The Official Metal Topic

Laughing Man

So I got a $10 Amazon gift card. Should I get Gothic by Paradise Lost, or one of the three Katatonia albums I'm missing?

Well, you probably know which one I'm gonna suggest :P Seriously though, Katatonia's great, but Gothic is the album that created Gothic Metal and I'd say it's definitely worth owning. Though I'd give a couple of tracks from it a listen first, if you haven't already, as like with pretty much all Paradise Lost albums, it's different to their other releases. Edited by -Malchior-
  • Upvote 1

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Ended up getting Gothic. I had actually chosen it on the strength of the songs Gothic and Eternal, which I'd heard on the Reflections compilation and loved. I think I enjoy the early death/doom stuff more than their mid and later era works, but all of it I've heard is solid.

Edited by Eucliwood

Ended up getting Gothic.I had actually chosen it on the strength of the songs Gothic and Eternal, which I'd heard on the Reflections compilation and loved. I think I enjoy the early death/doom stuff more than their mid and later era works, but all of it I've heard is solid.

Glad to hear. Personally, my favourite Paradise Lost era is the current one, as of around the last 5 years, but I do love the early Death/Doom and the following Doom Goth eras. Although they haven't yet put out an album that I didn't like :P

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Dude. Awesome. *high five* You're the first person I've met who knows of Lordi. No, second. Laughing Man (wherever he is) introduced me to all those bands. Except Sabaton.

*high fives back* xDWeird, because most people I've met know them. Even if they're only like "Weren't they the Monsters from that Eurovision Song contest..." :lol:

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

*high fives back* xDWeird, because most people I've met know them. Even if they're only like "Weren't they the Monsters from that Eurovision Song contest..." :lol:

Judging by the dates on your comics, you're European? I can't even find their CDs in the US. Had to, ahem, BORROW them from the internet ;P Sabaton is another European band. Swedish, to be exact. I love 'em.

Laughing Man (wherever he is) introduced me to all those bands. Except Sabaton.

shhh, don't bring up my past sins
There you are. Dude, you fell off the face of the earth. But seriously, I credit you for my current taste in music. Thanks a bunch, bud :P

Judging by the dates on your comics, you're European? I can't even find their CDs in the US. Had to, ahem, BORROW them from the internet ;P Sabaton is another European band. Swedish, to be exact. I love 'em.

Haha, yep. ^^ But I didn't think they'd be so... exotic in the US. Ah well, live and learn.Swedish? Oooh, I should check them out.

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Haha, yep. ^^ But I didn't think they'd be so... exotic in the US. Ah well, live and learn.Swedish? Oooh, I should check them out.

Yeah, I have yet to see 'em over here. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. And yeah, check out The Price of A Mile, Wolfpack, and 40-1 by Sabaton. My favorite songs of theirs.And sorry that my tastes didn't evolve with yours, LM :P

oh god please nomake it go awaysuch horrible bandsgiving bands like those more fans is not something I am proud of.

I get it, tastes change. I think everyone here can vouch for that.But you should at least respect your roots; it's getting really irritating seeing you always hating on bands you used to love.You don't like 'em anymore, that's cool. But stop indirectly putting people down because of it, you were once in the same boat.This message goes to everyone. If you don't like a band, don't post.Simply posting to say "that band sucks" or "they're not metal enough for me" isn't cool. Edited by HAZMAT

@HAZMAT: This is true.

Your bands suck, they aren't Metal enough for me.

Indeed, the quality of the bands music is matter of opinion, but this is the metal topic so we should discuss metal. Not that generic mainstream drivel perpetrating to be metal.Whith the exeception of Sabaton and (in my opinion, Slipknot), none of those are metal and all are terrible. Oh and very "niche."

sykurafire.jpg

I get it, tastes change. I think everyone here can vouch for that.But you should at least respect your roots; it's getting really irritating seeing you always hating on bands you used to love.You don't like 'em anymore, that's cool. But stop indirectly putting people down because of it, you were once in the same boat.

not sure if the "you" is directed at me specifically or people in general, but in the event that it is the former, I'm confused. I very rarely even mention bands I used to like, let alone "hate on" them, so idk where you're getting this "always hating on bands you used to love" thing from.I was also unaware that you're not allowed to express distaste for you used to enjoy. I suppose I should be throwing around kind words about the Jonas Brothers and Hilary Duff, then.

This message goes to everyone. If you don't like a band, don't post.

welp, so much for the concept of opinions

Simply posting to say "that band sucks" or "they're not metal enough for me" isn't cool.

good thing I don't try to be cool, then! Edited by Eucliwood

Indeed, the quality of the bands music is matter of opinion, but this is the metal topic so we should discuss metal. Not that generic mainstream drivel perpetrating to be metal.Whith the exeception of Sabaton and (in my opinion, Slipknot), none of those are metal and all are terrible. Oh and very "niche."

look, regardless of how you feel about those bands (i don't like any of them either), they're still metal. arguing over whether or not a band is "true metal" or not is the key to being a butthurt IMN. let's kill that mentality right hereso something more on topic:

Now, after sneaking around my idea for days, worrying, forgetting about it then finding it again, and so on, I thought I might as well post in here and ask:Does anyone know Van Canto?

oh Van Canto, i do know of them. their cover of battery was the first (and probably last) thing i heard by them. they're just too silly for me to handle. it's cool to see people doing something new and original in the metal scene but i can't handle how ridiculous they are. it's not like they're bad or anything (i'd certainly never listen to them though) but i hold respect for them simply because they're unique. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

If you don't like a band and express your opinions in a way to start a discussion, that's OK.But too many posts just contribute absolutely nothing to the topic, or are written in a way that only starts up arguments.The past few pages have had several posts that drifted into spamminess before getting back on topic. That seems to be the cycle in this topic and it really should stop.

See, the thing with bashing bands, or anything, for that matter, is that if someone truly enjoys it, they couldn't care less about what the elitists think. I still have every single chat log, LM, I can cite times when you claimed to hate the group you're now in, where you need to justify your tastes.I love my Disturbed and Ra and Sabaton and Lordi, and I will continue to listen to them. I thank you for introducing me to 'em (again, with the exception of Sabaton)

so i want to bring up T.R.A.M. but i dunno if they really count here. rule of association?back-up post: do u guys remember The Yellow Sign? terrible, terrible name, but they played great progressive deathcore in the vein of The Contortionist. a bit heavier though. they got pretty brutal at times. if you don't know them i advise looking up the video for Exodus. great track. i think they gave away their post-break-up ep for free but i'm not sure. check 'em out bros

I'd like some tech death recommendations. Not the mainstream stuff everyone knows about, as I already know about them. :P

i feel like mainstream is the wrong word to describe tech deathanyway you've probably heard these but Beneath The Massacre (Incongruous was incredibly good), Son of Aurelius, Decapitated, Burning The Masses (Big Chocolate fronted them), Pestilence, and the new Job For A Cowboy tracks are pretty great as well Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

i feel like mainstream is the wrong word to describe tech deathanyway you've probably heard these but Beneath The Massacre (Incongruous was incredibly good), Son of Aurelius, Decapitated, Burning The Masses (Big Chocolate fronted them), Pestilence, and the new Job For A Cowboy tracks are pretty great as well

I didn't really know how else to describe what I meant haha. I mean the ones that are "well known" like:

Arsis?

I'll definitely check out those that I didn't hear of, thanks.I was hoping more for THEY'RE UNSIGNED SO YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF THEM bands Edited by HAZMAT

I'll definitely check out those that I didn't hear of, thanks.I was hoping more for THEY'RE UNSIGNED SO YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF THEM bands

the problem is bands like that are usually crazy boring. hence why they're unsigned. tech death is so over saturated with bands who are just like "hurr durr i cun play fast WEEDLY WEEDLY"do you know Arkaik? i totally forgot about themedit: BLAH also Fallujah though they have a ton of internet buzz so you probably know them but check 'em out if you haven't Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

All these bands stink; they're too metal for me.I kid, I kid.Is Dream Theater considered metal? I've heard a few samplings of their stuff, and they seem rather symphonic, but I don't know how heavy they get. If there's no growling I'll look into them further.

All these bands stink; they're too metal for me.I kid, I kid.Is Dream Theater considered metal? I've heard a few samplings of their stuff, and they seem rather symphonic, but I don't know how heavy they get. If there's no growling I'll look into them further.
DT is my favourite band. they're Progressive Metal, and no growling. Their tenth album has some deep, rough vocals from their drummer, but those are only for like 10 seconds and most people hate them. DT's as clean as metal gets. And no, they aren't symphonic - they only ever use a symphony on Octavarium (8th album).

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

DT is my favourite band. they're Progressive Metal, and no growling. Their tenth album has some deep, rough vocals from their drummer, but those are only for like 10 seconds and most people hate them. DT's as clean as metal gets. And no, they aren't symphonic - they only ever use a symphony on Octavarium (8th album).
What do you mean by clean? Like no swearing?

Clean as in almost no rough vocals, next to no uber heavy stuff, and no terrible subject matter. And yes, they say the F-word in only two songs.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

pretty sure he means like no screaming.also why does swearing even matter?
I used to really hate swearing. I grew up completely without it, and always associated it with angry punks and stuff. I still never swear, but I don't care about it any more. I listen to a ton of swearing music and everyone I know swears.That said, I think many new bands swear just for the sake of it - I'm not against it when it conveys anger or frustration or drives a point home, but a lot of new bands barely say anything else besides strings of curses. Edited by A Pleasant Shade Of Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

I used to really hate swearing. I grew up completely without it, and always associated it with angry punks and stuff. I still never swear, but I don't care about it any more. I listen to a ton of swearing music and everyone I know swears.That said, I think many new bands swear just for the sake of it - I'm not against it when it conveys anger or frustration or drives a point home, but a lot of new bands barely say anything else besides strings of curses.

i actually meant like in a more general sense, like why do people care about "naughty" words in the first place. why even have words that you're not supposed to say?also so this isn't totally off topic i suggest that you, Xinlo, go listen to I Am Abomination. They're metalcore which i know you've stated your distaste for previously but their vocals and general sound is highly melodic (no screams) as well as progressive. maybe you'll grow on -core just a bit. i'm just trying to get more people into stuff i happen to like
nhsYE.jpg

I'd like some tech death recommendations. Not the mainstream stuff everyone knows about, as I already know about them. :P

I second Arsis -- brilliant band. Also, Cryptopsy, (you have probabaly heard of them but I feel obliged anyway. [also stay away from The Unspoken King. It is bad by deathcore standards.]) Suffocation, (brutal technical death/kind of slam) Wormed, (brutal technical death/grindcore) Origin, (technical death) Brain Drill, (technical death/grindcore) Necrophagist, (technical/progressive death) Decapitated, (technical death) Nile, (brutal technical death) The Faceless, (technical death/deathcore) Decrepit Birth, (technical death) Cephalic Carnage, (technical death/grindcore) Defeated Sanity, (brutal technical death) Fleshgod Apocalypse (technical/symphonic death) and Neuraxis (technical death).Guttural Secrete are also pretty technical, but much more brutal and slam orientated. Aborted are also technical/brutal/grindcore/melodic depending on the album, so I am not sure how you will feel about those.I am interested to see what you like already, as I am a fan of technical death but find most of the genre to be full of people who think that playing fast equates to technicality.@Xinlo: If you want progressive I see no need to look further than Anubis Gate. :P Edited by -Sykura-

sykurafire.jpg