What Do You Mean By The "mata Nui Robot Set"?

fishers64

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to this poll, a good number of BZP members want a "Mata Nui Robot set". That term is somewhat less than meaningful.The second question is to gauge how Lego, if they were going to make the set, can or should make the set. It might be easier for Lego to make this set out of new building system parts, and since posability may be an asset with this set, it may be a slight improvement in that regard.

Edited by fishers64

if its made from hf parts, that would be a disgrace to bionicle

IMHO, no - in a few ways (most notably proportion), the HF pieces are better than Bionicle's pieces, actually.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

IMHO, no - in a few ways (most notably proportion), the HF pieces are better than Bionicle's pieces, actually.
Agreed.Besides, it would be very difficult to create a robot on scale using the BIONICLE pieces; HF would most likely be better, even though it wouldn't be perfectly to scale.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Numbah One on both.Somehow, it jsut doesn't seem right to me to do the Matoran Universe Using hero-factory peices. That would be like making a homage to Elvis, but decorating it with pictures of Johnny Cash.

With ya on that. HF pieces are two.. flimsy. Bionicle wasn't. I dunno, that's my preference.

The original robot, and I don't really care what it's made from. They're not two different systems, they're compatible like all Lego parts. Or have we forgotten that Hero Factory is a simple branch from Bionicle, which was a subtheme of technic, and technic was an extension of system?

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Agreed.Besides, it would be very difficult to create a robot on scale using the BIONICLE pieces; HF would most likely be better, even though it wouldn't be perfectly to scale.
A 40 million foot tall set is largely out of the question. Would four feet be big enough? I think so. That way it will be on a 1:1 million foot scale.

I meant 'On scale with the figures'. I'd want it to be as close to scale as possible; Maybe like a giant, proper-figure compatible playset, similar to ones of the days of old?Or they could sell different parts seperately, as a 'collect-them-all' thing. (What? I'd buy them!)

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

actually, there was this moc i saw, that looked exactly like the mata nui robot. i just need to find the link

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I meant 'On scale with the figures'. I'd want it to be as close to scale as possible; Maybe like a giant, proper-figure compatible playset, similar to ones of the days of old?Or they could sell different parts seperately, as a 'collect-them-all' thing. (What? I'd buy them!)

You mean, like on scale with the sets? If 6ft (actual world) = 6 inches (our world) than the set would be conceivably 40 million inches tall. That is still 3,333,333.33 feet tall, which is still too big for my bedroom.40 inches might work, but that is shorter than 4 ft, which is what I had in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted "the original Mata Nui robot" and that I would not object to Hero Factory parts. In fact, I had never considered how perfect the Hero Factory building system would be for such a set-- its boxier structural design would be well-suited to the original Mata Nui robot, which design-wise was entirely unlike any BIONICLE character who appeared as a set.Of course, while the HF building system would be ideal for a Mata Nui robot set (has anyone proposed that through Cuusoo?), there would have to be many new parts designed so that the parts suit his aesthetic perfectly. Yet it shouldn't be a waste of money because I'm sure aside from the head, these sorts of parts would be perfectly usable in the Hero Factory theme and other constraction themes using that building system.

I voted for the original, and that I would not object. I think, if it was handled properly (predominantly system-based construction with HF parts as accents or armor here and there), it could look really amazing. Sure, an all BIONICLE MN Robot would be awesome, but it's not really within the confines of reality. A system-based robot would allow for the kind of detail that would really make the set stand out. -Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

I voted for the original, and that I would not object. I think, if it was handled properly (predominantly system-based construction with HF parts as accents or armor here and there), it could look really amazing. Sure, an all BIONICLE MN Robot would be awesome, but it's not really within the confines of reality. A system-based robot would allow for the kind of detail that would really make the set stand out.-Mesonak

I'm not sure how much I would like a System-based Mata Nui robot set. While System would allow for more detail, most System MOCs of the Mata Nui robot which I've seen have been terribly imprecise. Why would a System set be any different? In fact, a set of the Mata Nui robot in System might be more imprecise than most MOCs, because corners would probably have to be cut to ensure that it's simple enough for people of various ages to build and stable enough for people to play with.Also, consider the size such a model would have to be. The head of the Mata Nui robot is very small compared to the overall model, but it is one of the areas with the highest detail of the entire robot. To preserve that detail in System, the head would have to be somewhat large, meaning the overall model would have to be massive. For instance, if the head were a rather reasonable six modules wide, it would be ten modules tall. The Mata Nui robot's height is around twelve times the size of his head (estimating from this file), so a robot with a head this size would be 120 modules tall-- at 5/16 of an inch per module, that's 37.5 inches tall, or just over three feet!A Hero Factory based one would also surely be imprecise, but I think the overall look of the Mata Nui robot could be maintained with just a few new pieces (a head and two to four new shells). Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I voted "the original Mata Nui robot" and that I would not object to Hero Factory parts. In fact, I had never considered how perfect the Hero Factory building system would be for such a set-- its boxier structural design would be well-suited to the original Mata Nui robot, which design-wise was entirely unlike any BIONICLE character who appeared as a set.Of course, while the HF building system would be ideal for a Mata Nui robot set (has anyone proposed that through Cuusoo?), there would have to be many new parts designed so that the parts suit his aesthetic perfectly. Yet it shouldn't be a waste of money because I'm sure aside from the head, these sorts of parts would be perfectly usable in the Hero Factory theme and other constraction themes using that building system.

Actually, the objective of this poll was to see how I should make a Cuusoo proposal for Lego to see. I have a concept drawing in my head as to how this can be done with HF parts, and I wanted to see the reception that such a proposal would receive. The best way to propose it, however, is likely to be making an LDD MOC of the frame (beneath the cladding) and then have Lego use the current concept art to design the large cladding pieces you will need.

A Hero Factory based one would also surely be imprecise, but I think the overall look of the Mata Nui robot could be maintained with just a few new pieces (a head and two to four new shells).

I seriously doubt this. HF limb pieces could be used to make a rigid "net" to attach solid cladding to, but you cannot clad this thing with standard HF parts and make it look anywhere close to the real thing in terms of detail.

I would probably object to a Mata Nui set made from HF parts, because it just wouldn't feel right to me. BIONICLE needs to stay BIONICLE. I objected to LEGO changing the desing of those joint peices often used as hands back before 2009. Make an old school BIONICLE set, and I'll be happy. Especially if it has a build like the pre-2006 figures. Even more so if it includes those functions sets used to have. Any one else remember when you could swing a Toa's arm wildly by just spinning a gear on it's back? So much fun!

The main body Makuta took over, and I actually think HF parts would be more appropriate.The last thing I want is a typical Bionicle-pieces Toa torso with a head stuck on top. It would ruin all sense of scale difference. But HF pieces look different enough I could see them representing something much larger. And they have the internal skeleton surrounded by armor look that is fairly close to the dome-filled interior with outside armor of the giant robot. :) The knobs in the middle and ends of the limbs could even be seen as containing domes.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

This, shall end all arguments:behold! somebody that i dont know who made it's creation!http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=410107thanks to whoever made this. it is truly inspiring

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

This, shall end all arguments:behold! somebody that i dont know who made it's creation!http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=410107thanks to whoever made this. it is truly inspiring

Accurate representation of shape, not size. Amplification difficult. New system needed. Sequence complete. Still, it was an otherwise good Moc....

A good idea to make one. BUT, I can't see it made out of HF parts. A combination of Exo-force wings (as limb armor) and Bionicle pieces would be good. Now it WOULD be out of scale, but do you really want a universe crammed into your bedroom?

Well, yeah. You don't honestly think we WOULDN'T, do you? WHAT IS THIS TOPIC ABOUT?

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

This, shall end all arguments:behold! somebody that i dont know who made it's creation!http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=410107thanks to whoever made this. it is truly inspiring

Accurate representation of shape, not size. Amplification difficult. New system needed. Sequence complete.Still, it was an otherwise good Moc....
How big do you want it to be? There's no consistent scale for Bionicle, especially in the early years, but continuing right up to the Toa Mata Nui set. I think the MOC was an excellent representation, and shows that a set like this could work, which I had doubted.

Since Bionicle and Hero Factory parts are both entirely compatible with each other, I don't see why it would be an issue to use Hero Factory parts to build something from the Bionicle universe, unless there are certain Bionicle pieces that have not been used in Hero Factory that a MOCist would want to use.

HF parts just aren't right for a Bionicle set. Also the HF parts seem quite thin and brittle/fragile. And Bionicle parts seem somewhat better for the MU robot as HF parts are too easy to build with if you're talking about something like the MU robot.

Fragile? Seriously? The Hero Factory parts have been some of the most reliable ones I've encountered. I haven't had to worry about parts breaking for over a year, with the exception of Jetbug who came with the 2008 style of Y-joint instead of the new 2011 ones.As for BIONICLE parts being better, I'd strongly disagree. BIONICLE parts, stylistically, don't resemble the heavy metal plating of the Mata Nui robot. Their typically framework-like structure is greatly at odds with the large, solid surfaces most of his body is covered with. System, Technic, or Hero Factory could potentially work, but not BIONICLE as far as I'm concerned. Although ideally I think a set of the Mata Nui robot would need several new pieces to get some of his armor designs just right.

• 2 weeks later...