Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

IC: "I am prepared to commit to whatever action the Alizarin deem wise. I would like to remind you, however, that those saboteurs infiltrated a Natsirt station. I am confident that they would have a more difficult time succeeding with a similar endeavor against us."

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

All right.System Minefield: Generally reserved for strategically critical areas, a System Minefield makes the outer edges of the system thick with some sort of defensive mechanism, from standard explosive mines to nuclear shaped charges, or something similarly powerful. The System Minefield is expensive to create and uphold, but it gives a certain chance to fire upon an incoming target with the field's mines.Build Time: Two WeeksIndustry Cost: 1-5. Each point of Industry put into a System Minefield increases the chance of Interception by 10%(+2 to the roll of a d20, precisely) up to a max of 5 Industry Points. If the enemy is not intercepted, it has slipped by undetected. This only functions in the outer edges of the system; closer in, you must rely on your fleets to defend yourself.

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOCGlad to see the Diemawr's view of the Natsirt. Means they underestimate them; underestimating an enemy is always a mistake.IC [Citamgine/General]A time of preparation was upon the Natsirt people; the military, while it had not given away any plans to the public, had gone through the press to urge the citizenry to prepare for hard times ahead. In the skies of Citamgine the fleet rested, dry docked but ready. The starbase Honored Protector had been repaired, it's crew running battle simulations while the TAP military committees continued talking their plans. The Natsirt would be ready for the storm that waited ahead.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Don't really see the underestimation, myself. The Diemawr have closed borders and no direct dealings with the Natsirt. Combine that with their seriousness about internal security, and you get two things.1. Any Natsirt found in Diemawr territory can safely be assumed to be a spy, and shot on sight.2. Any Natsirt in a position to do anything in Diemawr territory will be found. They're distinctly different from both Diemawr and Syrrinx, so they'll stand out.Unless you're in a stealth-ship hovering too far away to get anything done, if you're in Diemawr territory - say, on a space station, or a planet - you'll be found.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It's been like that all along.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC(Lord President): "An apt saying, if overlong. That very sentiment is behind our decision to keep our borders closed, and is precisely why any Natsirt would have a very hard time infiltrating anything within our territory. They are not Diemawr, they are not Syrrinx, and they do not have an embassy, so the only possibility is that they are not supposed to be here."OOC: Gotta contradict you Xom. At no point in this game have I rolled any dice.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCYeah, I should try thinking before typing.Too bad I don't even have any Diemawr DNA; then I'd have a chance of planting an operative, though with zero history. It's troublesome; can't get DNA without the Diemawr finding out and declaring war. That means both jellyfish declare war on me and my worlds burn. So I simply have to sit and wait, praying no one decides to kill me. Thankfully, the Pact should be hesitant to attack because of the TAP; besides the god jellyfish going and doing a little scouting and hitting the Leben, intel on S1 is zilch. The Pact has no idea what industrial bases the Kalarii or Osalieli have, and thus if their military leaders have half a brain would at least pause before rushing through my borders in fear of invoking the wraith of a potentially much larger powerbase than their own.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC: "The Natsirt themselves might not, but an errant machine or fifth columnist might. We prefer to take no chances. Hence the written instructions."The second of the two Alizarin spoke, "We would also like to offer our thanks. We know that requesting some portion of your fleet to come aid in the patrolling of the Line is no small request when you could suffer a homeland attack as well."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: The word is wrath, Alex. A wraith is sort of like a ghost or a phantom.IC(Lord President): "We do not fear an attack on our own territory - the only direct line into our territory is blocked by a small flotilla of ships, giving us ample warning should the enemy attempt to attack that way. Because of this, the action on your border was given higher priority."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCDuly noted, though that does remind me of my stealth ships I need to get around to finishing so Xom can approve them...Also, if the bulk of the Diemawr fleet is tied up in Alizarin space... a lot can happen in transit time. Unless you stalled in responding to give your fleet the real life hours needed -which frankly would be low-, one could charge through the S6-S2 IL, rush into your homesystem, and burn your atmosphere or something. How one burns an atmosphere I haven't figured out yet, but I'm researching it. I'm pretty sure 2-13 connects, but even if it doesn't, you go from 2-29 to 2-13 to 2-12. Dispatch any defending vessels, burn the atmosphere, leave. Closest reinforcements would be a whole seven hours. The fleet could attack, wipe out your defense fleet, deploy whatever horrible weapon of mass destruction, and run like **** before you ships reached homeworld.Of course, it's always been my belief that when your home planet is destroyed your soldiers fight much harder, but having your homeworld wiped out would be a set back.

voidstars.png

OOC: I've got two full wings of Marwolaeth waiting at the S6 end of that IL, and Carreg-dur starbases over each of the planets in the Diemwnt Province. Such an assault on my territory would require rather more ships than I think the TAP can spare.That reminds me, though - and I thank you for this reminder - that I should do something with my spare IP.Begin construction of one Carreg-dur over Goron Trysor, another very important system of mine, and the 4th one I ever established. Can't build over Ynys Trysor just yet, but Goron Trysor could use the extra defenses.And actually, considering I've only got one system that connects to the IL, may as well pull those 8 Marwolaeth back to Ynys Trysor, so they're defending a single point rather than three plausible entry-points.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCRight, forgot that you patented starbase overload. Point taken.I'm going assume Daj returned from Alizarin Prime with Referon, before the whole blockade thing.IC [New Llaf/Daj]The corporate vessel orbited the planet, Daj watching out the window as the world turned. Behind him sat the woman, Referon, drinking a glass of water. He was effectively keeping her away from this organization, the IIA, keeping her from vanishing in the middle of the night. Who would of thought, an agency that had been regarded as bumbling fools, was actually just a front for something much, much, larger? With Referon's help he had gone deep, and as he did he saw just how far the roots went. The agency had decades to implant itself into the government; nothing could pull it out now.He didn't care, of course; so far they had done nothing that opposed his interests. In fact they seemed to be helping the government, making the process of a currency change easier and coordinating military effects. That was only what he had managed to access; they had several AI in place defending the system, more advanced than any he had seen before.AI; that was the one problem in all of this. Referon had given what she knew only in exchange for his search for an AI she called Unaware Light. He had heard rumors of such an AI in the past; an AI that was unlike any other, advanced enough to be considered sentient. So far he'd been unable to find the AI; he doubted the IIA even still had it active. If they were smart they would of studied it, found out what went wrong, and then destroy it's code. But Referon insisted, and he was not one to break a deal, no matter how pointless it may be.He turned, sitting down at his desk while Referon just stared into space. While the woman seemed to of had her sanity returned to her, quite often she would simply stare into nothingness, her mind somewhere else. She could sit there for hours doing nothing but that; it was unsettling. He tried not to notice, going to work on his business accounts while the woman sat and stared.Naturally his peace couldn't last long; an aide walked into the room, obviously shaken. "Sir, a transmission came in from the planet. We're being ordered to land at military base Lley for immediate search of the ship.""Send a response, say we'll comply and be down there as soon as possible." The man had been expecting this for some time. "Referon?"The woman snapped out of her trance with a jolt. "Yes?""Apparently your friends finally put two and two together." He stood up, straightening his shirt. "Thankfully, I put it together long before them. Let's go great them, shall we?"

voidstars.png

OOC: Wraith Of Gravity would be a good name for a rock band...

-Rover

OOC: Or a song, for that matter. Or both. Would certainly involve timpani, and probably orchestra as well. Might get to work on that later.Xom, with the tension between the two major factions, I think you're going to get your wish for a big war sometime soon. Maybe the biggest one that will ever happen in this game.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCPreferably later than sooner, all things considered. While as it stands it looks as if the TAP will lose, neither sides want to provoke a war. It's like the cold war; MAD is all too present. The TAP doesn't want to challenge the Pact because of it's size, and the Pact doesn't want to challenge the TAP because they have no clue what size it is.I foresee an era of politicking ahead of us, until the point is reached that one side feels it's stronger than the other and goes all out.

voidstars.png

OOC: Of course, there are risks associated with waiting to find out how scary your enemy really is - like finding out by having them invade once they've built up enough to curb-stomp you. If the TAP utilized 100% of Sector 1, they could be terrifying. Of course, the Pact are counting on the idea that the TAP have been about as efficient as they've been at colonisation, which, funnily enough, is untrue - the Pact have colonised their space much more effectively, even counting the Natiru out.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCWell, if I hadn't stopped colonizing early in the game, I'd of filled up much more space by now, and S1 would be nearly completely filled.Point being, as it stands the Pact and TAP can only guess at each others strengths; hence, neither one really wants to attack for the risk of being curbstompped. But as you point out, waiting could result in curbstompping. It's a tricky problem for the military tacticians back home.

voidstars.png

IC: (GM)Light may be the fastest thing around, but it still takes a year to travel a light year.A great cone of X-Ray band radiation hit the inhabited planet in 1-2. The planet didn't stop it. The planet barely left a hole in it. But the Natsirt on the world below were able to measure the spread of the cone, and trace it back to its source; a world orbiting 1-5.

-Rover

IC [Citamgine/General]This x-ray disturbance was noted, studied, and it was decided that this was certainly not natural. Previous scouting missions showed that 1-5 was uninhabited; this caused a stir unlike any other as such. The Leben had no presence there, and their allies would of informed them of a colony. So a Homeworld class vessel was immediately dispatched, it's crew prepared for whatever they may encounter as the vessel de-materialized, then reappeared in 1-5, holding four million kilometers from the world sending the x-ray signals. A hail was sent out while sensors scanned the planet.

voidstars.png

IC:It was uncertain exactly why the planet had gone undetected, but the x-ray signals had ceased almost fifteen years ago. Thousands of satellites floated in orbit of the world, crashing into each other and falling to the world below in a macabre dance. The planet's atmosphere was thick with dust, and spectroscopic analysis showed a strong helium line. Vast stretching cities had once covered the planet, but a strong telescope could spot signs of disrepair. Fallen towers, craters where reactors had gone up, flood planes from broken hydroelectric dams, and thousands of burned-out buildings. Oddest of all, the telescopes showed no people of any sort, anywhere.

-Rover

IC [1-5/Crew]This, naturally, caused quite a buzz, and the ship immediately began surveying the world while requests for civilian science vessels were made. The dust in the atmosphere could be reduced via methods developed to counter the Natsirt nuclear wars' effects of dust clouds, and the helium would be dealt with. This could prove an extremely exciting development for the Natsirt; at the very least, it'd be a new world for settlers.

voidstars.png

OOCI'm hoping not. If there is I'm going to have a nuke accidentally go off and blow the said black holes guns up. I'd like to win the game without cheating by using the stuff off the banned weapons list.

voidstars.png

Nothing so crude.

-Rover

OOC: The way you phrases that suggests that it's still some kind of advantage for the Natsirt to guarantee they win the next war.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

See in it what you will. What's there is there, and now whatever they found is for the Natsirt to share.Remember in IL how Lunarian relics turned up from time to time?

-Rover

OOCWell upon talking to Xom, it turns out I get a special prize that isn't banned on the list.Also, Rover, while this certainly gives me an advantage, it won't win me the war by itself. It tips the odds though.IC [1-5/General]Research was fast; scientists quickly flooded the sector, and in a matter of hours the planet was swarming with small scout craft as teams landed on the planet below. The city's capital, determined by it's large size and seemingly central location, was the first to be searched, hundreds moving through the city. Soon, records were found; alien interface was tricky, but the Natsirt had decades behind them of interacting with alien systems. Some jerry rigging and AI managed to begin the download of data, transferred directly to Citamgine's brightest minds.It turned out the planet was once home to a race known as the Reverene; a species five feet tall with interlocking ribs, they were a proud and mighty race, who had wiped themselves out via biological and neutron weaponry. Best of all, further decryption and interface improvements showed that there was complete records present; it would take weeks, maybe months, to download all the data and years to study it all, but it would be worth it. An entire specie's technological data, locked here.The first download was the military technology, and in the middle of it caused a massive stir. Immediately upon receiving the packet of information a massive burst of EM and FTL communications went out, completely random information to scrabble the transmission and keep it from being recovered. The technology was startling to say the least, and the implications were studied and over viewed by AI and their human counterparts.The Natsirt had discovered a new technology; darklight.OOCI'm not even going bother to explain it, I'll leave that to Xom because it was entirely his idea.

voidstars.png

OOC: Remember in the planning for this when you said there weren't going to be any progenitors/forerunners/any sort of equivalent to the obnoxious Lunarians? Guess that went the way of "no energy shields".Personally, I don't want the odds to be arbitrarily tipped by "random" gifts from the GM, because that ruins the whole point of the game. Why work on strategy when you can just cross your fingers for a magic gun?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Remember in the planning for this when you said there weren't going to be any progenitors/forerunners/any sort of equivalent to the obnoxious Lunarians? Guess that went the way of "no energy shields".

OOCI don't think these are the Lunarians, considering they don't seem to of used jump drive before killing themselves.

voidstars.png

OOC*shrug* Idunno, I didn't ask for the tech. I told Xom I realized the war would not end well for me and said I'd go finish my own RPG, he said he might tip the scales in my favor, I went o rly, and he gave me this.I'm going to suggest to him that you guys get your own magic tech so that I don't get accused of being a rotten cheater.

voidstars.png

OOC: Forreal man. That's just not cool. You keep changing the rules in this.Anyway, side plot 2, also known as phase 4, is underway. I really need to get back to side plot 1.... Well anyway, here's #2:IC: Circulatory system functioning?100% sir. We repaired the code responsible for the misshapen femoral artery.Skeletal integrity?Functioning at maximum, with the natural carbon fibers we coded.Second heart and infrared sight?The hearts are pumping at satisfactory levels. Sight is perfect, from what we can tell.Affirmative. Open consciousness pathways, insert the preset.Yes air.Tu'lon 8249 watched as the creature within the tank began to stretch. It was reptilian in nature, with a dark red, nearly black skin tone, with lighter maroon patches on certain areas. A pair of horns swept back over the skull, while its snout flattened at the front. Two pits near the nostrils aided the ability to detect heat.It was fourteen feet tall, taller than the Tsui'nau geneticist himself. A short tail, extended barely into the thigh, while vicious claws extended on the massive hands and feet. Below the main arms was another pair, much smaller, but still possessing wicked claws. Eyua extended of each, the nerve strands glowing. The legs were double jointed, allowing the creature to run and jump quickly. The creature's skin was over an inch thick, the scales stretched taut over layers of tightly corded muscle.Tendrils of coral lay coiled around the creature and the tank, with one long stand going straight into the back of its head through a metal coupling as it transferred the artificial consciousness into it.The water began to drain out of the tank, replaced by air. The geneticists floated out of the room, as it, too, started to drain.After they gathered in the viewing area, a membrane closed, followed by a metal door. A large window made of a thick and durable plastic had been made outside the chamber, allowing viewing of the proceedings inside.Two Sui'Malo, in full armor, opened the tank. The creature fell out, sprawling on the ground, covered in slime. Its bright orange eyes flared with curiosity under its horns as it took in it's surroundings. It stood up slowly, its legs bending to support it.Tu'lon 8249 reached out with his mind, and the creature's Eyua slid involuntarily out of slits in the lower arms, glowing a bright cyan. The Tsui'nau felt the mind, quite different from anything he had felt before. If one looked for it, similarities with a Syrrinx mind could be felt... But the creature was unique, no longer Syrrinx, but something other.The preset consciousness that had been designed and transferred into the creature's mind using coral spoke C'Kaan, the most common Syrrinx language among the colonists.The creature bowed, making a sign with its hand which was used by the Bivali to indicate reverence."May all glory be to the gods. What would you have of your servant?"The lead Tsui'nau pointed one tentacle towards one of the Sui'Malo.Kill him.With a roar, the creature's massive hands grasped the squid like alien. Though the Sui'Malo was armored and the creature nude, it didn't stand a chance. The scientists had made sure to remove all weapons from the guards.The Sui'Malo struggled to resist, the sharp armored tentacles lashing against the creature, where they barely made scratches. He quickly saw it was futile, and wrapped the tentacles around the creature's neck, where they squeezed tightly while another pair struggled to force his horns back.While he might have succeeded, he didn't have time. With a loud tearing sound, the armor gave way as the creature ripped the Sui'Malo apart with his bare hands, though the tentacles continued to twitch for some time.The geneticist looked at its creation as it tore the tentacles away, leaving bloody wounds and bruises. While there were several wounds that would require attention, the creature had just torn in half a fully grown male Sui'Malo in titanium armor with its bare hands. The Tsui'nau could not help feeling satisfied.The other guard had stayed motionless the entire time, not only because of the mental control the Tsui'nau had over him, but because he knew his place was not to question the gods.However, this did not save him when an automated coilgun fired through his head.The creature bowed again, covered in the gore of his fight."What would you have of me now, my gods?"That will be all. Your services are no longer needed.With that, the implants in the creature's brain fired, killing it. As it slumped to the ground, water rushed back into the chamber.Was its sensory input recorded?Of course. It has been analyzed, and we have found no errors in our code.Good. Are all of you as satisfied with this as I?The Tsui'nau murmured their assent.Very well. This will be our finished design of the "Molokha". You know our next task. There can be no errors in this virus, for it will be very difficult to test. Work well, and the reapers of myth shall become reality.

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: Eh, you'll get no accusations of such from me. You weren't the one who decided to throw in gift-tech.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: There will be more things like that-Stillborn Worlds, as I call them-along the way. The trouble will be finding them.To be clear, this was sort of just the announcement. The tech itself wasn't really *too* significant. I'll be picking out certain uninhabited worlds.

-Rover

OOCholy beepMy only objection is to myself for not thinking of that first. But I also have Reverene DNA, so who knows. ToA, despite having a lengthy take over the galaxy list, I hereby award you this.blogapprovalnecro.pngSure, it's a blog award, but I'm too lazy to make you a new award. I'll do it later. For now, take that as an RPing award.IC [Citamgine/General]Darklight; a principle so alien yet so... obvious. It was to light what antimatter was to matter; the Reverene technology had managed to produce it as easy as lasers produced light, and with adaption Natsirt laser weaponry could be adapted. For eons the Natsirt believed in kinetic superiority; lasers were never implemented for being too power costly to be effective.Not now.Efforts were immediately put into understanding and weaponizing this darklight; the idea was simple enough. Darklight and light interacted with each other and exploded in an intense burst of energy. Everything in the known universe except dark matter reflected light, so the darklight would explode on anything. That meant it was impractical on a planet, but in space it could survive. The technology had to be adapted to Natsirt understanding, but it would work, and in time for the increased wariness between the TAP and Pact.This data was classified under the highest levels; the enemy could not know of it's existence. So secret it was, small scout craft were sent out, FTL communication too risky for it. The Kalarii and Osaileili would be given this technology, with instructions to guard it similarly. The Pact could not know of this advancement until it was too late for them.

voidstars.png

OOC: I am aware that the Photon is in fact it's own Antiparticle. But more importantly, Darklight is really cool.Alex: You may now produced cloned Reverenes.

-Rover