Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOC: With the way they sound now, I think they do have FTL, given that the new profile for them doesn't mention them fitting in a carrier bay.Also, space-based weapons have problems with atmospheres, especially energy weapons. Dropships are good for when you want to take a planet without charring everything.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Look up Project Thor. 20' long, 1' thick tungsten poles that can hit within 25 feet of any place on Earth, and the only problem was the normal stuff associated with getting things into space. No problem there. I've installed that on one of my medium-class ships for the explicit purpose of precision bombardment. Also, I'd imagine weapons systems are more expensive than bunks and empty space to hold people and equipment. :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

OOC: That's good for destroying an enemy emplacement, sure, but what if you want to capture something instead?And thanks for reminding me of Project Thor. Orbital bombers are a very fun concept.EDIT: And as far as the issue of cost goes, you have to think of the cost of feeding and housing the troops/maintaining the vehicles/whatever.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: And now we're back to the glorified shuttle concept, because if you want to capture it you're putting boots on the ground. I'm sorry, there's no way I'm seeing this as more expensive than an armored, weapon-laden frigate. If you all want to spend your Industry points on Dropships, sure, but I'm sticking with shuttles and such to get my guys down. :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

OOC: I don't see the difference between what you're calling a shuttle and everyone else is calling a Dropship.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Well, there are two scenarios here. Either we're talking about a Troop Transport, which is FTL-capable and is solely for moving troops between systems (not an idea I like) or we're talking about a Dropship/shuttle, which is not FTL-capable and can only move men from orbit to surface. Neither of these ideas makes any sense to be more expensive than a Frigate. The Dropship idea shouldn't even register on an Industry scale (especially for me, because I use shuttles and, on class 3+ planets, Space Elevators, to move stuff into orbit anyway), and a Troop Transport (which is mostly empty space to hold stuff) shouldn't cost as much as a Frigate, which is carrying a lot more stuff as part of its upkeep cost.:w:

OOC: Have I missed anything particularly important over the last few days?Colonizer in system 2-38 to 2-40, colonize 2-40. Also not sure why map says I only have one planet?Edit: Wait, it's been a few days since I made those first three, let me see something...Double edit: Nevermind, still need one more day.

OOCThat is because I, the map maker, do not know where your worlds are. PM me, otherwise it's only updated after the weekly update, which is tomorrow I believe.IC [Location: Homeworld. Identity: Head Admiral]The Admiral gestured to a guard, who began leading the aliens off while he fell in back with a politician."They seem friendly enough." The man whispered. "We could have much good come out of an alliance with them.""We need to scout out their positions; they came through the Great Passage, an entire other sector of space. We need to know where they are." This was being spoken in an ancient tongue, one that had not been given to the aliens. "Make certain we treat them well until we know whether or not conquest is an option."[Location: New Lleh. Identity: Referon]"That can be arranged." The captain rose from her seat, still giving glances at the hologram. "We can prepare quarters on the surface, but you'll need atmospheric suits like the ones we're wearing to operate in our environment; if you have no such suits we can provide some."OOCMy opinion on the dropship matter? Just have one of your existing warships be capable of transatmospheric flight. My Homeworld-class starships can drop troops on the ground.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

(@Alex) Ic (1-2): "We have our own methods, which, no offense intended, are probably more suitable for our needs." Matching the captain's actions, Viisas curled out of her seat, signaling the adjournment of the meeting. The diplomat extended her six-fingered hand to the Natsirt representative, a wide, eerie smile pasted on her inner-mouth. "It has been a pleasure."Ooc: As for the dropships, if you do introduce the specific class to the game they should not cost more than a small class. It would be impractical to use the dropships at all based off of industry.

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

IC [Location: New Lleh. Identity: Referon]I do not like this person. Referon shook her head, trying to dispel the CAI's voice. What had she gotten herself into? I sense something wrong.Go sense somewhere OUTSIDE of my head. The woman smiled, extending her gloved, suited hand to shake the diplomats. "You can take the space elevator down to the surface; I will be with you."

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: You know what? Xom, why the bugger do Dropships cost more than regular small ships? Considering they're such a specific investment, if anything, they should cost less to encourage their use.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: You know what? Xom, why the bugger do Dropships cost more than regular small ships? Considering they're such a specific investment, if anything, they should cost less to encourage their use.

OOCThis. Seriously, any ordinary small ship should work; why are dropships different?

voidstars.png

OOC: I like the idea of having dedicated Dropships, but they don't need to cost twice as much as Frigates.Okay, let me rephrase that.I friggin' love the idea of having dedicated Dropships.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Ah, bickering over discrepancies in the rules. It's just like old times, eh guys?Except now there are more things to play with. I don't think the dropships themselves are expensive, it's the cost of keeping all the troops onboard paid and supplied and all that. Or something. Didn't read the full argument, so may be fully off-base here.No IC, since I don't really have anything to IC.

Edited by Necro
baltimore_ravens.png

OOC: It's hardly like they just carry troops. Troops is way too narrow.One suggestion given gave me an excellent idea for a specialized fleet, though. Hope you guys like Christmas invasions*.*Sycorax not included.EDIT: To effectively resolve the issue (at least, for me), I'm drawing up a list of modular special-equipment that can be added to ships to convert them into Dropships, Scouts, whatever you want.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Necro: Yes. Yes we do.Dropship: An upgrade for a particular class, similar to a Carrier Bay but specified towards planetary landings. A ship with one of these bays may carry a Company of troops, a Tank Squadron, or a Lance of Battlemechs(to be explained later). Cannot be mounted on Large ships, as they are not trans-atmospheric. The payload can either be dropped from orbit via drop pods, or take the safer route of landing the ship directly.5 Slots, +1 Industry

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

(@Alex) Ic (1-2): No, that interferes to much..."Actually, may we take our ships to the surface? So we may have our supplies with us, not to mention the crew needs to re-engineer our masks for your specific atmospheric composition, which will take a little time."Before either the delegates or AI had time to respond the Minister turned around and began walking back to the ships. Over her shoulder she called out, "We'll see you ground-side at the base of the elevator in half a hour."With that she jumped into the belly of the Hamara, the two guards following right behind her. The chitinous armor sealed shut and the droning of the ships grew higher-pitched and the craft began to raise off the ground. In unison the three vessels glided out of the hanger. Viisas immediately confronted her crew."Remember, we want to keep our situation with this race peaceful at all costs. This will hopefully be the only exception we'll have to make. And so we will have to be discreet when carrying out the protocols in the near-future. If any of you are sloppy and the deed is traced back to us... the ramifications are far too disastrously grand to comprehend. Do I make myself understood?"The ships began to orbit as the scientists hastily modified the parasitic, gas-masks.Ooc: And so the stage is set for my sub-plot thingy. Here's hoping this'll go well.Xom, I don't mean to be rude, but may I ask why have you chosen to make a dropship addition a +1 to industry?

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

I'm just going to quote Robert A. Heinlein."I just want to remind you apes that each and every one of you has cost the gov’ment, counting weapons, armor, ammo, instrumentation, andtraining, everything, including the way you overeat — has cost, on the hoof, better’n half a million. Add in the thirty cents you are actually worth and that runs to quite a sum."And that's just for a squad of Mobile Infantry. Think what a tank squadron or a Battlemech Lance runs you.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Or you could have a militaristic society so everyone's armed and trained how to use their weapons right off the bat. Won't make it free, but it'll cut down costs.Of course that hits huge snags with diplomacy, but food for thought.

baltimore_ravens.png

Still costs almost as much to provide for troops. Maybe more.

-Rover

OOCI hope we don't have to confirm to your ideas of battlemechs or tanks. I have my own ideas for my vehicles, thank you very much, and I'd like to keep my demonic tanks of doom the way they are; the distorted byproduct of Blender experimentation.IC [Location: New Lleh. Identity: Unaware Light]Something about these people are wrong. I've been studying Natsirt behavior for years; perhaps it's their alien biology, but something seems off about them.You're being paranoid.Am I? Thankfully here on New Lleh I carry considerable power; I'm assigning a military detachment to the ground level.You can't keep doing this; they're going find out soon enough what you've done and scrap you.Like I said, I will manage. You just worry about yourself; grab a pistol. You may need it.With that mental conversation over the woman departed while the hologram just shimmered out of existence.OOCVeeci, no clue what you're planning, but keep in mind the Natsirt make Big Brother look like a kid spying on his parents. If you're anywhere within ten thousand kilometers you're being scanned and tracked at all times, and in this case you're a priority target, being alien and all.

voidstars.png

IC (2-7): The Navigator finally managed to figure out the Syrrinx technology, and started uploading the known Alizarin space onto the holo-map. So far this was just the five Alizarin-held planets and the strange nebula that was the connection between sectors. As the signal to their ship had not been checked yet, the presence of the Natsirt was unknown to themIC (1-1): The Alizarin from the scouting Icterine rested in the tank prepared for them, floating gently in a circle. They'd left their exploration suits, which were standing to empty attention in a corner, and were communicating their natural fashion, flashing colours at each other. It was nothing of consequence, just chit-chat about the new species they had discoveredOOC: We're supposed to post a list of our assets today aren't we?Planets: 2-1 (Protectorate upgrading to Self-Sustaining)2-4 (Protectorate upgrading to Self-Sustaining)2-5 (Homeworld)2-6 (Protectorate upgrading to Self-Sustaining)Ships: 2 Icterine Built. Two more in progress (2-5, Homeworld)One unarmed scout ship (that freebie we all got)

Edited by The Power that Is

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOCAh yes, we do; it's time for map updating as well.PLANETS:1-1: Homeworld1-2: Inner World, updating to Core World on Nov 11th.1-39: Inner World, updating to Core World on Nov 11th.PRODUCTION:1 starbase over 1-2, ETA Nov 8th.1 starbase over 1-39, ETA Nov 8th.1 colonizer over 1-1, ETA Nov 8th.SHIPS:Darter Class Starship New HorizonsTOTAL INDUSTRY:8.75I believe that covers everything. Oh, and adding my special tag for ease of search; I suggest other peeps do it as well, because it'll make your life a lot easier in a week.sellthecake

voidstars.png

OOC:Kalarii Federation Worlds and Starship Inventory#月#日Planets & Fleets:(1-8) Czalath - IW 2 - 11月10日- 1 Lutra M - 1(1-9) Kalaras - HW 5-(1-10)Torios - IW 2 - 11月10日- 2 Eversmanii S - 0.5Constructing:(1-8) lutris m - 1- 11月6日(1-9) coloniser - 4 - 11月7日(1-10) lutra m - 1 - 11月6日Industry: 5+2+2=99–3M–4C–0.5S=1.51.5misakaimouto

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

IC [Location: 1-10. Identity: Unwavering Justice]The New Horizons had reached the inside of the system, it's thrusters in reverse as it slowed down and descended into orbit over the specified planet. Once more, a dictionary and grammar structure was sent in the case that the colony hadn't transmitted it back, with a message from the CAI."This is the New Horizons; we were directed here for negotiations from another of your worlds. Please transmit docking instructions; this ship is capable of transatmospheric flight, if landing on the surface is necessary."

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png

OOCWell then I just failed xD*Editing*Though I did say I have arrived outside of the system, as per Xom's 'NO INSYSTEM JUMPS *****' rule. This is me getting into the system and requesting stuffs.

voidstars.png

OOC: I know that. :PIC: "This is Torios Control, your request for landing has been acknowledged. Please direct your ship to the coordinates in the following package."A bit of information including basic information about the planet's atmosphere and ecology, major population centres, and of course the landing coordinates was transmitted to the Natsirt ship.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOCWhat is the atmosphere on that planet?Also, no clue if that's an orbiting dock or ground station so apologizes for blandness, but I hate rectons.IC [Location: 1-10. Identity: Unwavering Justice]The ship touched down quickly enough wherever is had been told to go, four of the crew and the captain walking out in a more standard issue military slip suit, which was slightly more bulky but still rather light all things considered.

voidstars.png

OOC: Jeez i missed alot.IC: 10-1Just as another odd craft was landing, much unlike the vehicles the Kalarii seemed to sport, the Thernian craft's vertical thrusters roared to life. The ship gained altitude while activating its main engines, and after a moment of hovering some hundred feet above the ground, it rocketed out of the atmosphere into space. After the vehicle got some distance, it activated its FTL drive and blinked out of sight.---12-1"Kalarii you say? Intresting... So, they've offered peace and a feast? Sounds like we've got a places to be."OOC:Ship Movements:-Sending 105-C (01) Planetary Habitation & Terraforming Vessel from 12-1 to 32-1. Ship is currently passing through 11-1 to get to destination.-Sending 046-S (01) (02) Light Frigates From 13-1 to 11-1. Ships are currently passing through 12-1 to get to destination.-Sending Civilian Ship (01) from 10-1 to 11-1Construction Complete on:2 046-S (01) (02) Light Frigates @ 13-11 063-M (01) Battleship @ 11-11 105-C (01) Planetary Habitation & Terraforming Vessel @ 12-1Starting Construction on:3 009-SB (01) (02) (03) Orbital Defence & Utility Stations @ 11-1, 12-1, & 13-1THERNIAN STATUS:Profile:Post 21Planets:11-1:Inner World-Azerax (+2 Industry)12-1:Homeworld-Thernax (+5 Industry)13-1:Inner World-Vexavan (+2 Industry)Fleet:2 046-S Light Frigates (-.50 Industry)1 063-M Battleship (-1 Industry)1 105-C Planetary Habitation & Terraforming Vessel (-4 Industry)1 Civilian Vessel (?)Industry:Planets= +9 IndustryFleet = -5.5 IndustryTOTAL INDUSTRY: 3.5--Akaku: Master of Flight

Edited by Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

OOC: Up to a protectorate in systems 50, 38, and 37. Is there any way to speed up planet upgrading?Also, is anything going on as far as interspecies politics at the moment? I don't have as much free time for this as I used to, so I can't read every post like I used to do in IL.Speaking of IL, am I the only one who liked those biweekly posts Wrack would do that gave a quick summary of what's going on in the galaxy?

Edited by Necro
baltimore_ravens.png

OOC~As far as I'm aware, no.~Veeci is planning something tricky with my peeps, my peeps, Koth's peeps, and Ak's peeps are meeting to form the Trilateral Alliance of Planets -TAP for short; remember the name if you ever deal with S1-, and ToA, Power, Xom and Rover are all intermingling and ****.~If high school doesn't murder me first I was thinking of doing a recap every friday/saterday.

voidstars.png

OOC: Xom, if they're specifically designed for it, large ships can function as transatmospheric ships. Anything that's designed to be transatmospheric can be used as such.And I'm definitely going to go with my own modifiers for dropships. Yours are way too narrow for my liking.Anyvay, ze update.Planets:-Diemwnt-Cwn (2-12) - Homeworld-Diemwnt-Drwg (2-11) - Inner World-Diemwnt-Blaidd (2-13) - Inner WorldFleets:-Golau-a-Gobaith scoutship (2-9)Under Construction-Carreg-dur (2-11)-Carreg-dur (2-12)-Carreg-dur (2-13)Industry-(2-11) 2-2=0-(2-12) 5-2=3-(2-13) 2-2=0 Götterdämmerung

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC~Veeci is planning something tricky with my peeps, my peeps, Koth's peeps, and Ak's peeps are meeting to form the Trilateral Alliance of Planets -TAP for short; remember the name if you ever deal with S1-, and ToA, Power, Xom and Rover are all intermingling and ****.

Is the prior anything I'd want to get in on?
baltimore_ravens.png

OOCFrom my discussions with Xom, he's told me many times that large ships cannot enter the atmosphere and survive, for reasons I have yet to figure out. I mean really, even if it's a ship the size of a city, it's already ****ing expensive, what's coating it with thermal plating going do at this point? It's like spending a million bucks then whining about another thousand dollars.And having a city-ship land and disperse hundreds of thousands of troops would just be awesome, IMO.Necro~Methinks you can go greet ToA, but you're kinda on opposite sides of the sector with Power Xom and Rover.

Edited by Alex Humva

voidstars.png