Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

air is fun. well, more fun. well done. still laggy, but you know that... good job!

Edited by ~Shockwave~

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

When are you expecting to get the multiplayer in?

Toa Wolf

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back, it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig. _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Heh, I'm so torn on multiplayer. Most everything in this game is geared towards a multiplayer environment, while multiplayer is such a thing that can't be added till late in the process, at this point. On one hand, programming everything from scratch with multiplayer in mind lends itself well to a multiplayer engine, but on the other, I need to have all the powers and numbers and such ready before I dare set out on it. Otherwise we're going to hit the obstacle I have already: some mechanics are very hard to add in hindsight.A few pages back I posted a multiplayer test file, though it's for a very basic top-down shooter environment. Still, it works decently on LAN, so actually programming multiplayer shouldn't be a problem in the end. It's just that I need everything set firs.As for lag, and bugs , those are being fixed sooner or later too. I am planning to devote this next update to engine optimization and new mechanics, which means that it might take a long time. Hopefully it will be worth it, though. If all goes well, you will then get blocking and flight and improved mechanics everywhere.I'll keep you posted as I go.

I don't have any lag at all. I wonder where yours comes from...

The fact that my computer needs to be replaced...

ah. better get to replacing it then.

I'm also very broke, and prom is coming up. not a priority at the moment.

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Where is the link to download the update?
Same as the regular download link. I edit in a new URL for each release. You can also find the link on the previous page, where I announced the update.I also link to my game on my off-site blog, which I unfortunately can't link you directly due to BZP's rule about sites with forums or comment sections. You may PM me if you want a link there. As far as BIONICLE Fighter goes, though, this forum thread is definitely the most active.

small question, Katuko: what are the circumstances that lead up to the red Exo-Toa?

Defeat the three normal exos. one is inside the big sphere thing, which you need a key to get in. the other two are on either side of it. the key may be picked up by a computer player.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Are you working on the other mask powers?
Yes and no. I was planning to work on a new base engine now, in order to fix a lot of the troubles I'm having with the current one. Afterwards I will port all the projectiles and other powers over to that new engine. In the meantime, I might pop out a few new powers here and there.
I got an Idea for the mask power for the akaku: see thru tunnel walls, secret passeges and that sphere thingy by hitting shift-usefulness: avoid tunnel ambushes and find secret passages with rare powerups.
Duly noted. The Akaku will indeed let you see through fade-out walls and similar, I'm just trying to figure how best to implement it in a useful way. Maybe I could have the wall-peeks as a passive power and the ability to move the camera a distance away from yourself as a triggered scope ability.

small question, Katuko: what are the circumstances that lead up to the red Exo-Toa?

Defeat the three normal exos. one is inside the big sphere thing, which you need a key to get in. the other two are on either side of it. the key may be picked up by a computer player.

Shockwave is right on the money, the boss appears after the other Exo-Toa are gone. I realize that this can be a bit confusing, because sometimes you just destroy one and then AI gets the other two, or maybe a bot grabs the Keystone and so you can't find it until much later.I'll make the Keystone more visible when picked up in future versions, and maybe require the user to pull a switch or similar inside the Codrex after the regular Exo-Toa are gone.

"Hey, that NPC has a keystone! murder it!"
scene_keystone_threat.pngJokes aside, I will add something like a swirly effect around the one carrying the Keystone so that situations like the above does not happen. :P Edited by Katuko

"Hey, that NPC has a keystone! murder it!"
scene_keystone_threat.pngJokes aside, I will add something like a swirly effect around the one carrying the Keystone so that situations like the above does not happen. :P

wait...wouldn't you want to gut NPCs regardless if they have the keystone or not?

Previously known as Aiwendil.

Just played the updated version last night. It's really cool to watch the numbers pop up when I hit someone. I love the new powers for Air and Water, been waiting on those. The only thing I didn't like is that the earth spew ability is gone, do you think it can be a secondary power in case I don't like the Earth chunk?

Oh, and when you get the Kadin's power up, do you think you could have it's power unlocked through air katana + miru + air element = flight? Like Lewa Nuva?

new_sig_legacy_2.png

wait...wouldn't you want to gut NPCs regardless if they have the keystone or not?

Yes, yes you would. Except if you're low on health, perhaps, or if there are too many opponents. Then it might be best to know exactly who has the Keystone, so you know who to target.

The only thing I didn't like is that the earth spew ability is gone, do you think it can be a secondary power in case I don't like the Earth chunk?

I've considered making it available while in mid-air since the quake power won't work there, but I might also add it in as an alternate attack in my upcoming "new and improved" engine.The thing is that the attack was just another mindless spray-n-pray attack, and it was similar to iron in graphics. Thus, I made it more unique.

Oh, and when you get the Kadin's power up, do you think you could have it's power unlocked through air katana + miru + air element = flight? Like Lewa Nuva?

The reworked Miru will let you glide more properly, so that might be enough to emulate Lewa. I could of course add a clause to Air and/or Gravity Toa, which would let them move up and down while levitating by expending extra EP.Regarding the upcoming engine rework: I will be splitting mask powers off from the EP bar. They will instead use their own "mask power" bar, which will take the place of the current air bar. Air will only be shown while it's actually relevant: While swimming or getting choked by other attacks.Attacks might gain some new depth, by allowing you to briefly charge some of them. A fireball, for example, could be quickly thrown like now, but it would no longer have knockback. It could instead be charged for some knockback, and even further for increased damage (to what it was pre-nerf, I suppose). I'm also thinking of letting the arrow keys determine the type of attack. If you are moving, you toss the quick version. If you are standing still, you can charge it. If you press down, you cause the fire to blast near yourself, and if you press up the fireball gets lobbed instead of flying straight. Would be rather simple to implement, surprisingly enough, and might lend some new versatility to otherwise limited powers.Shields and blocking: Once implemented, you can defend yourself with a shield, your weapon, or your bare hands. Naturally, actual shields will be best at blocking. They will eliminate all damage that does not break their threshold. If an attack does break said threshold, you will be forced out of block. During this very short period of time, you can be hit normally. Finally, if an attack overwhelms your defense or strikes during the block-break stagger, you may get knocked down. otherwise the most that can happen is you getting pushed lightly backwards.By default, shields would have 100% Damage Reduction from the front while active. Weapons would have about 75%. Bare hands would get something like 30%. Moving while blocking would be possible (such as stepping backwards away from a foe), but would lower the stagger threshold.Most masks would be slightly reworked, but the Hau would need to accommodate for shields as a method of protection. The Hau would let you block perfectly (no stagger chance) even while on the move, so long as it is active. It will keep projectiles and explosions from even reaching you. Just as it is activated, it would have a short "burst" of energy, which reflects projectiles and push back enemies that happen to connect with melee at that moment. This is in contrast to the current functionality, where the mask is either useless (get attacked constantly by something you cannot run away from) or overpowered (run into someone with it active and they get knocked into the air foreverrrr).The mask would auto-activate at a low level while blocking for no cost. This would halt mask recharge for as long as you are blocking, however.New engine flight: Reworked. Miru gets changed into gliding. Gliding lets you cancel the effect of gravity and slow your fall, hover in midair, cover a great horizontal distance before landing and also greatly extend your vertical jumps. Essentially, you would not be flying (couldn't jump to the top of the Karda Nui pillar, for example), but you could achieve a similar effect.The Kadin would let you achieve full-fledged flight, at the cost of being unable to stop your motion like the Miru does. Upon activation, it gives a burst of speed. Great for covering distance quickly and getting up high, but bad for precision landings and dodging attacks in short bursts.Rahkshi flight will still be at-will at no cost, but it will use the mask activation button. This will put the Rahkshi into flight mode, where it will immediately be able to glide like a Miru user. Once flight mode is fully engaged, the Rahkshi can take off at great speed with good control, like a mix of Miru and Kadin.In all instances, levitation and flight will let you use melee attacks and your powers, but some may be a bit restricted depending on how game balance works out. You would also be unable to block while flying.Melee attacks: New types of animation would be available. Axes will no longer be used for stabbing, as one example, and gun-type weapons would get their own pose and functionality. Staffs, too. You would be able to use a few different attacks per weapon, such as swords having both stabbing and slashing in different directions. Slashing would naturally have a slightly bigger range, while stabs would be usable while blocking at the cost of reducing block efficiency.Finally, I will take care in the new engine to make actual game modes available. Unlike the current engine (which started off as just a character customization test) there will be a way to actually win a match. I will add "infinite free-for-all" (the way it is now) as an option for those who still want that, of course. :)Then there is multiplayer, which I have been experimenting with and might just try to implement in this engine right away. I probably should. Even if it's bare-bones multiplayer in a separate mode it's still multiplayer, right?Reworking and implementing so many new things will take a while, but since I have a lot of functionality and attacks and such already made this shouldn't be all that hard. I need some more sprites and stuff before I make this new engine, but after that it's go time.I will still work on some new attack graphics and such for the current engine, so even though I'm reworking stuff behind the scenes you might still get a few more updates before it happens.Oh, and I'll of course post screenshots of progress and answer any questions you may have in the meantime. ;)

So I just downloaded the latest update, and was testing out the new Earth powers. After a while, though, I got bored and loaded up the Pohatu Mata character file, just to see how he played....Well, long story short, I ended up playing around with the stats... turns out that if you have an Element stat of one and a Vitality of five, you can have nine Strength, nine Dexterity, and nine Mind. Take one of those Mind points away and add in Earth Claws, and suddenly you can deal upwards of a hundred damage per strike. On armored foes. While still being able to sprint around the map like nobody's business and outrun anyone short of a Kakama user. Not to mention that you can still choose Earth as your element, and consequently get a boost to your Strength stat whenever you're on the ground.Then I added a Kakama... ^.^'

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Take one of those Mind points away and add in Earth Claws, and suddenly you can deal upwards of a hundred damage per strike. On armored foes.

The extra melee damage was originally added to make up for the Earth Claws' short range. They also have increased attack speed, so yeah.Oh, and if you already have high Dex you don't want a Kakama with the Earth Claws... you want the Pakari. :lol:Which, incidentally, also happens to increase Quake Breaker damage to godly overpowered levels, and since I removed the weapon wear on normal strikes... Onua's weapons are currently the most powerful melee weapons in the game. Grab a Quake Breaker, a Pakari and high strength/mind, then watch the Exo-Pyro die before it even knows what struck it.

Take one of those Mind points away and add in Earth Claws, and suddenly you can deal upwards of a hundred damage per strike. On armored foes.

The extra melee damage was originally added to make up for the Earth Claws' short range. They also have increased attack speed, so yeah.Oh, and if you already have high Dex you don't want a Kakama with the Earth Claws... you want the Pakari. :lol:
Or the Huna. ;) Not that subtlety really comes to mind.

Which, incidentally, also happens to increase Quake Breaker damage to godly overpowered levels, and since I removed the weapon wear on normal strikes... Onua's weapons are currently the most powerful melee weapons in the game. Grab a Quake Breaker, a Pakari and high strength/mind, then watch the Exo-Pyro die before it even knows what struck it.

Shush, don't tell them all my secrets...I mean waitwhat hey look a distraction. Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Shush, don't tell them all my secrets...I mean waitwhat hey look a distraction.

As the creator the game, I can say that any exploit I am aware of I will attempt to fix sooner or la--oh wait look, a distraction.

As the creator the game, I can say that any exploit I am aware of I will attempt to fix sooner or la--oh wait look, a distraction.

Hey, it's perfectly balanced! You have to give up your Elemental Powers, not that you'll need them, so it's totally fair!And if I "accidentally" replaced that Kakama with a Pakari to deal upwards of three hundred damage per strike, it's not exploiting the game! It's just, uh, creative use of my available options! Yeah, that!And if I, er, coincidentally happened to give a Toa of Iron 9 Vitality and Nuva Armor, well, that's just another way to creatively repurpose my stats! I'm not min-maxing at all, no siree!...On a COMPLETELY UNRELATED note, has anyone else realized how amazing it is to give a Toa of Gravity a Kakama?

Yes, yes you would. Except if you're low on health, perhaps, or if there are too many opponents. Then it might be best to know exactly who has the Keystone, so you know who to target.

The only thing I didn't like is that the earth spew ability is gone, do you think it can be a secondary power in case I don't like the Earth chunk?

I've considered making it available while in mid-air since the quake power won't work there, but I might also add it in as an alternate attack in my upcoming "new and improved" engine.The thing is that the attack was just another mindless spray-n-pray attack, and it was similar to iron in graphics. Thus, I made it more unique.

The reworked Miru will let you glide more properly, so that might be enough to emulate Lewa. I could of course add a clause to Air and/or Gravity Toa, which would let them move up and down while levitating by expending extra EP.Regarding the upcoming engine rework: I will be splitting mask powers off from the EP bar. They will instead use their own "mask power" bar, which will take the place of the current air bar. Air will only be shown while it's actually relevant: While swimming or getting choked by other attacks.Attacks might gain some new depth, by allowing you to briefly charge some of them. A fireball, for example, could be quickly thrown like now, but it would no longer have knockback. It could instead be charged for some knockback, and even further for increased damage (to what it was pre-nerf, I suppose). I'm also thinking of letting the arrow keys determine the type of attack. If you are moving, you toss the quick version. If you are standing still, you can charge it. If you press down, you cause the fire to blast near yourself, and if you press up the fireball gets lobbed instead of flying straight. Would be rather simple to implement, surprisingly enough, and might lend some new versatility to otherwise limited powers.Shields and blocking: Once implemented, you can defend yourself with a shield, your weapon, or your bare hands. Naturally, actual shields will be best at blocking. They will eliminate all damage that does not break their threshold. If an attack does break said threshold, you will be forced out of block. During this very short period of time, you can be hit normally. Finally, if an attack overwhelms your defense or strikes during the block-break stagger, you may get knocked down. otherwise the most that can happen is you getting pushed lightly backwards.By default, shields would have 100% Damage Reduction from the front while active. Weapons would have about 75%. Bare hands would get something like 30%. Moving while blocking would be possible (such as stepping backwards away from a foe), but would lower the stagger threshold.Most masks would be slightly reworked, but the Hau would need to accommodate for shields as a method of protection. The Hau would let you block perfectly (no stagger chance) even while on the move, so long as it is active. It will keep projectiles and explosions from even reaching you. Just as it is activated, it would have a short "burst" of energy, which reflects projectiles and push back enemies that happen to connect with melee at that moment. This is in contrast to the current functionality, where the mask is either useless (get attacked constantly by something you cannot run away from) or overpowered (run into someone with it active and they get knocked into the air foreverrrr).The mask would auto-activate at a low level while blocking for no cost. This would halt mask recharge for as long as you are blocking, however.New engine flight: Reworked. Miru gets changed into gliding. Gliding lets you cancel the effect of gravity and slow your fall, hover in midair, cover a great horizontal distance before landing and also greatly extend your vertical jumps. Essentially, you would not be flying (couldn't jump to the top of the Karda Nui pillar, for example), but you could achieve a similar effect.The Kadin would let you achieve full-fledged flight, at the cost of being unable to stop your motion like the Miru does. Upon activation, it gives a burst of speed. Great for covering distance quickly and getting up high, but bad for precision landings and dodging attacks in short bursts.Rahkshi flight will still be at-will at no cost, but it will use the mask activation button. This will put the Rahkshi into flight mode, where it will immediately be able to glide like a Miru user. Once flight mode is fully engaged, the Rahkshi can take off at great speed with good control, like a mix of Miru and Kadin.In all instances, levitation and flight will let you use melee attacks and your powers, but some may be a bit restricted depending on how game balance works out. You would also be unable to block while flying.Melee attacks: New types of animation would be available. Axes will no longer be used for stabbing, as one example, and gun-type weapons would get their own pose and functionality. Staffs, too. You would be able to use a few different attacks per weapon, such as swords having both stabbing and slashing in different directions. Slashing would naturally have a slightly bigger range, while stabs would be usable while blocking at the cost of reducing block efficiency.Finally, I will take care in the new engine to make actual game modes available. Unlike the current engine (which started off as just a character customization test) there will be a way to actually win a match. I will add "infinite free-for-all" (the way it is now) as an option for those who still want that, of course. :)Then there is multiplayer, which I have been experimenting with and might just try to implement in this engine right away. I probably should. Even if it's bare-bones multiplayer in a separate mode it's still multiplayer, right?Reworking and implementing so many new things will take a while, but since I have a lot of functionality and attacks and such already made this shouldn't be all that hard. I need some more sprites and stuff before I make this new engine, but after that it's go time.I will still work on some new attack graphics and such for the current engine, so even though I'm reworking stuff behind the scenes you might still get a few more updates before it happens.Oh, and I'll of course post screenshots of progress and answer any questions you may have in the meantime. ;)
Oh gee, that sounds great!

I recently downloaded this game and although a bit tough to pick up, I'm learning to be better at it bit by bit. However, I noticed something while playing- I equipped a Huna lying on the ground, turned invisible, and when I went back and put on my Kakama again, I remained invisible with no energy depleting.

TLoMN_Po-Koro_Celebration.png

I recently downloaded this game and although a bit tough to pick up, I'm learning to be better at it bit by bit. However, I noticed something while playing- I equipped a Huna lying on the ground, turned invisible, and when I went back and put on my Kakama again, I remained invisible with no energy depleting.

Yeah, He's working on that. I advise that you enjoy it while you can.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

...Update.

That I totally didn't miss, nope.

Anyway, one word:

Earth.

The new primary "dirt meteor" thing totally gave me a nostalgia kick back to Onua in the first comics, and I must say, it is awesome. It's high arc and relatively short range makes it perfect for knocking flying enemies out of the sky. Although, the secondary ground explosion is by far the coolest thing for those Toa of Earth. The AoE delayed explosion knockback heavy damage thing really works for it. A one-two combo with the primary and secondary works very well at taking chunks out of health bars. Now, Miru + Earth + maxed out element and mind stats = a personal meteor launcher. Granted, you don't get the [awesome] secondary ability, nor the +1 strength passive, but it's still quite fun.

The new Water and Air attacks are cool too, I suppose.

Okay, they're great.

The Air primary is especially useful in blowing enemies into tornadoes, and I just can't get over how that attack looks. It's like blades. Of air. Chopping your opponent into more managable chunks.

Seriously though, even though there only about five different abilities for each, you've really gotten the spirit of each element down.

And then you've also got that stuff up there on other updates (shields!), which I wish I had time at the moment to comment on. Perhaps later I'll be able to, hopefully.

One last thing, has anyone else noticed how cool Rahkshi of Hunger are? And the fact that they have unlimted HP and EE when in a group of enemies. And the fact that they can't be killed if atleast one enemy is inside their draining field. Of course, I haven't really tried them with anything other than stats maxed to level 11 5 power, so I don't know if this applies for anything less than level 5.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

The new primary "dirt meteor" thing totally gave me a nostalgia kick back to Onua in the first comics, and I must say, it is awesome. It's high arc and relatively short range makes it perfect for knocking flying enemies out of the sky.

It was inspired from this, for the record. :) The other one was inspired by Onua's attack on Makuta, also from the Online Game.

The Air primary is especially useful in blowing enemies into tornadoes, and I just can't get over how that attack looks. It's like blades. Of air. Chopping your opponent into more managable chunks.

I only accidentally made that effect while trying to achieve wind lines without lag. :lol:

One last thing, has anyone else noticed how cool Rahkshi of Hunger are? And the fact that they have unlimted HP and EE when in a group of enemies. And the fact that they can't be killed if at least one enemy is inside their draining field. Of course, I haven't really tried them with anything other than stats maxed to level 11 5 power, so I don't know if this applies for anything less than level 5.

It's not as effective on lower levels, but it still makes use of elements hard when in melee range.

• Okay, for me the worst elements to play as are Stone and Earth. They are terrible and I die A LOT as them.
  • Nui-Rama glitch when hit by an object such as rock or fireball.
  • Will we see new mask powers and weapons any time soon.
  • Laser Harpoon actually work, I can send some screen shots if you want.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Okay, for me the worst elements to play as are Stone and Earth. They are terrible and I die A LOT as them.

Hm, I agree that they aren't as easy to kill dudes with as Fire or other powers, but their ability to stun should allow for a very powerful one-on-one match. Their slow firing speed makes them less useful against groups, or if you miss...

Nui-Rama glitch when hit by an object such as rock or fireball.

If you mean that they get stunned and drop to the floor, they are supposed to do that. However, most of the time they do not get back up, and that is indeed a bug. If you hit them while high in the air they should be able to recover...

Will we see new mask powers and weapons any time soon.

newsword.jpglightstone_rifle_wield.jpglightstone_rifle_demo.jpgYes. I'll see if I can't toss in the Olmak, too...

Laser Harpoon actually work, I can send some screen shots if you want.

It uses the same code as the Laser Crossbow at the moment, but in the future it will have something more special to make it more of an actual harpoon. Thus I haven't marked it as finished. Edited by Katuko

I'm not sure if this glitch has been found, but I'm noticing a recurring glitch with the Kakama where if I run at full speed to the left or right, then turn and turn the mask off, then my Toa suddenly goes sliding backwards at high speed until he reaches the edge of the map.

TLoMN_Po-Koro_Celebration.png

I'm not sure if this glitch has been found, but I'm noticing a recurring glitch with the Kakama where if I run at full speed to the left or right, then turn and turn the mask off, then my Toa suddenly goes sliding backwards at high speed until he reaches the edge of the map.

Ah yes, the moonwalk glitch. Terrible and hilarious at the same time. It happens if you turn to go in the opposite direction while in mid-air, and while your speed is higher than your maximum run speed. This can happen due to explosions launching you, or if you turn off the Kakama so that your max speed suddenly decreases. For some reason, this makes the game check for the wrong speed value, and so you just keep accelerating.I'll be fixing that as soon as I find the bug.