Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

what would an olmak do? something similar to a Rahkshi of Teleportation's poratl-leaving idea? also, those new weapons look awesome. the quake-breaker bazooka thingy looks like a base ball bat to me.

The Olmak would pretty much work like Teleportation secondary, except that the portal is visible to everyone and stays open for a few seconds after activation. This allows both friends and enemies to pass through. It also allows me the option of slaying anyone who uses it after it has closed too much. :PThat's a Lightstone Rifle, by the way, not a Quake Breaker bazooka (though a gun that shoots chainsaws would admittedly be pretty cool).

Personally, Lightstone rifles are my favorite xian weapon, so I am excited you are trying to implement them!

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

well, it looked like a quake breaker with a baseball bat handle, but it was shown pressed against the shoulder like an RPG, so I thought "oh, it shoots bombs :evilgrin: " but no, seriously, that sounds awesome. after doing a bit of reading up on it, the way it would work is it would charge up, then be shot and whoever it struck would be blinded by light. am I right?

Edited by Strackkorotus

Previously known as Aiwendil.

I would assume so. Although, unless he throws canon recharging times out the window, I would guess he will let the characters stock up on several Pre-charged magazines for faster combat.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

after doing a bit of reading up on it, the way it would work is it would charge up, then be shot and whoever it struck would be blinded by light. am I right?

I would assume so. Although, unless he throws canon recharging times out the window, I would guess he will let the characters stock up on several Pre-charged magazines for faster combat.

The new engine will have things like projectile weapons built in properly, so then we are talking things like charge-up and ammo capacity, yes. Currently, it works like the Midak used to: A stab-n-shoot beam. At the moment it's using the Light primary graphics, though it changes color depending on what you have for your Glow.In the new engine, though, we have several options, and I think I'll be using them all as weapon settings. Currently the "weap_setting" variable is only used for selecting Rahkshi staff type and for toggling weapon powers on/off, so I might as well use it to let you customize your weapon a bit in other ways.The options we have are as follows: The canon version, where the crystal is shattered and used to fuel a laser beam of sorts; and the non-canon but still pretty cool version, where the Lightstone itself is launched and then explodes on impact. Functionally the former would be like either the Light primary or Laser Vision, while the latter would be more like a fat Cordak mixed with the Light secondary "flashbang" explosion.Both the beam and the solid projectile version could of course have a magazine attached. I was thinking of having this allow extra shots at the cost of 1 Dex.I have a bunch of text written on how weapons will be used in the new engine. I'll post it for you guys to read if you want to. It covers such things as varying attack animations, channeling powers and using them to block. Edited by Katuko

That Lightstone Rifle is looking goooooood. The thing with having either a laser or a glowing rock explosion (as well as different options for weapons) is just... awesome.

On another note:

newsword.jpg

Well doesn't that Kakama-wearing Toa of Ice mastermind look familar. Nice sword, by the way. ;)

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Well doesn't that Kakama-wearing Toa of Ice mastermind look familar. Nice sword, by the way. ;)

Heh, thanks. I actually made that sword sprite for the character Plagia in the BZPRPG. My char Madrihk's jagged sword is another one I'll be adding, as well as a bunch of other ones. You guys have probably seen these before, but you might as well get to see them again:custom_rayg_weapons_melee.pngcustom_rayg_weapons_guns.pngI won't be adding them all at the moment because my engine is a bit limited. Each new weapon requires a specific array entry with lots of extra stats, so I'll instead be making it possible in my new engine to simply swap the sprite of a basic weapon instead. So then I have one entry each for basic sword/axe/knife/spear, and go from there.In any case, then we are looking at lots of blades, polearms and projectile weapons. The ones pictured here are mostly custom ones, while I will of course include the ones that we've seen already as well. The gun weapons are mostly variations on the same base sprite, so I'll likely just include a few of those too, not the full animation up top. :POh, and you saw it here first, folks: Ta-Koro Guard staff and a Bitil's longsword. Edited by Katuko

Do you plan on eventually having a text and voice chat?

Toa Wolf

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back, it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig. _________________________________________________________________________________________________

If we are donating custom sprites... Here. It's matoran sized, but you might be able to do something with it.

Toss 'em over. Provided they are not something too specific or outlandish (like a shark knife) or too big, I'll see what I can do to add it.

i'm all for shark knives! I got it: I'm gonna learn the code, then code it in myself. :D on a slightly more serious note, how many people are working on this? it seems like several, but you can never be too sure...

If we are donating custom sprites... Here. It's matoran sized, but you might be able to do something with it.

I'd have to change the outline and shading, because it doesn't entirely fit the Rayg style as-is. The question also becomes: Where do we draw the line between "BIONICLE gun" and "generic gun"? Out of my own gun sprites, for example, only the glowy laser launchers actually fit the setting, at least per BIONICLE Heroes. The completely black shotguns and rifles, however, are more Halo-styled than BIONICLE.But anyways, give me any sprites you do have. Anything helps, really. Speaking of sprites, might anyone help me with a Toa roll animation? A simple combat roll/tumble of sorts is all I need, but it's hard to sprite. I tried taking an existing somersault sprite and rotating it, but that looked bad. Wrong perspective and stuff.

i'm all for shark knives! I got it: I'm gonna learn the code, then code it in myself. :D on a slightly more serious note, how many people are working on this? it seems like several, but you can never be too sure...

Most base sprites are taken from the Rayg kit and its additions that have already been made. I have personally sprited some weapons and new poses and stuff. I get music and sound effects off free sample sites on the net, as well as textures for maps. The map graphics themselves are made by me. All programming is also done by me. Edited by Katuko

Toss 'em over. Provided they are not something too specific or outlandish (like a shark knife) or too big, I'll see what I can do to add it.

on a slightly more serious note, how many people are working on this? it seems like several, but you can never be too sure...

Actually, Katuko is the only one working on it fully, although he lets fans contribute sprites and such.

I might try the roll animation, but I'm not really much good at spriting. I'll try, though.

That could work, theoretically.

There is a similar system in the online multiplayer of Star Wars: Republic Commando, Where you can select a pre-recorded catchphrase from a toolbar (by using number keys or something), and then it will play the pre-recorded (by the voice actor of whatever character you are) taunt. If Katuko could get enough catch phrases and voice actors, have them send in recordings, then put that, along with the system for it, into the game's programming (After he gets multiplayer done, of course), then when Player 1 presses the button to say "DIE YOU MAKUTA-SPAWN!" Or "I will smite thee, Son of Makuta!", the game will access the same audio file on Player 2's computer, thus not having to transfer the actual sound from computers - It's already there.

For a non-programmer, I hope I explained my concept right without losing my train of thought :P

But yeah, it's possible, yet theoretical.

There is a similar system in the online multiplayer of Star Wars: Republic Commando, Where you can select a pre-recorded catchphrase from a toolbar (by using number keys or something), and then it will play the pre-recorded (by the voice actor of whatever character you are) taunt. If Katuko could get enough catch phrases and voice actors, have them send in recordings, then put that, along with the system for it, into the game's programming (After he gets multiplayer done, of course), then when Player 1 presses the button to say "DIE YOU MAKUTA-SPAWN!" Or "I will smite thee, Son of Makuta!", the game will access the same audio file on Player 2's computer, thus not having to transfer the actual sound from computers - It's already there.

For a non-programmer, I hope I explained my concept right without losing my train of thought :P

That reminds me of the old Rhotuka spinner challenge.

bBhcfWO.png

I might be able to "donate" my voice as a gruff, battle hardened warrior, if you want to go for that

do Ideas work? because I have one: what about an option to record your voice, then whenever you text-chat, your opponent would hear it?

.Recording voice is complicated. Game Maker has no built-in functions for it, and DLLs/extension packages are always a bit risky depending on what systems you want to run them on. Furthermore, actually sending the voice via an internet connection afterwards requires a very quick line to prevent lag, and stellar programming to make it even work. Letting players record voice in-game is not really an option for me, sorry.And yes, ideas work. I have a document where I keep unused ideas in the case I find a way to implement it. Things like possible Skakdi mechanics, game features (like controller support), etc. go here...

There is a similar system in the online multiplayer of Star Wars: Republic Commando, Where you can select a pre-recorded catchphrase from a toolbar (by using number keys or something), and then it will play the pre-recorded (by the voice actor of whatever character you are) taunt.

.Team Fortress 2 does this with their voice lines too, and for clarity's sake I think we should just call them "voice commands", as that is the most commonly used expression I've seen...

If Katuko could get enough catch phrases and voice actors, have them send in recordings, then put that, along with the system for it, into the game's programming (After he gets multiplayer done, of course), then when Player 1 presses the button to say "DIE YOU MAKUTA-SPAWN!" Or "I will smite thee, Son of Makuta!", the game will access the same audio file on Player 2's computer, thus not having to transfer the actual sound from computers - It's already there.

.It's basic sound playing, really. If the voices are pre-recorded and included with the game, there is no trouble at all. Note that sound files are very large, though, so they could easily bloat the file size immensely. I've discussed this a bit before, and overall it was decided that full voice acting is not necessary or really that much of a plus for this game. Good voices would need plenty of lines as well to not get too repetitive. That said, I do plan on having some voice acting - it will mostly be limited to short yells and grunts when attacking, getting hit or doing other actions. These are small files, but they add a new level of immersion and "feel" to the game. It would of course be possible to toggle voices on/off in the menu, separately from music and sound effects.I have some sounds for both a male and a female already, but they would not fit every character. The female voice I have fits someone like Chiara or Varian, for example, but not Gali. I will therefore require samples from several different voices, and then I'll just add that as an option on the character menu. If any of you have played Dragon Age: Origins, you will know what I'm talking about...

I might be able to "donate" my voice as a gruff, battle hardened warrior, if you want to go for that

.I'll take you up on that, and say that anyone willing to do voices can PM me with a sample of some attack yelps and such. No actual words would be needed. Think of what you hear in games such as Legend of Zelda and Castlevania when people do actions. That kind of vocalization is what I'd need. I will of course credit anyone whose voice I use.Keep in mind that I'd need "proper" voices here. If your voice sounds too "fake" or the sound quality is bad, I naturally can't use it. Edited by Katuko

But... where is the blue one? :P

If you have the Overcharge the flashing colors means that you can get two different portal colors, but otherwise I'll be keeping them mono-colored to show who they belong to. Current functionality:- Press mask key to bring up the crosshairs. Use them like you would with teleportation. When you release the key, that point is marked (provided that it's not inside a wall).- Place another portal in order to auto-activate both. They are now visible, glowing and ready to warp people. As per canon, they will stay open until something passes through. AOnce the first being uses the portal, both ends will close after 3 seconds.- Dying with an inactive portal present will remove that portal. Dying with active but unused portals present will cause their 3-second timer to start even if nothing has touched the portals. This is to prevent one user from spamming many portals by repeatedly dying.- Switching masks does NOT remove active portals. They will stay until something passes through or the user dies.I'm not far from finishing this mask power, but it currently has a weird issue where it might freeze the game for a second or two if you place a portal directly on top of a target. I'll have to fix that.

so, I can't be the only one wondering... But, can the portal close on someone?

If I remember correctly...

- Once the first being uses the portal, both ends will close after 3 seconds.

The Olmak would pretty much work like Teleportation secondary, except that the portal is visible to everyone and stays open for a few seconds after activation. This allows both friends and enemies to pass through. It also allows me the option of slaying anyone who uses it after it has closed too much. :P

(Emphasis mine)So yes, apparently we can Portal Cut everyone to death. ;) Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

So, is it like what happened to Alternate Tuyet? Like the Portal Cut thing?

Yep, exactly. I would link you to an article on Portal Cuts, but I can't link to the site I would otherwise use.Presumably, it'll be an instant kill... so just combine an Olmak with some element that has knockback attacks... muahahahah.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

That can happen if you activate the Hau on an Exo-Toa's rocket. It will bounce it back to it.

Well, yeah, but I'm talking about stuff like sending those waves of plasma back at your enemy. Or Shadow clouds. Shadow clouds are annoying.

Or even better, the fireball-cannon multishot thing that the Exo-Pyro has. Redirect it. Harness it's POWAH.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -