The Official Star Trek Topic

Xinlo

• 2 months later...

Hehe, yay!In other news, it seems that the title of the next Trek movie has been revealed:

Star Trek Into Darkness

Honestly, the title doesn't do much for me...

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Nor me. Hopefully it'll be better than the name suggests. Also happy 46th anniversary of TOS, everyone! Love the google doodle haha.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

• 2 months later...

The synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness has been released:

In Summer 2013, pioneering director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.
When the crew of the Enterprise is called back home, they find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization has detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis.
With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Official topics can't die. :PI loved the 2009 movie. It was on TV today and I couldn't help but watch it again.

f9Qcky7.png

:kaukau: Hey, I also liked The Search for Spock. Seeing Kirk get heartbroken like that was pretty interesting. Granted, they brought Spock back pretty quick, but it worked surprisingly well. I have a special love for that movie, and in my mind it's about equal with Wrath of Khan. Perhaps that's because I watch them always as a back-to-back experience and just find that story arc pretty powerful. Also, Robin Curtis plays an awesome Saavik. Saavik's cool either way, though. You're right about that point, though, that they aren't at all like the episodes.

It doesn't have the same feel to it as a regular Trek episode. Episodes from TNG and DS9 made you think more than just pew pew phasers and tattooed "Romulans".

See, the thing here is that they shouldn't feel like an episode. They style has to be different and so does the story. There has to be something big emotionally, something that distinguished it as a movie, and I think they managed to do it here. They took risks, broke the status quo, made a story that also had a broad narrative that challenged and redefined the characters (just like the Khan/Spock storyline did), promised more development, and they blew up the planet Vulcan. Yes, they certainly dared to take big risks, and I love it when writers do that for their larger, official stories. Usually those risks are rewarded.

Speaking of which, I actually didn't feel that with First Contact. I haven't seen other Star Trek movies, so I couldn't compare it, but knowing that it came from a background of many, many episodes, I didn't feel that it truly challenged the status quo and went beyond an extended episode. I'm glad that it's famous and that there's a Star Trek movie to add to the roaster of beloved Star Trek films, but I'm just curious to know why most fans would consider it to be one of the best. I just know that the personal story of Khan/Spock was far more fulfilling. Of course, it does help that Those two were set farther into the future after the crew's main voyages. It feels off having a big story set during the main voyages of the crew, which to my impression was the setting of First Contact (and again, I must repeat that it was awesome and probably deserving of its acclaim as one of the best, although I still don't understand why). Star Trek, meanwhile, went the opposite direction of Wrath of Khan and went into the past, covering Kirk and Spock's origins from youth, which was a brilliant idea. I also appreciate that, while creating their own theme that added to the pantheon of Star Trek music, there was a tribute to the old credit yodels of the original series, which in my memory none of the other films actually did.

Just some thoughts. Maybe they could have been divided into more paragraphs. I hope someone can describe to me what makes First Contact an exception.

Oh hai, the first Star Trek Into Darkness trailer just came out.

My excitement just went through the roof.

f9Qcky7.png

:kaukau: I just watched the trailer. It looks really cool. The villain looks cool, and the bits with the Enterprise going through the water looks cool, because we always need more action from the Enterprise. But what gets at me is how this completely feels like it was inspired by The Dark Knight, in part because of the villain monologue but especially because of the repeated blaring bass notes. It also needs more Spock.

Speaking of needing more Spock, the last movie didn't have enough of Bones. When they come out with a third movie, Bones should be the focus. He's always gets the least attention.

Star Trek Into Darkness character spoilers:

Well, Alice Eve is playing Carol Marcus and Benedict Cumbrbatch is playing a character named John Harrison (we'll see if that's his real name). :P

f9Qcky7.png

:kaukau: My response to that:

After rewatching that trailer again, I totally think that's Gary Mitchell. I mean, I remember when I first saw that part where he's swinging that giant piece of metal and jumping really high, and I wondered how he could possibly do that, even in zero gravity. Then the thought of Gary Mitchell came to me and it totally would make sense.

It's also really cool to have Carol Marcus as a character. A brilliant play by them, since she never had any real background in The Wrath of Khan, so it's awesome to see how this can be yet another way of going about telling origin stories that newcomers will find fun and fans will totally get.

I'm really not psyched for this movie now. I still hope, but it seems everyone's complaints about the last one (which I did not understand) I van find basis for in this trailer. It doesn't seem likeStar Trek at all. But I will still go watch it opening night in uniform.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

I have one too, but it's a size too big.

Miscalculation from the US size to European size...

f9Qcky7.png

• 3 months later...

DS9 is great, yup.

Also, the first expansion for Star Trek Online, called Legacy of Romulus will be available in May.

f9Qcky7.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not the biggest fan of TNG, DS9, etc. TOS all the way - after watching Generations and First Contact and having trouble staying awake through both...yeah. First Contact was okay, having a Picard "breakdown" and the bad Cochran time-displacement jokes, but it still struck me as boring.

The newest movies I have mixed feelings about. I'll probably see the new one eventually,

if only to verify/disprove the theory that the villain is Khan.

The 2009 one I liked when I first saw it, but after seeing TOS in it's entirety, I must say it didn't come off good the second time. Spock was way out of character IMO. Kirk was incredibly raunchy - over the top even for him. :wince:

Edited by fishers64

The newest movies I have mixed feelings about. I'll probably see the new one eventually,

if only to verify/disprove the theory that the villain is Khan.

The 2009 one I liked when I first saw it, but after seeing TOS in it's entirety, I must say it didn't come off good the second time. Spock was way out of character IMO. Kirk was incredibly raunchy - over the top even for him. :wince:

I had this exact situation. I watched J.J.'s apparently awesome Star Trek movie. About a year ago, I became totally hooked on TOS and especially TNG. After watching through the 2009 version, I felt uneasy about the unwarranted scene with Kirk and green lady. The plot line itself was both unoriginal and uninteresting. Oddly enough, however, I have high hopes about Into Darkness... :P

:s:

Edited by Skrade