What's the Point?

The problem is that the Adaptive Armor doesn't always have flight gear. It adapts to the general environment - underwater, the Nuva'd probably get scuba gear like the Mahri did, or in a desert, they might get eye shields and sand protectionOn the other hand, you have a good point about the Kaukau, as the armor can just shift to allow water breathing - unless some other Water Toa/Glatorian tries to pull the "drowning on dry land" trick on her. It's really situational, I suppose.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

The problem is that the Adaptive Armor doesn't always have flight gear. It adapts to the general environment - underwater, the Nuva'd probably get scuba gear like the Mahri did, or in a desert, they might get eye shields and sand protectionOn the other hand, you have a good point about the Kaukau, as the armor can just shift to allow water breathing - unless some other Water Toa/Glatorian tries to pull the "drowning on dry land" trick on her. It's really situational, I suppose.
Gali could always activate the Kaukau to choke her enemy, but since the Makuta don't breathe air it wouldn't be effective. As for Lewa, if his armor somehow broke a Miru would be very helpful, to say the least.-TN05 Edited by Toa Nidhiki05

Gali could always activate the Kaukau to choke her enemy,
Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic, but how exactly would she do that? If I remember correctly the Kaukau only allows the wearer (or nearby people in the Nuva form's case) to be able to breathe while submerged as if they were on land. :confused:

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic, but how exactly would she do that? If I remember correctly the Kaukau only allows the wearer (or nearby people in the Nuva form's case) to be able to breathe while submerged as if they were on land. :confused:
I think the idea is that you'd "share" the power with a nearby enemy that's doing quite fine breathing air, thank you very much, and force them to breathe water, of which there isn't much around. It's unclear, though, if that would actually work - does the Kaukau actually change your breathing, or only add the ability to breathe water? Or does it actually generate air for the user, and it could be used as an oxygen tank?

IrMSNn3.png

I think the idea is that you'd "share" the power with a nearby enemy that's doing quite fine breathing air, thank you very much, and force them to breathe water, of which there isn't much around. It's unclear, though, if that would actually work - does the Kaukau actually change your breathing, or only add the ability to breathe water? Or does it actually generate air for the user, and it could be used as an oxygen tank?
I believe it functions by replacing the ability to breathe air with breathing water, since Greg told me a while back that it could be used to make an enemy suffocate. I'll see if I can find the PM.-TN05 Edited by Toa Nidhiki05

I believe it functions by replacing the ability to breathe air with breathing water, since Greg told me a while back that it could be used to make an enemy suffocate. I'll see if I can find the PM.-TN05
Okay, I see. Like Krazy, I wasn't sure exactly what the specific function was. But if it replaces ability to breathe air with water, then it definitely works like you suggested. Sorry for getting us off-topic, LOL.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Because they'd had those Kanohi for a while, and they didn't feel like changing them? Besides, doesn't each Toa Nuva still have all six masks? If one or two becomes somewhat redundant, they still have several left to use properly.~B~
Seems they stopped using all six after they became Nuva to me. They switched masks a bit when they were Nuva in the comics, but not much. After that... they never really did again, which I found weird.

As those are the masks they prefer to wear by default, they were wearing them when they received their Adaptive Armor, and so it was those masks that were reforged to be adaptive along with the rest of their equipment. Maybe the rest of the Kanohi Nuva were so reforged, as well. But also, the walls of Karda Nui interfere with summoning masks from Suva, so they couldn't change masks once they entered anyway.

Edited by The Iron Toa

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

They can still share the powers with others who don't have adaptive armor, should someone else need to hover or breathe underwater.In addition to the suffocate (till unconscious only of course) option, Lewa could make an enemy levitate into a ceiling as an attack as well.But I do think it's likely that this wasn't thought through. 2008's masks didn't seem to get much thought put into them like 2001. It took me, for example, to even define what the shapes on the Matoran's faces were, heh (thanks to Greg canonizing that idea). I think the story team had moved on from the constant focus on mask shapes, and quite appropriately. It got old after a while, but we as fans do tend to want to think about it still. So maybe if we had been in charge, we would have had Lewa and Gali pick different masks.On the other hand, the two mask powers really do fit well with them. What other powers could we as fans even agree on for them to choose, really? Levitation goes with Air, and Water Breathing goes with Water. Even with the adaptive armor that correlation makes sense (keeping in mind the backup thing too).And if they had other powers, it would either have to be a dupe of another Toa Nuva's power, or it would not be a Nuva mask, unless more were specially made for them. Admittedly that is possible, but I get the impression there wasn't time for such detailed thinking through at the time. :shrugs:If it wasn't a Nuva mask, then they couldn't share the powers. And the correlation makes even more sense considering they might need to share the powers with others, when using their element. Gali could share the ability to breathe water while taking others through water, for example, or more likely Lewa could enable others to fly as he created wind to propel them.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

For Lewa, the adaptive armor gave him rockets for flight, but his mask would allow him to hover in place. For Gali, she can breathe water before the armour shifts - it might take a little time to shift, and she would be free of such encumbrances like the Mahri tubes. This would allow for more freedom of movement underwater.

Also

Nuva version of Masks allows sharing of powers. Gali could create a water sphere around her head and use the Kaukau on her enemy...Back on the topic,It would be useful to keep those masks, Nuva or not, in case the armor broke and lost its adaptive powers....
99.9% of BIONICLE fans forgot about Podu. If you happen to be the 0.1% that still remember him, copy and paste this into your sig.

I can't imagine that you would literally force the Nuva mask power onto someone. I always pictured it as giving the option to tap into the power, and you have to concentrate on your own in order to activate it. That better fits the definition of the word "share" that accompanied the Nuva mask descriptions.As to why they didn't change, well, not everybody had a Miru. Maybe it was (somewhat) redundant for Lewa to have one, but that didn't make the armor pointless at all, especially not for everybody else. Remember, they couldn't access their Kanohi while in Karda Nui anyhow.

I can't imagine that you would literally force the Nuva mask power onto someone. I always pictured it as giving the option to tap into the power, and you have to concentrate on your own in order to activate it. That better fits the definition of the word "share" that accompanied the Nuva mask descriptions.
Well this is where having that quote would come in handy. :P But if Gali can suffocate (to stun) a target, then presumably all the Nuva can project the power onto others.Also, what if for example while Gali flooded a place, someone got knocked out? Not being able to force the power would mean she couldn't save them from drowning. Or what if someone is knocked out and falls off a cliff? Lewa could still share Levitation with them and save them. Offense uses are not the only options there.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)