The Power Lance

The Power Lance was probably the most powerful (Toa Tool) weapon in the Bionicle story. I mean, it could amplify one's power by how many times? A flicker of light turns into a kanoka disk sized bomb? But then Takanuva throws it away?! I mean, that's the most powerful toa tool ever! You could have kept it, or maybe have given it to a toa in need. But instead, you leave it on the ground in exchange for the Twin Light Staffs. You also abandoned a perfectly good laser gun! What's wrong with you?!

What's wrong with you?!
We could always blame the set designers. :P Good questions though, I dunno if there are good answers; maybe someone else knows of some...

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I don't think there was anything said in the story that Takanuva threw it away. Most likely, it was either stolen from him or destroyed in battle while he was fighting a foe. Those are the only reasons I would see Takanuva switching to two Lights Staffs as his weapons.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Where'd he get the other light staff? I would guess that his power lance was destroyed or lost, I mean, Makuta's reign wasn't an easy time. I wonder if he ended up fighting a Shadow Takanuva and taking his second staff from it.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Takanuva's first Staff of Light was taken away from him by... I think his Turaga self in the Kingdom alternate universe in exchange for the Power Lance. Something about it being ten thousand years out of fashion.As for exchanging that particular awesome weapon for a pair of weapons like his old one... nostalgia? :P I don't know. The most BS01 says on the matter is

Takanuva found a cache of weapons, and the Twin Light Staffs. His Power Lance and Midak Skyblaster were abandoned.
Edited by Lielac

I write stories, on occasion. Finishing them... yeah, uh. That's another thing entirely.

Avatar made with the Rayg Kit 2.5, and featuring Lilak, Toa of Lightning.

She is totally, totally not a shameless self-insert. Y'know, except for the part where she is. :D

Actually, are his twin staffs supposed to be the same as his original? In the set, they were different. That could be artistic license, but they could just be generic staffs that are called Light Staffs because he's using them as a Toa tool. Any weapon (or any melee weapon, at least) can be used as a Toa tool and named for its user's element. If they are identical to his original weapon, the only way I can think of him getting them is from one of his alternative universe counterparts that Tridax abducted.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

The thing about the Power Lance is that it was designed to help him conserve his Light powers, because use of them only allowed more Darkness within him. Same with the Midak Skyblaster; anything that allowed the minimum expenditure of energy with the maximum effect was beneficial to him at the time, because he could only afford to use so much of his Light power. Not saying that getting rid of the weapons was the smartest move (and for THAT, we can blame the set designers) but without any Shadow to contend with, the Lance and Skyblaster were not necessary.

That is a good question...I guess it was for set reasons, to make the weapon to scale, but I guess some things in the storyline don't make sense. But, in any case, I'd definitely pick the Power Lance over Twin Light Staffs, yeah. :lol:

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Well, I know that BS01 says he abandoned them, but was that ever officially stated? He could have just put them into storage and switched to the Light Staffs (it's "Staves" >.>) for a while. And if not, well, that's my headcanon and I'm sticking to it, because I too prefer the Lance/Skyblaster.Also, what VIII. Axel said.

coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |

But still,"Let's abandon a weapon that can amplify power beams and a powerful blaster in an easily accessible crate while taking these average Twin Light Staffs against these hordes of zombies Rahkshi!"That seems rather ... unreasonable :P

99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

It occurred to me that Takanuva might have been slightly weakened on his departure from Karda Nui. Karda Nui has a great deal of natural light in it, which would have strengthened him. Later, he would have been weaker in terms of physical strength and it would have been more difficult to carry the thing around. A big blaster is no good if you don't have the strength to aim it.

It occurred to me that Takanuva might have been slightly weakened on his departure from Karda Nui. Karda Nui has a great deal of natural light in it, which would have strengthened him. Later, he would have been weaker in terms of physical strength and it would have been more difficult to carry the thing around.A big blaster is no good if you don't have the strength to aim it.
Ah, that makes perfect sense!Edit: Here's some BS01 quotes:
Upon being exposed to the energy of Karda Nui, Takanuva was enlarged in size and granted an increase in strength. Upon returning to Metru Nui, his size was reduced to normal, and he is now in his original form.
When Takanuva entered The Kingdom Alternate Universe, his Staff of Light was taken from him because weapons were not permitted inside the Kingdom of the Great Spirit. He was later given a Power Lance and a Midak Skyblaster by a Nynrah Ghost. The Power Lance acts differently than most Toa tools, as it can amplify elemental power in addition to channeling it.Takanuva eventually discarded his Power Lance and Midak Skyblaster in exchange for the Twin Light Staffs.
Reading between the lines there, in his new restored form it should be harder to carry the Power Lance, but since he was weak in light power previously he carried it anyways, and that became easier for a time in Karda Nui. Afterwards no.So yeah, seems to fit everything. :) Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, Takanuva recieved the weapon some dimensions prior to being in Karda Nui (and had no idea that his size would have been increased at the time), so I wouldn't necessarily call it that. If it had been too cumbersome, he would have not used it, nor would I think a Nynrah Ghost have given it to him in the first place.There really isn't a significant story reason behind the change. There might be some plausible reasons, but the specific motives for the original weapons didn't apply, so he could afford to change them out.

Well, Takanuva recieved the weapon some dimensions prior to being in Karda Nui (and had no idea that his size would have been increased at the time), so I wouldn't necessarily call it that. If it had been too cumbersome, he would have not used it, nor would I think a Nynrah Ghost have given it to him in the first place.
But at the time he had no other option. Also:
After being cured by the Klakk, however, these effects have been removed, and Takanuva commands the abilities of Light once more.
So now his light power is restored to full power. Prior to going to Karda Nui, because of the Shadow Leech attack, he had a good reason to keep carrying the heavy staff to make up for that weakness. But now he doesn't. :)

Yes, but I think wielding a weapon that you find awkward and difficult to use is far more dangerous to do, even if it does have a beneficial side-effect. And it's not like he couldn't have picked any other weapon, nor would his Turaga counterpart give him a difficult to use weapon.He doesn't have a specific need for the weapon, yes, as I said before. But was there an explicit reason to change it out? Nope. Just a set choice, nothing more.

Yes, but I think wielding a weapon that you find awkward and difficult to use is far more dangerous to do, even if it does have a beneficial side-effect. And it's not like he couldn't have picked any other weapon, nor would his Turaga counterpart give him a difficult to use weapon.
Well I'm not up on all the alternate timeline stuff so maybe my judgement there is lacking. But he did take that one, and the explanation does make sense. A question I have is if other lighter weapons he could have chosen from would give him as much aid to makeup for his weakness with light?It's also quite possible he simply didn't realize at the time how the heaviness of the weapon would wear you out over time, and may have regretted that choice soon after leaving that dimension. :shrugs:

Hey, but where did he abandon it? If it is really that huge, there wouldn't be a place large enough to conceal it...

99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

Sure there would. Big universe. :)An explanation I would like would be if he gave it to a titan for the battle. I wonder where he got the twin light staffs from, too? He could have hidden it there. :shrugs:

I hold that when he knew he was going up against an army of Rahkshi and possibly other threats under Makuta's rule, it would make more sense to keep the weapon that lets you effectively multiply your reserves of elemental energy, especially when you are the sole Toa of Light in existence. The question is whether or not 2 x Light Staff would allow him to zap more Rahkshi at once than one Power Lance.

I hold that when he knew he was going up against an army of Rahkshi and possibly other threats under Makuta's rule, it would make more sense to keep the weapon that lets you effectively multiply your reserves of elemental energy, especially when you are the sole Toa of Light in existence. The question is whether or not 2 x Light Staff would allow him to zap more Rahkshi at once than one Power Lance.
He didn't need to zap Rahkshi, thanks to a little help from the Mask of Life. And besides, without that, there was no way that Takanuva could have killed all the Rahkshi on his own anyway, or even make a sizable dent in their numbers. The Toa were following the Rahkshi to try to figure out what Makuta's plans were, not trying to get rid of them. They started fighting the Rahkshi only when it was what was needed - to help the Bara Magnans - and to get the Golden Armour to help, once it was there.But, let's say I'm an outlaw, and on the run, and I have a choice between two (lighter) pistols and a (heavy) AK-47. I'm going to go with the pistols, because I could carry them easier and fire them faster.The powers of "law and order" in Takanuva's universe (i.e. Makuta and Rahkshi) are after Takanuva. The Toa's on the run, and he has a choice between two pistol-like objects, which are lighter and easier to use, or a heavy AK-47 Power Lance that will drag him down. His choice of weaponry was not a factor of fighting an army of Rahkshi - that's not what he was considering when he choose the weapons. Rather, he was trying to survive in a universe that wanted him dead, and he made his choice of weapons accordingly.

He didn't need to zap Rahkshi, thanks to a little help from the Mask of Life. And besides, without that, there was no way that Takanuva could have killed all the Rahkshi on his own anyway, or even make a sizable dent in their numbers.
He could not have known that the Ignika would give Tahu the Golden Armor of almighty Rahkshi-killing before he got outside the MU, at which point he already had his new weapons. And since the Power Lance was introduced as follows:
The Toa took the lance, aimed it, and focused on releasing just the tiniest sample of his elemental light. The next instant, a blast of energy blew a hole the size of a Kanoka disk in the wall.
...that tells me that "minor flashlight" --> "cannonball". Imagine what he could do with such a weapon if he put his unchained power into it. The standard Kamehameha and possibly even Final Flash at full power would be a good comparison, I believe.
But, let's say I'm an outlaw, and on the run, and I have a choice between two (lighter) pistols and a (heavy) AK-47. I'm going to go with the pistols, because I could carry them easier and fire them faster.
I believe that if you ask a soldier, he wold prefer to stick with his rifle, if only because its firepower can be more intimidating and deliver more in the event that you need it. Takanuva was, as you say, on the run. He would not want to provoke a fight all the time, but rather eliminate what resistance he would face quickly. In that regards, the Power Lance would be best, for high power dispensed in a short time at a small energy cost.I concede that Takanuva might very well prefer[(i] light weapons (pardon the pun) despite the tactical advantages of a heavier one; the same way I indeed would prefer a one-handed sword over a two-handed one. :)

I also wonder why did he not keep his Blaster, considering that his is just the same size of other Toa's, and the other Toa seemed to have no trouble carrying those around. Having a secondary weapon that can shoot light blasts without wasting his elemental energy reserve or to channel his own EP is useful.

He needed the Power Lance when he got it because his light power was so limited. When his light was restored, he didn't need it anymore, I guess.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I hold that when he knew he was going up against an army of Rahkshi and possibly other threats under Makuta's rule, it would make more sense to keep the weapon that lets you effectively multiply your reserves of elemental energy, especially when you are the sole Toa of Light in existence.
The thing is, there's more to a big battle than projectile battle -- you need to be able to defend yourself in melee battle. Not really certain that would hold true with Rahkshi, but they do seem to use their staffs however needed, and if too close to aim a blast, I imagine they'd swing. And then having weapons light enough to move rapidly would be important.
The question is whether or not 2 x Light Staff would allow him to zap more Rahkshi at once than one Power Lance.
He would be able to focus out of both hands, anyways. Perhaps not at the same time, but say he's melee attacked on both sides; he could blast one while melee blocking the other, then turn and blast the other faster than having to bring the same weapon around for both.
But, let's say I'm an outlaw, and on the run, and I have a choice between two (lighter) pistols and a (heavy) AK-47. I'm going to go with the pistols, because I could carry them easier and fire them faster.
And in this case, two combination swords/pistols, because of the threat of Rahkshi advancing on him and engaging in melee battle. Versus a single combination lance/cannon, as it were, that he was no not strong enough to weild as easily.Which BTW is another reason he may have kept the lance prior to going to Karda Nui -- he wasn't going into battle in the same sense as afterwards. Yarr... Could it have made sense if he kept the lance? Yes, but given that he didn't, these things do strike me as good answers.
I also wonder why did he not keep his Blaster, considering that his is just the same size of other Toa's, and the other Toa seemed to have no trouble carrying those around. Having a secondary weapon that can shoot light blasts without wasting his elemental energy reserve or to channel his own EP is useful.
I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. :P Entering a battle with it would limit his melee options, plus once you fire four shots, it's not going to recharge fast enough to be of any help.fishers is right that he didn't make the switch knowing he'd enter a battle though, but the way life in TerryMak's world was described it was much like a constant risk of battle. Mobility may mean life or death even more so there since he controlled the very environment. So heavy and clunky are not good matches for it.

People change weapons all the time, perhaps the staffs are made out of protosteel or something. He might have given the lance to a different Toa (Gravity, Psionics, Sonics, and Plasma Toa could use it very efficiently), lost it, broke it, etc. For all we know he could have temporarily switched it so he could have better weapons for close-combat, since twin blades are easier to slice stuff with than a big, bulky staff.I will note that Takanuva does have the Mask of Light, which grants Toa-level control of Light, so he could use that if his element energy reserve gets low. The Skyblaster is not as relevant when that is counted in, as well as the fact that it only works if it has a sufficient amount of light present. It is a perfect weapon in Karda-Nui, where it is very bright, but Takanuva was fighting in the literal shadow of two planet-sized robots. It simply wouldn't be that effective and it wouldn't be worth lugging such a bulky weapon if it wouldn't do anything.-TN05

Edited by Thor (TN05)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Midiak Skyblasters work outside of Karda Nui, or at least not very well, due to the fact that the blasters draw light from the environment, and outside that area the absorption feature may not draw enough light to be useful (like, you might get four shots every few days). Especially with the Master of Shadows in charge of the universe.

He didn't need to zap Rahkshi, thanks to a little help from the Mask of Life. And besides, without that, there was no way that Takanuva could have killed all the Rahkshi on his own anyway, or even make a sizable dent in their numbers.
He could not have known that the Ignika would give Tahu the Golden Armor of almighty Rahkshi-killing before he got outside the MU, at which point he already had his new weapons. And since the Power Lance was introduced as follows:
The Toa took the lance, aimed it, and focused on releasing just the tiniest sample of his elemental light. The next instant, a blast of energy blew a hole the size of a Kanoka disk in the wall.
...that tells me that "minor flashlight" --> "cannonball". Imagine what he could do with such a weapon if he put his unchained power into it. The standard Kamehameha and possibly even Final Flash at full power would be a good comparison, I believe.
Takanuva didn't know that when he choose his weapons. All he knew was that he had to survive in Teridax's universe.
I believe that if you ask a soldier, he wold prefer to stick with his rifle, if only because its firepower can be more intimidating and deliver more in the event that you need it. Takanuva was, as you say, on the run. He would not want to provoke a fight all the time, but rather eliminate what resistance he would face quickly. In that regards, the Power Lance would be best, for high power dispensed in a short time at a small energy cost.I concede that Takanuva might very well prefer[(i] light weapons (pardon the pun) despite the tactical advantages of a heavier one; the same way I indeed would prefer a one-handed sword over a two-handed one. :)
Outlaws =/= soldiers. And remember the Toa code. The Lance, if it is as powerful as you say, would have slaughtered or blinded foes, which is counter to what he wants. And there is probably a time delay involved in channeling the power through this big lance as opposed to a little staff, which matters when blasting Rahkshi or other things coming at your from every side.

I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. :P Entering a battle with it would limit his melee options, plus once you fire four shots, it's not going to recharge fast enough to be of any help.fishers is right that he didn't make the switch knowing he'd enter a battle though, but the way life in TerryMak's world was described it was much like a constant risk of battle. Mobility may mean life or death even more so there since he controlled the very environment. So heavy and clunky are not good matches for it.
Well, Idk why you guys keep saying that the Twin Light Staffs aren't heavy weapons, especially when they have the length of Takanuva's legs :PBTW, I wonder the Nynrah Ghosts in this main universe have made the same weapon. It would be awesome to see someone esle of other elements to use it...

BTW, I wonder the Nynrah Ghosts in this main universe have made the same weapon. It would be awesome to see someone esle of other elements to use it...
It doesn't really matter if they've made it before, but they can make it now, seeing that Takanuva's lance is still in the MU somewhere, and they can copy it, maybe. Or someone else can just use the orginal lance. But I'm not sure I want to witness Tahu's rage when he has a Power Lance. Perhaps keeping the two of them apart wouldn't be a bad idea.

Well, Idk why you guys keep saying that the Twin Light Staffs aren't heavy weapons, especially when they have the length of Takanuva's legs
Well, they look lighter, anyways. :P We can't know that for sure, though, no. Here's something else to consider I thought of. The staffs are similar to his original Tool, which was similar to a Kolhii Stick, and he may have felt more confident with those than the lance. A less clumsy shape.

Well, Idk why you guys keep saying that the Twin Light Staffs aren't heavy weapons, especially when they have the length of Takanuva's legs
Well, they look lighter, anyways. :P We can't know that for sure, though, no. Here's something else to consider I thought of. The staffs are similar to his original Tool, which was similar to a Kolhii Stick, and he may have felt more confident with those than the lance. A less clumsy shape.
I would agree on the less clumsy part, but I disagree on the confidence part. So far he only used the original light staff once for combat, and that was when he fought Makuta (in a Kolhii match... ). After that he moved to Metru Nui which I assume he might have used it to fight off a few Rahi, but it wasn't long before he got captured by the OoMN. In fact, the Power Lance had been used more than the light staff, so if anything he should be more comfortable with the lance than the staffs :P

So far he only used the original light staff once for combat
My point was he felt confident in at least that one Kolhii move, from previous practice with similar tools. I'm assuming the weight plays a major factor in that; that the staffs are balanced just right for it, etc. I admit it's more speculative than other theories given already but just from looking at their visual portrayals and the sets it seems to fit to me. :)

My point was he felt confident in at least that one Kolhii move, from previous practice with similar tools. I'm assuming the weight plays a major factor in that; that the staffs are balanced just right for it, etc. I admit it's more speculative than other theories given already but just from looking at their visual portrayals and the sets it seems to fit to me. :)
I think it was tactical - with the Power Lance, he could take on one opponent and perhaps another if there was enough light for the Skyblaster to work. With the Light Staffs, he can take on two enemies at once. From a tactical standpoint, when facing hordes of Rahkshi, that may be good enough. Also, many Toa use two identical weapons, so perhaps that had something to do with it - the Toa Nuva did it so maybe they gave him combat tips on how to use two tools properly or something. :shrugs:-TN05

I think it was tactical - with the Power Lance, he could take on one opponent and perhaps another if there was enough light for the Skyblaster to work. With the Light Staffs, he can take on two enemies at once. From a tactical standpoint, when facing hordes of Rahkshi, that may be good enough. Also, many Toa use two identical weapons, so perhaps that had something to do with it - the Toa Nuva did it so maybe they gave him combat tips on how to use two tools properly or something. :shrugs:-TN05
Well I don't think that with 2 Light Staffs you can take on 2 enemies at once... But that's my opinion onlyI think that the reason is for defense - you can block out more projectiles with 2 staffs than a lance, and that gives him an edge in the battle as the enemies mostly compose of beings with vision powers.

Well I don't think that with 2 Light Staffs you can take on 2 enemies at once... But that's my opinion onlyI think that the reason is for defense - you can block out more projectiles with 2 staffs than a lance, and that gives him an edge in the battle as the enemies mostly compose of beings with vision powers.
If Takanuva has Rahkshi on either side, he could launch light blasts from both weapons. In a situation where you have dozens of Rahkshi coming at you, this sort of thing could be very beneficial.You make a good point about blocking projectiles, that could be a solid use as well. He could launch lasers from both staffs, for instance, if he was being attacked by heat or laser vision powers; the bolts might cancel out.-TN05