The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

I need to stress now that the outline runes are fairly common-sense shapes, in terms of their relation to what they represent. Basically, if you want to know what the EM Spectrum form-rune looks like, try to think like I do about these things. You won't succeed in figuring out what it looks like, but it might entertain you.If you really want to know, I'm probably going to be doing large drawings of each form-rune this weekend, and with luck I'll be getting them scanned.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, that's one of the things I need for the magic draft actually. Well, not need-need, but it'd be nice.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Yeah well college. Best-case scenario, you'll see 'em Sunday.College is for people who want a concrete excuse for not having a life.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

College kills anything that could resemble a life and then desecrates the corpse.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Well, 1860 is well within range of Telsa's first experiments, so unless you're playing as Jim Bob the Farmer, I'm pretty sure late Victorian era science was slightly better than that.
Well you did say the books we'd be learning from were older. Dusty old tomes from ancient tombs and so forth. So its their mindset we'll be learning from. We just have to learn to adapt and modernise as we learn more

7AOYGDJ.jpg

So, due to the time scale and the fact that getting to the battle of Yavin would take roughly twenty or more RL years, there may be time skips in the RP.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

I know how you feel. I've been combing through the wiki for the best few days myself. Expect a rough draft or at least some profiles this weekend.

Once the character profile form is up, I'm going to be in the market for a couple of extra crewmembers on a generalized-crime ship - piracy, smuggling, mercenary-work, and bounty-hunting, basically. The captain's an ambitious human, the mechanic's a Dug, and nothing else has been figured out yet. The ship is slated to be an AEG-77 Vigo. Gunners, pilots, co-pilots, etc. wanted, but only if the character interests me.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

A note, I'm not letting anyone start out uber-rich. Work for your wealth! I have no issues with small-time crime bosses, but if you want to play with the big fish...you will need to work at it.

Yeah, my guy is going to start out with just enough money already to be able to have and maintain an AEG-77. It's my intention to work his way up to being a major force in the criminal sector. Think of what Malcolm Reynolds would be if he had the ambition to be something on the same level as Adelai Niska, and that's what you get. He's going to be funded, rather obviously, by the jobs he does - and for a freelancer in 44 BBY, I'm sure there will be plenty of work available.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Upper middle class is fine. It's where people feel like they can throw around a million credits right off the bat that I have issues. I'm trying to balance things, bounty hunting for example brings in a lot of income. But the chance of your character screwing up and getting killed are much higher....Did I mention NPC's will be much then punching bags in this RPG? If someone tries to take on a certain mild-mannered senator from Naboo right off the bat then....bad things will happen.

It's also been mentioned to me, in some detail, how the plot of canon events might change, mostly due to competence boosts all-around. Suffice it to say that the Trade Federation isn't going to make certain head-smashingly stupid mistakes.What I'm doing is finding the most interesting situations to put myself in, creating characters for that, and then also bringing back a character from the last SW RPG I was in, whose goal ended up being to gain control of a weapons manufacturing corporation with the aid of a certain disgruntled former employee.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So what exactly will we start knowing? I'm toying with character ideas currently.
I think my current plans is a basic handbook on runes and three runes that you'll already know, probably from the handbook.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Ah, well, about the Aztecs.I consulted with Basilisk on the matter, and, well... they're kind of conquered. Disease wasn't as big of a factor in their conquest in the real world as their massive tactical blunders and the hatred of all the tribes around them were.The Incas, however, didn't split their empire in two like a bunch of useless tools in this universe, so they're good to go.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well uh...The date of the conquest of the Aztecs isn't changed in this.If he got out before that happened, then he's been around since the early 1500s.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If you think the Aztecs had a king, just go read up on the Aztecs so you know the culture you're dealing with. Also read up on what actually happened when the Spanish conquered them.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

King, emperor, great speaker, different names, slightly different authorities.I'm going have a librarian myself, a sort of Sherlock to Rover's Moriarty. It'll be interesting to see how that works out in-game, as I don't think Rover's really settled on a nationality for him yet.

voidstars.png

I offer to anyone who needs it my knowledge of history that stems from a border-line obsessive compulsive disorder.

Edited by Basilisk

It's 1860.

voidstars.png

The Duar War is about to hit them then. Four years down the line. The alternate history might change that. Or they could have been conquered by the Mongols.

Well, as the British, in this, didn't even manage to retain Ireland and Scotland, British India almost certainly isn't British. It's possible that the Khanate ruling China might have conquered the small states in the Himalayas, but it's equally possible, I suppose, that they took a look at the Himalayas and decided it wasn't worth it.Thoughts on that matter, Basilisk?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If anyone like Tamerlane was ever in charge, that's unlikely. We'd probably see a Mughal Empire in India, they might have gone around the mountains or made them client states. Or conquered them. The first two seem more in the Mongol style however. They avoided bloodshed when possible. It was only when you resisted that things got bloody.

Edited by Basilisk

Well someone like Tamerlane (exactly identical, exactly.) was in charge at some point, so yeah - Mongol-derivative Mughals in India, client states in the Himalayas. There'd probably be some disagreement between the Yuan Khanate and the Mughal Empire regarding who exactly the client states are supposed to pay tribute to, right?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

You know Toast, several Iroquois were brought into the court of Queen Elizabeth II. They didn't last very long in our reality but in this one? Who knows. So if you want to play as a fish-out-of-water sort of thing you could work that angle, be descended from them or something

Edited by Lord of Adders Black

7AOYGDJ.jpg

A fun historical note!

It is alleged that Timur's tomb was inscribed with the words, "When I rise from the dead, the world shall tremble." It is also said that when Gerasimov exhumed the body, an additional inscription inside the casket was found reading, "Who ever opens my tomb, shall unleash an invader more terrible than I." In any case, two days after Gerasimov had begun the exhumation, Nazi Germany launched Operation Barbarossa, its invasion of the U.S.S.R. Timur was re-buried with full Islamic ritual in November 1942 just before the Soviet victory at the Battle of Stalingrad.
So yeah. Even in death, Tamerlane can wreck you. In a alternate history RPG involving magic, I just had to bring this up. Edited by Basilisk