More Female Toa?

JPNML

Hello people, you know how in every toa team, there's only one girl?I think there should be some equality,like 2 female toa,maybe a new feminine body,because a part like that could be useful for MOCing. I took a count,and there's been only 4 female toa.Post your ideas below.

There have been more than 4 female Toa, at least over the entire story. Only 3 have ever been released as sets--Gali, Nokama, and Hahli. The full list of known female Toa is Gali, Nokama, Hahli, Tuyet, Nikila, Helryx, Naho, Gaaki, Chiara, and Varian [fan submitted].There can be any number of female Toa in a team. Male Toa are more common, though, due to a larger number of elements being associated with that gender [in the canon].In addition, there will not be a more feminine body piece made, because there are no more Bionicle sets, and Hero Factory sets all use the same torso pieces. I personally like designing custom female torsos on MOCs, because I find it more challenging than making male ones and the results are far better than using a generic body piece.

Edited by Architect

Uhh,yeah. I miscounted the number of water toa,and I was talking about the released sets,while talking about if they re-released the bionicle series.Anyways,you seem to be the only one who replies to my topics...

Architect is right on the money.There are 3 female elements: Water, Lightning, and Psionics, versus 11 male elements. That gives us a ratio of 3:11, so with 10 named female Toa we should have 36 2/3 named male Toa.I count 31 named male Toa, including Savage and Spinner. Maybe I counted wrong or my math was wrong, but the number of females seems about right given the very small number of female elements.It would be interesting to do something like this with Matoran as well. I do think the number of female Matoran is too low compared to males, even accounting for the small number of female elements.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Uhh,yeah. I miscounted the number of water toa,and I was talking about the released sets,while talking about if they re-released the bionicle series.Anyways,you seem to be the only one who replies to my topics...

You should've been more clear then. By the way, there's almost no chance of Bionicle returning as a set line.Yeah, it's weird; normally someone else replies before me, except with your topics. Dunno why people are seemingly ignoring you. Then again, most folks ignore my topics too, so maybe it has to do with that. XP

Architect is right on the money.There are 3 female elements: Water, Lightning, and Psionics, versus 11 male elements. That gives us a ratio of 3:11, so with 10 named female Toa we should have 36 2/3 named male Toa.I count 31 named male Toa, including Savage and Spinner. Maybe I counted wrong or my math was wrong, but the number of females seems about right given the very small number of female elements.It would be interesting to do something like this with Matoran as well. I do think the number of female Matoran is too low compared to males, even accounting for the small number of female elements.

I've always disliked the fact that the elements are gender-exclusive. I can see why it was set up the way it was--male characters would be more popular with the target audience than female ones, thus the smaller number of female characters and elements. Even so, I prefer to let all elements be of either gender in fanon; it just seems more right that way.By the way, I did the same thing with Matoran who didn't become Toa:16 female (all Ga-Matoran, except Gavla)85 male (including the ones who were transformed and became Dark Hunters)...Okay. :U Edited by Architect

This is another good example of where the sets drove the storyline like a stolen Volkswagen. Frankly, I can understand a FEW(Mind you, very FEW(REALLY FEW.).) elements that are all Male or all Female. But with the rest, let's have a Female Ta-Matoran!

WIP

A Toa team could easily have 3 male and 3 female Toa, all with different elements, provided the females are Toa of Water, Lightning and Psionics. Female Toa of Light can also exist, but they never have in the story.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

This is another good example of where the sets drove the storyline like a stolen Volkswagen.Frankly, I can understand a FEW(Mind you, very FEW(REALLY FEW.).) elements that are all Male or all Female. But with the rest, let's have a Female Ta-Matoran!

I kind of have to agree with you about the Volkswagen.We have a female Ta-Matoran around here, didn't you know? Her name's Neelh. :P (In all seriousness, that's a good idea.)

A Toa team could easily have 3 male and 3 female Toa, all with different elements, provided the females are Toa of Water, Lightning and Psionics. Female Toa of Light can also exist, but they never have in the story.

You're partially correct. Yes, such a team could exist, but a Toa team does NOT have to have only 6 Toa, nor does it have to have only one of each element. The Toa Mangai are a good example--2 Toa of Water and 4 Toa of Ice. In addition, who says a team has to have male members? An all-female Toa team could potentially exist.

By the way, I did the same thing with Matoran who didn't become Toa:16 female (all Ga-Matoran, except Gavla)85 male (including the ones who were transformed and became Dark Hunters)...Okay. :U

With 16 female Matoran we should have 58 2/3 males. Wow.My 3 to 11 doesn't include Light or Shadow, as they can be either gender, so maybe you including Av-Matoran would skew it a bit, but still, that's kind of a bit difference.

Technically,there should be +2 to your list. "Prototype" was two toa merged into one.

Well, I wasn't sure what to do with him, given that while he has a name, his member Toa do not. Including his two the figure would still be about even. Edited by alpha123

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

By the way, I did the same thing with Matoran who didn't become Toa:16 female (all Ga-Matoran, except Gavla)85 male (including the ones who were transformed and became Dark Hunters)...Okay. :U

With 16 female Matoran we should have 58 2/3 males. Wow.My 3 to 11 doesn't include Light or Shadow, as they can be either gender, so maybe you including Av-Matoran would skew it a bit, but still, that's kind of a bit difference.
Yeah, excluding the Av- and Shadow Matoran only brings us down to 15 female and 79 male.

That would be interesting to see an all female-Toa team.

I think it would be interesting, and I'd love to see it, but my one complaint would be it would be made out to be a stereotypical 'Let's go have a tea party after we fight these Bohrok!' type of team, or at least it would be made out that way by some male fans.Still, I believe this is a highly-discussed subject, and my basic line on it is, that each element should have both masculine and feminine genders. Although the audience preference is directed at young boys, that doesn't mean there can't be a larger percentage of female Toa, honestly.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I think it would be interesting, and I'd love to see it, but my one complaint would be it would be made out to be a stereotypical 'Let's go have a tea party after we fight these Bohrok!' type of team, or at least it would be made out that way by some male fans.Still, I believe this is a highly-discussed subject, and my basic line on it is, that each element should have both masculine and feminine genders. Although the audience preference is directed at young boys, that doesn't mean there can't be a larger percentage of female Toa, honestly.
I hate stereotypes. Another extreme is that they would be made out as Feminists. Again, this is where LEGO and the sets drove the storyline. I agree, more female characters would be nice to see.

WIP

I hate stereotypes. Another extreme is that they would be made out as Feminists.Again, this is where LEGO and the sets drove the storyline. I agree, more female characters would be nice to see.
I agree with both of you. It would definitely be viewed as stereotypical in some way or another, but I still think it's an interesting idea, and something to consider working into a fanfic (although I'm not much for writing those; I can never finish them).You can't really blame Lego for "driving the storyline" somewhat based on the sets. They were trying harder and harder over Bionicle's lifespan to make the product appealing to the target group--sales declined starting in 2006 or earlier.It would be neat if some folks got together and created some sort of alternate canon--a universe identical to the canon in most ways, but with a few things switched up, that could be a generally accepted setting for fan fiction in addition to the canon. I've been seeing a lot of topics popping up about this sort of fanon stuff lately, so this would be a way to put these problems to rest. It might not be a great idea to those who like to modify the canon as they choose, though, so I don't know if it would ever come to fruition. Still. :P

I hate stereotypes. Another extreme is that they would be made out as Feminists.Again, this is where LEGO and the sets drove the storyline. I agree, more female characters would be nice to see.
I agree with both of you. It would definitely be viewed as stereotypical in some way or another, but I still think it's an interesting idea, and something to consider working into a fanfic (although I'm not much for writing those; I can never finish them).You can't really blame Lego for "driving the storyline" somewhat based on the sets. They were trying harder and harder over Bionicle's lifespan to make the product appealing to the target group--sales declined starting in 2006 or earlier.It would be neat if some folks got together and created some sort of alternate canon--a universe identical to the canon in most ways, but with a few things switched up, that could be a generally accepted setting for fan fiction in addition to the canon. I've been seeing a lot of topics popping up about this sort of fanon stuff lately, so this would be a way to put these problems to rest. It might not be a great idea to those who like to modify the canon as they choose, though, so I don't know if it would ever come to fruition. Still. :P
Uh, I'm actually working on something like that.

WIP

You're partially correct. Yes, such a team could exist, but a Toa team does NOT have to have only 6 Toa, nor does it have to have only one of each element. The Toa Mangai are a good example--2 Toa of Water and 4 Toa of Ice. In addition, who says a team has to have male members? An all-female Toa team could potentially exist.
I know, but I was just thinking the standard 6-Toa team which I believe was the most common kind of team in the MU.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I know, but I was just thinking the standard 6-Toa team which I believe was the most common kind of team in the MU.
Not to nitpick here, but the only Toa teams we know of with 6 members are the Nuva, Metru, Hagah, and Mahri. These four teams were the only ones released in their entirety as sets (Hagah being a partial exception), and the team size of 6 Toa was established because of the original 6 elements introduced in the canon. I don't think that the size of those four teams is necessarily the "standard"--the teams featured in the story may have had 6 members, but there were many other teams of Toa in the MU about which we know very little, including their size.Just sayin'. =P Edited by Architect

Part of the reason there were so few female characters as sets is that female action figures tend to have poor sales compared to male action figures. It's hardly a problem exclusive to BIONICLE or even to LEGO.More female characters would have been nice, but the target age range for BIONICLE includes a lot of boys who want nothing to do with anything they consider "girly". This is probably also a factor in why so few female BIONICLE figures ended up looking obviously feminine.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually did always think more female characters would have helped the storyline's depth.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• 2 years later...

You should've been more clear then. By the way, there's almost no chance of Bionicle returning as a set line.Yeah, it's weird; normally someone else replies before me, except with your topics. Dunno why people are seemingly ignoring you. Then again, most folks ignore my topics too, so maybe it has to do with that. XP

Time to eat those words,

• Upvote 1

Part of the reason there were so few female characters as sets is that female action figures tend to have poor sales compared to male action figures. It's hardly a problem exclusive to BIONICLE or even to LEGO.More female characters would have been nice, but the target age range for BIONICLE includes a lot of boys who want nothing to do with anything they consider "girly". This is probably also a factor in why so few female BIONICLE figures ended up looking obviously feminine.

The first bionicle I ever got was a Ga-matoran, I built her without use of the instructions, it was only until recently that I realized I had mistaken her for a guy the whole time,

Time to eat those words,

Do not revive topics older than 60 days, let alone 3 years.

Topic closed.

• Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert