Were Matoran Children In Bionicle

It just seems to make sense to me. The matoran have higher pitch voices and are really small. Then you have the Toa who are tall and strong. They also seem in there own right, more mature when they are toa, like Takua when he changes to Takanuva. He has an instat personalty change. When the Turaga are the elderly. They are wise but not that strong.I know Matoran are not meant to be children but why do the three main things in the Matoran universe all relate to the three main stages of are universe?

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Just how Greg has interpretted them to be, and in some ways it's correct. The difference is Matoran do not have to grow into Toa and then Turaga.About the higher pitched voices, that's just the movies interpretation, we haven't really heard voices outside of them. And the pitch wasn't significantly different either.The maturity of Toa is probably to do with the change in responsibility. Matoran can be immature, because they don't have peoples lives in their hands usually, or any sort of power to use wisely. And the turaga appear older, wiser and more mature because of their experiences as a Toa.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Well, if I recall correctly they were meant to be the workers destined to maintain the Great Spirit Robot. Perhaps they had been shaped at a children-like height due to determined jobs that required them to have such a size. However, Matoran weren't meant to be children in BIONICLE, IMO, as there's no family structure between Toa, Turaga and Matoran. They're robots, after all, so they shouldn't have a notion of "family", since they do not have all those things ( which I'm not gonna say here ) that are behind our family idea.In conclusion, I'd say no, seen what I said and what Taipu1 said.

Well, the Matoran weren't necessarily immature; some of them were portrayed that way, likely to help establish a 'hierarchy' in people's minds that corresponded to reality's child->adult->elder, but considering they made up the majority of their society's population and they were known to get by for thousands of years fairly well, it's probably safe to say that there's plenty of Matoran who are more 'adult' personality- and role-wise. We just don't see them too often, because Toa and the like are the protagonists.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Well, if I recall correctly they were meant to be the workers destined to maintain the Great Spirit Robot. Perhaps they had been shaped at a children-like height due to determined jobs that required them to have such a size. However, Matoran weren't meant to be children in BIONICLE, IMO, as there's no family structure between Toa, Turaga and Matoran. They're robots, after all, so they shouldn't have a notion of "family", since they do not have all those things ( which I'm not gonna say here ) that are behind our family idea.In conclusion, I'd say no, seen what I said and what Taipu1 said.
Hey Emile,I agree with with you but there is a distinct characteristic change. Im mean Takua changed instantly. Besides, I would say there is a family like structure. Toa treat all their Matoran as sons and daughters. And Turaga respectively

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Short answer is no.This came up on the old forums once and it was determined clearly that no, Matoran are not actually children, mainly because only some are ever destined to become Toa, then Turaga; most live their entire lifespans as Matoran. Also, they live far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far... far longer than you. ;)That said, Toa do go through challenges that Matoran basically have to run away from, and that can force them to mature psychologically. Also, Turaga are called elders (at least in the "translation"). The physical appearances certainly mirror human life stages.So the long answer is yes and no. :P Poetically yes. Literally, no.

Takua when he changes to Takanuva. He has an instat personalty change.
How do you figure? And an "instant" personality change would not imply a humanlike adulthood, as we do not grow up instantly. Takua, like all the main characters, was forced to mature psychologically due to events. His main change was realizing that he needed to stop running from his destiny, and accept the mantle of Toa. This change happened as Jaller was dying, while he was a Matoran. Then he turned into a Toa because of that choice (because he put on the mask as a result). Not the other way around.And he continued to change as he went through other events. There was no single instant change of his personality; he was changing in experience and maturity throughout all his time as a Matoran and as a Toa.Also, a nitpick, but I would argue that "personality" usually describes the natural aspects of people that do not change, and Takua's didn't. He remained adventurous and "different" from Ta-Matoran (because he was of the Light element). It was in other ways that he changed, not really personality. But, that's semantics; by another definition you could say his personality changed so whatever.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Hey Emile,I agree with with you but there is a distinct characteristic change. Im mean Takua changed instantly. Besides, I would say there is a family like structure. Toa treat all their Matoran as sons and daughters. And Turaga respectively
I don't remember this thing, but I can remember that often Toa referred each one to the other as "brother" or "sister": So what? They weren't "born" from the same mother and father, or however it happens.I think bonesiii is right, as personality changes occur due to "random" facts and not only when they transformed into Toa. Remember Matau? He always had that "daredevil" behavior, even as a Toa.

I don't remember this thing, but I can remember that often Toa referred each one to the other as "brother" or "sister": So what? They weren't "born" from the same mother and father, or however it happens.
In like the first comic Kopaka hugs Matoro and says"Its okay, your safe now.

I don't remember this thing, but I can remember that often Toa referred each one to the other as "brother" or "sister": So what? They weren't "born" from the same mother and father, or however it happens.
No, he didn't! He grabbed Matoro because they were falling off the edge of a cliff! He didn't give Matoro a hug because Matoro was scared or something like that.

No, he didn't! He grabbed Matoro because they were falling off the edge of a cliff! He didn't give Matoro a hug because Matoro was scared or something like that.
You just ruined that beautiful moment for me.

Matoran are, as bones stated already, poetically children. This concept was most likely developed in order to add a sense of familiarity to the story.Also, Emile A239 has a very good point:

Perhaps they had been shaped at a children-like height due to determined jobs that required them to have such a size.
In "Brother's in Arms", an alternate universe contains Toa that are Matoran sized and Matoran that are Toa sized. The Toa are smaller in the reality to allow them to maneuver in underground passages (in order to stabilize the core of Spherus Magna and avert the Shattering).Also, while Takua was "childish" for the majority of his time as a Matoran, many Matoran (Onepu, for example) were very mature.

many Matoran (Onepu, for example) were very mature.
Onepu isn't the best example, given his MNOG2 portrayal of "teaching" Taipu how to do both of their work for Onepu lol. But your basic point works yeah. :P Jaller would be a better example.And I did not know that about that alternate universe, interesting. Learn something new every... Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

many Matoran (Onepu, for example) were very mature.
Onepu isn't the best example, given his MNOG2 portrayal of "teaching" Taipu how to do both of their work for Onepu lol. But your basic point works yeah. :P Jaller would be a better example.And I did not know that about that alternate universe, interesting. Learn something new every...
Yeh but Jaller is still kind of like a kid. He changes a lot after he becomes Toa. But I still think the Toa treat the Matoran as their children. They would sacrifice their lives to make sure the Matoran would be safe.

How did Jaller change significantly when he became a Toa? He was a mature leader both as a Matoran on Mata Nui and as a Toa (arguably more mature than Tahu for example, at least when Tahu started out in 2001).And are you saying adults wouldn't sacrifice their lives to keep other adults safe? Sure they would. :)Really there is no such thing as literal children to them, so the Toa do not think of them that way. They don't know of humans to make that comparison. It doesn't exist. There are similarities that the story creators (being real humans) draw poetically, but it's not meant to imply that the characters think that way. :)How Toa think of Matoran is probably best shown by Vakama and company in 2004 story. They are fully-made Matoran, adult from the first moment they're built and activated, but most do not have the power to combat evil in a major way. Certain Matoran get the job, though, and physical upgrades come with that. Mentally they're still the same people; they will be affected by their experiences in the same way as Matoran would be. If a Matoran for example could be given a suit that gave them elemental power and mask usage, they would have the same responsibilities as Toa and would be affected psychologically in the same ways by their experiences. :)Probably the best analogy is of police officers or soldiers who are given power to protect their people, as well as authority over civilians when the civilians are in danger, etc. In terms of how they think of it, that is.Certainly they do want to comfort Matoran who are scared by the way. I forget about that scene you mentioned above exactly, but the important meaning of that idea can still work, it's just that they wouldn't think of it as an adult comforting a child. (Incidently it could be argued that Matoro was more mature than Kopaka, lol, due to his unique job as Nuju's translator and his skill at surviving in the wild without the benefit of Toa power.) It's really a hero comforting a civilian basically. :)Edit: I looked up the scene in the first comic. I can see how you might mistake that for a child being comforted, but knowing more about Matoro from other media, it's probably more the opposite. What happens is a Rahi knocks Matoro off a cliff. He's falling, and Kopaka jumps down, catches him, and then makes a platform of ice to land on before it's too late.Matoro was apparently struggling against Kopaka when the Toa caught him. A Rahi knocked him off, so probably the first thing he thought when he felt something catch him was that the flying Rahi had him, so he was struggling against what he thought was a Rahi! He was in the mode of "I'm strong enough to handle this myself." Kopaka spoke to identify himself since there wasn't time to wait for Matoro to figure it out on his own.Also, if he hadn't felt something catch him, he surely would have died. From what I have seen of disaster footage in the real world, panicking in the face of certain death is a human thing, not just a child thing. Watch Deadliest Catch for example. Some of the manliest men in the world fall overboard into deadly cold water sometimes on that show, and when they are pulled out, the emotions are running as strong as you could imagine among both rescuers and the rescued.Basically Kopaka did what he had to do to save Matoro's life.

About the higher pitched voices, that's just the movies interpretation, we haven't really heard voices outside of them. And the pitch wasn't significantly different either.
Forgot to reply about this earlier... There is a simple practical reason why their voices make sense to be higher pitched, which is that smaller beings simply tend to be that way. It can be more complicated than that of course, but in general smaller things make higher pitch. This is why for example in musical instruments the shorter strings on a harp or nearer holes on a flute (or equivalents in similar instruments) are for higher pitch, while longer strings are for deeper. Higher pitch of the violin compared to the cello, etc.
why do the three main things in the Matoran universe all relate to the three main stages of are universe?
The three basic size-based stages fit well with the hero cycle in the Matoran Universe, basically. Matoran have no Toa energy, while the giving of that and turning them into Toa increases their size (in the Core Dimension anyways). Becoming a Turaga involves the giving up of this energy so it makes sense to shrink again but not as much.The only part of it that doesn't obviously fit that is Turaga tending to be physically weaker than Matoran. But this can be explained (although I don't know if it has) as those with more experience going into supervisory roles (prior to sapience) and strength and hero activities aren't needed as much; the supervisors tend to be surrounded by Matoran and heroes to protect them. Thus to conserve resources strength is not given to them.Later, after sapience, that rigid formula for leadership certainly did not always hold true, but probably it was what the GBs intended for their nanotech, and it still did hold true many times. Edited by bonesiii

Well, I guess the three forms of Matoran life do sort of correspond, in a way, to the stages of human life (Matoran=youthful, Toa=adult, Turaga=elderly life), but I'd imagine that since their bodies, don't physically "age" in the sense of which we know, and they're just made and not born, I imagine there are not Matoran "children." Once that are older than others, meaning they've been around longer, but not like that.

Edited by Nuparu1995

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Vultraz was probably the best example of a Matoran being nothing like a child. Regarding the increase of maturity from Matoran to Toa, I would think that the GB's programmed Matoran to take on new roles upon becoming Toa, and this became a greater sense of responsibility when they gained sentience.As for calling each other "brother" or "sister", the meaning is more like "ally" or "comrade" as people working together towards the same purpose. Hence Lhikan's indignation at being called 'brother" by Nidhiki.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

As for calling each other "brother" or "sister", the meaning is more like "ally" or "comrade" as people working together towards the same purpose. Hence Lhikan's indignation at being called 'brother" by Nidhiki.
I recall that the references to Mata Nui and Makuta calling each other "brothers" was because of the common goal they supposedly had.As for the question, I agree with bonesiii on this. I remember that everyone was surprised at how "juvenile" Jaller and Takua were protrayed in MoL, with the cheesy lines. MNOLG Matoran were more realistic - tough little hardy survivors on an island for 1,000 years, defending themselves against wild animals and engaging in "adult" occupations such as weaving, boat piloting, mining, carving beautiful sculptures, and so on. Definitely not kids. They did play kolhii, but adults do engage in sports (football, for example - I don't care which type you're thinking of).Later, we saw them teaching, forging stuff, piloting aircraft... Not kiddy. It's just a movie personality myth that's easily busted. And even the Toa sounded a bit immature in the movies, anyway, so I don't think even the movies wanted to make the Matoran out as children and Toa as adults, rather to dumb down everybody to the age of the younger children watching.

As for calling each other "brother" or "sister", the meaning is more like "ally" or "comrade" as people working together towards the same purpose. Hence Lhikan's indignation at being called 'brother" by Nidhiki.
I recall that the references to Mata Nui and Makuta calling each other "brothers" was because of the common goal they supposedly had.As for the question, I agree with bonesiii on this. I remember that everyone was surprised at how "juvenile" Jaller and Takua were protrayed in MoL, with the cheesy lines. MNOLG Matoran were more realistic - tough little hardy survivors on an island for 1,000 years, defending themselves against wild animals and engaging in "adult" occupations such as weaving, boat piloting, mining, carving beautiful sculptures, and so on. Definitely not kids. They did play kolhii, but adults do engage in sports (football, for example - I don't care which type you're thinking of).Later, we saw them teaching, forging stuff, piloting aircraft... Not kiddy. It's just a movie personality myth that's easily busted. And even the Toa sounded a bit immature in the movies, anyway, so I don't think even the movies wanted to make the Matoran out as children and Toa as adults, rather to dumb down everybody to the age of the younger children watching.
Another argument is Hewkii and Macku. They were getting it on before Hewkiis transformation but that seemed to stop when he became toa. Wouldn't it be strange for a Toa to love a motoran on that way or is it totally acceptable in Bionicle ? Edited by SamH1995

Another argument is Hewkii and Macku. They were getting it on before Hewkiis transformation but that seemed to stop when he became toa. Wouldn't it be strange for a Toa to love a motoran on that way or is it totally acceptable in Bionicle ?
Romance in Bionicle is noncanon, anyway. Matoran and Toa can have close friendships, but never in a romantic sense.

Another argument is Hewkii and Macku. They were getting it on before Hewkiis transformation but that seemed to stop when he became toa. Wouldn't it be strange for a Toa to love a motoran on that way or is it totally acceptable in Bionicle ?
Romance in Bionicle is noncanon, anyway. Matoran and Toa can have close friendships, but never in a romantic sense.
I think it's because it would be completely pointless, as to romance nothing would follow, at least as how we think the relationship would go on.

Canonically Hewkii and Macku would still be close friends; they couldn't exactly chitchat while he was off saving the world, though, and now he's controlled by the golden being. His physical size has nothing to do with their friendship or not, but if they were both living in New Atero I imagine their friendship wouldn't be what it was because she would have a hard time relating to his new life as a hero.Also, seeing them as romantically involved, although that's not canon, wouldn't argue for Matoran being children. Adults have romantic relationships.If that had been canon, then considering only psychological romance is possible, him being a Toa might be awkward but it would simply be like a short adult loving a tall adult. I can see the point you were trying to make, but again, Hewkii as a Toa has simply not been around where Macku has been living, so even if they wanted to continue a romantic relationship it simply wasn't possible. No cellphones. :P

Canonically Hewkii and Macku would still be close friends; they couldn't exactly chitchat while he was off saving the world, though, and now he's controlled by the golden being. His physical size has nothing to do with their friendship or not, but if they were both living in New Atero I imagine their friendship wouldn't be what it was because she would have a hard time relating to his new life as a hero.Also, seeing them as romantically involved, although that's not canon, wouldn't argue for Matoran being children. Adults have romantic relationships.If that had been canon, then considering only psychological romance is possible, him being a Toa might be awkward but it would simply be like a short adult loving a tall adult.
Bonesiii you avatar looks rally like Kitas skull.OT: What I meant was that an "adult" wouldn't have a relation ship with a "child". Also what is this about the golden bein. I haven't been following the story to closely recently. Has it got out of the gladatorian stuff finally now?

Canonically Hewkii and Macku would still be close friends; they couldn't exactly chitchat while he was off saving the world, though, and now he's controlled by the golden being. His physical size has nothing to do with their friendship or not, but if they were both living in New Atero I imagine their friendship wouldn't be what it was because she would have a hard time relating to his new life as a hero.Also, seeing them as romantically involved, although that's not canon, wouldn't argue for Matoran being children. Adults have romantic relationships.If that had been canon, then considering only psychological romance is possible, him being a Toa might be awkward but it would simply be like a short adult loving a tall adult.
Bonesiii you avatar looks rally like Kitas skull.OT: What I meant was that an "adult" wouldn't have a relation ship with a "child". Also what is this about the golden bein. I haven't been following the story to closely recently. Has it got out of the gladatorian stuff finally now?
I think he's referring to the Skakdi Fusion, which has hypnotized the Toa Mahri. Now they're acting as its servants, if I'm not wrong.

OT: What I meant was that an "adult" wouldn't have a relation ship with a "child".
But two adults are more likely to have a serious relationship than two children. So if Hewkii and Macku had been in a romantic relationship originally it would argue more for them being adults than children.Of course we humans have invented this thing called teenagers lol, but I don't see how that would compare here. It's one second you're a Matoran, then you're a Toa. My point is, even if romance had been canon that does not help the argument that they were children as Matoran.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the matoran of Mata-Nui had to survive a thousand years of rahi attacks completely on their own. At the point that the Toa-Mata arrived, they were in many ways more mature than the Toa. However, on Metru-Nui, the Toa and matoran seemed to be in a more parent/child relationship. Although matoran are not literally children, on Metru-Nui they relied on the Toa (and Vahki, but the Vahki aren't much for conversation) for protection. They did not have to worry about fending for themselves, and in many ways served as the child's role in a parent/child relationship. Look at the Vakama/Lhikan relationship for example. Lhikan was a father figure to Vakama, and when Vakama was on his own he was lost.Viewed through this lens, LoMN is really a coming-of-age story. Vakama starts as a child (matoran) and becomes a toa, but is still unsure of himself, which parallels with the adolescent stage of human development. Eventually, Vakama grows and finally becomes an adult (toa) when he uses the mask of time to defeat Makuta.In that sense the matoran were "children", but on Mata-Nui they aren't because they were forced to "grow up" emotionally, although they were "biologically" adult the entire time.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that the matoran of Mata-Nui had to survive a thousand years of rahi attacks completely on their own. At the point that the Toa-Mata arrived, they were in many ways more mature than the Toa. However, on Metru-Nui, the Toa and matoran seemed to be in a more parent/child relationship. Although matoran are not literally children, on Metru-Nui they relied on the Toa (and Vahki, but the Vahki aren't much for conversation) for protection. They did not have to worry about fending for themselves, and in many ways served as the child's role in a parent/child relationship. Look at the Vakama/Lhikan relationship for example. Lhikan was a father figure to Vakama, and when Vakama was on his own he was lost.Viewed through this lens, LoMN is really a coming-of-age story. Vakama starts as a child (matoran) and becomes a toa, but is still unsure of himself, which parallels with the adolescent stage of human development. Eventually, Vakama grows and finally becomes an adult (toa) when he uses the mask of time to defeat Makuta.In that sense the matoran were "children", but on Mata-Nui they aren't because they were forced to "grow up" emotionally, although they were "biologically" adult the entire time.-don't touch my pocket protector
You have justm put into one post what I have peen trying to get across in a whole thread. Thanks man

However, on Metru-Nui, the Toa and matoran seemed to be in a more parent/child relationship. Although matoran are not literally children, on Metru-Nui they relied on the Toa (and Vahki, but the Vahki aren't much for conversation) for protection. They did not have to worry about fending for themselves,
While that's true, and I agree that on Mata Nui they had to "grow up fast" in that way due to the Rahi, let's keep in mind they spent thousands of years working, and working hard, in Metru Nui. It still doesn't seem much like children to me. More like industrial workers. Unless we want to see it as child labor lol.Also, Lhikan/Vakama would probably look like citizen to hero to us if Vakama wasn't smaller.

However, on Metru-Nui, the Toa and matoran seemed to be in a more parent/child relationship. Although matoran are not literally children, on Metru-Nui they relied on the Toa (and Vahki, but the Vahki aren't much for conversation) for protection. They did not have to worry about fending for themselves,
While that's true, and I agree that on Mata Nui they had to "grow up fast" in that way due to the Rahi, let's keep in mind they spent thousands of years working, and working hard, in Metru Nui. It still doesn't seem much like children to me. More like industrial workers. Unless we want to see it as child labor lol.Also, Lhikan/Vakama would probably look like citizen to hero to us if Vakama wasn't smaller.
I know the Matoran wouldn't be completely like OUR children. If that was the case, mo work would be done. But there is defiantly a child like element to them.

I know the Matoran wouldn't be completely like OUR children. If that was the case, mo work would be done. But there is defiantly a child like element to them.
Yes. But then there are usually childlike qualities to everybody, including the oldest humans, or Turaga, etc. I'm thinking Matau's tendency to play practical jokes as a Turaga for example.

Yes. But then there are usually childlike qualities to everybody, including the oldest humans, or Turaga, etc. I'm thinking Matau's tendency to play practical jokes as a Turaga for example.
Thats true. But this is Matau were are talking about

A lot of this is just the situation they are put through. Toa have to face deadly challenges and have a lot of pressure to keep others save- that's a fast and surefire way for someone to mature. Once they have reached their destiny, they turn into Turaga, which are physically like older people. They can't do much actively, and are expected to give out advice, so they act like elders.Matoran aren't children- they just don't have the responsibilities Toa and Turaga do.

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------