The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

This is why I need a proof reader. My grammar is nothing special.So....a resounding: We just want an SW RP then? Well, I'll go for an open galaxy then. Glory to the brave. Rest assured my fellows, if this fails then I shall do my best to drag you all down with me!EDIT: I will be encouraging PC's to band together through various means. Also Hyperspace travel takes time. Quite a bit of time.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Well... There's a different feel. The other RPGs were "Let's all be Jedi!" so there was a lot of people on Coruscant and things like that. If you're wanting more of a smugglers and stuff type feel, like I think you do, it'd be better to keep it Outer Rim. Either works though, I'll be going through and finding an interesting species to play as. :P

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

Well considering the Melennium Falcon could go 1.5 c, which was referred to as extremely fast, it'll take centuries to cross the Galaxy.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

I think we all kinda ignored that after Episode IV.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Jedi and Sith will still be limited. But corruption is everywhere and so are those who fight it. Canonwise, Hyperspace travel normally takes hours or days according to a quick check. In earlier canon it took much more time I think. I'll say....three weeks to get from the Outer Rim to Coruscant with the best Hyperdrive available.. It'll make long trips much larger investments and encourage more planning. For various reasons PC's will be encouraged to band together. If you want to wonder off and do your own thing, great. But don't expect to have access to all the resources a group of PC's working with each other will have.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Millenium Falcon had a 0.5 Class Hyperdrive. If I'm doing math right then a Class 1.0 would make it in 6 days. Class 1.0 doesn't seem to be all that common. Class 2.0 and 3.0 seem to be the most common.EDIT: Looking at things more, it seems to vary a lot. Wookiepedia says a HWK-290 comes with a Class 2.0, so whatever.

Edited by Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

And, of course, long trips encourage a lot more Fireflying. And really, isn't Firefly but with a Hutt instead of Badger what Arbor Day is all about?EDIT: Kaithas, if you've got multiple people on the ship, they can interact. Mayhaps they run into a problem during the voyage.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Might cut that down to two weeks then. With...six days added for every class higher then one.EDIT: Only if you don't like character development and interaction Kathias. :P

Edited by Basilisk

Well, if you're going to do that, you need to make sure you've got the time system down so two weeks in-game means something that makes sense out-of-game. I know two weeks in-game=two weeks out-of-game is a bit much.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hm. A time scale might be needed....but then again, so long as we have staff who are on top of things then it might not be needed.

I have a preference for things going smooth. Inconsistent time with no reference to tell what time each character's at makes things not be smooth.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

....A solid point. How does one RL day=Two IC days sound?EDIT: I'll also make a list of good starting planets so people can meet up earlier in the RP and not spend time alone with no one to IC with in Hyperspace.

Edited by Basilisk

Hmm... That still makes the Rim->Core travel time for a Class 1 one week... still, if they're smart, they'll make some stops on the way.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Time systems don't really work with direct interaction because in some cases it could be quite a while before you get a reply, and with a time system that would mean your character standing around for X days/weeks doing nothing waiting for the other player to respond.Even in the RTSRPGs we always counted time as slowed when specific events were going on. It just doesn't really work with things like this.And RPGs before have pretty much gone fine without any sort of system.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

"In the Past" disclaimers should work.People appearing out of nowhere smoothly yes. I'm going for something different here. Long-term planning and careful thinking.

An easy fix for that is having the players include a little tag saying what time they're at, so that interaction that's supposed to take fifteen minutes in-game really does take fifteen minutes in-game, even if it takes rather longer out-of-game.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Character development should be easy enough with this system. A bunch of people forced into a metal can flying through another dimension as it speeds them around the galaxy? Someone should make a TV series about t-They did? How many?That many? Oh.

Just thought; would it be possible to spar a Jedi with a polestaff made of, say, Madalorin Steel or whatever it is that they used during KOTOR to make things lightsaber immune?Because I have this great urge to have a pirate-merchant who has a bit of beef with the Jedi (maybe they abducted his baby) and so came into possession of some of this now-rare metal and made a polestaff out of it.I've seen some truly legendary things done in polestaff spars, so I just wonder how well it'd translate to a Jedi, who can see a split second into the future and thus predict your next move.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Hm. I might not allow it right off the bat, but I don't see why you can't have it as a goal. It will be expen$ive however.I wouldn't suggest using it as a main weapon. You'll get new cauterized holes to breath through if you do that.

Edited by Basilisk

So, that's a no to bringing a giant metal pole to a laserblade fight?Oh yes, guns are more practical. Until the Jedi deflects the energy bullet into your skull.Alternatively you just snipe the Jedi. If it worked for Order 66 it can work for me.

voidstars.png

You can. It'll be expensive and might not be all that effective. But you can. You'll likely die. But you can.I'm perfectly willing to let PC's make mistakes and die. :P

...that meme right there has made me never want to touch a polestaff again. Seriously.I think that, to keep the pricing and weight down, rather than having it solid anti-lightsaber metal, it's just plated with it.

voidstars.png

Mmh. There are cheaper ways to deal with Jedi than a lightsaber-proof polestaff. My favorite way is very politely providing them with a hefty chunk of funding for that new temple they've been wanting, much as I would, in later in-game years, deal with the Empire by providing them with some credits that might well know the whereabouts of those droids they're looking for.Yes. In terms both of monetary cost and cost in years on your life, bribing Jedi is cheaper and smarter than a polestaff. Not by much, but, you know.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Much better to just build a battle droid outta the stuff and......I think they actually did that. Quite sensible for Star Wars.

Against a Jedi of any skill level though, it'd be rather difficult to pull off. The whole 'see the future' thing hurts a lot....I see why Jedi are so often times feared. They're a group of religious fanatics who kidnap babies and, if you try to stop them, can predict you trying to stop them and kill you with ease. Order 66 was only successful because it took them completely off guard and were overwhelmed, and as the EU loves to point out, a lot of Jedi made it out alive.Bribing works too.

voidstars.png

Yep. A bunch of minding-reading police with total authority who can take your children. I can see where the CIS was coming from honestly.

So, will a sniper be able to touch a Jedi?...how is Star Wars about kinetic weapons, btw? Even Star Trek had to answer that eventually, and it came in the way of a kick*** sniper rifle that can shoot through walls. From what I understand Star Wars shields are pretty effective against high-velocity rounds, but a Jedi doesn't have a Star Destroyer's deflector array. I have this great urge to end people, Jedi or no, with good old kinetic weaponry. It may not be as flashy as a blaster, but I'm sure it could work.

voidstars.png

As I understand it, kinetic weapons and flamethrowers are quite effective against Jedi. Vespine Shatterguns in particular.EDIT: Hope the Jedi isn't checking the future at that moment in time. Or have a weapon with a large effective radius.

Edited by Basilisk