Fav War Movies/war Miniseries

Manducus

...If I say Pearl Harbour, how strong will the internet backdraft be? More importantly, how humorous?Frankly, I don't watch war films. There's something about them that irritates me. I think the closest I've ever gotten to watching one is Tropic Thunder. Which was high-larious.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

This reminds me, I still need to see Band of Brothers an The Pacific.Anyway, Letters from Iwo Jima is essentially my favorite movie of all time. Ever. But there's a great many more incredible war movies out there.-Saving Private Ryan-Flags of our Fathers-Enemy at the Gates-Defiance-Where Eagles Dare-The Hunt for Red October-The Hurt Locker-I suppose The Last Samurai would count.Bare in mind that I've seen a whooooooooole bunch more, and these are mostly the best. Also, yes, I'm aware there's a whole bunch of WWII films on there, and none of the classic Vietnam films such as FMJ, Apocalypse Now, and Platoon. This is mostly because I haven't gotten around to seeing those three, and I was on a bit of a WWII film kick a while back to lead to me seeing all these amazing films.19th-20th century warfare is a bit of a fascination of mine, and these are the films that have really captivated the truth of war in them. (Except Where Eagles Dare, which is in there because it's a ridiculously entertaining James Bond style action flick. :P)

exo-toa_battle.jpg

That's a tricky one. War happens to be one of my favorite genres, and I've seen a lot of great movies in that field, but some that I've enjoyed include:-Das Boot-Full Metal Jacket-Saving Private Ryan-Apocalypse Now-The Hurt Locker-Paths of Glory-The Thin Red Line-We Were Soldiers-GettysburgIf I were to play favorites, I would have to say Apocalypse Now. There's just something about that film. It does such a good job of exploring the human mind. It's incredibly surreal and yet surprisingly straight forward and averts two of the common problems with war films:-Sometimes it's hard to follow exactly what's happening when there's a large cast and a huge battle. Here you can usually get a pretty good idea of what's going on. It helps that many of the actioin scenes take place on one boat, and the ones that don't are shown entirely from the perspective of Willard.-With a lot of war films (at least the first time you see them), it can be easy to confuse the characters. They're all dressed up in similar uniforms, and so the only way to tell them apart is by a few visual cues (I.E. Captain's bars on one man's helmet, medical insignia on another, etc.). With Apocalypse Now, every one of the main characters has a distinctive look, and something you can easily tell them apart by, i.e. Chief and Clean both stand out due to being African American (and the former is clearly much older and has darker skin), Chef stands out because of his big mustache, Lance stands out due to his rather plain appearance and blonde hair (he also has camoflauge on his face for a good chunk of the movie, epecially towards the end when he starts to go mad), and Willard is the older, quiet man with dark brown hair and a bandage on his face for much of the film.

I'm not big on war movies, but Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War was heartwrenching.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

• 3 weeks later...

I think my favorite war movie is definitely Glory, followed by Letters From Iwo Jima. It's been a long while since I've seen All Quiet on the Western Front, and I feel like I definitely need to watch it again. I remember being bored by it the first time, but I'd like to watch it again with a more serious mindset.

BZPRPG

Movie wise: Der Untergang. Considering my family history had lots to do with... him, I thought it was rather emotional for me.And miniseries: Band of Brothers. I watched the Pacific, and was personally rather let down by it. It just felt like there was a lot less work put into it compared to Band of Brothers.MTL

Hehe..Hehehehe....Devil's BrigadeHush, i'm Canadian.I love it.(And it has nothing to do with the Canadian's being depicted as more disciplined and better trained than the Americans at the begining of the movie. Nope, nothing to do with that :P)

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

- Kelly's Heroes (Clint Eastwood = FTW)- Where Eagles Dare (Read the above in parentheses)- The Bridge on the River Kwai- The Great Escape- The Dirty Dozen- Saints And Soldiers- Schindler's List- Downfall- The Hunt for Red October- Enemy At the GatesAll of them are great movies, to be honest.

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...