Bionicle Gameboy Games, For The Pc?

Kavu

I was watching a play through of Tales of the Tohunga on the ####### and I quickly discovered the guy wasn't playing it on his Gameboy advance, but rather through his PC. Does anyone know how he did this?

Edited by Moe Howard
do not bypass the word filter

Around the...darker corners of the internet, it is possible to obtain what is known a ROM of a game - basically, a copy of the game that, with a program known as an emulator, can be played on a PC. Convenient though this may be, it's straight-up illegal.

Q2TtLEz.png

Around the...darker corners of the internet, it is possible to obtain what is known a ROM of a game - basically, a copy of the game that, with a program known as an emulator, can be played on a PC. Convenient though this may be, it's straight-up illegal.
A ROM is nothing more than a snapshot of the game's cartridge. Like you said, it's possible to get a ROM illegally off the internet, but you can get the ROM yourself straight from the cartridge with the proper hardware, which is legal.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

A ROM is nothing more than a snapshot of the game's cartridge. Like you said, it's possible to get a ROM illegally off the internet, but you can get the ROM yourself straight from the cartridge with the proper hardware, which is legal.
Same goes for BIOS, unless I'm mistaken. Of course it's not all as easy as it looks....

~ CHTrilogy

Same goes for BIOS, unless I'm mistaken. Of course it's not all as easy as it looks....
Right. I don't think the GBA has a BIOS, though. I know nothing about the GBA's architecture, so I could be wrong.
Oh, this is possible? I need this hardware, as well as copies of every Lego game released for the Gameboy. Would it also work for Nintendo (Lego Battles) :biggrin: ?
Yes, what I described would work for DS games, as well as games for pretty much every other gaming/arcade console out there. You'll need different ROM-reading hardware, but the basic process remains the same. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Yeah. While it may work well for the PC, it's definitely the shadier side of the Internet you definitely should avoid dealing with. Malware and viruses and such.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I think, at least in the US, it is legal to have a copy of something you already own. For example, if you wanted to play Tales of the Tohunga but can't find your cartridge, I think it is legal to possess a ROM since you already own the game. I could be wrong, so I encourage you look that up before thinking I am 100% correct.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I think, at least in the US, it is legal to have a copy of something you already own. For example, if you wanted to play Tales of the Tohunga but can't find your cartridge, I think it is legal to possess a ROM since you already own the game. I could be wrong, so I encourage you look that up before thinking I am 100% correct.
I've seen several people say this, but I've found no hard evidence supporting this view either, unfortunately.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

The most complicated it gets is actually getting the hardware for to connect the game to the computer and getting the BIOS off the Gameboy (and I'm as unsure as everyone else whether or not the GB even has a BIOS). Although I'm sure you could find it if you looked around online retailers.Console games are actually much easier to emulate, as most of them use DVD or Blu-Ray format and most have USB ports, so getting a BIOS isn't too difficult, and you can play the game directly from the disc.

This is bad but I used to have Bionicle: The Game for my PC but I lost it so I downloaded it off the internet and was like "Consider it my warranty."

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

Illegalness

Illegalness
That's probably not the sort of thing you want to brag about online, you know? :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Illegalness
That's probably not the sort of thing you want to brag about online, you know? :)
Yeah :P I was like 7 or 8

Illegalness
Yeah :P I was like 7 or 8
At age 8 you went to a torrent site and downloaded an entire video game?You learn quickly.
Yeah, I learnt about emulators somewhere around the age of 12. But after that, it was just smooth sailings. Honestly, Let's Plays nowadays are mostly done using Emulators, I thought most people teenage and up would be aware of this. Edited by Festus Flare