Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOCSure glad that you didn't specify which system, and thus can just avoid my ship by stating after the fact.. >.> Still, you're going need to get through Natsirt space again, and while I may not have sensor nets, civilian vessels are all over the place. The Natsirt are going be royally miffed when they find out you broke the blockade regulations. Of course, the only way to enforce that is to either 1)go to the nonexistent UN and cry about it, 2)go blast some ships, which gets me killed in the process or 3)tell the Alizarin that their cousins broke a very clearly marked blockade.Blah, I hate being weak. It means everyone can take turns slamming their boot into my face and they have no repercussions.Also, has anyone noticed that by Jan. 14th, centuries will likely of passed? I don't know about Alizarin reproduction, or Treanuan, so I'm going take the Diemawr and hypothetically have them take the four colony approach. Xom has casually mentioned colonies start in the hundreds, but I think that's absurd so let's say two million start on a colony, with immigration adding more and more. We'll assume a Homeworld is around Earth's population, six to seven billion. Assuming exponential growth every twenty years. ****, let's make it fifteen. The rest is a butch of Algebra I don't feel like doing at this time in the morning, but I can do enough in my head to figure out it's a massive number, as 29 is only 512, so that's... 15*9=135. Over a century, to barely get to half a billion.Of course, there's immigration from more densely populated planets, and there's probably meds in the future that give twin and triplet births a much better chance of happening, but at the end of the day, about the time we hit the 14th, at least a century will of passed since page one.Which frankly, I find alright. We've already established time is completely weird in this universe -probably black holes-, and this makes it more realistic. Ships take forever to build, wars require massive logistics and planning, and diplomatic meetings are rarely as short as they are in this game. So I like to think whenever we aren't talking to each other years are zipping by on our planets.Then again, this is likely overthinking it, but hey, gotta get the dose of science out there. Now, for actual ICs, and continuing playing the Natsirt as the paranoid big brothers they are.IC [Leben Prime/Nil'teth]"A formal meeting would be preferable; as a sign of good will, I suggest we meet on your planet to conduct the hearing."As the captain spoke the engineers were prepping the more insulated and armored space suits, so they could last longer in the hostile environment below.[Transmission]When the delegation left, star control sent a beam to the Alizarin homeworld, requesting confirmation on whether or not all the representatives ships had come through Alizarin space.OOCJustified in game; the IIA would of done some scouting if the positions were reversed, so they want to be sure aliens aren't doing the same.Also, Veeci, to continue my streak of kinda-sorta-maybe science, as a warning, fist fights in space do not work. Might want to upgrade your ships to have actual weapons, as all my ships run at five km/s at minimum; whether or not we're Daleks is an argument for another time. If some really, really, fancy maneuvers are needed my ships will slow to one km/s. Assuming we're dealing with a Valiant class vessel, which I have arbitrarily assigned the weight of a five hundred metric tons -extreme underestimate; I'm working on a more precise size/weight chart-, we get the following equation;Ke=1/2*500000*10002This quickly comes out to be 250,000,000,000. That's at the slowest speed my ships will go, and the smallest ship in my fleet. Upon impact, assuming your ship is standing perfectly still, my ship will release two hundred and fifty gigajoules of energy, a force comparable to the biggest railgun in my fleet. It gives off 50 gigajoules upon impact, making this five times more deadly. Again, this is assuming your ship is standing still, which if it's engaging my ship in combat, it'll have some sort of speed -it'll always have some speed; it's a near impossibility to be at a dead stop in space-, so it's speed must be put into the calculation too.End result being? Fist fights in space just do not work. Yeah, it'll blow up my ship quite good, but while my ship splits down the middle your ship gets splatted on the windshield. Suicidal runs in this game don't work, because I can make ships faster than you can.

Edited by Cartographer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Well, time is very strange here. I wouldn't say that ships take forever to build - once you've got a big enough industrial complex and good enough tech, you can spit them out at a rate of, oh, about a medium one every half a year. So, uh, actually, yes, time is very strange in this game.As for the "Fistfights" in space... By that logic, the Diemawr totally can afford to get in space fisticuffs with the Natsirt, because I can rebuild faster than you can.But, ah, yes, you are correct that a collision at the sort of speeds ships use for actually going places would be fatal for both ships. If a fighter rams into a flagship at top speed, the flagship either has really thick armor (wink wink) or has just suffered a pretty severe hull breach. If a flagship with really heavy armor runs into a fighter at the flagship's full speed, the fighter will be smeared across the universe because that kind of a cosmic beat-down rips a hole in space-time to deposit your hilariously mangled remains everywhere and everywhen.And ToA, sorry, no, no border system he doesn't have. The whole Sector 1 side of the 2-1 IL is his. On the plus side, you can stealth your way past.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCNo. I own all four IL access points. Power owns the other four on the other side. Check the maps sometime; even with my laziness they aren't that out of date. Which reminds me, I need to go update them with your holdings.@Rover; I was simply using the whole 'I can build ships faster' thing as an example; in truth, losing all your ships to suicide runs is very bad for morale and thus my guys would try not to get rammed in the future.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Yeah, yeah. Only way I'd pull a suicide run with one of my ships is if there was absolutely no hope for victory, and retreat would ultimately cause more damage than losing the whole fleet in a final rush.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: And run into a Diemawr blockade that, fortunately, is somewhat more positively disposed towards the Treanuans, though there will be a very long list of questions as to what they saw on the other end of things.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCWhich just made me realize the greatest weapon everRobotic fighter jets.Let's say a fighter weighs two metric tons; an F-22, when empty, weighs 19,700 kg, so that's actually pretty light. My fighters carry a Mark II or III fusion drive, which gets you going about 80 km/s once it warms up. Upon expending ammo, the fighter revs up and charges a ship. We then have Ke=1/2*2000*800002. This gets us a grand total of 6,400,000,000,000 joules. Yes folks, 6.4 terajoules.Also, ToA? No. Just... no. I don't recall the Alizarin ever giving you their IL detection tech, so you have no idea where the IL is. Also, you have to go through Lloyd's space, which I'm pretty sure is loaded with sensor nets. STL nets, but they will pick it up, and then the Imperium will tell the TAP, and then you will get a very, very, miffed Natsirt on the line.Might as well stealth it through my space; civilian stuff won't pick up stealthed vessels.

voidstars.png

OOC: Well of course. :P I'm sending you the maps when I'm done. But Treanu will want part of Sector 6. :PI'll stealth through him, or hide on the edge of his systems. And it doesn't matter if I have the tech- I've been in sector one, so I know what an IL is. Might take a little while, but I'll get it.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOCYou also need to get through Koth, who also had a ton of sensor nets.Stealthing through both of their space won't work; the stealth tech we have in this game must cool down. You won't be able to get through all of Lloyd's space before you're forced to shut off and then get detected. Also, the whole 'edge of system' won't work; that's where most of the sensors would be, scattered throughout the asteroid and Kupier belts.Blindly scouting isn't going work; you're going get detected, by other Koth or Lloyd, and then you get miffed Natsirt.

voidstars.png

OOC: Well, but you don't even know the shape of Sector 1.And Alex, I should clarify that nothing will pick up the stealthed stuff, as far as I know. It just has to shut off after an hour or two.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: I don't have to go through Koth, I can get around him. And Lloyd I'll have to stealth or hide my way through, but if I can get two hours on my stealth, it's good.And considering this ship is unmanned, I can just shut off the engines and indeed run fairly silently. Maybe just hide on a gas giant's moon or something.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOCYou can't jump through that gulf of space in the middle. Xom has already confirmed it. Koth has the route completely blocked off.And you're going have to release that energy sometime, and the giant flare it'll send up will be detected even by civilian ships, so one wouldn't even need a sensor net, regular telescopes would see it. When an EM spike like that happens, a scientist can put two and two together and figure out it was a stealthed ship. Which ends with miffed Natsirt.

voidstars.png

OOCUh, if you want to get to the S1-S3 IL, you need to go through Koth. 1-43 and 1-44 don't connect.And yes, yes the Natsirt can. They can show up in Alizarin space with proof that you violated a very clearly marked blockade, and demand that something be done. You might be shielded by your space cousins via military might, but I still have the diplomatic high ground. You violated a clearly marked blockade, which warned you that doing so is an act of war. The politics of the situation means that the Alizarin have to at least ask about it.

voidstars.png

Stealth goes one hour before overheatingAlso: Since when is Blockade Running an international crime?

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOCIn game time or real life time? As real life time means it can't hide for more than one jump recharge.It is when the buoys say it's an act of war.

voidstars.png

OOC: The quickest way to avoid miffed Natsirt involves just gritting your teeth and stealthing through their territory, dude.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCYeah; I mean, seriously, just head back my way, activate stealth inside my system, and then jump out once your drives recharge. I'll never know, and if you do it soon enough the Alizarin will tell me you returned. Going westward means risking detection from two alien races; just heading back the way you know about means you can get through with absolutely minimal risk.

voidstars.png

Real time. I always meant it to only work for one jump recharge.And you can be stealthed while Jumping.

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOCOh, and after spending a good thirty minutes digging through the topic, I found the post with my buoys; this is what they're transmitting;“All access to the Great Passage is prohibited. Any ships warping to these systems will either transmit their intentions immediately or be given two hours to warp away. Any ships not conducting official diplomatic negotiations with the Trilateral Alliance of Planets will be turned away. Refusal to follow these terms will be taken as an act of war and any ships trespassing will be shot at.”They were never taken offline; they're still fully operational and transmitting. The Treanuans would of had to picked up the signal, and thus knowingly violated a warning that said it'd be a bloody act of war.Whatever falls on them is thanks to their own stupidity.

voidstars.png

OOCYeah, in the future, try not to declare war on people via forgetfulness.ACTUALLYIf caught, this would give me a legitimate excuse to go put a boot on some god jellyfish face-erm, bulb.IC [General]The Mark III version of the Resistance fighter, having been cleared through the usual channels, was put into effect, the Mark IIs being upgraded. The Mark III had a notable advantage of it's precursor; while having no additional weaponry, it was entirely computer controlled, allowing it to withstand gee forces much better and meaning no Natsirt lives were lost if the fighters had to be turned into weapons.OOCTime to get into the petajoules of energy. This guy weighs twenty metric tons and has an optimal speed of around 80 km/s; if you accelerated to ramming speed you could probably get to 100 km/s before you smashed into a carrier. Best thing is point defenses will be unable to stop my robotic deathplanes; shredding the fighter wouldn't do you anygood, as it just means the impact is now spread out across your ship. This is so epic. EDIT: I am such a derp at math. I've been saying peta and terajoules when they're order of magnitudes lower. I'm surprised Rover didn't call me out on that. Apparently I'm incapable of simple counting.

voidstars.png

OOC: Also, shooting them down with point-defense actually would do a load of good. Unlike with railgun shots, point-defense networks are specifically designed to shred fighters (also missiles). Spreading out the debris significantly reduces the likelihood of a hull breach.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC(Cordovan Belt): "We have requested that you both be here because we feel the recent meeting bears discussion," the Alizarin said "Namely the question of whether the Natsirt can be trusted. We know from past experience that treaties mean little to them. And they cannot control their own people, who may take matters into their own hands. We suggest a full-on blockade of the Line. No ship goes in either direction. The tourism and trade the Natsirt proposed shall have to wait until they have learned to behave."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: This sounds fair enough- What if they attempt to break the blockade? It would be the three of us, and perhaps the Natiru, against them and their allies. We don't have much of an idea of their strength. However, we are working on that-He paused for a moment.We have a ship scouting Sector 1 now. It's avoiding going into inhabited space, but it's gathering what information it can from outside. Namely the size of their nations. In addition, we've made contact with a new race- if we go to war with the Natsirt, they could be useful. We could attack from both sides, as it were.OOC: Tonn Croa is now a forge world, Molokhe is Self-Sustaining, and Mahalo is an inner world.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOCNow to see if the pacifist jellyfish take note that the Treanuans just declared war on me by breaching the blockade. And the said jellyfish should reply to the message I sent at the top of the page.Kinda find it funny though how the Alizarin phrased it to sound like they're dealing with children. Which, for all I know, the Alizarin may view the Natsirt as that.IC [General]With the TAP military committees continuing their discussions a new TAP battlefleet was forming, prepping for the invasion while the Natsirt army began readying for the ground invasion aspects. Industrial markets were put towards the specialized gear that would be needed, and stasis units were being prepared for mass transport.

voidstars.png

IC(Cordovan Belt): "We take it as a given that the Natsirt can no more be trusted than the Syrrinx could. A blockade, however, merely allows them to continue their behavior behind a convenient curtain."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Kinda find it funny though how the Alizarin phrased it to sound like they're dealing with children. Which, for all I know, the Alizarin may view the Natsirt as that.

OOC: To them, you're acting like a child. You invade then leave with a few concessions, which looks like showing off. Then when you realise your error you come back begging to be bestest friends and offer to share your toys. Now you're squabbling amongst yourselves. So yeah, they kind of see you as kind of childish. This blockade is essentially sending you to your room :PIC: "The Diemawr raise legitimate concerns. Which is why we have brought Military Counsellors to this meeting." The speaker indicated a quartet of Alizarin lurking at the back. "We request that you take a pair each with you back to your planets so that proper defensive plans, protocols and tactics can be arranged."OOC: Cobalt Upgraded to Outer World. A flight of Goldenrods under construction at Silver-Celeste. Fighter squads under construction at Iris, Palatinate, Turquoise and Ultramarine

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOCAnd now you see why the IIA has been operating in the shadows for all this time; they're like the Section 31 of the Natsirt. The Confederation was a bunch of pompous fools, and the Empire is built by idealists. The IIA is less evil shadow organization and more of an organization trying to keep the Natsirt alive. The politicians prance about doing their various deeds, the civilian populace doesn't care... the IIA is the only real defense the Natsirt have, because they're the ones who have transcended morality in order to protect their people. While they do 'evil' actions, they do them for good reasons. They're antivillians, basically.IC [Citamgine/General]With tactical data flooding in and being reviewed, and no response from the Alizarin, the IIA feared the worse. They reviewed all options; if the aliens had attempted to run the blockade then they might of encountered the Leben. In fact, it was a certainty that they would eventually, and enough time had passed it was likely they had. If a Pact-Leben alliance formed, the tables would be shifted, and the upcoming invasion could mean a retaliation unlike any other. The demise of the Syrrinx meant their industrial base would of been absorbed to it's conquerors, so it was effectively the might of four races, against the TAP. The Osalieli, while they had been cooperative up to this point, would possibly back out of the Alliance if the tables were tipped, retreating to their corner of space to let the Natsirt burn. The IIA expected no less; they would do the same to save their people.There was one hope, however; assuming industrial bases similar to those of the Osalieli and Kalarii, the aliens would not be able to put together a force large enough to completely overpower the TAP defense fleet without leaving their worlds unprotected. The Pact fleet would be forced to fall back if Alizarin worlds were attacked. War plans were discussed, discussions were made, and the remaining Homeworld class vessel was sent to the two known Leben worlds; 1-35, then 1-42. In each system it would do a sensor sweep and attempt to detect any vessels. If no Pact vessels were detected there would be no concern, and the intel gained by the sweeps would be immensely useful.Decisions were made elsewhere and a new nuclear arsenal was to be built. While the missiles would be useless for ship-to-ship combat, they would be used for planetary bombardment. The TAP charter forbid genocide, but in times such as this, the IIA valued the survival of the species over words on pads.And even as the IIA plotted, they watched the TAP meetings, where interesting decisions were being made. The latest decision resulted in all colonizers being haulted, the fleet being drawn out of drydock and the crews being hustled into. The Homeworld scouting mission was scrapped, the Homeworld vessel joining up with the main fleet.

voidstars.png

OOC:Head of the IIA: Dr%2Bevil.jpgIC(Cordovan Belt): "We will do as you say. While our starbases will be more than sufficient to protect the Diemwnt Province*, advice on the proper means of combating the Natsirt should it come to war would be most appreciated."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCHe's the public head; you know, the public branch, which looks like a bunch of complete idi0ts. The actual organization has no 'head', only a group of the higher ranking officials. Works better that way; assassinations aren't as easy.IC [Citamgine/Head Admiral]The Last Breath of the Enemy slowly drifted out of drydock, systems revving up as it's crew scuttled about. The rest of the fleet was still getting it's crew onboard, all while the Kalarii and Osalieli ships stood in formation, waiting for their Natsirt allies. On the bridge the crew was solemn; they were not going to war to protect their people, they were not invading the Alizarin space. They were going to war; a war that they would not back out of. What happened in the ensuring hours would change the course of the galaxy, and the future was uncertain. Throughout the Empire civilians looked to the sky, and a sense of dread was upon Citamgine as the fleet prepared itself. The eve of battle was upon them; possibly, the twilight of the entire species.There had been a Natsirt scholar once, who lived six hundred years before their time. He had been killed in the first nuclear war, but he had written many insights into the concept."What is war?" The scholar had wrote. "What is war but the natural extension of life? We spend our lives searching for new ways to kill, and at the end of the day, what does it achieve? Millions die, innocents are hurt... perhaps one day we will understand why we are compelled to war. The fact is that we are though, and that we must do it to our greatest possible extent. We harness the gift nature gave us, and we use it as best as we can. To do anything else is to shun what the universe has given us."The Last Breath of the Enemy finished it's burn, falling into formation as other vessels did the same. War was upon them; they would do it to the best extent they had.OOCTAP FIRST BATTLE FLEET:~1 Destroyer Class Vessel~3 Homeworld Class Vessels~1 Gulu class Vessel~4 Putorius class Vessels~2 Lutra class Vessels~1 Lutris class Vessel~1 Lontra class Vessel~4 Eversmanii Vessels~1 Infinitus~2 Sicarii class Vessels~2 Praetorians class Vessels~4 Praesidii class VesselsFleet is on the move to Leben Prime; arrival at 2040 CST.EDIT: Derped on the time. Editted.

Edited by Sweetroll Thief Alex Humva

voidstars.png

IC: As per agreement among the TAP military council, the entirety of the Federation Fleet was sent to the Natsirt capital of Citamigne (all ships barring the ones up in sector 3).The previously completed coloniser over Kalaras was put into drydock in order to put the Hikaru Genji into operation.OOC: So Alex, add one Gulo and one Putorius group.Also lol Rover.

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

IC(Cordovan Belt): "Only the suggestion that we begin preparing to deal with the Natsirt on the most likely front. Gathering some of our ships on the border in case of an attack seems wise."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom