If you thought Makuta were OP before...

Toa Chuck

...then just take a look at the list of level 6 kraata powers.

I mean, seriously? Nearly any of the level six kraata could diable a toa nuva fairly easily, and the ease with which they could infect matoran is almost ridiculous.

My three questions are this.

1. Level six kraata are said to be highly intellegent, and can directly communicate with Makuta. Why did Teridax not use these things to quickly and easily dominate the matoran? I realize he was just biding his time, but wouldn't it have been so much simpler to infect all of the matoran, and get them to do exactly what he wanted? A simple but effective method would simply be to send a level 6 sleep kraata, and a level six elasticity kraata to each village to disable and infect all the matoran rather easily.

2. How the heck did the turaga manage to capture all those kraata? I know turaga are smart, but how would they manage to catch any of the more powerful ones? Even all six turaga working together would stand no chance against many of the level six kraata. Even if they used traps, many of the kraata are adept at burrowing, or otherwise escaping from such traps. Even if pinning a kraata somehow can restrain their power, there are kraata like plasma and molecular disruption which are literally surrounded by an aura of destruction.

Also, as a side note, how did Tahu and Kopaka manage to trap the kraata in the cave, when there are so many types of kraata that could destroy the barriers rather easily given enough time?

3. Why were Makuta's six elite rahkshi rather pathetic compared to their level six kraata versions? For example, kraata of fear and anger have powerful auras, but their rahkshi versions have to actually hit the target with energy. Seeing as the rahkshi's main advantage is size and physical strength, would it not make more sense to send rahkshi with defensive abilities like quick healing, limited invulnerability, or ice resistance, while backing them up with powerful kraata like chain lightning, darkness, or confusion?

• Upvote 1

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

For the first question: I'd imagine it would be far more taxing for a Makuta to create higher-level Kraata - more antidermis required, etc.

Besides, you know, "the Plan" meant that he didn't really want to beat them, apparently...

No idea how the Turaga caught the Kraata. For Tahu and Kopaka, I'd assume that the "unbreakable rock" of Mata Nui's face played a part in the Kraata's inability to escape? (Maybe?)

Third... yes, that would make sense, but Teridax was less focused on the physical dominance of the Rahkshi, so much as their ability to test the Toa. (Remember the whole "anger to destroy their unity" etc. speech in MOL?)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

For the first question: I'd imagine it would be far more taxing for a Makuta to create higher-level Kraata - more antidermis required, etc.

Besides, you know, "the Plan" meant that he didn't really want to beat them, apparently...

No idea how the Turaga caught the Kraata. For Tahu and Kopaka, I'd assume that the "unbreakable rock" of Mata Nui's face played a part in the Kraata's inability to escape? (Maybe?)

Third... yes, that would make sense, but Teridax was less focused on the physical dominance of the Rahkshi, so much as their ability to test the Toa. (Remember the whole "anger to destroy their unity" etc. speech in MOL?)

1. Kraata are created as level one, and over time "grow up" to level six, with a rare few evolving into level seven shadow kraata. As for the second part, there would not be much point to "The plan" if there is a simpler equally effective plan that also prevents unexpected rebellion after completion.

2. Well, Guurahk and Paarahk were able to compromise the cave's integrity with their powers, so presumably it isn't made of mata-nui rock.

3. The first three Rahkshi weren't like that though. Poison, fragmentation, and disintegration seemed mostly just powerful and destructive.

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

1. Level six kraata are said to be highly intellegent, and can directly communicate with Makuta. Why did Teridax not use these things to quickly and easily dominate the matoran?

He wasn't out to do that; he was luring them along to fake victories so they could play their role in the Plan, so he could take Mata Nui's place. Of course, it's still a valid question why he didn't do that before he formed the Plan. (I think the answer to that would simply be, "he didn't need to" -- impersonating Dume and using Vahki worked.)

I realize he was just biding his time, but wouldn't it have been so much simpler to infect all of the matoran, and get them to do exactly what he wanted?

It was made clear he didn't want just mind-slaves; he wanted them to actually believe he was worthy of their loyalty. Hence the original plan with the Vahi and the mind-wiping pods; they would wake up and he would indoctrinate them in the false version of history where he was their rescuer. (And this was before he finally realized the final Plan, when he was trapped in the protocage.)

2. How the heck did the turaga manage to capture all those kraata?

Veeeeeeeeery carefully. :P

I know turaga are smart, but how would they manage to catch any of the more powerful ones?

It's a little like saying "I know Macgyver is smart, but how did he manage to win in all those impossible situations?" We don't really get to know the answers unless we watch the episodes. :P In Macgyver's case, you can do that, but with the Turaga capturing Kraata, unfortunately those stories were largely left untold.

Plus side: Lots and lots of fanfic potential. :D

Even all six turaga working together would stand no chance against many of the level six kraata.

Hm, you may be falling for "power level fallacy", the idea that victory depends solely on how powerful the competitors are, but in reality it all depends on the situation and intelligence (often element of surprise). There are also traps they could set in some cases.

One easy "common solution" would be Vakama with Huna, sneak up on Kraata, disable it before it knows he's there.

But in any situation where that wasn't possible, they would have to approach each type with the right strategy to handle its powers (or prevent the usage of them).

It's similar to survivalists who handle deadly snakes in real life, basically. Yeah, the snake has the power to kill any human, but it's not that simple.

Also, as a side note, how did Tahu and Kopaka manage to trap the kraata in the cave, when there are so many types of kraata that could destroy the barriers rather easily given enough time?

I don't really recall if that was dealt with in detail. I thought it was just a delaying tactic, but could be wrong. You do have to keep in mind Kraata like dark caves; they might have just wanted to stay in once possible enemies were no longer before their eyes. Also keep in mind Kraata/Rahkshi without a specific mission act more like wild animals than intelligent beings, no matter the level.

3. Why were Makuta's six elite rahkshi rather pathetic compared to their level six kraata versions? For example, kraata of fear and anger have powerful auras, but their rahkshi versions have to actually hit the target with energy.

The Kraata's aura is still there (the Rahkshi suit is controlled by a Kraata inside it), though it might be dampened by the suit. Either way, the armor protects the slug, so yeah. :P And I don't really see them as pathetic... I mean, the things can hover (at high speed), smash through tough obstacles like they were powder, and level entire cities.

That aside, assuming the auras aren't dampened, either way that aura will only affect you if you're close enough. The slug has to inch along to reach you, the Rahkshi can run (or fly :P).

Even if it is dampened, throwing the power over a long distance could arguably be worse than an effect that requires close proximity. (But you'd still be somewhat right in that case. But things have pros and cons. Dampening armor might be a setback, but so would the biological vulnerability of a mere slug versus metal armor, yanno?)

(I'm pretty sure it isn't dampened, though; I seem to recall that aura effect in one of the comics.)

Seeing as the rahkshi's main advantage is size and physical strength, would it not make more sense to send rahkshi with defensive abilities like quick healing, limited invulnerability, or ice resistance, while backing them up with powerful kraata like chain lightning, darkness, or confusion?

In many situations, yes. I'm not sure why that specific one would be such a situation. Regardless, I think in this case the "rule of cool" wins; kids want cool weapon-like powers, not "oh this guy can... um... heal really fast! Rawr!"

(Okay, yes, Wolverine does that. :P But that's not all he's got, obviously.)

For Tahu and Kopaka, I'd assume that the "unbreakable rock" of Mata Nui's face played a part in the Kraata's inability to escape? (Maybe?)

I don't see how it could. That was way underground from that place. (And they wouldn't be able to reshape it themselves either, right?)

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

For Tahu and Kopaka, I'd assume that the "unbreakable rock" of Mata Nui's face played a part in the Kraata's inability to escape? (Maybe?)

I don't see how it could. That was way underground from that place. (And they wouldn't be able to reshape it themselves either, right?)

Ah, right. I confused that with another event.

1. Kraata are created as level one, and over time "grow up" to level six, with a rare few evolving into level seven shadow kraata. As for the second part, there would not be much point to "The plan" if there is a simpler equally effective plan that also prevents unexpected rebellion after completion.

2. Well, Guurahk and Paarahk were able to compromise the cave's integrity with their powers, so presumably it isn't made of mata-nui rock.

3. The first three Rahkshi weren't like that though. Poison, fragmentation, and disintegration seemed mostly just powerful and destructive.

1. Time might be the problem, then, in that case. Never mind... one thousand years. I don't know.

2. See above.

3. Fair point. Maybe he felt that those six Rahkshi types complemented each other best somehow?

(I really don't know what I'm talking about, I've forgotten a lot of the MOL-era stuff...)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

The Makuta chose those specific breeds of kraata/rahkshi more for psychological warfare purposes, as each of them were the opposite of each tribes religious and cultural values and principals that have been developed with help by the Turaga for the past one thousand years. Such witnessing of the living embodiments of the tribes' vices would have added to the apocalyptic hysteria that came with the appearance of a Toa team with seven members. The legendary fight between Shadow and Light once again had Teridax using psychological warfare for the first phase of the duel. He loves to mess with people's heads.

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

...then just take a look at the list of level 6 kraata powers.

I mean, seriously? Nearly any of the level six kraata could diable a toa nuva fairly easily, and the ease with which they could infect matoran is almost ridiculous.

1. Level six kraata are said to be highly intellegent, and can directly communicate with Makuta. Why did Teridax not use these things to quickly and easily dominate the matoran? I realize he was just biding his time, but wouldn't it have been so much simpler to infect all of the matoran, and get them to do exactly what he wanted? A simple but effective method would simply be to send a level 6 sleep kraata, and a level six elasticity kraata to each village to disable and infect all the matoran rather easily.

2. How the heck did the turaga manage to capture all those kraata? I know turaga are smart, but how would they manage to catch any of the more powerful ones? Even all six turaga working together would stand no chance against many of the level six kraata. Even if they used traps, many of the kraata are adept at burrowing, or otherwise escaping from such traps. Even if pinning a kraata somehow can restrain their power, there are kraata like plasma and molecular disruption which are literally surrounded by an aura of destruction.

3. Why were Makuta's six elite rahkshi rather pathetic compared to their level six kraata versions? For example, kraata of fear and anger have powerful auras, but their rahkshi versions have to actually hit the target with energy. Seeing as the rahkshi's main advantage is size and physical strength, would it not make more sense to send rahkshi with defensive abilities like quick healing, limited invulnerability, or ice resistance, while backing them up with powerful kraata like chain lightning, darkness, or confusion?

1. He just wanted to distract them, not dominate them.

2. Turaga are still powerful, even though they have "retired." Six of them could easily overcome two or three kraata.

3. Is being able to kill Jaller with fear not powerful enough? They were trying to get the avohkii, not kill the toa. Teridax needed them later on to awake Mata Nui.

Plus, it takes ages for kraata to become rahkshi armour, so it takes even longer to get lv 6 kraata. My avatar should know!