Mythology

Biohistorian

There were so many of them that I see considerable difficulty in attempting to compose a concise answer to that question...I used to be big on Egyptian mythology when I was younger, though I never actually knew very much about it. Mythologies in general still interest me, but I don't know where I could find good resources on them. It seems ancient religion was invariably a very confusing mess, which makes it difficult to get into it. I like things organized.

le-koro_concert.png

Talking Over an Ocean - Hahli and Amaya are best friends.

but what do you know about our long forgotton "great Beings"?

'Lots' is probably the simple answer to that :PCollecting them is a hobby of mine, supplementary to the work I do in the field of archaeology. I generally seek out connections and similarities between separate myths as links between cultures. And there are tons of connecting myths...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Quite a bit, my friend. :PI've been reading mythology since third grade (the santitation of said myths have vanished as I got older, naturally). Favorites include Norse and Celtic, but I guess Greek is an obligitory answer, since everyone seems to get their start there.-Inferna

I wouldn't say they're long-forgotten.Somehow I don't like the term mythology. They're just other religions after all. ([More modern and popular religion] mythology would seem offensive) We could however do the opposite and call them all mythology, but I get the odd feeling some people might not like that.

Quite a bit, my friend. :PI've been reading mythology since third grade (the santitation of said myths have vanished as I got older, naturally). Favorites include Norse and Celtic, but I guess Greek is an obligitory answer, since everyone seems to get their start there.-Inferna
I got started on Norse/Germanic, actually. xD-Dovydas

Rather a big fan of Celtic mythology, though Egyptian's good too. I know rather more, I'll admit, about Greek mythology than Celtic, but I'm working on it.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, and I probably started with Egyptian mythology, although that was because of school. Greco-Roman myths are cool and probably the best-known in America and a lot of Western Europe (from what I've heard); however, Norse myths are absolutely the most interesting (assuming we aren't including "modern" religions under the umbrella of "myth").~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

I was being a bit general; pretty much everyone at my school got their start in Greek. :P (Granted, that was mostly through Percy Jackson books, which aren't always faithful to the story, but what can you do?)Favorite Greek deity: Hades (the Furies too, if they count)Favorite Norse deity: FreyaFavorite Egyptian deity: Sekhmet or ThothFavorite Celtic deity: Epona (horse goddess) or Aengus (love god)-Inferna

Favorite Greek deity: Hades (the Furies too, if they count)Favorite Norse deity: FreyaFavorite Egyptian deity: Sekhmet or ThothFavorite Celtic deity: Epona (horse goddess) or Aengus (love god)-Inferna

I agree with the choice of Greek gods, Hades is seriously under-appreciated in these modern times.Favourite Norse deity possibly Heimdall. Or Loki, just for the various characterisations you could read into himFavourite Egyptian deity would Thoth. A librarian of a god who could nevertheless lay the smackdown on you if he needed to. He's like a nerd's best fantasy :PCeltic deity most likely the Dagda. Because you cannot go wrong with a god clearly styled after Brian BlessedFavourite Aztec deity is Huehuecoyotl for the same reasons as Loki (they are basically the same archetype) though Nanauatzin gets points for turning himself into a sun god by throwing himself into a fireFave Akkadian god would be Ea/Enki because its rare to see a god care about humanity as much as him

7AOYGDJ.jpg

My favourite Nors deity is probably Hodur. Poor Hodur. Got punished for something he didn't really intentionally do.Favourite Egyptian deity... probably hated Isis the least. I dunno, Egyptian gods (not to say the mythology itself) never appealed to me, any of them. None of them really had anything interesting to me.Greek deity, yeah, Hades.Agreed with TPTI on Ea/Enki.Favourite Mesoamerican deity amounts to... yeah, Hernan Cortez comes the closest. Call me an ignorant uneducated twat unable to see past allegory, but from a number of gods who constantly tear out the intestines of their brothers and sisters yeah thanks no.-Dovydas Edited by Dovydas the Nerevarine

Favourite Mesoamerican deity amounts to... yeah, Hernan Cortez comes the closest. Call me an ignorant uneducated *oh my* unable to see past allegory, but from a number of gods who constantly tear out the intestines of their brothers and sisters yeah thanks no.-Dovydas

Going over, for a moment, the fact that Hernan Cortez was pretty murder-happy too, but the Aztec gods, while violent, are still pretty interesting.Also, ah, language.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ah, ancient mythologies. Cool stuff if I do say so myself. Sadly I'm sort of a generalist; I know bits and pieces from Greek, Norse, Roman, Aztec, and Native American mythologies, as well as a dabbling of Egyptian, but not much substantial in any of them, except maybe Greek.I gotta agree with the other peeps on Hades being my favorite Greek god. He was the nicest of all the gods and yet he's so unappreciated. :|

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Favourite Mesoamerican deity amounts to... yeah, Hernan Cortez comes the closest. Call me an ignorant uneducated *oh my* unable to see past allegory, but from a number of gods who constantly tear out the intestines of their brothers and sisters yeah thanks no.-Dovydas

Going over, for a moment, the fact that Hernan Cortez was pretty murder-happy too, but the Aztec gods, while violent, are still pretty interesting.Also, ah, language.
No doubt for either of those points. Hernan Cortez was a murdering maniac, and I agree that the Aztec gods are certainly interesting - as is much of mythology, but... idunno. They're pretty meh to me. I was never particularly interested in any of the Native American mythologies, probably because I never tried to get interested, and my knowledge of them amounts to a few history books and Brother Bear.So I really can't say I know a lot about them.-Dovydas

If it helps, Dovy, they weren't all blood-crazed lunatics (as an example, Quetzalcoatl, arguably the most well-known of them all, wasn't given human sacrifice). Aztec culture did have a bit of a thing about spilling blood, but then so did a lot of older European and Middle Eastern mythologies. Go look at what the Priests of Cybele did, for instance. Like all ancient cultures they drew a link between blood and fertility, possibly because blood does increase fertility in the ground, possibly because they thought it would keep other stuff alive just as well as it kept us alive

7AOYGDJ.jpg

greek, egyptian, norse, and native american are my favorite. my favorite dietes are dionosys, bes, loki, and kokopeli.

• 5 months later...

I have been interested mostly in Greco-Roman classical mythology, and Norse mythology, but the other day I was looking up interesting tidbits of Slavic mythology, mainly Polish.

There were so many of them that I see considerable difficulty in attempting to compose a concise answer to that question...I used to be big on Egyptian mythology when I was younger, though I never actually knew very much about it. Mythologies in general still interest me, but I don't know where I could find good resources on them. It seems ancient religion was invariably a very confusing mess, which makes it difficult to get into it. I like things organized.
Indeed.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2