The Official Minecraft Topic

Starting to mess around with Mystcraft. First randomly created world is a darklit world thats apparently composed only of ice plains, taigas and extreme hills. Sweet :) no weather though, so snow won't replenish.
Make a snow golem to get infinite snow. Just trap him on one block, with the block he is standing on accessible from the side, and just click and hold on the block with a shovel. Infinite snow!

banner.jpg

Starting to mess around with Mystcraft. First randomly created world is a darklit world thats apparently composed only of ice plains, taigas and extreme hills. Sweet :) no weather though, so snow won't replenish.
If/when you figure out the symbols for that, please tell us, it sounds AWESOME. :D

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

You guys seen the latest dev pic from Jeb? It shows skeleton heads on a wall.If this means we can finally behead our enemies and stick them on a wall as a trophy, Minecraft is officially the greatest thing ever.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Having just finished rewatching the pilot of Warehouse 13, I'd like to see randomly generated artifacts that we can collect. ^_^ :w:
It's not part of vanilla Minecraft, and they're not exactly randomly generated so much as randomly dropped by certain enemies, but Thaumcraft 2 (part of the Technic Pack) has Artifacts that are used for research... ;-)

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Taking a little trip back to my vanilla world, to finish the adjustments to the sand/forge village. Afterward, I made this.http://www.majhost.c...y.cgi?i=3467842Unfortunately, I had to break all the other nether portals in my map (including tnting the portal hazard facility in the southern village, on a whim...still have to clean that up) in order to get this to function correctly, but it was worth it. Trying to decide if the replacement End Portal should be a long drop or a "Lake of Ender" to put the starry texture to good use.

If/when you figure out the symbols for that, please tell us, it sounds AWESOME. :biggrin:
The symbols it generated were small biomes, Ice plains, Taiga, Extreme Hills, Dark, No Weather, Slow Time, and Standard Terrain. I've a sneaking suspicion the world may be unstable, though, because I keep getting lag spikes, but they're fairly minor so I could be wrong.Edit: Scratch that, the world is DEFINITELY unstable. Eh, I guess the symbols can always be used to recreate a more stable version of it later. Edited by Artezza Trigger

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

You guys seen the latest dev pic from Jeb? It shows skeleton heads on a wall.If this means we can finally behead our enemies and stick them on a wall as a trophy, Minecraft is officially the greatest thing ever.
If it turns out that you use a specially-crafted weapon to get the heads of your enemies, I'm going to start wearing tinfoil to keep Jeb out of my brain.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Taking a little trip back to my vanilla world, to finish the adjustments to the sand/forge village. Afterward, I made this.http://www.majhost.c...y.cgi?i=3467842Unfortunately, I had to break all the other nether portals in my map (including tnting the portal hazard facility in the southern village, on a whim...still have to clean that up) in order to get this to function correctly, but it was worth it. Trying to decide if the replacement End Portal should be a long drop or a "Lake of Ender" to put the starry texture to good use.
If/when you figure out the symbols for that, please tell us, it sounds AWESOME. :biggrin:
The symbols it generated were small biomes, Ice plains, Taiga, Extreme Hills, Dark, No Weather, Slow Time, and Standard Terrain. I've a sneaking suspicion the world may be unstable, though, because I keep getting lag spikes, but they're fairly minor so I could be wrong.Edit: Scratch that, the world is DEFINITELY unstable. Eh, I guess the symbols can always be used to recreate a more stable version of it later.
Er... That's hardly vanilla. You edited those portal blocks in. Nether portal blocks can't be placed next to each other in vanilla; the block updates and realizes it's not in a portal, and destroys itself.

banner.jpg

Well, he probably isn't counting World-Edit as a moderator that makes a world non-vanilla - an idea that has some merit, as WE isn't a persistent moderator like the Technic Pack.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

DDude, y u no have your server on ever? :sadface:In other news, I LOVE boots of the Meteor. Better than Swiftbow's Rending Gale for distance travel, and that's saying something. (Though the Rending Gale IS most useful for preventing fall damage from abuse of said Boots of the Meteor. :P ) I'm now building some angelic statues to help keep the area around my eldritch obelisk clean, they look awesome and they've more than completely counteracted the Obelisk's Taint influence. :cheers:EDIT: Angelic statues made out of Totems of Dawn, I should have made that clearer. :P And they're so pretty! :P

Edited by Flipz

Eh, I made Hurricane Boots, which, quite frankly, blow the Boots of the Meteor out of the water - especially when you've got a good weapon on you, so you can either snipe an enemy from the air (difficult, due to the trickiness of maintaining stability in the air) or swoop down on them like some kind of demonic hawk (difficult, due to timing, but awesome) instead of dropping straight down into the middle of whatever you have to kill.Meanwhile, I may just incorporate a terraced agricultural system into my vanity project. I'll probably just be growing trees, but still, it should go well with the waterfalls, Roman arches (hooray, accidental Golden Ratio!) and Mayan silliness. Still not sure what I'm going to do with the fourth side of the thing - you know, the main part of the temple. I know there's going to be a straight aqueduct with the Fibonacci Sequence incorporated into the arches somehow, but after that...Fortunately, I have decided that the aqueduct is not how people are supposed to get into the main temple. That would have been a pain to work out.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Flipz...you're the only one I've invited xP
I know that, I mean every time I check your server in my server list, it shows as being offline. I guess you and I have totally different schedules. :PYmper, those are the boots of the Gem Armor, correct? I just recently filled up a second Klein Star Omega, so I'm considering which Gem Armor piece to make. I've been leaning toward the chestplate (so as to have permanent lava immunity without having to have my volcanite ammy in my hotbar), but if the boots are really just as good as the Boots of the Meteor... (the Gem Armor helmet is my last priority, as I'll be using the Goggles of Revealing for a LONG time, as I still have several Thaumcraft projects in the works and the Taint/Vis info granted by the goggles is just too useful to get rid of just yet. ;) EDIT: Graaaaaah hate the Gem of Eternal Density. Accidentally dropped it into my "EMC Targetting" Alchemical Chest, and it ate all my items. <_< Fortunately, I closed out of minecraft without saving and was able to recover (and essentially got "free" EMC to boot, as it saved my inventory but not changes to the chest inventories in the world), but from now on those little buggers are reserved ONLY for normal chests, to prevent a repeat occurance.In other news, I now have 3 fully charged Klein Star Omegas, so I think I'll go ahead and make all pieces of Gem Armor except the helmet. ;) Edited by Flipz

Er... That's hardly vanilla. You edited those portal blocks in. Nether portal blocks can't be placed next to each other in vanilla; the block updates and realizes it's not in a portal, and destroys itself.
I usually use Vanilla to refer to worlds that have no modded materials in them. As far as editing goes, I usually never use it for more than creating solid walls - any more than that sucks the fun out of building.
EDIT: Graaaaaah hate the Gem of Eternal Density. Accidentally dropped it into my "EMC Targetting" Alchemical Chest, and it ate all my items. <_< Fortunately, I closed out of minecraft without saving and was able to recover (and essentially got "free" EMC to boot, as it saved my inventory but not changes to the chest inventories in the world), but from now on those little buggers are reserved ONLY for normal chests, to prevent a repeat occurance.
...couldn't you have just as easily used the transmutation tablet to get the items back when you needed them? Or am I misunderstanding how the Gem of Eternal Density works?Edit: Out of curiousity, I looked up a few Tekkit servers. A lot of them have Equivalent Exchange disabled, on the grounds that its too overpowered. But the only place that this should matter is on faction and pvp servers - but for some reason those type of servers are the ones that DO have it enabled. Makes no sense to me at all. Edited by Artezza Trigger

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

EDIT: Graaaaaah hate the Gem of Eternal Density. Accidentally dropped it into my "EMC Targetting" Alchemical Chest, and it ate all my items. <_< Fortunately, I closed out of minecraft without saving and was able to recover (and essentially got "free" EMC to boot, as it saved my inventory but not changes to the chest inventories in the world), but from now on those little buggers are reserved ONLY for normal chests, to prevent a repeat occurance.
...couldn't you have just as easily used the transmutation tablet to get the items back when you needed them? Or am I misunderstanding how the Gem of Eternal Density works?Edit: Out of curiousity, I looked up a few Tekkit servers. A lot of them have Equivalent Exchange disabled, on the grounds that its too overpowered. But the only place that this should matter is on faction and pvp servers - but for some reason those type of servers are the ones that DO have it enabled. Makes no sense to me at all.
It might be that people who play faction servers want to be able to use the offensive abilities of EE items even if they'll be on the recieving end of a red matter sword for a long time, while those on non pvp servers see many EE items as potential griefing tools (ie destruction catalyst + griefer = no more anything).

...couldn't you have just as easily used the transmutation tablet to get the items back when you needed them? Or am I misunderstanding how the Gem of Eternal Density works?
No, I mean I use that chest to store a "sample" of items I need to duplicate often, to stick into the "target" slot when I put in my Klein Star (otherwise it'll just give you high-EMC items like pedestals and red matter and the like). When the gem ate them all, it would have been a pain to try and get them all back, as many of them have EMC values in common with a LOT of different items (512 EMC seems to be VERY common).

The Destruction Catalyst is far kinder than TNT, I think - the DC at least drops everything it destroys. Besides that, if the people running the server put in a few plug-ins so that griefing can be fairly easily remedied/prevented, the whole point is... well, kind of pointless.Meanwhile, though they don't realize it, someone has issued me a challenge. I think World-Edit was involved in theirs (notice the squareness of the brown blocks bordering the project), so I've got to do something more impressive in my Technic survival world, because crowded bar, hacksaw, people who play the Striõ Karla RPG here in COT know the rest.SoWater Temple, Stone Tower, Fortress of Doom, something absurdly over-the-top.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Temple of Arcane Magicks? I can picture a great spire in the center, connected to a hexagonal "web" of six slightly smaller towers, each of which is themed to a particular type of Vis Crystal (Vis, Firey, Aquatic, Vaporous, Earthen, Tainted). Perhaps the center tower could be themed as a "depleted" Vis Crystal, with many strange things visible inside.One thing that I think would really make your build epic would be if it were actually functional, in addition to good-looking. You know, have some mechanical workings, or EMC grids, etc., and make them look good in conjunction with the overall design. My underground enchantment room is an example of this; it has an EMC 17/5 flower, plus four Mk. III Collectors exclusively for converting charcoal to Aeternalis Fuel, and a full set of brains in jars for the Occultic Enchanter, and yet it actually looks good. I'll get some screenshots next time I'mk down there to show what I mean, but I think that that sort of design philosophy (along with the Harry Potter "obviously supported by magic and yet somehow still realistically feasible" philosophy) would make for an EPIC build.In news for my own world, I still think the Boots of the Meteor are more fun (after all, you're bouncing around rather than just flying), but I will admit that the Hurricane Boots are pretty cool.Additionally, the Gravity Greaves keep causing my Minecraft to crash whenever I use their ability on a MoCreatures mob; that really should be fixed. Also, the texture for the red matter greaves and Gravity Greaves is messed up, it displays over my character's torso and boots, not over the legs like they should be.

The trouble with building another functional structure is that I really have nothing else I need a structure to do - I've got all the alchemy stuff I reasonably need, my Thaumcraft stuff is safely tucked away from my pretty stuff... I'll have to think a bit for my other projects.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

You could try and take a hand at building a nuclear plant. I'm going to build one after I finish crafting Equivalent Exchange and Thaumcraft items.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

~

The trouble with building another functional structure is that I really have nothing else I need a structure to do - I've got all the alchemy stuff I reasonably need, my Thaumcraft stuff is safely tucked away from my pretty stuff... I'll have to think a bit for my other projects.
Who cares about NEDING the functional elements--they're there to show off your skills at building. I didn't NEED a EMC flower in my spell room (it's actually kind of a pain to harvest), but I did it because it was pretty AND fiunctional. ;)

My Mystcraft base will likely be rather ornate, yes, but it is also in quite a different category from my vanity projects.I think, though, that I may well attempt to find a middle-ground between Norse architecture and Byzantine architecture, and base either a military base or a proper city on such a combination. Either way, it would have to be a coastal thing, with either a river or a long inlet crossed by a bridge based on that which da Vinci designed in the 1500s for Sultan Bayezid II.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I just felt you all needed to know. Toa Driken has been banned from Limbo. He has felt the need to come back after telling me he was done with the server and grief it.

Limbo is switching servers! Please calm you Lava producing farms... Christ.

"This will be my finest hour!" - Fulgrim The Phoenician

"There is a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life" - Leonard Church

"Pinkie Pie Style" - Pinkie Pie

"Oh I know what the Ladies like" - Sgt. Avery Johnson

"I'm A madman with a box! Without a box!" - The Doctor

ToaD griefed and got banned?...Yeeeeeeeeeeah. Sorry, but I'm having trouble believing that one. Any witnesses or screenshots of him doing so?

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

ToaD would enter creative mode and through splash potions of harming at you constantly until you died, and then repeat the process. He would also beat you into oblivion if you did the slightest thing he didn't like on a cave exploration trip. Trust me, it's believable, though I wasn't there. -ibrow

So, player griefing rather than structure griefing?

voidstars.png

Ok let me clear this up, Nav a while back had made a comment about all Bzpower members and I wish I could tell you but It is not repeatable on here, then later XXaron had made a home but someone griefed it with X in it so I told Nav to get on the server and actually do something which he did nothing and made the comment "Its just a pity creation on a temp map It won't matter" after all that I told Nav that I can't take it anymore and said I'm done with limbo.

I just felt you all needed to know. Toa Driken has been banned from Limbo.He has felt the need to come back after telling me he was done with the server and grief it.
Just because of all the stuff I explained does not mean I griefed the server and I would gladly appreciate it if you did not frame me.
ToaD would enter creative mode and through splash potions of harming at you constantly until you died, and then repeat the process. He would also beat you into oblivion if you did the slightest thing he didn't like on a cave exploration trip. Trust me, it's believable, though I wasn't there. -ibrow
You forgot my spamming of poison potions :P and I admit to doing those but I changed later on and honestly I really tried to not kill you guys Edited by Driken Toa of Shadows
I'm just ToaD

Hey can the rest of the people here try to recreate an error I'm getting with the Technic Pack? You see, the Gravity Greaves are severely bugged. For one thing, both the red matter greaves AND the gravity greves appear as boots, with the "legs" part of the texture being mapped onto the player torso texture. For another, oftentimes when the Gravity Greaves' special ability (the one activated with Shift) is used, Minecraft will suddenly freeze and crash. Via process of testing I've concluded that the problem is most likely the result of an unexpected interaction with the MoCreatures moderator, but I was in a Taint (Thaumcraft 2) biome, so there is some possibility of an unexpected cross-interaction there as well. Could the rest of you try and replicate this, with different circumstances and the like? So far, I've successfully pushed Tainted Creepers, Tainted Sheep, and normal pigs and sheep with no problem, but the moment I hit a horse or a MoCreatures sea creature, Minecraft froze and crashed.

I have the same issue with the pants mapping as more of a vest, but I haven't made the Gravity Greaves yet, so I can't test that bit.EDIT: Meanwhile, I found this guide to architecture in Minecraft. I'll save my views on it until after a few people have weighed in, so I don't spoil the fun.

Build Purposes and IdeasA huge part of builds that many tend to overlook on the server is the planning of the build. Before starting any build you need to step back and ask yourself, “What am I building anyway?” Way to many builds have no purpose, which really takes away from the build. Adding a purpose to your build goes a long way, and it will even help you out. If you have a good idea, filling the inside of the building will be easier and building the exterior to go along with the build theme will be easy. You need to build in accordance to your purpose. For instance a library should have things like obviously books, but original things as well such as a computer section for research or to look up book locations, or a dewy decimal system for finding books, a bathroom, lots of desks for homework, and a librarians or checkout area. These are just examples of theme ideas.The other hard part is picking a good build purpose. Some common, and boring purposes include
  • Castles / Towers
  • Arena / Coliseum / Sporting Fields
  • Lighthouses / Observatories
  • Treehouses
  • Dojo / Pagoda
  • Temples / Bathhouses (including Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Mayan and Asian)
  • Vehicles of any sort, such as boats, airships, spaceships and trucks (except blimps, blimps are cool)
  • Obstacle Courses or Mazes
  • Simple redstone devices like combination locks, lights-out games or LED display units.
  • Bridges
  • Floating Islands

Other things to avoid when designing a build

• A statue, monument, garden or otherwise purely decorative
  • One room
    • This includes multiple story builds that are basically one big stairwell with furniture

[*]Empty inside[*]Mostly one material[*]Going to collapse under its own weight

• This typically entails a 1 thick platform of some sort floating over the edge of a cliff with, at most, a 1×1 pillar or two to hold it up.

[*]Underground

• Basements are fine, but there needs to be a building with an exterior. Doors do not count as an exterior.

[*]Underwater Buildings[*]Hollowed out mountains

Base Build Shapes and StyleOnce your build has a purpose, you need to decide how you will begin the build. To many builds now are just one basic shape like a circle or square and that is exactly what you should not build. Try to build with many shapes in one. One giant circle is a terrible idea. Other things to avoid are shapes on top of each other like a circle above a circle above a bigger circle. A good idea is to try to use shapes in combinations with others, as well as use certain letters for a general build layout. When it comes down to interior building, look at a real floor plan, very few rooms are perfect rectangles and almost none are the same size except maybe bathrooms. Try not to pack your buildings in, let them flow, and always try to have ample space. Cramped interiors are never good. Build Pallet and StyleWhen thinking of what materials to use when creating a build, you should keep your build purpose/theme in mind. A good idea is to Google some images of a build similar to yours and see what others have already done. Also keep a time period in mind. If your doing a western theme, don’t use iron beams and concrete to make walls. A more modern design, like a skyscraper, would use lots of glass, stone(concrete), and maybe iron. Obviously you can add more materials but your pallet needs to match with your build and so do the colours. I don’t think I have ever seen a rainbow building in my life, so generally its probably not a good idea to build a checkered rooftop or a rainbow building. Your colours need to match with your style.

• Avoid an all=grey/black/white color pallet. They may look nice at first, but can become very boring and dull

After choosing a pallet and colours, you need to determine what kind of style or architecture you will use. For instance, a medieval church would be Gothic, so again, consult google images to check out some Gothic design or even check out some builds that are already on the server such as Maxi’s cathedral. Try to match buildings with the correct architecture, even in minecraft it can be pulled off quite easily. Interior DesignInterior design is one of the last things you will probably do when building your project but it is equally, if not more important as the rest of your building. It can make and break your build, so you need to spend as much time on it as necessary. Many times you may run out of ideas on how to fill the empty space inside your project, this is where the theme and purpose of your build come into play. Think of what things your build would include to be functional. Functionality is a huge part of your interior. A train station cant function without a ticket booth and a theater cant work without a dressing room. Bathrooms are usually a good idea as well (Hint, hint).You need to find the sweet spot in between having to much spawn inside, or having it being to cramped inside. Make sure to have your areas and rooms very accessible. A giant airport doesn’t have one 5×5 airport for a giant terminal, it will probably use a variety or exits and entrances. Usually, the bigger the size, the more entrances needed. Another really important point of interior design is repetition. Repetition is boring, no one wants the same room over and over again, its boring. Never stack rooms and never make a bunch of rooms that share the same purpose. The only time that is considered okay is when building something like a skyscraper or extremely tall building. Other Good Ideas

• Stairs are usually preferred over lifts.
  • Glowstone is ugly, try to hide it
  • Try to avoid using ugly materials like cobble or planks, unless they actually serve a good purpose
  • Try to make your builds universal with all texture packs
  • Include good lighting in your build, but not to much of it.
  • Always remember to use a number of materials, not just one main material.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Most of this seems to be a "do not" list...you should give some more "dos."Also, the bit about "make your builds universal with all texture packs" really bugs me, especially considering the Voxelbox's (and other decorative packs) pack--it's designed to not jive with the default pack, so that people can tell whether you're using the Voxelbox pack or not. So that universal idea doesn't really work all that well.:w:

I didn't write the guide. Personally, I think it's bloody stupid, and has more to do with that one person's personal dislikes - which are also stupid - than actual sense. The bit about floor plans is okay, but the rest is bad advice.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh yeah.Meanwhile, I think some progress shots on my current project might be in order.Sunset shot of the inner circle.Top-down view with part of the second circle complete.Night-time shot with part of Archimedes Base in the picture.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh yeah.Meanwhile, I think some progress shots on my current project might be in order.Sunset shot of the inner circle.Top-down view with part of the second circle complete.Night-time shot with part of Archimedes Base in the picture.
I will never figure out how you build such huge awesome stuff, anything going to be built in that Colosseum?

it isn't actually a Coliseum. It's a circular aqueduct - you can see, in one of the shots, the beginning of a straight aqueduct branching off of it. There are several waterfalls going from the circular aqueduct into the water basin below it. Originally, that basin - which is partly based on the Chand Baori well in India - was the whole point of this project.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

...I think I need to get Technic ASAP.Simply because I've seen a few playthroughs of Tekkit, and of course Technic has more mods in it...Shame I have to downgrade to a lower version. I love my emeralds and sandstone villages.Unless Technic 8 comes out soon. Then I'll be happy.If it's compatible with 1.3.1. If not, then I'll just downgrade... no big deal. Seems like too much entertainment and such to pass up.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

I just felt you all needed to know. Toa Driken has been banned from Limbo.He has felt the need to come back after telling me he was done with the server and grief it.
Uh-huh. Suuuuuuure. While you're at it, why don't you ban yourself for TNTing my house?

banner.jpg

Yeah, that's another reason why I'm doubtful of ToaD's supposed griefing. Why is he banned but none of Nav's six thousand friends not, when they've done so much worse?For that matter, Demonbaby wrecked the entire map, which counts as mass griefing in my mind. Several times. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Fool me seven times over, what exactly was going on?

voidstars.png

It will probably be a while before Technic 8 comes out, because all of the modifications involved have to be updated to work with 1.3.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom