Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

I must say, that single ability has got to one of the cleverest little things I've seen in this game. Seriously, throwing weapons around at your target, how much better can it get? The system used for elemental energy drain when using the ability works quite well, and really prevents any sort of overpowered cloud of swirling throwing knives.
I found myself chuckling while testing the ability, before I added any limit to it and just after I specifically coded the knives to split up when lifted. :lol:
Secondly, Toa of Light are no longer weak! :D The laser revamp is looking goooood, and really fits well with the rest of the animations for the powers in-game. I especially like how you melt enemies into slag rather than frying them alive, and the star-burst effect is a nice touch, given that before I couldn't quite tell if my attack hit or not. However, with this updated, I don't really see the use of the secondary ability, as it just seems to me to be the same attack (but it doesn't burn through people), just slightly weaker.
I'm quite satisfied with the primary rework, that I am. The secondary stuns enemies in a few hits due to its high "blind" setting. If you get hit by it, you will likely find that it is more visually distracting than the beam. Of course, bots don't care about visuals. They are either completely blind, or they can "see" perfectly.When I add a lighting system the secondary will brighten dark areas a lot more and also make the light "stick" for a while. Depending on how game balance goes it might also gain other buffs and/or changes; possibly it will be reworked.
Sonics is awesome, and finally has some sort of attacks. New powers are always good. Always.
Ah, that reminds me: I have to update the sound handling in this game as well, to let you actually become deafened and to get some use out of silencing yourself. More sound effects everywhere!Oh, and I'm not gonna deafen you by blasting sound at 150 dB, don't you worry. :P It's gonna be like in those FPS games where explosions dampen all sound and makes it "ring" for a little while.
On a slightly unrelated note, I noticed that the Rahkshi of Magnetism's secondary power doesn't count to your kills when you do actually kill someone with it. :???:
Fixed. I had forgotten to add the line of code that sets the "last attacker" in the victim instance. Thanks for telling me. :)
That code rewrite sounds like it will help alot.
I am hoping that it will increase the game's performance dramatically, yes. :) Edited by Katuko

So, I finally managed to play the new update for an extended peroid of time (about time, gawd i'm slow).

First off (let me don my shades first): Psionics eminate.

Telekinesis.

Awwwwwwww yeeeeeeah. B)

I must say, that single ability has got to one of the cleverest little things I've seen in this game. Seriously, throwing weapons around at your target, how much better can it get? The system used for elemental energy drain when using the ability works quite well, and really prevents any sort of overpowered cloud of swirling throwing knives.

That's what they want you to think. :P

Anyway.... you said consistent bots Katuko... does this possibly mean we might be able to design the bots we fight? Because that would be awesome.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Anyway.... you said consistent bots Katuko... does this possibly mean we might be able to design the bots we fight? Because that would be awesome.
Tahu vs. Tahu Nuva, Ta-Koro. No respawns, one-on-one match....This should be a thing.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

During my early testing I had the option there to load a second character file as a respawning bot. I removed it again because my code right then sucked, but I do plan to let you set up the characters that will be participating in a match.How I imagine it:--> Select team style (all for their own or team match, size of the teams, etc)--> A blank grid appears, with the squares sorted into teams.--> Clicking a square gives you an option: Load a pre-existing character, create a new one, or let the game randomize one. For random, it could be created right away, or be randomized on each spawn.--> The square fills in with a preview of the character's sprite, perhaps in a pose. A fully random character would just have a question mark.
Tahu vs. Tahu Nuva, Ta-Koro. No respawns, one-on-one match....This should be a thing.
What's this?No items.Fox only.FINAL DESTINATION!!Yes, I will add options for item spawns and bot spawns and everything, don't you worry. :)

Step 1: Make my character look like prime.

Step 2: Make a bot that looks like a vehicon. And duplicate as many times as possible. Infinite respawn.

Step 3: GIVE ME YOUR FACE!

I doubt anyone here understands... Oh well...

New Qestion: Will there be a capture the flag sort of game? I could see using the mask of light, that way toa vs. rahkshi makes sense.

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Ohhh...that sounds cool. I can't wait for the next update.

EDIT: I was just palying a while ago when I noticed some glitches.

1. The Hau shielding doesn't work to good. Also when someone is inside the shield when it's activated, the player bot's killed me. Twice. Oh and also people can still hit me with their powers. Like fear and poison.

2. On Kini-Nui while on a custom char., I found something cool. A new Kakama (It looked weird though. It looked nothing like the normal or nuva version.), so I put it on and used it. I went right and turned it off, suddenly I was going slow then rapidly going fast again when I turned around in the other direction. I turned it on again this going left and I continued going right. (Apperantly he was the fast version of the moon walk.) So then I went out of the map and died.

Edited by The Forgotten One

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

Ohhh...that sounds cool. I can't wait for the next update.

EDIT: I was just palying a while ago when I noticed some glitches.

1. The Hau shielding doesn't work to good. Also when someone is inside the shield when it's activated, the player bot's killed me. Twice. Oh and also people can still hit me with their powers. Like fear and poison.

2. On Kini-Nui while on a custom char., I found something cool. A new Kakama (It looked weird though. It looked nothing like the normal or nuva version.), so I put it on and used it. I went right and turned it off, suddenly I was going slow then rapidly going fast again when I turned around in the other direction. I turned it on again this going left and I continued going right. (Apperantly he was the fast version of the moon walk.) So then I went out of the map and died.

The hau shielding only works from the front. If you where not facing them, it will not block. as for the other thing, I honestly do not know.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

What's this?No items.Fox only.FINAL DESTINATION!!Yes, I will add options for item spawns and bot spawns and everything, don't you worry. :)
...You have no idea how much I hoped you'd say that. :P
The Kakama is based on Photok's Kakama from 2008, I believe. The super moonwalk is a well-known glitch at this point. It's also hilarious if you can trick a bot into doing it.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

New Qestion: Will there be a capture the flag sort of game? I could see using the mask of light, that way toa vs. rahkshi makes sense.
Yes, there will be CTF. It will probably be one of the first game modes I make, in fact. I'm thinking that the flags would be proper flags, with a team color/logo or something on them; but I'm of course open for replacing the flag with something else. The Ignika could work well for a map based on Voya Nui or the Pit, for example.

1. The Hau shielding doesn't work to good. Also when someone is inside the shield when it's activated, the player bot's killed me. Twice. Oh and also people can still hit me with their powers. Like fear and poison. 2. On Kini-Nui while on a custom char., I found something cool. A new Kakama (It looked weird though. It looked nothing like the normal or nuva version.), so I put it on and used it. I went right and turned it off, suddenly I was going slow then rapidly going fast again when I turned around in the other direction. I turned it on again this going left and I continued going right. (Apperantly he was the fast version of the moon walk.) So then I went out of the map and died.

The hau shielding only works from the front. If you where not facing them, it will not block. as for the other thing, I honestly do not know.

The graphics for the shield are a bit misleading. Only the front half of your character is protected, as anything that comes from behind will pass through. On the other hand, there are indeed certain powers I might have missed, so if you try to block a frontal attack and it doesn't work, do tell me. :) The moonwalk is indeed a glitch, and one that is inherent to my current movement code. You can already go backwards by pressing both directional keys at once, but the Kakama messes it all up even more by giving you boosted speed. If you jump towards the left with your Kakama active, then turn around right before you hit the ground, you might shoot off to the left for as long as you keep the key pressed, for example.
The Kakama is based on Photok's Kakama from 2008, I believe. The super moonwalk is a well-known glitch at this point. It's also hilarious if you can trick a bot into doing it.
Correct, that Kakama is Photok's. Similarly, the Karda-Matoran form of the Miru is available. The Toa version sprites that I have simply didn't look as good as the Matoran forms, so that's why Lewa's Phantoka!Miru isn't available.You can access any available mask shape by clicking on the Kanohi icon in the character creation menu (next to its name). This will cycle through the available shapes.EDIT: Until I fix it, you can abuse the moonwalk by running backwards away from a fight with your Hau shield up or while throwing fireballs.I believe I will make it possible later on to walk backwards for this purpose, though it will be at reduced speed compared to the current glitch version. Edited by Katuko

Woah! An update!

I must admit I underestimated your motivation Katuko. I thought this was going to die. I'm so glad it didn't. :D

Thank you for uploading the source by the way. I certainly don't plan to copy any of it (I don't even have Game Maker Pro :P ). I just wanted that, in my pessimism, as a safeguard in case you did give up on this.

I haven't yet played alpha 11, but I will shortly, and definitely tell you what I think. Psionics looks like pure awesome dipped in awesomesauce, with an extra helping of awsum on the side.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I must admit I underestimated your motivation Katuko. I thought this was going to die. I'm so glad it didn't. :D
You thought it was going to die in the few months between update 10 and 11? I've spent months between updates before, and this time I so happen to be having studies, work, holidays and also a real death in the family. No further comment on that; but know that if anything is going to kill my motivation permanently, it's zero downloads and not procrastination. :P
Thank you for uploading the source by the way. I certainly don't plan to copy any of it (I don't even have Game Maker Pro :P ). I just wanted that, in my pessimism, as a safeguard in case you did give up on this.
That source is going to be obsolete pretty quickly, and it is a train wreck organization- and efficiency-wise. If I cease work on this project you are all likely screwed anyways, because I doubt you'll find someone who can actually make my messy code work without rewriting everything in his own style. Oh, and of course, would actually have the drive to see the project through him/herself. The FCG section of the forum has been dead for a long time, after all. ;)

Wow, another update! I'm downloading right now. I was just playing the previous version when I decided to go to Bzpower and then I saw this... :P

Anyway, keep up the good work! You've really done a lot for this project. I hope to see this as a multiplayer someday, but even like this it is quite entertaining. :D

Just realized a small bug: If you load a character file from any previous update, and that character is wearing armor, then you will have lost a stat point on that armor. Since armor no longer costs anything to equip, unequipping the armor will not regain you the point either. Feel free to fix this by editing your file to give yourself one more point. ;)

Just realized a small bug: If you load a character file from any previous update, and that character is wearing armor, then you will have lost a stat point on that armor. Since armor no longer costs anything to equip, unequipping the armor will not regain you the point either. Feel free to fix this by editing your file to give yourself one more point. ;)

One more point?

*ahem*

Right.

Er. :lol:

Say, anyone else try Psionics with a Miru? Because flying in the air while having a swirling mass of throwing knives around you is extremely fun to do. The EE drain is massive, but can easily be fixed with a few... changes to the character file. :D

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Bug repoert: you cannot move up and left at the same time. you can move up and right though. and being able to switch directions while using a weapon would be really nice.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Say, anyone else try Psionics with a Miru? Because flying in the air while having a swirling mass of throwing knives around you is extremely fun to do. The EE drain is massive, but can easily be fixed with a few... changes to the character file. :D
I have tried a lot of things while testing, and I can recommend using both the Miru, Hau and Huna in conjunction with the telekinetic weapons. Psionics do have 3x recharge rate so you can keep a small number of weapons airborne without losing EP any faster than a regular Toa with the same mask.
Bug repoert: you cannot move up and left at the same time. you can move up and right though. and being able to switch directions while using a weapon would be really nice.
I can move up and left at the same time with no trouble. Try re-binding your keys and see if a different combination will work, because some keyboard simply can't handle certain combinations of key presses. On my old laptop it was Up+Left plus Space which would not work, and that sounds like it might be the issue for you too.Changing directions while using a weapon? I can't see slashing weapons as a trouble, so I suppose you mean gun-type weapons. They are currently using standard melee code that fires continuously, but when I rework the movement and animation system I'll make sure to make it possible to use different types of motions when attacking.

Hey Katuko, I know this is a bit off topic, but how do you use spritesheets?
Feel free to PM me with any off-topic stuff. ;)Sprite sheets? Well, it depends on your program. If it's an image editing program, just cut and move and paste and do as you would with any other image file. In Game Maker, create a new sprite, then open the editor and select File --> Load/Add From Strip. You will then get a window for setting the size and number of frames you want to import. A proper "strip", though, consists of a row of equally spaced images, with the file ending "_strip5.png" or similar, where 5 is the number of frames. If you have such a sprite strip, you can load it directly by using Create From File.In other game making or editing programs, I don't know exactly how they handle sprite sheets.

it was on the school computers. So that's probably it. And I was talking about the quake breakers actually. But that too.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

hey Katuko, is there going to be a feature where if your playing as a toa, only rahkshi will attack you and vice versa?
You will be able to mix and match teams as you see fit; so if you want Toa vs Rahkshi, that should very much be possible. :)

or what about half the elements vs the other half? and rahkshi just going everywhere killing anyone they want....which is pretty much everyone.

Or maybe you load up your overpowered character file, but then ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN of ULTIMATE DESTINY.Complete with song.I might add something akin to "Endless Melee" for those who enjoy mindless smack-downs of ever-changing opponents.

Edited by Katuko

we're just spurting out ideas like a volcano here, aren't we? oh yes, mindless smack-downs. then I could prove to my friends that if we all became toa, I would be the one pwning them to the ground :evilbiggrin:

Or maybe you load up your overpowered character file, but then ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN of ULTIMATE DESTINY.Complete with song.
...Well, I just did this, complete with my cloud of throwing knives massacring everyone.It was even more fun than it sounds.

Katuko, you've created a monster!
If I were afraid of monsters I wouldn't have given you the option to mix-and-match whatever ghastly color combinations you can come up with for your characters. You haven't seen anything until a pale brown and fuchsia Toa in cyan armor comes after you with a lime-colored laser drill that shoots red beams in his hands. :lol:

Katuko, you've created a monster!
If I were afraid of monsters I wouldn't have given you the option to mix-and-match whatever ghastly color combinations you can come up with for your characters. You haven't seen anything until a pale brown and fuchsia Toa in cyan armor comes after you with a lime-colored laser drill that shoots red beams in his hands. :lol:

I actually did that after reading what you typed. I can assure you, light brown and pink with red bolts from an energy crossbow is not a good color sceme. :biggrin:

doyoubelieveinmagic.pngSomething I must also program is a script of sorts that checks your character files not just for excessive stats, but also excessive use of clashing colors. Stat abuse will prevent you from joining a server, or alternately just reset the stats to default for that match. Abuse of color theory will automatically delete the game from your computer....I'm kidding, of course. ;)

good, of course. hate to have that happen to me while I was on the road. but one question: on Karda Nui, sometimes the sky turns red, then there's a red Exo-Toa(I think he's makuta) and whenever I beat him, this little symbol thingy pops up, I run through it, and suddenly i'm invincible(sorta). something similar happens in the fortress in Ta-Koro. I get this sparkly little symbol, then there's a makuta rock, then the Toa Mata pop out. what i'm asking is if this is going to lead to something further, or if it's just going to stop there.

what i'm asking is if this is going to lead to something further, or if it's just going to stop there.
For the time being, these events will stay as they are. However, in the future I hope to flesh out the "missions" within the maps, so that there is more for you to do apart from the proper game modes that will eventually be in.The Exo-Toa boss (which is called the "Exo-Pyro" in my files due to its setup) is not meant to be Makuta, but some super-version of the regular robots that is sent to break up the conflict. Hence it speaks in a deriding manner to both Toa, Rahkshi and eventual Nui-Rama that might be caught in the crossfire. :)The power-up it drops is the "Overcharge", something I tossed in because originally the reward would be the ability to drive the Exo-suit once you beat the boss. This proved tricky to program, but it is definitely on the menu for the future. ;)The Toa Mata were also tossed in as a bonus boss kinda thingy. A proper boss that has been planned for a while now is the Makuta himself, but that fight is also rather complicated to program and so I haven't bothered to do so yet. There have been other things to do first, considering that this game is actually focused on multiplayer balance.

doyoubelieveinmagic.pngSomething I must also program is a script of sorts that checks your character files not just for excessive stats, but also excessive use of clashing colors. Stat abuse will prevent you from joining a server, or alternately just reset the stats to default for that match. Abuse of color theory will automatically delete the game from your computer....I'm kidding, of course. ;)

I vote that they spontaneously blow up on spawn. that would be awesome.

Though, it would probably slow down the game, and probably isn't the best way of taking care of it. but it would be funny.

And driving the exo-pyro sounds fun.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

That would be cool, driving the Exo-Pyro.

Pure carnage. :smeag:

oh yeah! driving around in an exo-toa that shoots pure fire and RPGs sounds epic! :D

I found another glitch.
The Kanohi switch issue is known, and I'll be fixing it once I figure out how. I'm thinking I'll have to replace my exit statements with an if-else structure, to prevent masks from canceling the scripts of others. That is for me to worry about, though. In the meantime, have fun abusing the glitch (switching from Kakama to a Miru will let you keep the speed boost, FYI). :)