Favorite Authors

Velox

As a "sister-topic" to that in GD, this is for authors outside of the BZP world. My favorite are:For Thrillers:

• [*]Vince Flynn[*]Tom Clancy[*]Brad Thor[*]Stephen Hunter[*]Chuck Hogan[*]Brian Haig[*]Ben Coes[*]Andrew Peterson[*]Alex Berenson[*]W.E.B. Griffin[*]David Baldacci

For Mystery/Suspense:

• [*]Edgar Allen Poe[*]Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle[*]Alfred Hitchcock[*]Agatha Christie[*]Ed McBain

For Fantasy:

• [*]Jim Butcher[*]J.R.R. Tolkien[*]C.S. Lewis

For Poetry:

• [*]Edgar Allen Poe[*]Others that I am forgetting...

Other:

• [*]J.D. Salinger[*]George Orwell[*]Oscar Wilde[*]Flannery O'Conner

My very favorite authors would be Vince Flynn, Jim Butcher, Tom Clancy, Brad Thor, Ben Coes, Stephen Hunter, Andrew Peterson, Brian Haig, Chuck Hogan, and Edgar Allen Poe, but all of the aforementioned are some favorites of mine in the specific genres above.I'm probably forgetting some others, but there we go. Make whatever "categories" you'd like, or just one list or whatever. newso1.png

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

This is so predictable, but J.K Rowling. I have to admit that I'm more a fan of her huge imagination than her writing skills, though her writing skills are formidable as well. I don't think a lot of people could think out the huge Harry Potter universe totally alone. It's not like she made stuff up as she went along. Everything was planned from day 1. Dumbledore and Grindelwald? All planned, she just waited for the right moment to reveal it. Another favorite has to be C.S Lewis. A huge part of what made the books wonderful was the fact that Lewis wasn't oblivious to the fact that children actually are smarter than people think. Because children are NOT stupid. In fact, children have huge creative abilities. They are true, pure artists. Each and every one of them. And they understand what it means when an animal stops breathing and moving. They know what death means, so I don't get why adults are so sensitive about it. Children won't have a traumatized moment when they find out they're not immortal. And Lewis was not oblivious to this fact. Apart from being a splendid writer, that part of the Narnia series is probably what sucks children in. Because they're not underestimated in Narnia.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

Good idea, Velox. ^_^It's hard to seperate my favorite authors into genres, so I'll just list them as they are.

• [*]John Flanagan[*]Timothy Zahn[*]J.K. Rowling[*]Margaret Mitchell[*]Scott O'Dell[*]Avy

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I don't read very much, but my favorite author of all time is Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials). Such fantastic books.I also loved Tunnels, so I'll mention Roderick Gordon / Brian Williams.I did not read the whole Time Quaint, but A Wind In The Door was spectacular, so add Madeleine L'Engle.EDIT: @The Change - Did you catch on that the snake Harry lets out in the first book was Nagini? I realized that recently and was quite amused. Fire & Ice

Edited by Fire & Ice

IetTsFQ.png

EDIT: @The Change - Did you catch on that the snake Harry lets out in the first book was Nagini? I realized that recently and was quite amused.Fire & Ice

I don't think it is. For a start it was implied that snake was male, while Nagini is female. And that snake was a python so would kill by crushing, but Nagini is venomous. I know there are a lot of call-backs in the book (the vanishing cabinet from HBP first pops up in book 2), but I doubt thats oneOh, another author I quite like, Sergei Lukyanenko

7AOYGDJ.jpg

EDIT: @The Change - Did you catch on that the snake Harry lets out in the first book was Nagini? I realized that recently and was quite amused.Fire & Ice

I don't think it is. For a start it was implied that snake was male, while Nagini is female. And that snake was a python so would kill by crushing, but Nagini is venomous. I know there are a lot of call-backs in the book (the vanishing cabinet from HBP first pops up in book 2), but I doubt thats oneOh, another author I quite like, Sergei Lukyanenko
But I read a quote from JK Rowling, she said that it was Nagini. But maybe not; this is the Internet after all -_-Fire & Ice

IetTsFQ.png

Sergei Lukyanenko? Pretty nice writer, that. I forget, did I introduce that to you? I remember pushing you to Dresden, Power.Zahn, Butcher, and Simon R. Green are a few that I like.Do videogame writers count? If so, then I'd throw in Chris Avellone, too.

Edited by Undying Light of the Lake