Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOC: Methinks Xom is being a little too rigid with some of the things here. The plain fact is that a properly designed large ship can enter a planet's atmosphere, and, at that point, it can get as scary as it wants.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCNecro~Oh, you mean the TAP? Well, it's in a completely different sector then you so it'll be hard for you to do anything with it for a while. :PRover~Eh, I respect how Xom is trying to maintain order where IL was chaos, so he has good intentions, but yeah, it's kinda inflexible. But there's balance issues; if one were to legitimately look at hard science and all the tech we have available, there's some seriously scary stuff we could do. At the end of the day it becomes a line between real life and god moding which, believe it or not, DARPA does on a daily basis, what with their invisibility cloaks and rail guns and Project Thor -though I think Thor was another military project not related to DARPA, but I'm sure they have other scary space stuff too-.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Edit: ^Fair enough.

OOC: Methinks Xom is being a little too rigid with some of the things here. The plain fact is that a properly designed large ship can enter a planet's atmosphere, and, at that point, it can get as scary as it wants.

OOC: Gravity?Believe me, this is about the only issue I have with it if we're going at a realistic approach in the RPG. But I'm pretty sure most gigantic warships would tumble to the ground if they weren't in space. Edited by Necro
baltimore_ravens.png

OOCWell, you have to build your ship to compensate for gravity, atmospheric heat, and build it more structurally reinforced.One problem though; while it does reduce the effectiveness of the ship in combat, it still can be done. Gravity a cruel mistress but it can be overcome with proper engineering and materials.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Explain, because artificial gravity is on the banned list, which I assume includes antigravity, so as far as I can tell, you'd have to have a giant, expensive, low-use, probably-fragile thrust system to keep it afloat. That just doesn't make economic sense to me.What would though is a variant of ships designed for in-atmosphere combat. That would work for me. Although at that point you're probably better with an air force.

baltimore_ravens.png

OOCIndependence Day style city ship hovering is absurdly impractical; landing the ship on the other hand is not. Hovering=Not good. Landing=Feasible.Me, I would never take the city ship as transport route, I think it's far more practical for medium and small ships to take that, but it is possible, just not that practical.

voidstars.png

OOC: That's fair, but here's the question - how do you get it back up? Granted it's a giant, well-armed fortress, but you take a big risk once you put that thing down. Plus if you lose, the enemy now knows your technology as well as you do. Also bombing runs. And if they take it, they've got a giant-well-armed fortress now.Those are all u to your prerogative though - another issue is surviving the impact.

baltimore_ravens.png

OOCLike I said, it's not practical. The argument isn't over whether or not it can be done, because anything with sufficient engineering and technological advancement is feasible, it's if it's worth doing it and if Xom has the right to ban something on the grounds of it being impractical. Getting the ship off the ground would require a massive amount of power, but a fusion drive could do it; probably starting a fire that would spread for a few hundred kilometers and incinerate anything in it's path but such is life. Bombing runs are a problem and I have no real solution because I honestly don't care because I'm not doing it.

voidstars.png

OOC: I don't think massive mistakes should be banned unless they're also impossible. It is our right to do amazingly stupid things with our navies. That being said, at most, I plan to take medium-sized ships into atmospheres. Large ships do much better keeping the enemy's navy off of the invasion force.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCI don't think I'm going use the whole 'invade with ground troops!' method; too much destruction, really tasks an economy. Much better to blockade the world and offer humanitarian service to the civilians. Because, no matter how sterotypical or one sided your people are, there is a line between military and civilian; military troops have been sworn to a cause and have training to teach them to obey orders. Civilians typically care more about food and water and staying safe. Nothing will ever change that; a ground force just scares them, and fear ALWAYS causes rebellion and terrorist groups. Fight the evil invader? Sure! Fight the guy giving you food, water, and medicine? Um...See the idea?

voidstars.png

OOC: Yeah, but this is a game. Ground invasions are so much more fun than a blockade.Plus, I'm not necessarily playing the good guys this time.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: A large ship would have to be specifically designed to stand up to planetary conditions. It would have to stand upright, as a large tower, rendering any dorsal guns all but useless. It would have to have special heat shielding, and most importantly, be designed to stand up on its own weight. Like a fish, a Large Ship in gravity doesn't have the structure to hold itself up. Getting up would be a problem too.Trans Atmosphereric Capability: Allows Large ships to enter and land in atmosphere as easily as a small or medium ship. 1 Slot upgrade.Holdings:Current Forces: Eight Changeling class Small Ships, Two FaeriesUnder Construction: Three Colonizers(one to be completed November 7th, two to be completed November 13)Planets: 2-7(Inner World), 2-9(Inner World), 2-8(Homeworld), 2-10(Claimed), 2-15(Claimed)Anyone need an IC from me?

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: The meeting on Calinar was kind of left hanging after my reply on the 2-10 joint-ownership offer.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Ohh yeahhhIC: Calinar"I see no further issues before us." Seela said, hoping to finish the meeting up quickly so she had as little chance as possible to accidentally insult the aliens."IC:The Syrrinx fleet was soon divided up. One Changeling was placed in each of the systems the Syrrinx controlled, and another in the ones the Syrrinx had designs on. That was a total of five. The three remaining Changelings were sent to 2-26, 2-27, and 2-32. The two Faeries were stationed in orbit of Ath.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC: "In that case, we will take our leave - we will contact you again when the time is appropriate."As the meeting had concluded, the Diemawr returned to their ship, and began procedures for take-off. Within the hour, the scout was clear of Calinar's gravity-well and preparing for a jump to 2-10, en route to Diemwnt-Cwn.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: You mean 2-10?IC:Seela watched the ship ascend, staring at the craft until it became a tiny speck in the teal sky, and then disappeared entirely, before turning around to find a crowd of reporters facing her. She sighed, and began to start taking questions.

-Rover

OOC: Lutra (1-10) and Lutris (1-8) medium done contructing.4 Eversmanii light ships contructing over Czalath (1-8) to be completed 11月9日.Torios not constructing.Updated list:

Kalarii Federation Worlds and Starship Inventory#月#日Planets & Fleets:(1-8) Czalath - IW 2 - 11月10日- 1 Lutra M - 1- 1 Lutris M - 1(1-9) Kalaras - HW 5-(1-10)Torios - IW 2 - 11月10日- 4 Eversmanii S - 1- 1 Lutra M - 1Constructing:(1-8) 4 Eversmanii s - 1 - 11月9日(1-9) coloniser - 4 - 11月7日(1-10) misakaimouto

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOC: Err, yeah. 2-10. My bad. I'll edit that in a moment.IC(Lord President - Diemwnt-Cwn): The information from the scout was sent just before the scout jumped to 2-10, and, after reviewing what was certainly the most promising bit of information from the meeting - the joint-ownership agreement for 2-10 - the Lord President sent orders for the Golau-a-Gobaith to enter stable orbit around one of the moons selected for colonization, to ensure that the Syrrinx upheld the agreement.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC:The Changeling class ship stationed in 2-10 made no effort to hide from the Golau, and rather watched it quite intently through passive scanners, lest they take active scans as a threat. They caught any wide scans it put out, along with EM radiation. As the gas giant the moons orbited was hot enough it emitted more heat than it took in, the Syrrinx were capturing good information on the ship, at least in the infrared specturm.OOC: The Syrrinx have named those moons according to their conventions after a pair of mythical rulers. For the sake of getting the feel across, rather than the Syrrinx names, I shall refer to them as Oberon and Titania.

-Rover

OOC: Not that there's much good information to capture on the Golau-a-Gobaith. It's pretty much nothing but an engine, a hull, a cockpit, some sensors, and enough life-support systems and duct-tape to keep it all running.IC(Golau-a-Gobaith, 2-10, orbiting Caerdydd [Oberon]): The presence of the Changeling was noted quickly by the scoutship, but no deviation from standard orders indicated such. Rather, the ship settled into a stable orbit around the second of the two moons, which the Diemawr had already chosen a name for. With the engines only firing occasionally to maintain a stable orbit, and the ship's computers only keeping communications, passive sensors, and life-support active, the ship was as close to dead as it could get without taking the crew with it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCRover put it exactly right; I will, however, endeavor to update them tonight; just post your status report so I can confirm the worlds.

voidstars.png

OOC: Not much status to report, really. In addition to my homeworld, I've colonized worlds 50-2, 38-2, 40-2, and 37-2. Only been back three days, so haven't done much else.And no worries, not trying to pressure, just trying to get an idea of the timeframe. Like I said, I know the feeling.

Edited by Necro
baltimore_ravens.png

Information Post:Systems:2-42 : Homeworld2-34 : Self-Sufficient, Founded 10.31(Next upgrade 11.9) (Ka'andro)2-35 : Self-Sufficient, Founded 10.31(Next upgrade 11.9) (Tuonata)2-43 : Self-Sufficient, Founded 10.31(Next upgrade 11.9) (Bivali Mun)2-47 : Self-Sufficient, Founded 10.31(Next upgrade 11.9) (Sauyandu)Fleet :1 Starbase - 2-421 Scout Ship -Neverending TruthUnder Construction:1 Flight of Caridea-Class Corvettes (4), started Nov. 6 (Small)IC: Now that the colonies were able to support themselves, the council's orders were carried out, construction beginning on the new ships, using Treanuan support in colonial shipyards.IC: The Minister's vehicle took him to a small, metal "island" which rested on the surface of the water, supported by a long tower. He entered the shuttle, and told the pilot to start the engines.The Sui'Malo nodded, and prepared the shuttle to take off. It was moved inside the metal construction until it reached the hangar doors, which opened, as the ship broke the surface of the water. The ion engines activated, and it rocketed skyward towards the starbase, which grew larger and larger as they approached.Reaching the starbase, the shuttle docked. The waterlocks of the two spacecraft attached together, and Minister Cal-te 4432 floated through, into the Starbase. He knew well enough how to find the hangar, and did so, following the corridors and passing a few Sui' Malo and Bivalvi, who bowed to him as best they could in the low gravity.He reached the hanger, and found his chosen crew waiting. Two of the Sui'Malo, Greater Auburn and Flashing Magenta, were of the Treanuan guard, a mostly ceremonial "royal guard" for the Tsui'nau. They were skilled in the use of their electro-staves, as well as most firearms, and with their ornate and functional armor they would make a good impression of Treanuan strength, though not too overtly.The other Sui'Malo, Rolling Gamboge, was the pilot. A decorated military pilot, he had seen quite a bit of action in the Southeastern Rebellion 5 years ago.Two of the Bivalvi, Denye Varen and Roshad Gunye, were marines, who had also fought in the Southeastern Rebellion. Denye was a corporal, and was decorated for his service in the Rebellion, where he had risked his life to save his squad, while Roshad was a sergeant, and had been decorated for multiple acts of valor, and was considered an elite spec ops marine. While most would say he had no place on a diplomatic mission, the Minister had handpicked the squad.The last Bivalvi, Lehua Bentu, was a translator, scientist, and scholar. With a knack for laguages, he had designed a basic translation algorithm should any alien life communicate through sound. He was also there to aid in any diplomatic measures the Minister required him to.The seven boarded the vessel- a longish craft shaped much like a small creature native to Bivalvi. The Minister took his place in the center of the craft, his tentacles working into the slots on the ship as his mind interfaced with the ship's computers. Rolling Gamboge went to the front of the craft, starting the engines. The hangar doors opened, and a sequence of flashing lights appeared in the cockpit, saying You are cleared for takeoff.The pilot nodded, and activated the ion thrusters, pushing the ship into the void of space as it sped up.A few minutes later, they had reached the safe line, and Rolling Gamboge activated the Jump Drive, the ship popping out of 2-42.The journey had begun.OOC: Unending truth from 2-42 to 2-47.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: You know ToA, you're really making up for those one liners in FotT.Also, your worlds can't build while they're self sustaining. They need to have a +1 Industry modifier, not 0, so you can only build one thing at a time.Last thing, why don't you send that scoutship over towards 2-32? : D

-Rover

OOC: Haha, well I'm trying. :PAnd I'm sending my resources from the main planet to those worlds. Spreading the love around. :PSay, Planet B has shipyard, but no resources. Planet A is building something, but still has resources. Planet A sends resources to Planet B, Planet B builds ship.And I'll get one over as soon as I hit up Necro, haha! :P Since he's like, two systems away. :P

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: You can still only build one thing at a time, because only one of your worlds has a positive Industry modifier.

-Rover

OOC: Status report, Osalieli ImperiumHomeworld: Baross (1-26, Class 5)Territories: Ithaka (1-27, Class 2), Gallia (1-17, Class 2)Navy:NFR-001 Spire of Fury (current posting 1-18)NFR-002 Shield of Baross (current posting 1-18)NFR-003 Born in Fire (current posting 1-27)EWACS-001 Slave to Wisdom (current posting 1-27)Under Construction:NDR-001 Infinitus (Baross Skydocks)Colonizer (Gallia Skydocks)IC: The frigate Born in Fire slid forth from its berth in the Ithakan Skydocks, skimming out across the void of space to join its sister, Slave to Wisdom. Meanwhile on the planet below, the mining company Scipio Steel Inc. signed a contract to construct refineries in the neighboring asteroid belt, with full mining rights to the system. Scipio Steel would later grow to become one of the biggest mining companies in Imperium space. :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

Inner worlds don't up to Core Worlds until tomorrow.

-Rover

OOCTomorrow?Huh, messed up my ETAs.Well awesome, that means I get two core worlds tomorrow, meaning six points between the two. Going need the extra points for another colony.

voidstars.png

OOC: it's impossible to have a Core World already. The RPG hasn't been running for two weeks yet.Incidentally, I think I might take a more active role in writing/GMing the next game, and you can sign me up for a replacement GM in the even that both Necro and Xom vanish. I think this game is being run rather haphazardly (although admittedly it's somewhat of a beta for this kind of game. IL was the alpha). I feel that the front post could be organized a bit better as well. If you want me to, Xom, I can reoganize it for ya. :)(This isn't out of malice or anything--I love this game and I want it to succeed. I just find myself hating every time I have to go to the first post because it's so cluttered and hard to navigate). :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

IC: The Minister looked out his viewport at Sauyandu. The icy planet had a ring of exposed sea around it, making for a pretty view. He could see the two main areas of settlement, on a diameter through the planet's equator, large cities still growing. Small for now, but one day this planet would be a mighty servant of Treanu. Rolling Gamboge lit up in a flashing pattern of blues and greens, indicating the jump drive was ready. After this, only one more jump until they reached the source of the signals. Minister Cal-te 4432 signaled back in the affirmative.Good. Jump to the next system in the course.As the gods wish, flashed the pilot.The ship disappeared in a flash of cyan light, appearing in 2-41, where its' rockets moved it through the space. The system had only a few planets- the most promising was a large gas giant with several moons which could be used. This was recorded as the ship passed by.In the Neverending Truth, The Minister withdrew to his chambers, where he beckoned Roshad to follow him.You seem intelligent enough. I wish to speak with you."Your will is mine, lord," replied the Sergeant in his own tongue.

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Lloyd: I cut it down to one week when I chopped most of the Industry times in half. PM me about your problems with the game's orgnizationTechnically, your Inner Worlds should mature 168 hours after you posted about them.(1 week) So, mine, for example, will mature at 19:24, Pacific Time, about four and a half hours from now.BUT, I'm going to not really care about six hour differences or less.IC:Calnar and Lianka upgraded to Core Worlds(Industry 3) (Total Syrrinx Indusry now 11)Colonizer complete in 2-8, warped to 2-7

-Rover

Upgrade naturally, and two weeks to become a Forge World.

-Rover

OOCWell I posted on page 1 so mine should mature tomorrow. I think.

voidstars.png