bionicle doesn't prove itself strong enough.

I have no doubt that Lego knows what it's doing and that Bionicle will at least be somewhat successful enough to keep going. I don't think Lego would make this theme unless they knew it would be able to do well. And Bionicle 2015 hasn't come out yet anyway so who knows, for all we know it could be utter garbage. Again, I doubt it will be, but there is nothing that we know of that can tell us for sure whether or not it will be good or successful until it comes out in January.

Personally, I don't think there's much chance of new Bionicle being a flop. Lego's only had a few "failed" themes in recent years, and of those, precious few of them have been in-house themes (i.e. not licensed), and NONE have been the kind of "big bang" themes that they devote considerable resources toward, with Bionicle looking to be another of those. For Bionicle to fail would require significant external factors, many of them exceedingly unlikely—kids would have to stop enjoying constraction sets en masse (since Bionicle is likely to be the primary constraction theme), the new primary story medium would have to be even worse or less popular than Hero Factory's TV episodes, or the theme would have to be made so controversial in some way or another that the theme becomes verboten for parents and the rest of the Lego-buying audience. I can't see any of those things happening.

Don't get me wrong—the new Bionicle theme might not last as long as the original. It may draw to a close within half the length of the original theme's ten-year lifespan. But any multi-year theme is hard to consider a "failure", since continuing to even just a second year requires the theme to have been a success for the first year, and there's practically no chance that the new Bionicle will fail to the same extent as Galidor did—not when Lego has had more than ten years of successes to learn from since 2002.

*snip*

*snip*

Don't get me wrong—the new Bionicle theme might not last as long as the original. It may draw to a close within half the length of the original theme's ten-year lifespan. But any multi-year theme is hard to consider a "failure", since continuing to even just a second year requires the theme to have been a success for the first year, and there's practically no chance that the new Bionicle will fail to the same extent as Galidor did—not when Lego has had more than ten years of successes to learn from since 2002.

I don't think anything can fail as bad as Galidor.   :D

But I totally agree with you here. I just want the point to be made that nothing is 100%. Perhaps the look and feel of Bionicle just won't be popular or appealing anymore. I doubt it, but there is nothing to say that Bionicle 2015 is floating safely on a cloud towards success. (Oh no! Sacrilege! How is it possible that Bionicle could ever not be good?! The fan base will tear me apart for my sins...)

But who am I kidding, we all know Bionicle is gonna be good.  :P

Edited by Banana Gunz

I don't think anything can fail as bad as Galidor. :D

Jack Stone says hi. :P

Back on topic, I doubt that TLG would make a completly solid gold MoCr, mainly because of how weak it would be connection-wise. I could possibly see them doing a gold-coated copper (or any other metal) one, but other than that I don't think that it will be happening.

Edited by Ayliffe

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Twitter Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

No reason this couldn't happen, we got a platinum avohkii right? Watch MCs head explode just as he finishes his 100% collection and they release another unique mask :P

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

Oh really now? Then what is this?

10518842_365369543629533_120960490365424

Yeah. Seen that already... Just because something eists however doens't mean it will ever leave Lego HQ...

Wait, are those photos real?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

If these get released to the public in any way. I will be attempting to get them. Sadly, they had to make all 7 masks! It's cool, and I love seeing them all, but for the sake of a complete collection, It's insane to think about. My heart sunk when I saw all 7...

@Reya: I did the math, based on gold prices, if they are the same weight and carat as the gold Hau from 01, they would be worth a total of $5634.23 just in gold value, about 800 each. The Platinum Avohkii alone is worth $4963.47, so based off of metal value, the 7 gold masks out due the PA, but when you get collector value and history, I bet the PA would win. Being the rarest piece in the world.

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Yes they are real and they will be holding a competition to see who wins the gold masks

Oh really now? Then what is this?10518842_365369543629533_120960490365424

Yeah. Seen that already... Just because something eists however doens't mean it will ever leave Lego HQ...

I guess you don't want the chance to win gold masks.

Those masks are sick. I wonder what there carat rating is.

I would say a full collection of those is easily worth more than the Platinum Avohkii.

They're 14-karat. We don't know yet how they'll be given away, only that they will be.

I'd love a chance to win something that MC doesn't have... But sadly I never win anything! We'll see though, certainly be very interesting to see what (if anything) becomes of those masks. We had that pic posted on our group a week or so ago but I've no idea of it's source, does anyone else know

They're 14-karat. We don't know yet how they'll be given away, only that they will be.

How pray tell do we know that? Where did this knowledge come from exactly???

Edited by Munty

I'd love a chance to win something that MC doesn't have... But sadly I never win anything! We'll see though, certainly be very interesting to see what (if anything) becomes of those masks. We had that pic posted on our group a week or so ago but I've no idea of it's source, does anyone else know

How pray tell do we know that? Where did this knowledge come from exactly???

The masks were revealed at the BIONICLE panel at New York Comic Con, and were also on display at the LEGO store event that evening. All the photos are from one of those two events. The details are mentioned in this video.

When did NYCC start? We first saw that pic on October 9th so I guess that makes sense right? In which case it would certainly seem like seven new solid gold masks. Wow...

If anyone here wins these I just want WHOEVER it is to know. I'M READY TO MAKE A GLORIOUS OFFER OF A TRADE, OR CASH OR WHATEVER FOR THESE! THEY BELONG IN THE BIONICLE MUSEUM!

MC

• Upvote 1

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC