Nutrition

Circle

I believe Skakdi are one of the exceptions in the MU, they eat through their mouths rather than their hands. There are other exceptions as well, but the major species all do the hand absorbing thing, as Vorex said.

I think Skakdi have this ability, but choose to eat with their mouths. Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I believe Skakdi are one of the exceptions in the MU, they eat through their mouths rather than their hands. There are other exceptions as well, but the major species all do the hand absorbing thing, as Vorex said.

I think Skakdi have this ability, but choose to eat with their mouths. Correct me if I'm wrong, however.
Yes, the Skakdi choose to eat with their mouths because it is seen as repulsive and frightening. Source. Species of Spherus Magna all eat and drink using their mouths, as was mentioned multiple times in the books set on Bara Magna.Further, absorbing energy directly from food is not actually necessary for most Matoran, as there were "feeding points" for Matoran to recharge (like batteries) yearly. Source.There is another interesting question that arises when we do not allow for eating and replace it instead with "energy absorption": How do the inhabitants of the Matoran Universe obtain nutrients for their biological components? I've posited that many of the necessary elements for compounds of nutrients come from the air, and there are simply many processes that make these basic molecules into the more complex organic compounds necessary. This may not allow for very much in the way of nutrients, but MU inhabitants are only about 15% organic, so they don't really need too much.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Yes, the Skakdi choose to eat with their mouths because it is seen as repulsive and frightening. Source. Species of Spherus Magna all eat and drink using their mouths, as was mentioned multiple times in the books set on Bara Magna.Further, absorbing energy directly from food is not actually necessary for most Matoran, as there were "feeding points" for Matoran to recharge (like batteries) yearly. Source.There is another interesting question that arises when we do not allow for eating and replace it instead with "energy absorption": How do the inhabitants of the Matoran Universe obtain nutrients for their biological components? I've posited that many of the necessary elements for compounds of nutrients come from the air, and there are simply many processes that make these basic molecules into the more complex organic compounds necessary. This may not allow for very much in the way of nutrients, but MU inhabitants are only about 15% organic, so they don't really need too much.~ BioGio
More than likely from the food. They would use the food to give nutrients to their organic parts, but get a yearly recharge to charge the rest.

What are we searching for? Are we searching for anything or just randomly surfing the internet? I did that once. I found this bionicle fan site called bzpower. Whoever made it had no decorating sense what so ever.

Wait, if a Matoran absorbs energy from a fruit, then the mass is not used up, so would an Agori or Skakdi be able to consume the leftover mass? And when an Agori or Skakdi eats, then is the energy-depleted mass removed from the system through waste?

As to energy and mass: They would be able to consume the mass, yes, but there wouldn't be any of the sources of (potential) energy, so presumably the mass would only be good for certain nutrients.As to waste: We can only assume so.

More than likely from the food. They would use the food to give nutrients to their organic parts, but get a yearly recharge to charge the rest.
But they don't eat as we understand it. At all. (Except when absolutely necessary.) Unless you're trying to imply that they don't exclusively absorb energy from the food, which would make more sense, although it seems that only energy is absorbed. To quote the old Life Processes Topic:

-Matoran do not eat. They absorb energy from organic food. This absorbing is done through the Matoran's hands.

~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Let's also recall that in Maze of Shadows, Nokama is given a root by the Karzahni plant to cure her of the Rahi Nui's venom. She puts it in her mouth and chews it, noticing a bitter taste. So the Matoran/Toa/Turaga and presumably all other species can eat with their mouths as well. Perhaps they absorb energy through their hands to charge their mechanical parts, but eat food to keep their organs working?

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Let's also recall that in Maze of Shadows, Nokama is given a root by the Karzahni plant to cure her of the Rahi Nui's venom. She puts it in her mouth and chews it, noticing a bitter taste. So the Matoran/Toa/Turaga and presumably all other species can eat with their mouths as well. Perhaps they absorb energy through their hands to charge their mechanical parts, but eat food to keep their organs working?

No, that certainly does not happen, since Matoran consider the actual ingestion of food via the mouth to be disgusting. ("Skakdi are known to chew and ingest their food, choosing to do so over the typical method of absorbing energy, as other inhabitants of the Matoran Universe view this act as repulsive." In other words, ingesting food is considered repulsive even though it's possible.) Obviously, there are plenty of disgusting things that are necessary to do--eating a root being one of them in BIONICLE and stuff like eating bugs in real life (to some)--, but the fact that there is a taboo implies they aren't done with the frequency that this hypothesis would suggest.~ BioGio

No, that certainly does not happen, since Matoran consider the actual ingestion of food via the mouth to be disgusting. ("Skakdi are known to chew and ingest their food, choosing to do so over the typical method of absorbing energy, as other inhabitants of the Matoran Universe view this act as repulsive." In other words, ingesting food is considered repulsive even though it's possible.) Obviously, there are plenty of disgusting things that are necessary to do--eating a root being one of them in BIONICLE and stuff like eating bugs in real life (to some)--, but the fact that there is a taboo implies they aren't done with the frequency that this hypothesis would suggest.~ BioGio
Yes. The only reason Nokama ingested it was because (I'd assume) eating it would cure her wound, while absorbing it might not be effective. Also, because she was in danger of dying because of her wound, just ingesting it would have been a quicker route for the root to help her.

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

Yes. The only reason Nokama ingested it was because (I'd assume) eating it would cure her wound, while absorbing it might not be effective. Also, because she was in danger of dying because of her wound, just ingesting it would have been a quicker route for the root to help her.
I'd disagree on that count T.B.O.C. Granted, consumption would probably be more energy efficient in comparison to the hand-absorption thingy (how does that even work?) that the majority of the MU do, but once the conversion of food matter (in this case the root) into absorbable energy/ molecular pieces/ bionicle-magic is completed, hand absorbtion will take in the converted energy (whatever it is) much faster than the ol' mouth route. Of what I've read and understood so far in the forums, hand absorption magically converts the food matter upon contact which is then absorbed by said hands, whereas the Mouth Route moves the food matter in the internal cavity of a Bionicle where we'd imagine an organ/contraption then breaks down the food into useable material/ energy. Now why Nokama decided to ingest the root, I don't know. :shrugs:
sherlock4.jpeg

I'd disagree on that count T.B.O.C. Granted, consumption would probably be more energy efficient in comparison to the hand-absorption thingy (how does that even work?) that the majority of the MU do, but once the conversion of food matter (in this case the root) into absorbable energy/ molecular pieces/ bionicle-magic is completed, hand absorbtion will take in the converted energy (whatever it is) much faster than the ol' mouth route. Of what I've read and understood so far in the forums, hand absorption magically converts the food matter upon contact which is then absorbed by said hands, whereas the Mouth Route moves the food matter in the internal cavity of a Bionicle where we'd imagine an organ/contraption then breaks down the food into useable material/ energy.Now why Nokama decided to ingest the root, I don't know. :shrugs:
Because the root is not intended for nutrition, it was meant as medicine. An M&M could contain as many calories as your medication, but it won't have the same effects.

aouROFb.png

I'd disagree on that count T.B.O.C. Granted, consumption would probably be more energy efficient in comparison to the hand-absorption thingy (how does that even work?) that the majority of the MU do, but once the conversion of food matter (in this case the root) into absorbable energy/ molecular pieces/ bionicle-magic is completed, hand absorbtion will take in the converted energy (whatever it is) much faster than the ol' mouth route. Of what I've read and understood so far in the forums, hand absorption magically converts the food matter upon contact which is then absorbed by said hands, whereas the Mouth Route moves the food matter in the internal cavity of a Bionicle where we'd imagine an organ/contraption then breaks down the food into useable material/ energy.Now why Nokama decided to ingest the root, I don't know. :shrugs:
Because the root is not intended for nutrition, it was meant as medicine. An M&M could contain as many calories as your medication, but it won't have the same effects.
Yes, but even medicine that is taken as a pill are broken down by our stomach before being absorbed into our bodies and I think it's no different for the root. Plus the fact that the root is neither a purified nor concentrated form of the medicine required, it would be even more necessary to break down the root so the body (in this case, Nokama's) can absorb the molecules that are the medicine.What I am trying to get at is if Nokama wanted quicker results, she should have absorbed the root via her hands instead of through ingestion.
sherlock4.jpeg

Yes, but even medicine that is taken as a pill are broken down by our stomach before being absorbed into our bodies and I think it's no different for the root. Plus the fact that the root is neither a purified nor concentrated form of the medicine required, it would be even more necessary to break down the root so the body (in this case, Nokama's) can absorb the molecules that are the medicine.What I am trying to get at is if Nokama wanted quicker results, she should have absorbed the root via her hands instead of through ingestion.
Yes, but the medicine molecules actually had to get into her body and repair certain parts. Thus the ingestion. Absorbing only gives you energy.

The rest of yall have answered this well, just two things:1) Yes, it is confirmed that at least the vast majority of Rahi also eat as we do, though there may be exceptions.2) I agree with fishers' above reasoning about the root. Matoran/etc. can, apparently, eat the way we do, but normally all they need is life energy.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 3 weeks later...

i will say that i think the absorbing the energy way of eating would be the best for when your on the go.Let's say your being chased by a ash bear while you were out picking bula berries. you could run from the ash bear while absorbing energy. hence food on the run. i just think that would be more effective.(WARNING OVERLY USED JOKE AHEAD) fast food get it lol. although i would use the regular method if i was at like a party or celebration. but other than that i would just do the energy absorb thing.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

i will say that i think the absorbing the energy way of eating would be the best for when your on the go.Let's say your being chased by a ash bear while you were out picking bula berries. you could run from the ash bear while absorbing energy. hence food on the run. i just think that would be more effective.(WARNING OVERLY USED JOKE AHEAD) fast food get it lol.although i would use the regular method if i was at like a party or celebration. but other than that i would just do the energy absorb thing.

I disagree. When humans use the "normal method of eating", we don't receive energy immediately. Our bodies have to break down (digest) the food we eat in order to use the energy stored within. Absorbing energy directly from an object would likely be faster.Also, the "normal eating" carries a cultural stigma. Let's say that you were at a party where all people present would disapprove of this method of eating. You wouldn't use it, would you?

Absorbing energy directly from an object would likely be faster.

Isn't that what he was saying? Better for on the go means faster.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Yes they do. Though mostly in unconventionally ways, they need the nutrition for their organic components.

Edited by Toa Lapaka

What are we searching for? Are we searching for anything or just randomly surfing the internet? I did that once. I found this bionicle fan site called bzpower. Whoever made it had no decorating sense what so ever.

I would say so, yes, they do need to consume food because they need nutrition to energize organic components , as they are biomechanical beings.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...