Asperger's Syndrome Topic

Master Inika

For all AS-related discussion. I myself have AS and would like to hear from other BZPers with it. This topic was made quite a few times on the old BZP, let's not get this one locked. :) So yeah, no ignorance to us! Don't try saying AS is a myth or just "high-functioning autism" unless you can back it.For those who don't know, Asperger's syndrome is a mental abnormality diagnosed in about one in three hundred people. It was discovered in Austria by the physician Hans Asperger, who was later suspected of having the syndrome himself. It is characterized by two main symptoms:1. Lacking ability or desire to engage in social situations properly.2. Having very specific interests, and knowing an shipload about it. It can range from history, to math, to BIONICLE. Some people with AS have more than one specific interest.BZP Asperger's Syndrome List*:Master Inika (me)Field Marshal RMNKahu Rider 13Lyichir: Rachira of InfluenceToa Nidhiki05CHTrilogyAndrewnuva199WritGeluNumber1King Of ShadowsAnon: Toa of Sci-Fi+ravrahnkanohi_masterOoMNagentAanchir: Rachira of TimeChaos Makuta: DralcaxZanzaelectrodudeTamagotchi LoverMalevolenceShadow ReaperBulikPirok the Va-Matorantent163phantokaProtohumanValyouElder_Hau_of_Fire*You were added to the list if you identified yourself with AS in your first post. Those who had the diagnosed removed or plan to have it removed were not added. Self-diagnosed members are included in this list.

Edited by Master Inika

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

OH HAI FELLOW ASPIE. Hmm, I've never heard anybody refer to somebody with Asbergers' Syndrome like that before. But yeah, for anybody who doesn't know what it is, from what I understand, it's basically a mental Condition in which you randomly take one subject at a time and obsess over the limit for it. I don't know if that's completely what it does, but if you ever met one of my IRL firends, you'd orobably hear how I would never get over certain topics and it annoyed the carp out of them. Alright I have to go watch the pilot episode for MLP: FIM right now.

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

Wow, you're an Aspie, brony, and BIONICLE fan. You are automatically awesome. :) Btw, the pilot is awesome. Fluttershy is my favorite. And yes, a lot of us call ourselves "Aspies."

Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

i wouldn't really call myself a Brony, it's just on every forum I've been on, there's an MLP topic and I'm really bored so I'm going to watch the first episode, see if it's any good, then decide whether or not to keep watching.

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

Question; who here has professionally diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome, and who here just diagnosed it themselves? Because, as someone who has it professionally diagnosed and tries to work around it, there's not much I hate more than people who diagnose themselves with it and then use that as an excuse for being a socially awkward nerd. Except Praying Mantises

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

i wouldn't really call myself a Brony, it's just on every forum I've been on, there's an MLP topic and I'm really bored so I'm going to watch the first episode, see if it's any good, then decide whether or not to keep watching.

You will love it.

Question; who here has professionally diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome, and who here just diagnosed it themselves? Because, as someone who has it professionally diagnosed and tries to work around it, there's not much I hate more than people who diagnose themselves with it and then use that as an excuse for being a socially awkward nerd. Except Praying Mantises

I am professionally diagnosed. Edited by Master Inika

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Glad to see someone started this up again. I have AS, and it tends to manifest in both of the ways above (although I have both desire and ability to socially interact, just not to normal extent). I also tend to hate something so bad (ie. Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, MLP) that the hate is almost an obsession in and of itself. As for AS itself, I find it interesting that some people 'outgrow' AS (to an extent) after a certain period of time. This hasn't happened with me, thankfully. -TN05

I strongly believe I'm a misdiagnosed Aspie. I am the king of carisma, I have plenty of humor (sarcasm mostly) and I'm incredibly skilled at languages, having what some would call a "cognitive gift" for linguistics. A trait that's very anti-Asperger, according to people who work with Asperger patients and several psychologists and doctors I've ran into. Considering the fact that my social IQ and emotial IQ are the highest developed (as in insanely strong), even beating my linguistic IQ, and that's saying something. I've met plenty of people with Aspergers and frankly, they're all a bunch of depressed losers. They have no insight to their own actions and have a sad tendency to want the world to change, never admitting that they maybe should start with themselves. Again, I'm not hating, I'm just mentioning areas of improvement. ;) Mature Aspies; I respect you: However, some people never grow up.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

Change: Ever consider that you might just be smart?

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

What I mentioned isn't typical of people with Aspergers, at all.I'm the fricking psychologist, respected by grown-ups, loved/feared/loathed by my peers. I have unusual interests though, like psychology and sociology, and I like to do in-depth research on music or subjetcs I like.Apart from having these unusual, in-depth interests, there's not much Aspergers about me.Except for the fact that I dislike eye contact, but that's because having eye contact is so... uncomfortably intimate. Yeah, I may just be smart. Way above the usual level, disorder or not. Edited by The Change

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

What I mentioned isn't typical of people with Aspergers, at all.I'm the fricking psychologist, respected by grown-ups, loved/feared/loathed by my peers. I have unusual interests though, like psychology and sociology, and I like to do in-depth research on music or subjetcs I like.Apart from having these unusual, in-depth interests, there's not much Aspergers about me.Except for the fact that I dislike eye contact, but that's because having eye contact is so... uncomfortably intimate. Yeah, I may just be smart. Way above the usual level, disorder or not.
Yeah, the only Aspie trait you even remotely have is really liking things people don't know about. You seem to have the social thing worked out.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Funny, I have Aspergers too. I am afraid of eye-contact, no one can stare at me for a long time or else I get stressed, I have more friendly relationships with grown ups and my brother than children of my age, and I always obsess over things time to time.I have strange likings, first from Doctor Who to Metroid to Sarah-Jane Adventures to Torchwood to Bionicle to Lego to Exo-Force to Ninjago to Spyro to Knight's Kingdom to Video Games to Disney to Kingdom Hearts to Mario to Nintendo to SEGA to Mega Man to Bionicle again, to Aliens to Predators to Aliens vs Predators to Lilo and Stitch to Halo to TRON to Hero Factory to Scream to Scary Movies to Doctor Who again to Spyro again to Nintendo again to Sonic again to SEGA again to NiGHTS to Phoenix Wright to Marvel back to TRON and Hero Factory to Portal to Spider-Man to Action Figures to Doctor Who to Capcom to Venom to Predator again to SEGA, Sonic and NiGHTS again, to Lego to Halo again to Ninja Gaiden to Metroid again.Now I'm sort of mixed between Capcom and The Sarah-Jane Adventures.And yes, I'm professionally diagnosed.

I've got Asperger's, professionally diagnosed.

Yeas... yeah I'm one myself. Long-time sufferer.

Sufferer? There's only one downside and one of the upsides is that we don't see it as a downside! EDIT: Obviously I'm oversimplifying, but that's basically how it works, for me at least.I have a few friends with Asperger's, too. Anyone else find it difficult conversing with people you don't really know that well? I'm OK socially, for the most part, but I can't really figure out how to do that. Edited by +ravrahn

I must have it pretty minor. Eye contact is no problem for my. I show more of the "weird interests" thing (Star Trek, Warhammer 40,000, etc.) and less of the social awkwardness. Except around girls, but that's more of a teenage guy thing. And Marissa's fault. Is there a such thing as Acquired Asperger's Syndrome?

Edited by Your Friend Doctor Robert

-Rover

I must have it pretty minor. Eye contact is no problem for my. I show more of the "weird interests" thing (Star Trek, Warhammer 40,000, etc.) and less of the social awkwardness. Except around girls, but that's more of a teenage guy thing. And Marissa's fault. Is there a such thing as Acquired Asperger's Syndrome?

Nope. An Aspie is born an Aspie.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Your Friend Doctor Robert, what do you mean by acquired? I was diagnosed with Aspergers at age 10. It was really difficult and embarassing at first. I was self-conscious and akward, pushing people away when they approached me.. Thankfully, as got older, I eased into telling people about the condition. I'm getting better at conversation, and am beginning to show empathy for others. One thing that still gets me though, is people that make fun of me. It's not my fault; everybody is different, so they need to stop. It's not right on any level to do that, to anyone, and especially people with certain challenges.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

I think I might be an Aspie. I'm pretty bad at social stuff, you could call it socially awkward. I just can't find the right way to start a conversation, or say the right words at the right time, or have a delay in saying said words. (random person steps on foot) "Ow, my leg!" If I'm not around my friends, I'm mostly quiet and unemotional, just caught up in me thinking or doing things by myself. I'm pretty obsessive about certain things, and I kind of act like a memory sponge, absorbing info about my interests or random things. "PEREGRINE FALCON DESCENDS AT 220MPH! A MILE IS 5,280 FEET! TRI-STATE TORNADO MOVED AT 76 MPH AND KILLED 695 PEOPLE! BLAZIKEN EVOLVES AT LV36 AND IMMEDIATELY LEARNS BLAZE KICK! Did I mention it's Fire/Fighting type? OH YAH, ITS SPECIAL ABILITY IS SPEED BOOST! HARRISON HAD ONE, IT WAS IN AN EPISODE BEFORE IT WAS EVEN OBTAINABLE IN GAME! OMG!!!" Did I mention I like Pokemon? :P And I just remembered those off the top of my head. No research whatsoever.

Edited by ~Takava Nirhii~

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

I think I might be an Aspie. I'm pretty bad at social stuff, you could call it socially awkward. I just can't find the right way to start a conversation, or say the right words at the right time, or have a delay in saying said words. (random person steps on foot) "Ow, my leg!" If I'm not around my friends, I'm mostly quiet and unemotional, just caught up in me thinking or doing things by myself. I'm pretty obsessive about certain things, and I kind of act like a memory sponge, absorbing info about my interests or random things. "PEREGRINE FALCON DESCENDS AT 220MPH! A MILE IS 5,280 FEET! TRI-STATE TORNADO MOVED AT 76 MPH AND KILLED 695 PEOPLE! BLAZIKEN EVOLVES AT LV36 AND IMMEDIATELY LEARNS BLAZE KICK! Did I mention it's Fire/Fighting type? OH YAH, ITS SPECIAL ABILITY IS SPEED BOOST! HARRISON HAD ONE, IT WAS IN AN EPISODE BEFORE IT WAS EVEN OBTAINABLE IN GAME! OMG!!!" Did I mention I like Pokemon? :P And I just remembered those off the top of my head. No research whatsoever.

Well, you at least have the Official Unofficial Master Inika Approval of Aspieship. :) Welcome!

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So what does everyone think about the upcoming DSM-V officially doing away with Asperger's as a diagnosis and classifying its symptoms under High-Functioning Autism?

I've met autistics. We're not as related as people say. This merger is just a bunch of NTs saying "Hmm, they both aren't social. Let's clump them together!"

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

So what does everyone think about the upcoming DSM-V officially doing away with Asperger's as a diagnosis and classifying its symptoms under High-Functioning Autism?

I've met autistics. We're not as related as people say. This merger is just a bunch of NTs saying "Hmm, they both aren't social. Let's clump them together!"
Go ahead and call the American Psychological Association "a bunch of NTs"* if you like, but an organizing body and forum for the great majority of the psychiatric practitioners in the US, as well as many others from other countries, tends to know what it's doing. If anyone knows what they're doing, it'd have to be them. And the DSM-V committee wouldn't make a move like this unless the majority of the world's psychologists would agree and abide (and psychological academia thrives on inner conflict anyway). Asperger's is autism without the speech difficulties. That's literally it. Even right now, the DSM-IV symptoms for Asperger's are literally just the Autistic Disorder symptoms with the speech part removed. Classifying it as its own disorder, with its own name, has caused a lot of misconceptions about what exactly it IS. Basically anyone can have "mild Asperger's," since so few people know what the criteria really ARE. I'm totally in favor of the change, largely because it means the general public will take the disorder more seriously. It's lost a lot of meaning, socially, being used as a general term for "awkward person." * Psychologists are, more often than not, in treatment themselves for one or more disorder. Almost all clinical practitioners are required to go to regular therapy sessions. Psychology is one of the least NT professions out there.
crisis_on_infinite_nicolas_cage.jpg

Been diagnosed since age 3 or so. I can definatley show intelligence when needed. And I would definately say I have weird interests, anyone who knows me just has to bring up the RMS Titanic to prove it. Second weirdest has got to be internet memes, I say. I do have social issues as well. I had a few friends, so to say, when I was in elementary school, but I sorta drifted into lonersville during Middle School. Now under the advisory of my parents and a few professionals, I'm trying to be more open with others, and I do get along personally with a few people. Haven't done too much "hanging out" with them though.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

This. They are related, but there are enough major differences to warrant it being separate. This is basically as 'legit' to me as when Pluto was de-classified as a planet - it really doesn't affect what I think. I have AS, and I'll identify as such. -TN05

This. They are related, but there are enough major differences to warrant it being separate. This is basically as 'legit' to me as when Pluto was de-classified as a planet - it really doesn't affect what I think. I have AS, and I'll identify as such. -TN05
Fellow aspie here, nice to meet you. ^_^ The connection between Asperger's Syndrome and autism is also about as legit to me as the Pluto issue, hence why I agree that the two conditions are probably related. In both cases, the actual characteristics are important to the definition. Just because ordinary people would rather just have terms like "autism spectrum" or "planet" have arbitrary meanings that have nothing to do with the characteristics of the object doesn't mean that scientists can be that arbitrary about things. And unless the causes of the two conditions are discovered to be different, the similarities are too significant to ignore. I recommend reading "The Pluto Files" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson; it's an educational and VERY funny overview of the decision and all the events leading up to it, going as far back as Pluto's original discovery and the discovery of other dwarf planets like Ceres before it. Likewise, I recommend watching the biographical film Temple Grandin sometime. Temple Grandin is a very successful autistic individual, and people with Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism will surely sympathize with some of her social difficulties and atypical ways of thinking as illustrated in the film. Naturally, it's a dramatization, but the DVD version includes an audio commentary with the real Temple Grandin, who describes which parts of the movie were changed slightly and which parts are very authentic portrayals of her life story.

Fellow aspie here, nice to meet you. ^_^ The connection between Asperger's Syndrome and autism is also about as legit to me as the Pluto issue, hence why I agree that the two conditions are probably related. In both cases, the actual characteristics are important to the definition. Just because ordinary people would rather just have terms like "autism spectrum" or "planet" have arbitrary meanings that have nothing to do with the characteristics of the object doesn't mean that scientists can be that arbitrary about things. And unless the causes of the two conditions are discovered to be different, the similarities are too significant to ignore. I recommend reading "The Pluto Files" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson; it's an educational and VERY funny overview of the decision and all the events leading up to it, going as far back as Pluto's original discovery and the discovery of other dwarf planets like Ceres before it. Likewise, I recommend watching the biographical film Temple Grandin sometime. Temple Grandin is a very successful autistic individual, and people with Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism will surely sympathize with some of her social difficulties and atypical ways of thinking as illustrated in the film. Naturally, it's a dramatization, but the DVD version includes an audio commentary with the real Temple Grandin, who describes which parts of the movie were changed slightly and which parts are very authentic portrayals of her life story.
Nice to meet you too. :) I'll have to check those out - they seem pretty neat to me. Of course scientists have to go by fact, but my point was I don't consider myself to be 'autistic' so much as and aspie. Autism carries sort of a stigma, to me, and I really don't want people to associate me with the mid or low functioning types that most would recognize as 'autistic'. My stance is shaped more by stigma than pure scientific fact. -TN05

Hm...I'm a PCA for a boy with Asperger's and one of my friends also has it. The thing that confuses me is that they're complete opposites:

• [*]The boy I PCA for cannot make eye contact with most adults and has frequent anxiety attacks. All of his toys need to be in mint condition, otherwise he gets rid of them.[*]My friend is extremely social and outgoing and, if anything, seems unusually resilient to stress. The only "symptom" I've noticed is that he has a very large anime collection.

Keizah, signing out~!

Edited by Keizah Hagah

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

The story of my Asperger's is odd, indeed. 1. I have a hearing-impaired mother. from -pretty much- the time I could speak coherantly, I've been her interpreter and middleman for all situations that call for it. Making apointments, paying bills on store credit cards, inquiring about X, X, and X, and so on. Because of this, I've always been fairly good at talking to my superiors, store employees, people in a servant position. 2. I was in public school until 5th Grade, then put into homeschooling in the middle of the year of 5th Grade, starting from scratch. Unlike the public school I went to, the homeschooling put emphasis on hand-writing as an artform, vocabulary, importance of proper writing and speaking. My homeschooling improved by speaking skills in this way, but also gave me a more private life. The days were spent either studying, or shopping, mostly the former. 3. Five years ago we moved to a new town, and I took my G.E.D - having just finished 8th grade in homeschooling prior to the move - thus I was put into a very alien situation: Being surrounded by my peers. I figured it'd be okay until they started opening their mouths. And to think that I'm the one with the 'mental defect'. Now, five years later, I've master the art of being surrounded by unintelligent vermin disguised as humans, I go to school for the sake of knowledge and learning (not that I never did that, just it's far easier to focus on that aspect now.), block voices out with music, and avoid the negative side of people by walking fast, and give a quick curteous smile without any other acknowledgement. 4. Probably should have been higher up, but I have quite a few symptoms of S.I.D. (Sensory Integration Dysfunction) a partner issue to Asperger's, amongst these are a sensitivity to sounds (I say sounds and not sound, because certain types of music never bother me regardless of volume. It's more or less that I react in extreme ways to sounds that others easily ignore, filter out, or just don't find that irritating. Like being in Wal*Mart when they're using those devices to move boxes around. When they drop thems, or are pulled out of the woode frames they are used to transport, most people barely react or notice, whilst I usually cringe, cover my ears, and sometimes mutter various expletives as if they'll cause a soothing feeling.), a sensitivity to touch (I cannot wear loose clothing, because the feeling of fabric lightly brushing my skin drives me nuts, I have reacted violently when being touched, especially be surprise, and even when I know it's happening, certain types of touching make me cringe in reaction [i'd say more on this topic, as it does get interesting, but some of it isn't BZPower appropriate at any rate]) walking on my 'toes'(somewhat gone, but never entirely. I still feel very uncomfortable and unbalanced in flat shoes so I actively search out shoes with a bigger heel, to mimc the act of 'toe-walking'), and - for a change of pace - a HYPOsensitive sense of smell. I can notice some scents, but very rarely, and usually only when they're much worse than I realise. [perhaps an interesting sidenote to this, but most likely unrelated: I like the scent of skunk spray. I don't think it's smells bad, just very potent. I think if it were diluted it could be found to be rather pleasant.]) 5. A Last-minute addition, because I entirely forgot about it, but my mother has always introduced me - from as young as 2, so far as I know - to humour. Laurel and Hardy, the Thin Man series, Ma and Pa Kettle and many other older films with humour and drama interlaced. We also watched PBS which gave me a heavy dose of British Comedies. Because of this and other unmentioned elements in my early life, I'm somewhat devoid of the Asperger's trait of not understanding humour. Although there are cases, mainly everyday events where I never realise someone is making a joke. Now then, let's get more in depth. As a youngster in primary school, my parents wondered if something was wrong with me, due to issues in school. A woman in the town did some tests with me, noted I had disgraphia, and mentioned her suspicions of my having asperger's to my parents, though she was not actually qualified to make an official diagnosis. When we moved into a city, we went to a Doctor who was supposedly an expert in Autism/Asperger's. He did his tests, and in the end diagnosed that I was Asperger's, but he refused to give us any paperwork saying so, since, "I don't give paperwork, I just prescribe medication." So a while later we went to another Doctor in the city. He said I didn't have Asperger's (Mostly as a result of me being able to talk to him quite well, as a result of 1. and 2. above. He lashed out at my parents saying they were horrible people for taking me out of school and 'locking me up in my room' which was a ridiculous claim. Finally, prior to moving, we met a woman with Asperger's who analysed me in a casual setting and confirmed I was an Asperger's; because we were moving soon and couldn't delay it, she was never able to give an official diagnosis. After that, we moved into the current town we live in. Hoping still to get an official diagnosis to possibly make my life easier in less than ideal situations, we went to a Doctor at the College of a nearby city-town (not quite a town, not quite a city) who was - again - supposedly an expert. Again, as a result of 1. and 2., I was able to talk to him in a very professional and well-spoken manner. In the end he diagnosed that I was not Asperger's for the sole reason that I was able to talk to him without awkwardness. A counsellor in town met with me, and she had worked with Asperger's syndrome people in the past, and recognised me fairly quickly as Asperger's Positive. However she did not have the proper qualifications to give me an official diagnosis. This happened again with the vocational Rehabilitation Consellor we met in a nearby town. We later on went to a group of analysts in the same town, and they too diagnosed me as NOT Asperger's. HOWEVER, we later realised that they were under employment by the first doctor, and had accessed his original analysis of me. finally, we went to someone out-of-state, but very near to our current home. He confirmed I as Asperger's, but was not able to give an official diagnosis, since out state doesn't allow out-of-state diagnosis to be used. So I'm still here, an 'unofficially' diagnosed Asperger's, with 6 pro and 3 against me. I feel certain that I have Asperger's, and regardless of whether or not I EVER get officially diagnosed, I'll stand by it. In reality, the diagnosis isn't even important to me, even though I understand why my parents want it for me. Meanwhile, I notice everyone talks about the COMMON aspect of Asperger's, which is the social awkwardness/inability. What about the lesser known/more case-by-case issues that come with it, such as S.I.D.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

The story of my Asperger's is odd, indeed. 1. I have a hearing-impaired mother. from -pretty much- the time I could speak coherantly, I've been her interpreter and middleman for all situations that call for it. Making apointments, paying bills on store credit cards, inquiring about X, X, and X, and so on. Because of this, I've always been fairly good at talking to my superiors, store employees, people in a servant position. 2. I was in public school until 5th Grade, then put into homeschooling in the middle of the year of 5th Grade, starting from scratch. Unlike the public school I went to, the homeschooling put emphasis on hand-writing as an artform, vocabulary, importance of proper writing and speaking. My homeschooling improved by speaking skills in this way, but also gave me a more private life. The days were spent either studying, or shopping, mostly the former. 3. Five years ago we moved to a new town, and I took my G.E.D - having just finished 8th grade in homeschooling prior to the move - thus I was put into a very alien situation: Being surrounded by my peers. I figured it'd be okay until they started opening their mouths. And to think that I'm the one with the 'mental defect'. Now, five years later, I've master the art of being surrounded by unintelligent vermin disguised as humans, I go to school for the sake of knowledge and learning (not that I never did that, just it's far easier to focus on that aspect now.), block voices out with music, and avoid the negative side of people by walking fast, and give a quick curteous smile without any other acknowledgement. 4. Probably should have been higher up, but I have quite a few symptoms of S.I.D. (Sensory Integration Dysfunction) a partner issue to Asperger's, amongst these are a sensitivity to sounds (I say sounds and not sound, because certain types of music never bother me regardless of volume. It's more or less that I react in extreme ways to sounds that others easily ignore, filter out, or just don't find that irritating. Like being in Wal*Mart when they're using those devices to move boxes around. When they drop thems, or are pulled out of the woode frames they are used to transport, most people barely react or notice, whilst I usually cringe, cover my ears, and sometimes mutter various expletives as if they'll cause a soothing feeling.), a sensitivity to touch (I cannot wear loose clothing, because the feeling of fabric lightly brushing my skin drives me nuts, I have reacted violently when being touched, especially be surprise, and even when I know it's happening, certain types of touching make me cringe in reaction [i'd say more on this topic, as it does get interesting, but some of it isn't BZPower appropriate at any rate]) walking on my 'toes'(somewhat gone, but never entirely. I still feel very uncomfortable and unbalanced in flat shoes so I actively search out shoes with a bigger heel, to mimc the act of 'toe-walking'), and - for a change of pace - a HYPOsensitive sense of smell. I can notice some scents, but very rarely, and usually only when they're much worse than I realise. [perhaps an interesting sidenote to this, but most likely unrelated: I like the scent of skunk spray. I don't think it's smells bad, just very potent. I think if it were diluted it could be found to be rather pleasant.]) 5. A Last-minute addition, because I entirely forgot about it, but my mother has always introduced me - from as young as 2, so far as I know - to humour. Laurel and Hardy, the Thin Man series, Ma and Pa Kettle and many other older films with humour and drama interlaced. We also watched PBS which gave me a heavy dose of British Comedies. Because of this and other unmentioned elements in my early life, I'm somewhat devoid of the Asperger's trait of not understanding humour. Although there are cases, mainly everyday events where I never realise someone is making a joke. Now then, let's get more in depth. As a youngster in primary school, my parents wondered if something was wrong with me, due to issues in school. A woman in the town did some tests with me, noted I had disgraphia, and mentioned her suspicions of my having asperger's to my parents, though she was not actually qualified to make an official diagnosis. When we moved into a city, we went to a Doctor who was supposedly an expert in Autism/Asperger's. He did his tests, and in the end diagnosed that I was Asperger's, but he refused to give us any paperwork saying so, since, "I don't give paperwork, I just prescribe medication." So a while later we went to another Doctor in the city. He said I didn't have Asperger's (Mostly as a result of me being able to talk to him quite well, as a result of 1. and 2. above. He lashed out at my parents saying they were horrible people for taking me out of school and 'locking me up in my room' which was a ridiculous claim. Finally, prior to moving, we met a woman with Asperger's who analysed me in a casual setting and confirmed I was an Asperger's; because we were moving soon and couldn't delay it, she was never able to give an official diagnosis. After that, we moved into the current town we live in. Hoping still to get an official diagnosis to possibly make my life easier in less than ideal situations, we went to a Doctor at the College of a nearby city-town (not quite a town, not quite a city) who was - again - supposedly an expert. Again, as a result of 1. and 2., I was able to talk to him in a very professional and well-spoken manner. In the end he diagnosed that I was not Asperger's for the sole reason that I was able to talk to him without awkwardness. A counsellor in town met with me, and she had worked with Asperger's syndrome people in the past, and recognised me fairly quickly as Asperger's Positive. However she did not have the proper qualifications to give me an official diagnosis. This happened again with the vocational Rehabilitation Consellor we met in a nearby town. We later on went to a group of analysts in the same town, and they too diagnosed me as NOT Asperger's. HOWEVER, we later realised that they were under employment by the first doctor, and had accessed his original analysis of me. finally, we went to someone out-of-state, but very near to our current home. He confirmed I as Asperger's, but was not able to give an official diagnosis, since out state doesn't allow out-of-state diagnosis to be used. So I'm still here, an 'unofficially' diagnosed Asperger's, with 6 pro and 3 against me. I feel certain that I have Asperger's, and regardless of whether or not I EVER get officially diagnosed, I'll stand by it. In reality, the diagnosis isn't even important to me, even though I understand why my parents want it for me. Meanwhile, I notice everyone talks about the COMMON aspect of Asperger's, which is the social awkwardness/inability. What about the lesser known/more case-by-case issues that come with it, such as S.I.D.

Yeah, I also have some sensory issues, but not a lot. Btw, I love how you call all NTs "unintelligent vermin disguised as humans."

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Oh not all, just the ones in this town. Trust me, spend a week here and you'd come to the same conclusion. If the government decided to use to town for atomic bomb testing without announcing it to any of the locals, I'd find it totally acceptable.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching