LEGO to Release Angry Birds Sets

I care less about the fact that LEGO's making Angry Birds sets (hardly the most pointless IP they've ever done) and more about the fact that a game about throwing birds at pigs is getting a feature film.

That's what many people thought about The LEGO Movie, too. How is a building toy getting a feature film?

I could sorta see how Lego could get a movie. What I did not expect was the stop motion style and when I saw that I was blown away.

I thought this cash cow was long dead!

Zombie cow, ready for milking.

Milking a zombie cow... ah gad the picture in my head is... eeeewwwww...

• Upvote 1

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

I care less about the fact that LEGO's making Angry Birds sets (hardly the most pointless IP they've ever done) and more about the fact that a game about throwing birds at pigs is getting a feature film.

That's what many people thought about The LEGO Movie, too. How is a building toy getting a feature film?

Heres the difference: LEGO is a building toy based around creativity, a concept with infinite possibilities. Making a LEGO movie was risky, but there was still plenty of potential.

Angry Birds is a mobile game with an utterly simplistic concept. That's good if you're a mobile game made for whittling away hours, because not everyone wants to get neck-deep in plot when they do something mindless. But from there, it's somehow exploded into an enormous franchise, most of which has come from simply reskinning the game with popular franchises. I'm surprised it's gotten as far as it has. Even if the movie is decent, it will still feel like Angry Birds is squeezing all that they can out of what was originally a mindless little game.

Which was the point of my post. The vitriol at LEGO is undeserved; they aren't the ones trying to milk it for all it's worth. Angry Birds is.

Edited by Dina Saruyama
  • Upvote 4

I could sorta see how Lego could get a movie. What I did not expect was the stop motion style and when I saw that I was blown away.

Except it wasn't stop motion.

The Lego Movie (stylized as The LEGO Movie) is a 2014 computer animated adventure comedy film directed and co-written by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, and featuring the voices of Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Charlie Day, Liam Neeson, and Morgan Freeman.

Edited by Dragon11603

TBH, I will at least get one of these sets just see if it makes  good display model. And of course if the actual birds themselves look decent.

Edited by Marvel Nui

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Except it wasn't stop motion.

The Lego Movie (stylized as The LEGO Movie) is a 2014 computer animated adventure comedy film directed and co-written by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, and featuring the voices of Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Charlie Day, Liam Neeson, and Morgan Freeman.

He said stop-motion style. It was stylized to look like stop-motion. No need for pedantry.

• Upvote 6

Angry Birds is a mobile game with an utterly simplistic concept. That's good if you're a mobile game made for whittling away hours, because not everyone wants to get neck-deep in plot when they do something mindless. But from there, it's somehow exploded into an enormous franchise, most of which has come from simply reskinning the game with popular franchises. I'm surprised it's gotten as far as it has. Even if the movie is decent, it will still feel like Angry Birds is squeezing all that they can out of what was originally a mindless little game.

Sometimes "mindless little games" become some of the most beloved (Tetris, Pac-Man, Mario Bros, Space Invaders, Minesweeper, etc). And considering that Angry Birds at least has the vestiges of a plot (the birds are trying to retrieve eggs that were stolen by the pigs) that already puts it slightly above Pac-Man on the storytelling ladder. Need I remind you that Pac-Man has had not just one but two animated TV series (the latest being less than five years old)? And there's plenty of Pac-Man merchandise out there. So what makes Pac-Man's media and merchandise less egregious than that of Angry Birds, other than the brand's "retro" status?

Beloved stories and characters can spring up from the most unexpected places. This was the case even before the age of the Internet, which enabled just about anything to become a "meme" and take on a life of its own. The play "Nunsense" (which, to quote Wikipedia, "has since been adapted for television... and has spawned six sequels and three spin-offs") was inspired by a series of greeting cards. For that matter, so were the Care Bears, which got their first toys and TV special less than three years after their debut, and have since appeared in two other television specials, three animated TV series, and three theatrical feature films.

As long as a property is popular enough for people to invest in its growth, it can become something greater, no matter how shallow or mindless it might have been to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes "mindless little games" become some of the most beloved (Tetris, Pac-Man, Mario Bros, Space Invaders, Minesweeper, etc). And considering that Angry Birds at least has the vestiges of a plot (the birds are trying to retrieve eggs that were stolen by the pigs) that already puts it slightly above Pac-Man on the storytelling ladder. Need I remind you that Pac-Man has had not just one but two animated TV series (the latest being less than five years old)? And there's plenty of Pac-Man merchandise out there. So what makes Pac-Man's media and merchandise less egregious than that of Angry Birds, other than the brand's "retro" status?

Beloved stories and characters can spring up from the most unexpected places. This was the case even before the age of the Internet, which enabled just about anything to become a "meme" and take on a life of its own. The play "Nunsense" (which, to quote Wikipedia, "has since been adapted for television... and has spawned six sequels and three spin-offs") was inspired by a series of greeting cards. For that matter, so were the Care Bears, which got their first toys and TV special less than three years after their debut, and have since appeared in two other television specials, three animated TV series, and three theatrical feature films.

As long as a property is popular enough for people to invest in its growth, it can become something greater, no matter how shallow or mindless it might have been to begin with.

It's not the fact angry birds was mainstream it's the fact that it doesn't make sense for lego to make this, in the last fiscal year Rovio had to lay off 16% of their workforce (I think it was their workforce), so that shows that angry birds isn't really all the rage anymore. 

• Upvote 1

It's time to move on.

so that shows that angry birds isn't really all the rage anymore. 

XD

I'm guessing Lego is expecting the movie to give it a resurgence or something...

Now I wonder if they'll ever make Lego Pac-Man sets. :P

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

It's possible, but any models would be easy to make from standard bricks and kinda generic (somebody has got to have made a model of Pac-Man out of system bricks by now). It's kinda like expecting them to make Lego Tower sets.

They could make like one set of a Pac-Maze, but that's one set, more of a Lego Ideas thing than an actual full theme.

XD

I'm guessing Lego is expecting the movie to give it a resurgence or something...

I wonder if LEGO Super Mario bros would be any good.

You could have world 1 - 1 as one of the sets, it would be a flat-ish thing with item boxes containing power-ups, Mario and Luigi minifigs and enemies. 

Then you could have a Bowser Battle set with a dropping floor or something that activates when you pull the thing out. 

The level sets could also have hinged parts that allow them to fold in half to take up less space. 

It's a shame LEGO and Nintendo probably won't work together :c

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

XD

I wonder if LEGO Super Mario bros would be any good.

You could have world 1 - 1 as one of the sets, it would be a flat-ish thing with item boxes containing power-ups, Mario and Luigi minifigs and enemies. 

Then you could have a Bowser Battle set with a dropping floor or something that activates when you pull the thing out. 

The level sets could also have hinged parts that allow them to fold in half to take up less space. 

It's a shame LEGO and Nintendo probably won't work together :c

K'nex currently has the Super Mario Bros. (and Mario Kart) licenses, and it annoys me to no end because I know Lego could do better with it. Then again, up until last year, K'nex had the Angry Birds license too... so I suppose there's still hope.

As a side note, this announcement does make me less hopeful for an actual Zelda theme to tie in with the release of the upcoming Wii U title. I don't see Lego introducing two high-profile gaming licenses in the same year. Of course, it's possible that Wii U Zelda might still be two or more years out... and either way, I'd love to be proven wrong.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 1 month later...