The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Hrm. Just my luck whenever I try to off a Jedi, they'll be conveniently doing one of those "I'm standing here listening to this Senator, but really I'm meditating and gazing into the future" stances.Oh great. Lightsaber grenades.Mass effect guns? I do a mental doubletake whenever I hear about a gun that uses ammo that magically gains kinetic energy.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

...runic supersonic rifle.Hooray!Ahem. Yeah. Certain of the Jedi abilities are a wee bit ridiculous.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh. Well then.Expect me to be a merchant-pirate who dislikes Jedi and is skilled with a slug throwing sniper rifle, but as any good merchant-pirate should be also handy with his pistol. Maybe toss in a shotgun in the cabinet for real emergencies. Does the Star Wars universe have anything with a higher melting point than tungsten? Tungsten should go through the plasma that lightsabers are made of, being neither ferromagnetic or easy to melt , but you can never be too sure.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Being able to see a split second forward is the only real way you can use a lightsaber without hacking yourself to bits.

voidstars.png

Hmm. Well, surely tungsten exists in the SW universe, so it should work rather fine.

voidstars.png

...Somehow it's used as a....gas or something in a Lightsaber.Weird.Sure go ahead. I can't see anything contradicting it.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Tungsten?Gas?HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAhem. Yeah, other plasmas I can see being used in a lightsaber and still doing their job of being hot just fine. Tungsten gas/plasma, however, would be pretty nasty stuff. Nasty as in "your clothes catch on fire ten feet away" nasty.

voidstars.png

I get that Star Wars is already soft science, but seriously. 5555 C is the boiling point of tungsten. This is not molten lead. This surpasses a lot of lava flows. I don't care what Lucas thinks is cool, gaseous tungsten, unless the lightsaber is artificially creating lower pressures and thus it has a vastly lower boiling point, is really, really, bad news.

voidstars.png

Last time I had an idea...well, let's just say thousands of elves died and I have a throne of skulls to show for it. :PEDIT: Indeed. It's slightly...out there. Hm....

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I think the cybernetic bits made up for that. I'll do some research on this. I've got a book on it around here somewhere.

To be fair Grievous is mostly machine. Probably programmed it into his limbs or something.

voidstars.png

Thrones of skulls are ergonomically terrible. I think much more of a Dark Lord who goes out and buys himself a well-upholstered recliner.But yeah, I think it's best to clear our throats and ignore some of the stupider aspects of Star Wars science - science being the one thing George Lucas understands less than tactics.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

And I mean the whole idea behind a lightsaber (plasma contained in a magnetic sheath) can work, they've done it IRL. It's just the power costs are absurd for us doing it today. I'm sure in the SW universe though, the crystals that make a lightsaber a lightsaber have that energy required though.Tungsten as a gas however is just absurd.

Edited by Void Prophet Alex Humva

voidstars.png

Checked it out. Tungsten isn't used according to the wiki so we can safely shelve that.Moving on, Lightsabers require the force or an absurd amount of training. Or you can rip off your limbs and get some cybernetic replacements.....Clearly I laid down some linens and comforters after I was done Rover.

Actually, machines could be programmed to perform these tasks. As well as a Jedi, according to the wiki the CIS had a squad of droids for just that purpose. That's downright sensible of them.Fit a cybernetic limb with a small processor and....

Well, this should be fun. Outlaws in the outer rim having a jolly good time killing Jedi, stealing spice shipments, and dodging those pesky customs officers.Sounds like a good RPG.

voidstars.png

Use a light saber. It might not be as good as a Jedi, but it has the advantage of feeling no pain, machine efficiency and the fact it can built in large numbers by a factory. Seeing into the future is great. But numbers tell in the end I would assume.

Edited by Basilisk

As I recall seeing at least one incident in which a non-Force-user and non-cyborg held and used a lightsaber without chopping himself up into tiny pieces, I think this facet of the argument is kind of pointless.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Who was that again?

voidstars.png

Tried once. Didn't do very well. I got my elf skulls the old fashioned way! By leading armies of Orcs against them!

Prince Xizor, a criminal figure who features prominently in novels, very nearly killed a Jedi with his own lightsaber. The article on the lightsaber, while it says that it is a difficult weapon in the hands of the untrained, does not say that the Force is necessary for use of it - only that the Force makes things easier."Lightsaber combat was the preferred fighting method used by lightsaber wielders, many of the forms and styles being designed to compensate for the gyroscopic effect inherent in lightsabers, and take advantage of the Force-sensitivity common in most wielders."So yeah. Force=helpful, not absolutely necessary. A Force-user would probably beat a non-Force-user nine times out of ten in a duel, though.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I hate to bring rules into this, but in the Star Wars D20 RPG, characters with no Force Sensitivity received a penalty to attack rolls with Lightsabers, but this could be overcome with lots of experience.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."