What Happened to Canisters?

I just started thinking about it now but, what happened to Canisters? Granted, throwing away bags is easier but canisters can double up as part containers or even be used for fan story purposes in similar ways to Toa, Bohrok and Rahkshi canisters from the Bionicle line. Was it a cost-cutting measure or what? I just think it's strange and annoying to buy a large, thick bag that's difficult to open, and then there's a bunch of smaller bags inside it, all of which has to be disposed of and can't be used for any further purpose.

Current (still-living) BZRPG Characters:
LITOZEN (Toa of Sonics) SANCHII (Toa of Air)
THENTYLE (Toa of Earth) MALKAN (Ta-Matoran)

CELITE (Turaga of Lightning)

Well bags are cheaper. I've only seen bionicle canisters. The thing is that canisters need more plastic and design. As far as i have seen bio cans had places to attach rhotuka, kanoka, masks. They also have small "easter eggs". You can even see the 1.0 cans. They were pretty much a copy of STARS, so less payment for design.

Well bags are cheaper. I've only seen bionicle canisters. The thing is that canisters need more plastic and design. As far as i have seen bio cans had places to attach rhotuka, kanoka, masks. They also have small "easter eggs". You can even see the 1.0 cans. They were pretty much a copy of STARS, so less payment for design.

They were also in Knights Kingdom. Infact the last wave of Knights Kingdom had metal canisters!

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

They were also in Knights Kingdom. Infact the last wave of Knights Kingdom had metal canisters!

Oh yeah. Well i've mostly been with bionicle and haven't seen many older lego themes. But do you really mean metal canisters?! WHOAH!

Oh yeah. Well i've mostly been with bionicle and haven't seen many older lego themes. But do you really mean metal canisters?! WHOAH!

Yeah, they were awesome. I think it was in 2006 maybe. Not too sure about that. But yeah, you're right. No canisters=Lower prices. I mean theyre cool I guess. Depends why you're buying the set.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I just started thinking about it now but, what happened to Canisters? Granted, throwing away bags is easier but canisters can double up as part containers or even be used for fan story purposes in similar ways to Toa, Bohrok and Rahkshi canisters from the Bionicle line. Was it a cost-cutting measure or what? I just think it's strange and annoying to buy a large, thick bag that's difficult to open, and then there's a bunch of smaller bags inside it, all of which has to be disposed of and can't be used for any further purpose.

The bags can be reused just as easily as canisters: they are designed to be durable and resealable. Additionally, unlike canisters, the foil bags can be pressed flat when empty, meaning they are a lot easier to keep as far as space is concerned. I imagine these factors, together with cost, were the LEGO Group's motivation for switching to foil bags instead of canisters.And in fact, it's not just canisters that have been replaced with foil bags. In 2012, both the small and medium price points were put in bags, when previously only the small sets had been in canisters and the medium sets had been in boxes. This year, even the large sets at the $20 price point are being put in foil bags, simply because it's better to have a resealable container with a lot of shelf presence than to have a plain cardboard box that can't be reused without a lot of difficulty.The bags aren't that difficult to open anyway. Run across them just above the zipper with one blade of a sharp pair of scissors (or, if you have one, a pocket knife or X-Acto knife) and you can usually open them without even badly damaging the front graphics. Certainly a lot better than the Toa Mahri blister packs by a longshot. And to be honest I kind of wish TLG had transitioned to bags long ago, considering the huge boxes of canisters taking up space in my room. And transporting a bunch of sets tightly packed into bags is a lot easier than trying to transport a dozen canisters and even more boxes to and from college each year. There's a reason Ziploc tends to be the preferred means of storage and transport for a lot of AFOLs doing the convention circuit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's probably, as others have said, that the plastic is down a bit, and who kept all the containers they bought, except me?

I did. Part of the reason I'm quite glad they switched to bags. They take up less space to keep while still remaining just as functional. I still have a huge box of canisters in my bedroom that I need to someday, somehow deal with.

Bags are cheaper so they go with bags. Although i miss the canisters, they made for great transports to and fro.

But that's the thing: the bags for the Hero Factory sets are just as reusable for storage as canisters are! Granted, you can't stack them to the ceiling or use them for anything that needs a rigid container, but as far as storing pieces is concerned they're sturdy, resealable, and a lot more space-efficient than canisters tended to be (since if they're storing less than their full capacity, they can be compressed, and if they're empty they can be flattened out completely). There's a reason why a lot of MOCists transport their MOCs and loose parts in Ziploc bags rather than, say, Pringles containers.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...