The Official Music Topic

i hope the new Weezer  gets back to the good life is more like what they did on blue and pinkerton

btw anyone whos into post-hardcore and screamo should check out Lilith on bandcamp

theyre real cool

and ive never been able to get into death grips ryu, where would you suggest i start

only in dreams.

from the song previews and stuff we've got so far, I'm optimistic that this album will be a step in that direction if not a full return to form

btw if you dig blue album and Pinkerton era Weezer, def check out the album Rock and Roll Part Three by Ozma, it's basically the best album Weezer never released

also re: Death Grips, I got into them through their debut mixtape Exmilitary (I also think it's their best along with The Money Store) so I guess I could suggest starting there, but there's really nothing I can definitively say is a good gateway into Death Grips' music. if you were to just pick one of their albums and give it a listen, chances are if you dig it you'll dig the rest of their discog and if you don't then you probably won't.

currently listening to ozma

this is good

i can almost believe its weezer if i try hard enough

i dont wanna completely write ozma off as a wannabe weezer tho, because of the work they put into being a band and writing songs and recording and stuff

but they sound so much like weezer its ridiculous

thx for the rec btw, exmilitary is super awesome amazing

only in dreams.

glad you're diggin 'em both

Weezer album release date's been announced along with a new video which has the best-sounding song previews yet:

September 30, honestly closer than I expected but I'm stoked

there was also a brief Entertainment Weekly article about it which included this delightful quote from drummer Pat Wilson:

“If you took the Pinkerton band and then play all the other records—that’s what we sound like now. Bombastic, loose, kind of booming. This record sounds like it’s going to have the tight structure of Blue Album with a little bit more abandon like Pinkerton.

edit: aaand press release from Yahoo New Zealand:

Los Angeles, CA’s Weezer will release their highly anticipated ninth album, Everything Will Be Alright In The End, on September 26th, 2014 on Republic Records/Universal New Zealand. Produced by Ric Ocasek, who previously helmed production on the band’s first and third records ("The Blue Album" and "The Green Album"), Everything Will Be Alright In The End is the band’s first collection of new material in four years.

Since forming in 1992, Weezer has released a myriad of celebrated, chart-topping albums, selling over 13 million records worldwide. Following an intensely prolific couple years at the end of the aughts, the band chose to deliberately dial down the tempo in 2010, a move singer/guitarist Rivers Cuomo says allowed him to write at a slower pace, giving the songs he wanted to use for an album the time to gradually grow into their final forms. He started almost every song on the piano, eventually transferring them to the guitar before taking them to the band.

When it came time to record the material, Weezer reunited with the man who helped them make some of their most iconic album-length work, Cars frontman Ric Ocasek. The resulting album, Everything Will Be Alright In The End, is a stand-out gem in Weezer’s vast and varied catalogue, a reflection of a much-loved band at their very best. Organized thematically around three groups of songs, it is an album that utilizes that sound from the band’s earliest days to tell new stories in 2014, creating some of the finest, most heartfelt songs Weezer has ever recorded.

Edited by Ryuujin

Some unpopular musical tastes incoming!

3 Doors Down

Anacrusis

Breaking Benjamin

Chevelle

Demon Hunter

Device

Disturbed

Fight Or Flight

Five Finger Death Punch

Fozzy

Kansas

Lordi

Megadeth

Oingo Boingo

Ra

Ramin Djawadi

Red

Sabaton

Skillet

Stone Sour

Styx

Tally Hall

Trans-Siberian Orchestra

Ah, Skillet and Disturbed. Two amazing bands. Although I am a huge Skillet fan, Shinedown and Malukah are great

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

• 3 weeks later...

favorite albums of the year so far, anyone?

for me, in no particular order: Phantom Shadow by Machinae Supremacy, From Parts Unknown by Every Time I Die, Transgender Dysphoria Blues by Against Me!, Shadows of the Dying Sun by Insomnium, Ultra Silvam by Ştiu Nu Ştiu, Titan by Septicflesh, Ultraviolet by Sadistik, Heathen by Thou, Beyond Calculation by The Austerity Program, Pale Communion by Opeth, Once More 'Round the Sun by Mastodon, and La Gárgola by Chevelle.

I feel like the best is yet to come, though. within the next few weeks and months we've got the new Weezer, Interpol, At the Gates, Birthday Massacre, The Cure (maybe?), and Death Grips (RIP) among others.

also there's still a ton of stuff already released this year that I need to get around to checking out.

Edited by Ryuujin

• 2 weeks later...

well this year has been all over for me, some hits and some misses. Mostly solid though. I'd say the best so far are Anathema's "Distant Satellites", Machinae Supremacy's "Phantom Shadow" (album of the year, calling it now), and Opeth's "Pale Communion".

Overkill's "White Devil Armoury" was a great thrasher but it didn't do much they haven't done before. Step up from their last album, though. And Yes' new album, although mildly likeable, is extremely disappointing. I also really enjoyed the new Mastodon but not having heard any of their other albums yet I don't really feel qualified to say much about it.

Anyway, if you like video games/anime/sci-fi/metal or people with strange voices, check out Machinae SUpremacy. That's what they're all about.

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

A late response on the favourite albums of the year thus far: still keeping their high place are Ghouleh by Starofash, The Satanist by Behemoth, the self-titled by Devin Townsend's Casualties of Cool project, Splinters by Vallenfyre, Enter by Fire! Orchestra and Longhena by Gridlink.

As for albums I've heard since my last post, Once More 'Round the Sun by Mastodon has been fantastic.

Also really loving Piano Nights by Bohren & Der Club of Gore, which is a really great ambient dark jazz album. It's got a very strong sense of loneliness about it, which I really dig.

Then there's the albums which aren't quite candidates for album of the year, but are still pretty good: Xenon by Mechina, Oi Magoi by Hail Spirit Noir, Matters of Mind, Body and Soul by Clan of Xymox, The Joy of Motion by Animals as Leaders, Shogunate Macabre by Whispered and Distant Satellites by Anathema.

Been pretty much completely out of the loop lately, so I have a ton of albums I still need to listen to.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Gahhhh

I've been searching for like half an hour for this band, but to no avail; I hope one of you can help me.

It's a band/artist that makes, from what I heard, instrumental music that is somewhat similar to the instrumental version of World on Fire by Les Friction (I remember that that was the first song I thought of when I heard their music), and also somewhat like TSFH and other soundtrack/trailer music people, but much more mellow.

I can somewhat envision the album artwork, too - it was something like a fantastical (and drawn) boat or vehicle going across the screen. I remember light brown, and maybe some green/light green.

I'd love it if one of you could help me figure out what it is.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I guess I want to ask what everyone's preferred listening format is? Do you go vinyl, CD, digital? Apologies if it's been asked already.

I currently listen to CD and a few SACDs. I've been meaning to get into vinyl but don't know how to make a proper setup centered around headphone listening.

(Also no one saw me post this in the Musical Purchases topic. << )

Edited by -Windrider-

I buy CDs for the most part, though I end up ripping those to digital format for everyday listening anyway. I do buy digital albums as well, typically either when something is too expensive in a physical format or I'm just casually interested in it and not willing to spend too much or wait on shipping.

I have been trying to get into vinyl recently, though. bought a turntable and picked up my all-time favorite album, The Cure's Disintegration, and gave it a few spins. haven't gotten anything else since, though I plan on getting a copy of Thriller sometime soon.

A lot of my day-to-day music listening is digital, but the majority of my physical collection is actually in vinyl and cassette.

A thrift store near here sells vinyls for 10c each, so I can pick them up pretty easily.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I guess I want to ask what everyone's preferred listening format is? Do you go vinyl, CD, digital? Apologies if it's been asked already.

I currently listen to CD and a few SACDs. I've been meaning to get into vinyl but don't know how to make a proper setup centered around headphone listening.

Digital man. I used to CDs though but I just found it easier to go digital. Forgive for not knowing this but isn't Vinyl kinda expensive? Never looked into it but even if it isn't I don't anything that could vinyl.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

The vast majority of what I buy is on CD, but I mostly listen to digital on my computer.

Basically, for the most part if I'm listening via headphones then it will be digital, and if it's via speakers then it will be CD. Not much reason for that other than convenience.

I'd like to get into vinyl, but it's way too expensive for me right now. I do plan to at some point get my most beloved albums on it though. Whenever I actually get something to play them with, I will pretty much immediately get the vinyl release of The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I've pretty much gone completely digital with a lot of my purchasing, but that's in part because a lot of what I listen to is stuff that I can only get digitally. When something I really love gets a physical release (like the Legend of Korra Book One soundtrack), I am more likely to buy the CD version, if only because I like having liner notes. I've never been much of an audiophile so I have no opinion whatsoever on which format has the best quality, though I'll probably never buy a vinyl album simply because I don't own a turntable and see little incentive in getting one.

• 2 weeks later...

Any U2 fans here? What did y'all think of the new album?

Yeah! Their songs are great, my personal favorite being, 'With or Without You', a close second is 'Beautiful Day', but ill have to look their new album up as i haven't really been listening to their songs recently

Anyone like 'Sweet Disposition' by The Temper Trap?

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I only ever listen to MUSE + a few other tracks :) No U2 I'm afraid :/

You should check them out! Muse actually takes a bit of inspiration from U2. Also, give this a listen (Muse covering a U2 song):

Yeah! Their songs are great, my personal favorite being, 'With or Without You', a close second is 'Beautiful Day', but ill have to look their new album up as i haven't really been listening to their songs recently

Those are both great songs! And yeah, the new album is really good. Plus it's free on iTunes!

Just looked "Sweet Disposition" up on Youtube. Pretty good. Mellow but also energetic.

Edited by John Smith

Those are both great songs! And yeah, the new album is really good. Plus it's free on iTunes!

Just looked "Sweet Disposition" up on Youtube. Pretty good. Mellow but also energetic.

haha nice ill definitely check it out then!

yeah i like that song alot its just got a great beat to it, glad you liked it!

Another great band is Aerosmith, my favorite of their songs being 'Don't Want to Miss a Thing'

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!

I only ever listen to MUSE + a few other tracks :) No U2 I'm afraid :/

You should check them out! Muse actually takes a bit of inspiration from U2. Also, give this a listen (Muse covering a U2 song):

Me Like.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Another great band is Aerosmith, my favorite of their songs being 'Don't Want to Miss a Thing'

Aerosmith is cool. My favorite is either "Walk This Way" or "Dream On."

Me Like.

Excellent. :)

Yeah i definitely love the 'Dream On' song that is great, so is 'Walk This Way' actually

Yeah i definitely love the 'Dream On' song that is great, so is 'Walk This Way' actually

Sing for the laughter, sing for the tear

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

i dig circa survive real hard

i got into them through the song Stop The Car, which is on their first album Juturna but all their stuff is really good, you really can't go wrong starting anywhere (but id recommend Stop The Car and the track that immediately follows it, We're All Thieves)

im seeing them live in december

it will rock hard and also be beautiful 

only in dreams.

i dig circa survive real hard

i got into them through the song Stop The Car, which is on their first album Juturna but all their stuff is really good, you really can't go wrong starting anywhere (but id recommend Stop The Car and the track that immediately follows it, We're All Thieves)

im seeing them live in december

it will rock hard and also be beautiful

I've seen them live in 2011 and last year. Best live performance I've ever seen. Stop the Car is one of my favorite songs, that and Living Together from thei album On Letting Go, which is by far their best album in my opinion.

From Indian Lakes:

Edited by Wiser Whenua

kalija.png

all this is temporary.

Follow me on Twitter! @sean52711

I'll follow back.

favorite albums of the year so far, anyone?

for me, in no particular order: Phantom Shadow by Machinae Supremacy, From Parts Unknown by Every Time I Die, Transgender Dysphoria Blues by Against Me!, Shadows of the Dying Sun by Insomnium, Ultra Silvam by Ştiu Nu Ştiu, Titan by Septicflesh, Ultraviolet by Sadistik, Heathen by Thou, Beyond Calculation by The Austerity Program, Pale Communion by Opeth, Once More 'Round the Sun by Mastodon, and La Gárgola by Chevelle.

I feel like the best is yet to come, though. within the next few weeks and months we've got the new Weezer, Interpol, At the Gates, Birthday Massacre, The Cure (maybe?), and Death Grips (RIP) among others.

also there's still a ton of stuff already released this year that I need to get around to checking out.

"Hail the Apocalypse" by Avatar