Progressive Rock

Xinlo

I was thinking of just calling this "Progressive music", but I think Prog Rock covers most of it 'cept the metal, and we have the Metal topic for that.So basically discuss the genre of Progressive Rock music. Some of the bands I listen to are Rush, Coheed & Cambria, Genesis, Yes, Transatlantic, and The Alan Parsons Project. Recently though I've been super hooked on Yes (as evidenced by my banner =P), and I've listened through at least 3/4 of their discography. My favourite albums from them are probably The Ladder and Fly From Here, but Fragile and 90125 are way up there too. Really, though, they've all been great.Also Rush's "2112" and Coheed's "Good Apollo, Volume One" are probably two of my all-time favourite albums. xinlo-small.gif

Edited by A Pleasant Shade Of Xinlo

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Alan Parsons Project and Rush are both amazing.My very favorite musical artist is Mike Oldfield. His musical style varies a lot (his latest album was orchestral, and a lot of his stuff could be considered New Age), but a lot of his stuff (particularly his debut and most famous album, Tubular Bells) would fall under prog rock.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If Muse counts, I love a lot of their music. I think they're one of the most creative popular bands of today. Their Exogenesis Symphony is brilliant.If Muse, for some odd reason, doesn't count, I haven't been exposed to many progressive rock bands. I've heard a couple songs by Rush, but that's about it.

Edited by Legolover-361

I really am. I loved what I've heard from Snakes & Arrows (haven't got around to listening through it completely yet), so it's a promising hint at the sound of the new one.I don't know what "classic" prog people think of newer stuff like Coheed, but they've hopefully got a new album coming out this year too. I'm really hoping it's better than their last.Also I'm not so sure Muse counts. They can be creative and somewhat proggish at times, but their compositions are still pretty simple... I dunno'.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

Also I'm not so sure Muse counts. They can be creative and somewhat proggish at times, but their compositions are still pretty simple... I dunno'.

"United States of Eurasia (+Collateral Damage)", "I Belong to You (+Mon Coeur S'Ouvre a Ta Voix)", and the Exogenesis Symphony don't sound too simplistic to me. Off the top of my head, though, I can't think of many older songs by Muse that aren't too simple -- "Butterflies and Hurricanes" and "Knights of Cydonia" probably come the closest from what little I remember.Does anyone have any good progressive rock songs to recommend? I'd like to see if the genre is one I would appreciate.

Does anyone have any good progressive rock songs to recommend? I'd like to see if the genre is one I would appreciate.

"2112" by Rush, and "Roundabout" by Yes.They're probably my favorite prog songs ever.

Definitely these; also some of my favourites. But in addition, I'd recommend "Dancing With The Moonlit Knight" by Genesis, as well as "Changes" and "Fly From Here" by Yes.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

So hooked on Genesis (mainly Phil Collins Genesis but I've been listening to Peter Gabriel Genesis too) right now, as I always have been for almost the last year, but I love a ton of prog, and Xin knows that.Just listened to Electric Light Orchestra's debut, which was quite progressive, as well as Alan Parson Project's Eye in the Sky. Aaaand the other day I listened to Peter Gabriel III.Just look at my profile and you'll see all the prog bands I've listened to. :PADD: And I've heard lots of prog bands thoroughly.

Edited by Tenebrae Invictus

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

CHILDREN OF THE 1990S, I AM DISAPPOINTED IN YOU!Why has there been no mention of Blue Oyster Cult? One could class them metal, but by modern terms they are closer to Prog Rock, especially for songs such as Veteran Of The Psychic Wars.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

One, no one talks about BOC as prog rock. Two, Wikipedia doesn't label them as prog. :PAlso, recommended songs from the well known bands, no doubt you've heard some:1. One More Red Nightmare by King Crimson2. Sleepless by King Crimson3. In the Cage by Genesis4. Duke's Travels by Genesis5. Parallels by Yes6. Yours is No Disgrace by Yes7. The Barbarian by Emerson, Lake & Palmer8. Karn Evil 9 by Emerson, Lake & Palmer9. Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull10. Sirius by Alan Parsons Project11. Mammagamma by Alan Parsons Project12. 2112 by Rush13. La Villa Strangiato by Rushand slightly less known, but still:14. Lady Fantasy by Camel15. Rhayader by Camel

Edited by Tenebrae Invictus

I UNLOCKED INVI'S PASSIONAnyway...Glad you finally got around to listening to Alan Parsons. They're pretty great; However, the drum beats are very simplistic and almost identical in every song. Oh well. Ammonia Avenue is my favourite album (so you should listen to it).Also I need to get around to listening to more of their stuff. I've heard Eye In The Sky, Ammonia Avenue, Eve, and Turn of A Friendly Card (also great BTW).

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

13 posts in before the first mention of Jethro Tull? Friends, I am disappointed.Speaking of which, I'm rather excited for Ian Anderson's sequel to Thick As a Brick, to be released on April 2nd (April 3rd, here in the States). I've heard a little bit of it, and it looks to be a worthy successor to the original.On the subject of bands I listen to, it's a bit of a laundry list - Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP, Rush, King Crimson, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic, Martin Barre, Ian Anderson, Peter Gabriel, Mike Oldfield, Camel, Pink Floyd (you know they count), and pretty much anything else that comes up.As a composer, I tend to lean towards things that draw a lot of influence from progressive rock - when a piece does get rather more rocky, there's usually something odd like a string orchestra or a trombone thrown in there.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Never really got into Alan Parson's Project for some reason, was always a little too off-beat for my tastes.Also for the record, Emerson Lake and Palmer's "Tarkus" is the most hilariously awesome thing ever. Because it's an armadillo tank.

Tarkus is pretty great. My favorite ELP song at the moment is Knife Edge, though.Regarding Jethro Tull, they've got about 30 studio albums out, ranging from blues (This Was) to guitar-driven rock with a metallic tang (Crest of a Knave), with folk-rock (Songs From the Wood, Stormwatch, Heavy Horses) and, of course, progressive rock (Thick As a Brick, A Passion Play, War Child) thrown in between.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm usually good with any form of music, but I have to say that this particular genre certainly catches my attention more than others.I honestly believe I will never get tired my absolute favorite band, Porcupine Tree. Albeit not one of the more notable ones, PT has put out a number of albums with songs that I hardly see matched in design and feel. Steven Wilson is an absolute genius when it comes to this type of orchestration. I have every one of their CDs (or at least my brother does, but he lets me use them) and I honestly can not find a song of theirs that I don't like.I'm glad to see that there are a few here who do listen to them as well, they deserve every bit of credit to be given.And of course I could list all the other prog bands I listen to, but for one thing most of the good ones have already been said, and as another I am incredibly forgetful and would feel bad to leave one out. :dozingoff:

13 posts in before the first mention of Jethro Tull? Friends, I am disappointed.

I'm guessing that was my post that mentioned it.

Tarkus is pretty great. My favorite ELP song at the moment is Knife Edge, though.Regarding Jethro Tull, they've got about 30 studio albums out, ranging from blues (This Was) to guitar-driven rock with a metallic tang (Crest of a Knave), with folk-rock (Songs From the Wood, Stormwatch, Heavy Horses) and, of course, progressive rock (Thick As a Brick, A Passion Play, War Child) thrown in between.

Eh, Tarkus is decent, but the album Tarkus sucks. The other three of the first four albums are far better.And CAAAAAAN YOU LIVE ON A KNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDGE?

KING CRIMSON KING CRIMSON.I loooooove listening to their old stuff then listening to newer stuff and just hearing how their sound has changed over the decades.

Heck yeah. Greg Lake, John Wetton and 80s Adrian Belew King Crimson are the best incarnations and so different. Jazzy, to avant garde and proto metal, and then to New Wave. It's all great.

One of my favorite Alan Parsons songs is their cover of You're the Voice. I'd heard it before, but I never really listened to it until I heard it at an Obama rally in 2008. It's also fairly rare, appearing on only one of their albums, and unlisted at that.

Edited by Ortographobia

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I honestly don't have a problem with the album Tarkus as a whole, but yeah, ELP kind of went downhill after their first four albums.My favorite version of Knife Edge is from a live concert - don't know when or where - and it's a couple of minutes longer than the studio version. It's kind of funny, actually, because Emerson starts goofing around halfway through and very nearly tips his keyboard over.What's everybody's opinion on the Pink Floyd song Atom Heart Mother? I know fans in general don't like it, and even the members of the band seem to have a harsh opinion of it at this point, but I'm rather fond of it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I honestly don't have a problem with the album Tarkus as a whole, but yeah, ELP kind of went downhill after their first four albums.My favorite version of Knife Edge is from a live concert - don't know when or where - and it's a couple of minutes longer than the studio version. It's kind of funny, actually, because Emerson starts goofing around halfway through and very nearly tips his keyboard over.What's everybody's opinion on the Pink Floyd song Atom Heart Mother? I know fans in general don't like it, and even the members of the band seem to have a harsh opinion of it at this point, but I'm rather fond of it.

I watched a live video of Take a Pebble, and I thought it was goofy, yet pretentious that at the end of Greg Lake's folky ditty in the middle of the song, Keith Emerson came up to the mic with a quarter and ended the ditty with a perfect flick of a quarter/British currency equivalent.And for AHM, I haven't heard it, but I want to, since I heard it was one of their most progressive moments. Pink Floyd hasn't really been known for being very progressive.

Well, it was acts like ELP that Tull set out to parody when they made Thick as a Brick, so pretentiousness from Keith Emerson isn't really a shocker.AHM is a very interesting piece of music, but yeah, it's a big departure from Pink Floyd's usual stuff, as it's rather more dominated by brass than anything resembling what the members of Pink Floyd actually play.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I wish there was a prog rock song I could play in full. Maybe when I start learning bass I'll try out some Yes... they sound challenging, so it'd probably be a good place to start. I didn't really see much of a difference from their other stuff on Signals, Invi. Rush is Rush (at least to me).

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

...So I guess I'm the only person here who hates Rush. Woo.Also LL361, I recommend King Crimson's '21st Century Schizoid Man' as a good starting point. It's accessible.

That, or In the Wake of Poseidon. That's a nice, soft ballad.Here, accessibility list:1. Elephant Talk by King Crimson2. Turn It On Again by Genesis (Yeah, it's sorta pop, but there's almost no chorus and it's in 13/4)3. Siberian Khatru by Yes4. The Sheriff by Emerson, Lake & Palmeroh, and who could forget5. Heat of the Moment by Asia (that one's pretty much pop too but it had prog elements as well, AND they were made a prog rockers)

I wish there was a prog rock song I could play in full. Maybe when I start learning bass I'll try out some Yes... they sound challenging, so it'd probably be a good place to start.I didn't really see much of a difference from their other stuff on Signals, Invi. Rush is Rush (at least to me).

xinlo-small.gif

Please learn Rounabout and/or Heart of the Sunrise, as I can do the drums for both.I also have the drumming book for 2112, but haven't learned much other than the Overture.
jlovfkk.jpg

I wish there was a prog rock song I could play in full. Maybe when I start learning bass I'll try out some Yes... they sound challenging, so it'd probably be a good place to start.I didn't really see much of a difference from their other stuff on Signals, Invi. Rush is Rush (at least to me).

xinlo-small.gif

Please learn Rounabout and/or Heart of the Sunrise, as I can do the drums for both.I also have the drumming book for 2112, but haven't learned much other than the Overture.

Haha, I actually had Runabout in mind when I said that.

:P I just need to actually get a bass somehow, first. I'm already decently confident in my skill to play it.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg

2. Turn It On Again by Genesis (Yeah, it's sorta pop, but there's almost no chorus and it's in 13/4)[...]5. Heat of the Moment by Asia (that one's pretty much pop too but it had prog elements as well, AND they were made a prog rockers)

I find it really hard to believe those two songs are progressive rock. :PI'm currently in the middle of "Siberian Khatru" by Yes. From what little I've heard of progressive rock thus far, I think it's an acquired taste; you have to get used to all the changes in tempo and rhythm and melody and time signature. "Siberian Khatru" is a good one, though. Edited by Legolover-361

2. Turn It On Again by Genesis (Yeah, it's sorta pop, but there's almost no chorus and it's in 13/4)[...]5. Heat of the Moment by Asia (that one's pretty much pop too but it had prog elements as well, AND they were made a prog rockers)

I find it really hard to believe those two songs are progressive rock. :P
They aren't so much, because they were transitioning to pop... well Asia already was, but since they were a supergroup of progressive rock people they had some elements of it.Genesis was sort of progressive at that point but it was pretty clear they were changing.And as for acquired taste - without a doubt it does. I listened to Foxtrot by Genesis last year and I thought it was the strangest album ever. I had never heard anything like it. But I liked it and gave the songs some more listens. It was really hard to grasp, because one moment you'd have an energetic song, and it'd also get quiet, and vice versa. But I liked it enough that here I am, with knowledge of lots of prog rock. Edited by Tenebrae Invictus

Yes, that's generally how it goes. Prog's a bit of a slippery slope, really - I started with Thick As a Brick, happened, by chance, to listen to ELP's Toccata a few months later, and then King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King just sort of sealed the deal, so that when I found myself accidentally listening to Transatlantic's Whirlwind, I had no objections....Oh, all right, my fondness for Bach helped. Baroque era music was like Prog 0.5, anyway.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I was totally into thrash metal when I found prog. Still am, but prog has been a giant in my tastes too.And you can see baroque's influence in Steve Hackett's guitar solo song "Horizons", on the Genesis album... hey what do you know, Foxtrot. Starts out with a suite by Bach, and then changes it up.

Most prog is definitely an aquired taste. It took me a while to digest the complex arrangements, time signatures, and compositions. It's very easy to just give up after discovering that you just can't get into an album, but if you keep listening to it, it gets into your skin, and then you crave more. Once you like one prog album, you'll begin to like more; and once you do, your brain will be beat in with awesome complexities.My first prog album was... "Good Apollo... Volume One" by Coheed & Cambria. I didn't know what progressive rock was until I discovered Dream Theater (who are Progressive Metal), and even then it's been only within this last year that I've really gotten into the rock side. I wasn't totally thrilled with Genesis (I'm still not), but I haven't listened to much. I love Foxtrot though. Then Rush, and Yes, and APP... it just gets better.

xinlo-small.gif

E8c8QpP.jpg