Random Movie Insanity: Bionicle 3: Web Of Shadows

fishers64

Bionicle Web of ShadowsTheme: There are four themes to this movie:1. Pride goes before a fall; it doesn't pay to be overconfident2. It is best to consult with others to avoid walking into a trap (Matau)3. “I only lead those who choose to follow me. That’s the difference between being a leader, and a tyrant like you.”(Vakama)4. “Unity, Duty, Destiny. It starts with unity.” –Rahaga NorikThe directors tried to create a movie with multiple themes and universal application, much like Shakespeare or Crime and Punishment. What they got was a mess, completely incomprehensible. There is also what the characters interpret theme #1 to be, side themes that only apply to certain characters, and themes that are expressed that don’t even apply. One example of that is Rahaga Norik’s conversation with Vakama: “That is something you can’t change.” “Watch me.” And then Vakama does exactly what he says he would, except not quite in the way he imagined when he was talking to Norik. The key to defeating all the Visorak was having Vakama in charge of them and setting them free, which tatters a lot of the other themes stated above. If Vakama hadn’t done what he did, the whole story would fall apart, leaving any themes to the contrary with a giant hole in them.Main Character: MatauSurprised? Who is the first person who we see after the Toa land? Matau. Who is the guy who shows up after the transformation? That would be Matau. Who saves the day at the end, and practically hogs the camera the entire movie? Three guesses. This movie, unlike the other two, is told in third-person limited, with the camera jumping between Vakama and Matau. This nicely explains all of the other film’s peculiarities, like the other Toa practically not existing for most of the film, because in Matau’s mind, they don’t. We have just logged on to the All Matau, All the Time channel for most of the film – and now a word from our sponsor, Sidorak…which is portrayed precisely as Matau views him. That’s probably where the credit music came from, and the whole thing was a nightmare in Matau’s head. The best way to interpret this film as that, and consider the novel Web of Shadows (which was vastly better than the movie) as what really happened.

While I am on the subject of novels, I have to admit that this movie deviates the most from its movie novelization. This is just an opinion, not really an insight, but I think they should have told this story like they told LoMN, and included scenes from that epic Challege of Hordika Battle. The deviation on the chronology between book and movie is so bad that different reasons are cited for Vakama going out and betraying the others.Secondary Major Character: Vakama (duh!)While Vakama exhibits some of the characteristics of taking the lead again, and having to have the theme explained by Matau, which is usually the secondary character’s role, but because nothing is as it should be in this film, I’m just going to throw it out. Web of Shadows is vastly different from the other ones in almost every other respect, so why not this one? And I’ve already explain the whole Matau-as-main-character thing. The story is so sad, demented and messed up, that it even tears up any whiffs of theme and narrative structure. At least, any that make sense. Oh, and also we must establish that Vakama owns the world, even though he is chewed at the expense of the theme, but not really. We have gone back to the Fire-bashing of MoL, because it is easier.All that above nicely explains why nobody liked this movie: Vakama is beat up, nobody can get what the theme is, and nobody likes Matau. The End. Oh, wait, we still have to do the film.The Very First Scene

· So we start off with a giant silver fingernail slicing into Makuta’s now red prison. Red, and thus fire, is on the Dark Side now, kiddies. This is supposed to tell us that Roodaka is our Makuta rep in this film, and unlike the previous two films, His Dark Lordness fails to put in an appearance. Also, it is a symbol of Roodaka’s damage to Vakama, harkening back to the Red Toa Rock in the last film, and basically saying that there is a Makuta trapped inside Vakama, which is a theme from 2005 that otherwise didn’t make it in this film – the darkness inside yourself, remember that?

· Web of Shadows is a really strange title. It could refer to the actual physical web, or the web of deceit Roodaka spins around Vakama. The Visorak aren’t much more than Roodaka’s third arm. The name Visorak goes back to the sun-sheilding “visor”. They are a shield from the light, particularly the light of truth. That’s part of the reason we don’t see any visions in here, and it is their Hordika poison that keeps all those wonderful AI glitches from happening. Also, it might be important to note that Visorak and Vahki are enemies of Vakama, and it is kind of a giveaway that the Visorak end up being Vakama’s instruments. When you see a V, look for a connection: Vakama, Vahi, Voporak all have to do with time; Velika is a foil of Vezok and Vezon, (the guy who gives unexpected wisdom vs. the two crazy cool dudes, and the centrality of Voya Nui is likely the fulfillment of the prophecy given to Vakama in Time Trap, and it goes back to the “daggers of death” = enemies (like the enemies of Vakama). Not all beginning consonants are significant; M and T are overused so much that they worthless. But that is another topic altogether, and it is probably a list of funny coincidences.

The Storm to the Fall

· In case you haven’t interviewed Kongu lately, you know that all Toa of Air love water, especially wild, turbulent water. So, the perfect way to start off the Toa of Air’s worst nightmare is: a rainstorm, a crash, and having to be bailed out by Whenua. Keep in mind Matau is driving; that is important later.

· Matau really doesn’t like wild animals either. Remember that the Toa’s base of operations in this whole sequence was Le-Metru: he probably doesn’t like his neighborhood being run over by it.

· “We faced the Makuta and won. I doubt a bunch of crusty relics are going to give us much trouble, right?” The ultimate statement of pride, but it is pretty stupid since the Visorak aren’t “crusty relics”. And Matau’s comment about walking into a trap doesn’t really make sense, since they walked about two hundred feet onto the island, only to get nailed. Our Main Character is already espousing themes that don’t make since, and we are only a few minutes in. As Nokama would say later, “This is not Vakama’s fault.” Well, it wasn’t.

· Introducing the picture of overconfidence who conveniently gets killed at the end: Sidorak. The pride-goes-before-a-fall theme is rather pervasive – this movie attacks self-reliance and independent action. Lego failed to consider its audience, a lot of people who believe in independent creativity. This movie is almost anti-Lego.

· You’ll notice that the Champion Complainer Onewa’s mouth is muffled by the web, a slight against his personality.

· Also, if you go by the books, Nokama is a foil of Roodaka. Her dialogue in this movie is a lot like she has lost Vakama to Roodaka. (there is a lot of bad romantic connotations in this film, too) Roodaka is a little friendly towards Makuta; and we know how Matau feels about Nokama, so the movie is a complete shipper’s paradise.

· The fall scene: Like the two movies that repeat stuff at the beginning and the end, this repeats the fall itself.

· “I can’t just change” says Vakama, and then he does, turning into Hordika.

· Most of Matau being the Main character comes from the fact that Greg wanted Matau to betray the others, not Vakama. In that situation, Vakama would probably fight Matau to get him back using his zen persuasive skills which he doesn’t have. (that’s Nokama’s and Roodaka’s domain) Switch the roles, and you get WoS, with Matau pushing Vakama over the edge, Matau relizing his awful mistake, learning some hard lessons and trying to convince Vakama that he’s changed. That’s why that keeps getting brought up.

· The fall is a representation of the Toa’s fall from glory into ugliness. Roodaka and Sidorak, our examples of pride and conniving disunity, observe. Nokama is the last to fall, indicating that there is still some good left in her. (one of the best music sequences ever).

Vakama’s leaving, the Great Temple, and Roodaka.

· Before you dis the Rahaga’s propellers, it’s a symbol. The Toa are the lead weight, indicating that darkness within theme again. The Rahaga have not been weighted down or have fallen from glory, and they can move up and down the range from nobility to foolishness with ease. Height is a prime symbol…overcoming darkness moves you up in height, which is why all the protagonists fly or climb up at the end. The Rahaga can already go up there, but they have come down to the Toa’s level to help them.

· Roodaka magically gets a huge Makuta Rock in her private chambers. Even though the tiny heartstone had to be painfully cut from the Makuta prison, a giant Makuta communication stone can easily be bought in Vortixx Mart.

· The next thing is Matau complaining about Vakama, and everyone trying to calm him or stop him. Then the Rahaga appear and explain their condition. This is important: What splits up the team is not Matau’s earlier comments, but the idea that the Matoran’s Rescue should be postponed in order to cure the Toa’s affliction. All the other Toa want to find Keetongu first; Vakama does not. All Vakama cares about is the Matoran; he is completely selfless when he leaves. His “I’ll show them all” comment is his expression of wanting to prove that his position is right. It is Roodaka’s influence that warps his better-than-Matau’s intentions. This is misunderstood by everyone in the film, especially Rahaga Norik.

· All that explains Rahaga Norik’s comment about the Matoran being in the most capable hands: the fact that Vakama was willing to sacrifice everything for them, even his own sanity, shows that he will be the paramount person to keep them safe. Even Rahaga Norik’s comment about the Toa needing Vakama to lead them is factual; Vakama doesn’t care about the others as long as the Matoran get saved. In fact, Vakama would probably love to leave them behind, especially Matau. The whole thing is exacerbated by Hordika venom and misunderstandings.

· Remember that scene when the Toa were trying to get to the Great Temple and were stopped by Vahki? That’s usually the Toa trying to return to their value system, to try to do what is right. This time, it is the venom that won’t let them in; only the Rahaga, who transcend the levels of good and bad, can get in.

· According the novel WoS, Vakama is trying to two-time Roodaka into giving him command of the horde, than use it against Roodaka. This isn’t evident here, giving the audience the impression that Vakama is crazy. He does succeed, however. Remember, Vakama owns the world, even when crazy.

· Vakama destroying the Great Temple is pretty much his statement of saying that his values don’t matter to him anymore.

· Then, in a complete failure to get the point, the other Toa decide to expedite their search for Keetongu in order to save Vakama, who left them over that very thing. And then we slide over and show something out of Disney.

· And in a complete contrast to Disney, Vakama bangs on Sidorak’s door, with a few imprisoned Rahaga to add to the picture.

· “To save Vakama, you must use your new skills and ablities, not be rid of them.” No duh. Can’t listen to your leader who has been telling you that for the last 30 minutes.

The End
  • [*]Vakama is sick and tired of recalcitrant Toa who won’t listen to him, so what comes out of his mouth is “Bow down and pledge your allegiance…to me!” If he hadn’t added the addendum, “And…to Sidorak”, I’m almost certain that the other Toa would have done exactly as he said. Still running, Toa?[*]“Put me down.” Don’t pull me up to the level of truth. I don’t want to see what is. And I definitely don’t want you to either, you traitor.[*]In the final piece of irony, the first time Sidorak says something not prideful, he gets destroyed.[*]Then we have the second fall, which is stopped by Vakama, not by the Rahaga.[*]And then there is that famous Vakama quote: “For some reason, he doesn’t scare me anymore.” Makuta fought against his destiny; but Roodaka twisted and corrupted it. Roodaka is worse than Makuta; where Makuta failed to get Vakama to switch sides and become evil, Roodaka succeeded.[*]And then the magically appearing airships, which provide that round linkage of Matau driving something, which is exactly how we started.[*]End Matau’s Dream and Movie Three

It isn't like the other films, where there was this mystic feeling and lots of symbols and hidden meaning. Most of this one is analysis of character's intentions, because there is no meaning to this, it foreshadows nothing, and it is insane - hence the title. It's also why it was shorter.I was tempted to skip this one and TLR largely because of that, but since I had something to say and WoS analysis was corrupting the LoMN topic...this happened.

You won't find anything in The Legend Reborn like this, I'm sure.

That movie is underrated. Not saying it was great, but it is really hated on a bit much.
It's not like there is too much hidden meaning in TLR, however. It mostly is what it is. Also, it is not available on [snip], so I would have a hard time reviewing it, because I would have to do it from memory. :-( Edited by -Windrider-

You won't find anything in The Legend Reborn like this, I'm sure.

That movie is underrated. Not saying it was great, but it is really hated on a bit much.
It's not like there is too much hidden meaning in TLR, however. It mostly is what it is. Also, it is not available on [snip], so I would have a hard time reviewing it, because I would have to do it from memory. :-(
If you did find it on [snip], it'd be pirated, which is a big no-no.I've actually never thought any of the BIONICLE movies were that deep, least of all WoS. I always liked Web of Shadows out of the first 3 movies because it seemed a lot more dark and foreboding, with a couple subtle and not-so-subtle hints of what's coming next. Still, it's really interesting to read this, remember the movie, and go "Wow. That really does connect that way!" Edited by -Windrider-

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

Very interesting. WoS was actually my favorite book when I read it (now it's my second favorite, behind Time Trap), however, I thought the movie was underwhelming. Matau was actually my favorite character in 2004-05, but I think the movies did him a dis-service. The voice acting made him sound like a real buffoon, when in actuality he was much more than that.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

Good points you made, nice analyzing it. I liked this movie, but after watching it, Vakama turning to the dark side was kind of a corny plot twist, mostly a cliche. Good movie, but probably needed some work. Still, good job on examining it, you have a lot of good points and explanations to things. =)

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Wow, are you a Shakespearean analyser or a novel deep analyzer? Your analysis was simply amazing! This just became my favourite BZPower topic(well, second to the BZPRPG lol :P )

If you look in the Media Discussion forum, y'all will see two more of these topics analyzing the two predecessors to this one. And to answer your question, I am a writer, or what you might call a "novel deep analyzer." :)

Are you seriously analyzing a children's movie as if it were a deep novel?

tried to create a movie with multiple themes and universal application

Nonsense. It was a movie to sell BIONICLE ets. There no some ulterior altruistic motive to spread deep moral philosophy. You're right that they got a mess, but not incomprehensible. Because there's nothing to comprehend.You can analyze everything and interpret it in every single way. Hence most religious schisms. You can pretty much find any conclusion or message in the movie if you look hard enough.While overanalyzing and logical leaps may increase your peer's opinion of your intelligence, it's obvious this is all the work of the analyzer. B3:WOS may have had some messages inside, but it's the product of a consumerist society who makes movies to promote children's toys. That's what it is. Just like not all abstract paintings represent something (many time they are just have an aesthetically pleasing composition), this movie doesn't have a deep message.Your analysis is repectable, deep, and logical, but nevertheless silly. Most of the "esoteric truths" are rather superficial, and most is simply overanalysis.And the arsenic begins flowing into my drinks....

Nonsense. It was a movie to sell BIONICLE ets. There no some ulterior altruistic motive to spread deep moral philosophy. You're right that they got a mess, but not incomprehensible. Because there's nothing to comprehend.You can analyze everything and interpret it in every single way. Hence most religious schisms. You can pretty much find any conclusion or message in the movie if you look hard enough.While overanalyzing and logical leaps may increase your peer's opinion of your intelligence, it's obvious this is all the work of the analyzer. B3:WOS may have had some messages inside, but it's the product of a consumerist society who makes movies to promote children's toys. That's what it is. Just like not all abstract paintings represent something (many time they are just have an aesthetically pleasing composition), this movie doesn't have a deep message.Your analysis is repectable, deep, and logical, but nevertheless silly. Most of the "esoteric truths" are rather superficial, and most is simply overanalysis.And the arsenic begins flowing into my drinks....
I know he's just overanalyzing just about everything, but it's still fun to read what he's got.

The directors tried to create a movie with multiple themes and universal application, much like Shakespeare

Any credibility your analysis has disintegrates here.The directors weren't trying to be like Shakespeare. They were trying to advertise a toyline.There's nothing thematic or universally applicable in the movie, nor was there meant to be. There didn't need to be. Edited by Sir Kohran

That was an incredibly pessimistic and over-analyzed interpretation of the subtle moral themes present in a movie created with the sole purpose of selling a bunch of stupid frickin' toys....Nicely done. :P

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

He's not overanalyzing,just that every story we tell, be it movie, book or whatever, has a deeper meaning attached to it. Do you think GregF plucked stories from his head and said hey this is a great paycheck. No, it comes from experiences, other books and all that which is deeply rooted into our heads. Even words we use are indirectly linked, and we do not realise it. That's why I'm sometimes good or bad in literature. Hidden meanings and links exist even though you do not realise it. Even if you wrote a kindergarten story, there are inferences in every sentence. You toust have to search for them. TLG may not have wanted to make it so complicated, but with a storyline like Bionicle, there will be hidden meanings and links so bizarre you would never suspect them. I think maybe we should cool off our words for a while.Phew, that was a mouthful. Now, where's my water... Edited by Norik Ta Hagah

Wow, I did that? Ooohhh...Someone said before, TLR is mostly basic and Hero Factory has a poor storyline. I don't know which heroes are which by now. I could do TLR but may be a while. It's very little, as I say. You are right, though, I am overdoing it. Sorry if I was blabbering to much. Also, nice Shadow Guard profile picture.

Dude, you're overdoing it at this point.As I've said before, try finding as deep a meaning in TLR or Hero Factory. Or Clutch powers.

Which is why Bionicle is so unique!Nah, I am not going to try TLR. There isn't much of a meaning in there, and I cannot watch it again.

<p>

Dude, you're overdoing it at this point.As I've said before, try finding as deep a meaning in TLR or Hero Factory. Or Clutch powers.

Which is why Bionicle is so unique!Nah, I am not going to try TLR. There isn't much of a meaning in there, and I cannot watch it again.
I should try TLR :P Edited by The Beninator

Hey, we all know Clutch Powers had a really deep storyline. I mean, he had Indiana Jones' jacket, where do you think he got that from? :PANyway, I still think the was good. I feel MoL and LoMN had deeper things to look into, but WoS was still good. I felt it could have been made much better if it didn't have to appeal to small children (If it could have been darker, things like that)

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Hey, we all know Clutch Powers had a really deep storyline. I mean, he had Indiana Jones' jacket, where do you think he got that from? :PANyway, I still think the was good. I feel MoL and LoMN had deeper things to look into, but WoS was still good. I felt it could have been made much better if it didn't have to appeal to small children (If it could have been darker, things like that)
I don't know. Web of Shadows was pretty dark.

I've always laughed at the line, "A bunch of crusty relics aren't going to stop us!"Really, Vakama? Have you forgotten all the times you've faced Rahi in the past? Hasn't Whenua told you of all the times something broke out of the archives and almost ate him? Can't you see all of the giant and dangerous creatures roaming around your team? No wonder he was the first to get shot by the Visorak, his pride literally blinds him!

Onuarock.PNG

I don't know. Web of Shadows was pretty dark.
Yeah, it was the darkest, that's why it was my fav of the 4. XD

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!

• 5 weeks later...

Eh, I have to disagree with you on this one. I liked WoS much, much more than I did MoL, though LoMN will always be my favorite. TLR was meh. :PWhy? Well, for starters, it had a lot of one of my favorite characters (Matau), and compared to MoL, it was a lot darker and had better action sequences. Also, that "duel" between Matau and Vakama was the coolest 10 seconds of any BIONICLE film ever, if only it could have dragged on for a bit more...Plus, the Great Temple sequence with Norik and Vakama was remarkably atmospheric and creepy. Though it was, of course, not without its faults, I still think it was an improvement over MoL....Though the idea of it all being a dream of Matau's fits incredibly well. I hereby support this hypothesis.:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!