What masks did the Toa Mata/Nuva collect?

NCHaskew

I'm curious if there's any definitive canon answer to this.

Obviously, I've seen in the books and comics that the Toa Mata each collected six Great Kanohi on Mata Nui, but then MNOG shows them also using the Noble Kanohi. As far as I know, MNOG is only "semi-canon," and I don't believe any other stories show them using the Noble Kanohi, so is that part non-canon? 

Additionally, I know each Nuva mask were released in the six main Toa colors, and they reference getting them after losing their elemental powers. But it seems like the Bohrok-Kal cut them off and again, they only ever use their specific mask power, sharing them amongst each other. 

Then again, there's around 30-35 powers we never see Makuta use that we know he has, so there's precedence in Bionicle for forgetting to use all the powers in your arsenal.

Edited by NCHaskew

On 4/15/2023 at 2:23 AM, Zidonaro said:

Yup, each toa collected 5 great masks and 6 noble masks. 

The "consensus" is that these masks were brought from Metru Nui by the Turaga, but they were stolen by the Rahi.

I don't see how a team of toa metru could carry 42 masks (kanohi plus the noble kanohi) I'd guess Artakha and the Order of Mata Nui would have programmed them in pre-determined locations if the face camouflage on the great spirit robot was activated.

The Nuva Masks probably re-appeared in any random order of the old locations that the kanohi mata appeared in.
However why masks disappear if a suva is destroyed seemed very absurd rule in my opinion.

4 hours ago, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I don't see how a team of toa metru could carry 42 masks (kanohi plus the noble kanohi) 

Probably the same way they carried all of the Matoran to the island, via airship. It makes sense for them to have brought spares, since they no longer had a Great Furnace with which to mass-produce spare Kanohi if any Matoran lost theirs. 

3 hours ago, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

However why masks disappear if a suva is destroyed seemed very absurd rule in my opinion.

How so? Why would masks not be lost if the thing they're stored in is destroyed?

• Like 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

On 4/16/2023 at 11:06 AM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I However why masks disappear if a suva is destroyed seemed very absurd rule in my opinion.

That's because you don't know what a Suva is. It's a storage unit. The masks were inside the Suva. Put two and two together. 

#makeBionicleG1andHeroFactorysharethesameuniverse and #giveBionicleansHeroFactorytheirownliveactioncinematicuniverse 
GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:06 PM, (-Kopaka Toa of Ice-) said:

I don't see how a team of toa metru could carry 42 masks (kanohi plus the noble kanohi) I'd guess Artakha and the Order of Mata Nui would have programmed them in pre-determined locations if the face camouflage on the great spirit robot was activated.

The Nuva Masks probably re-appeared in any random order of the old locations that the kanohi mata appeared in.

It was explicitly established that the Toa Metru brought the masks - they left Metru Nui with airships and plenty of time to get them from the Great Temple. Order of Mata Nui only ever had the one member on Mata Nui who was slain before long, who was likely far more interested in either: making sure the Matoran weren't being culled by Makuta, and likely trying to keep eyes on Teridax. I don't think it would particularly make sense for them to be programmed in - Mata Nui wasn't made to be inhabited, nor was anyone supposed to spend significant time on it. I don't think they would have delayed the Toa Mata's travel to Kini-Nui in the event of Mata Nui shutting down.

Also, as Lorentz said, a Suva is a storage unit, which is why its condition would affect the status of Kanohi. If you're referring to Tahu's Kanohu Nuva and Vakama's noble masks that were destroyed - it only makes sense. Molten protodermis is gonna melt a few masks. It's a fair limitation in universe - a non-functioning Suva isn't gonna do anything for you.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!