Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Hm... the torso needs work. Right now, it's completely immobile, which doesn't look natural - on the other walking animations (not to mention real life), there's a bit of twist to the torso when the left arm comes forward. Right now, the sprite looks like it's trying to march, and not doing it too well. :P

And that's why I need a spriter, I believe. That there is just an edit of a walking sprite found on the Rayg sheet. Making new poses and stuff takes time, so for every sprite that means less work done on the programming side.

Is it a female Toa?

That would be correct.

Just a random thought- could six Toa of different elements, firing on the same target, create a Protodermis Seal around it?

Unless I actually add some form of story mission where it would be appropriate to use, you won't see any kind of Toa Seal in the game. If we ignore the additional code work it would entail, I'd still be programming an effect that simply won't see any use. Six elements focused on one character will likely kill the character too fast to even bother with sealing them. Alternately, they get sealed in a powered-up version of Ice that never breaks, thus killing the character still. Unless they get unsealed by the same six elements, in which case we have a dilemma: Wait for that to happen (leaving one player immobilized and bored) or respawn them as if dead (thus making sealing/unsealing moot).Aaand if I add a timer to the seal, then it's just Ice again.EDIT:femtoa_walk_animated.gifSome sprite work has been done, at least.

Sprite does need work, but I'm not comfortable with trying to improve it; I have no expirience with Rayg.

A Toa Seal would be fun to use, but it would be no good in pvp (player vs player). A story mode would be epic, but I think we agreed to think on that later. However, it would be ideal for bossing, since bosses could require such tactics and timing. Be hard, but then bosses are meant to be hard. Imagine doing that on an airborne boss with gravity as one of the elements.

But it would be nice to see some bosses. Perhaps we could draw some from the story and some from our own imaginations...

That could be scary

Sprite does need work, but I'm not comfortable with trying to improve it; I have no expirience with Rayg.

Neither did I when I started work on this game. I just had to start doing sprites because where else would I get the extra stuff I need? :P

A Toa Seal would be fun to use, but it would be no good in pvp (player vs player). A story mode would be epic, but I think we agreed to think on that later. However, it would be ideal for bossing, since bosses could require such tactics and timing. Be hard, but then bosses are meant to be hard. Imagine doing that on an airborne boss with gravity as one of the elements.

Applying a proper Toa seal would result in an unbreakable, crystalline cocoon. That's an "instant kill" on the boss, or else just an extra strong version of ice. The effect would be to either make the boss a sitting duck, or to not have much of an effect at all compared to what you do with each element already.

But it would be nice to see some bosses. Perhaps we could draw some from the story and some from our own imaginations...That could be scary

I got plenty of enemies and bosses listed in my design documents already, but since I'm focusing on PvP and I'm having trouble jamming more and more stuff into the same game I don't think it would be a good idea to start discussing new bosses now. Note how Teridax is still not a boss encounter, and how Bohrok are still not in-game, and how even basic things like shields are not functional. This is due to me essentially swamping myself with all kinds of work at once.

Since you might not be able to work on this for a while, would you consider releasing the source and assets for the game, so the fans can contribute to it?

Please don't say "I'd like to clean it up first," because then it usually doesn't get done, the project dies, and nobody is able to continue it.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Since you might not be able to work on this for a while, would you consider releasing the source and assets for the game, so the fans can contribute to it?

I am able to work on it whenever and however I like. The reason why everything is going so slow is that this is essentially a solo project. Coding goes fine, for the most part, but when I lack sprites and sounds and other things that I'd rather just have from the get-go things get slow. I can't make shields without proper blocking animations, for example, which I had to sit down and make from modified punching sprites. I still need "hurt" animations for Rahkshi and people hitting the ground face-first. Preferably I'd also have an animation for getting back up. I started programming without having these sprites, and now I'm limited in how I can add them because my code is too messy.

Please don't say "I'd like to clean it up first," because then it usually doesn't get done, the project dies, and nobody is able to continue it.

You make it sound like I'm not going to continue myself, which I am. ;) School and a funeral and Christmas times slows down even people who'd otherwise live in front of their computer.I can throw you the source, but what are you going to do with it, really? Parts of it are so bad that I should feel ashamed at the way they are written, and if you start adding on to it chances are it'll be scrapped once I get around to actually rewriting the vital parts.But yeah, OK. Here is the source. I have not included the music, since you already have that from the regular download. Also of note is that the INI DLL might get replaced with an extension or simply custom file writing later, and that you need to copy the SuperSound files into your Game Maker 8 'extensions' folder.I have not included any extra sprites or graphics or sound effects. None of my test files for networking, lighting and similar are in. This is the base BF file as it was just after the previous demo release. You are free to edit it as you see fit, but please don't use this as a copy/paste resource for code and graphics.

So I went ahead and started editing some torso twist into the female Toa walking sprite. So far, I'm on the third frame or so - this is an easy edit, but I'm really quite rusty. I'll post a sheet when I'm through.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

So I went ahead and started editing some torso twist into the female Toa walking sprite. So far, I'm on the third frame or so - this is an easy edit, but I'm really quite rusty. I'll post a sheet when I'm through.

Holy cripes, I get sprites done for me? :lol:

I was just playing the game, I turned off enemy bots an activated AI Enimies so when I played Ta-Koro, it would just be me and the Toa Mata. I was using Tahu Nuva. I wipedo ut all except one: Tahu Mata. It was Tahu Vs. Tahu. Well, Tahu Mata Vs. Tahu Nuva. Tahu Mata killed me 5 times, but I the end I won. At first, I threw Gali into the lava. I really love that in the Ta-Koro level, you can fight the Toa Mata. :)

virux4.5-500.jpg

I was just playing the game, I turned off enemy bots an activated AI Enimies so when I played Ta-Koro, it would just be me and the Toa Mata. I was using Tahu Nuva. I wipedo ut all except one: Tahu Mata. It was Tahu Vs. Tahu. Well, Tahu Mata Vs. Tahu Nuva. Tahu Mata killed me 5 times, but I the end I won. At first, I threw Gali into the lava. I really love that in the Ta-Koro level, you can fight the Toa Mata. :)

In my experience, the first that happens is usually that Tahu fireballs 2 or 3 of his teammembers, then starts tripping them over with Hau. I should really implement that friendly-fire toggle I've been planning.

hang on, Katuko. Are you saying that you spend most of your time spriting? I think I'll try and get acquainted with Rayg.

Nah, I just need certain sprites, which I've had to make myself. Most of the time I neither sprite or program, I just procrastinate. ;)

In my experience, the first that happens is usually that Tahu fireballs 2 or 3 of his teammembers, then starts tripping them over with Hau. I should really implement that friendly-fire toggle I've been planning.

For me, the Toa don't attack each other. They only fight me.

virux4.5-500.jpg

Ah, yes, that part works. They will only attempt to kill enemies. However, they can still hurt each other, so if you (for example) run away from Tahu and Onua gets in between, then Onua might very well get blown up by a fireball that Tahu aimed for you. :) Edited by Katuko

Ah, yes, that part works. They will only attempt to kill enemies. However, they can still hurt each other, so if you (for example) run away from Tahu and Onua gets in between, then Onua might very well get blown up by a fireball that Tahu aimed for you. :)

How canonical. Toa Mata fighting each other when they aren't supposed to.

No download for this yet, but here is some progress:Light beam revision:bf_light_beam1.jpgbf_light_beam2.jpg

• [*]Slightly wider beam.[*]Particle effects.[*]Damage upgraded from ELM ATK divided by 5 to divided by 1.5. The former value was a typo on my part.

Black Lightning balance revision: Beyond half its length, the lightning loses potential. So from its origin to about halfway down the bolt, it does max damage. Beyond that, it drops off. It will no longer to full damage who so much touches the glow at the tip. Now they will take max 10-20 damage instead.Item changes:

• [*]Equipped items take less damage from attacks than before. This will be especially notable with armor, which no longer has the durability of tissue paper.[*]Using your weapon for normal attacks no longer wears it down. Only special attacks (fire, poison, life steal) and enemy damage will hurt your weapon.[*]Disintegration has a chance of doing increased item damage, but it will no longer destroy items instantly.

Edited by Katuko

That's just so awesome.

Awesome.

All of it.

Awesome I say!

The revisions to the light beam attack are looking goooooood, and I can't wait to try out the new items now that they've been improved a bit. Who knows, I might actually start wearing armor. :P

and dat telekinesis. right there. i want.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Oh, and I heard that you like new ways to kill or at least severely maim people.bf_psionics_test1.jpgLuckily mom can't catch you running with scissors when you never actually touch them.

You clearly haven't met my mom.

I'm guessing that's Psyonics? if so, than finally, something worthy of actually using for that element.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

That is indeed Psionics in action. It's the Emanate ability, which is a burst-fire thing. You click the button, and any weapons in a radius around you gets lifted. They will then swivel around and deal damage to those they touch. This ability costs a (very) slight amount of EP per weapon over time as well. The heightened EP regen of Psionics Toa means that you can lift 1 to 6 weapons before you feel any drain, depending on your stats.Bringing a pack of throwing knives and then lifting them all at once gives you a whirling cloud of death, but naturally the cost of this will limit how long it lasts. If you run out of EP, all weapons drop. If not, they will drop after at most 1 minute, requiring you to re-activate the ability.The Jutlin can still destroy floating weapons, and some other things (such as a Hau shield or an explosion) will knock them down. Uninterrupted, however, they can easily slice people apart.Oh, and I tried bringing about 200 knives and lifting them all. LAG FEST OH YEAH. 100 worked fine, though. Fun fact: I added the EP-per-second cost only after I realized that a Psionic with 100 knives standing on the spawn point was impossible to get past. Imagine a giant Rama swarm, except with more glowing knife in your face.bf_psionics_test3.jpg

Edited by Katuko

You are making me very much want a new update.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

Oooh, Psionics looks nice.Anyways, I'm still working on the female Toa walk sprite. I was interrupted by Christmas midway through, and have been using my iPad for most of my business since then, so I haven't gotten on the computer much since I started. I'm about done, though, so the next time I use my computer, I should be able to finish it.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

This looks much better in motion, but it's just a basic effect anyways. A rather boring element at the time being due to no unique functions, but still: here's a Toa of Sonics using his new ability.bf_sonics_test_small.jpgPrimary fires a wave which deals normal damage and reduces armor a bit a extra upon hit. Secondary fires a quicker shot with less damage, but it penetrates targets and ignores armor entirely.I was working a bit on Plant Life as well to complete the set, but I ran into some trouble with vine animation again. I'm not entirely sure what niche I want PL to fill either. I'm thinking something in-between Stone and Ice, with a primary vine attack that has slight start-up lag but hits pretty well at short range (with some knockback) and a secondary that crawls along the floor and tangles the opponent for a brief slow effect.But yeah, still working on graphics and stuff for that. I'm trying to decide which Rahkshi power to tackle next.

Woah! All these screenshots just make me happy!

//Pretty images make fans happy, I know that. I'll try to post more visuals such as sprites and WIP screenshots so you guys know what to expect from future updates. :)

Are you going to do Rahkshi of Weather Control?

//Maybe, but not until I've more done with the stuff I've already listed. Edited by Katuko

What will telekinesis do? (the mask, that is)

It'll lift things. Exactly how remains to be seen, but I got some possible mechanics on paper.

And when's the next update?

You just got an update after about two or three months and you're asking about the next already? :P

Can't wait to play, getting on when I get home.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

d1O9dXQ.png

Hopefully you'll get an error-free version. Apparently I forgot to turn off Show Error Messages when I first uploaded this. It's supposed to only write to the log in order to not interrupt gameplay with things I haven't gotten around to fix yet.

It just froze up for no reason, I was a toa of Sonics, tanma miru, 7,7,6,7,7 with an ice sword from a dead toa, in mangia.

It said that it stopped responding.

Edited by rahkshi guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk

d1O9dXQ.png

Was I supposed to delete my Bionicle Fighter program before I downloaded the new one? The extraction's not working.

It works for me, and I have both.

throwing daggers are now even better! I had a menacing whirlwind of death going for like a minute! than they all dropped into the lava :(.

are there more powers added? or just the ones you mentioned?

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

The MediaFire link might be down at the moment. Dropbox should work. I've had to reupload the update a few times, and I the forum post editing is messed up enough to nuke my topic half the time I try.Here, try these:MediaFireDropboxAnd the update list, since that too is gone.New in this version:- Added Toa of Sonics primary power: Sound wave. A simple projectile attack which deals some extra damage to armor.- Added Toa of Sonics secondary power: Supersonic. A quick wave of energy that passes through targets and ignores armor.- Added Toa of Psionics Emanate ability: Telekinesis. Lift dropped weapons and gain them as familiars for a limited time.- Spawn points will now normalize temperature as well as refilling HP and EP.Bug fixes and engine tweaks:- Reworked item HP mechanics. Taking damage now has less of an effect on equipped items. Using a weapon normally will no longer cause it to break.- Reduced Nuva Armor damage reduction from 50% to 35%.- Armor now uses a dexterity penalty rather than costing a point to equip.- Rebalanced Toa of Light primary attack. Deal more damage and travel more quickly. Some new particle effects have been added. As a purely visual change, the attack now melts enemies rather than burning them as well.- Disintegration beams have a chance of causing extra item damage rather than instantly destroying them.- The Staff of Disintegration now has a proper sprite rather than being just a stick.