Epilogue

OOC: @ Constructman, do you want to have our meet up encounter now?

IC: Brennus Cynbel // Courtyard

Eventually, Brennus arose from his statuesque squatting-sit in the courtyard, taking a few steps forward and making his way out in search of a partner for the tournament ahead. He would need one, after all...

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

OOC: @Lev: Sure

IC: Vincent

"You have Renren?" Judging from fact that she used that, Vincent deduced that she was from China (as if her appearance wasn't obvious enough). Which means if she was a member of an intelligence agency, she had to be... "MSS?"

IC: Agnes

Agnes's search for a partner had come to a failure. She couldn't find anybody who hadn't already had a partner. Then she noticed the huge boy who had been squatting in the courtyard start to get up and move. On impulse, she approached him. "Hey," she started, "Have you got a partner yet? Because i don' and I was thinking that maybe we could pair up...?"

IC: Brennus Cynbel

The Idol looked forward, somewhat incredulous at the statement. If he could blink, Brennus most likely would have. He almost could picture seeing her before, while he waited outside the arena complex before everything began. So much emotion... quite a bit to learn. After a few moments, he replied with a, "That sounds reasonable, as I was about to search for one myself. I am not familiar with the people of this place."

IC: Alexander Hawkins

"Alexander Hawkins.... researcher, classifier..."

"Most likely to be the prodigal son." he thought bitterly, his mind turning to his blade for just a moment before he looked back to Adrian. "You know, that stuff. And... the same. The nice to meet you, that is."

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!"

. . . . . .

Even Agnes realized how out of place that one was.

*Ahem* "So anyways, I guess that solves a lot of problems for both of us. Though I wonder, are we supposed to stick together before the tournament starts or do we only need to stay with our teams once the events begin?" Agnes wasn't quite sure what to do. On the one hand, following Brennus around 24/7 would give people the wrong idea; on the other hand, completely ignoring him until the tournament began would also give a false message.

"I know little of the methods of this tournament beyond those described by the Headmaster." he replied. "I know very little of the interactions of humans and most other nobles, so I must admit I am not in the best of places to divine a method of action."

It was at this point one noticed that his lips were not syncing quite right with his (telepathic) voice, due to the failure of the weak glamour.

"Oh... okay... hey!" Agnes suddenly realized one part of his statement that didn't make much sense to her. "What exactly are you anyway? You said "most other nobles", right, so I take it that you were either raised somewhere extremely secluded or are some sort of super-rare species! Am I right on either count?" At this point, Agnes would also realize that his lips weren't syncing very well with his words; was it a physiological difference?

IC: Vinnie (Cafeteria, Meeting Her Partner)

While Misayo was trying to identify her species, Vinnie was still muttering something about Scholar Boy being a churl for just ditching her like this. Not to mention that he even had the gall to suggest that a Kitsune and her formed a proper partnership, they were just so darn arrogant, why the heck did he think that such a partnership would work. Regardless, it wasn't until Misayo was giving her a bow, did Vinnie notice the Kitsune once more.

"Hajiwhat?" Vinnie asked, she never did understand the need for formalities in another language, it seemed pointless considering the other person couldn't understand it. "Ah whatever, like I said name's Vinnie Col, nice to meet you too."

"So," Vinnie sighed, stretching her arms a bit as she talked, "You want a tour of the school, can't say I'm the best at that, Scholar Boy's generally the guy who handles all the newbies. Me, I'm just the supplier, need goods or information, that's my job. Don't suppose I can interest you in any of the new products that came in."

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

"I must admit ignorance to the truth on either count." he replied. "I believe I am the only of my kind at the Academy, but there are supposedly others elsewhere. Where they are, I am not sure. I'm not even sure if I was ever truly raised, either. I simply returned to consciousness, amnesiac, amidst debris and the attempts at new discovery by humans, and was brought back here by members of this academy who were unsure of my origins."

"The headmaster and a few others seem aware of my species, however. The headmaster... I believe him much more clever than that last showing let on."

Edited by Toa Levacius Zehvor

IC: Misayo

"Supplier? As in a market? I was not aware that student driven businesses were so pr-pro... prominent here. Then again, I'm not aware of the happenings of most of the school (of course). And for Scholar Boy, you mean Alistair? Yes, he did seem to have a firm grasp of things." From her speech patterns, Misayo could tell that this "Vinnie" was extremely casual/laid back. She definitely wasn't all uptight or anything like that.

"Oh... That's really mysterious, you know? It's like when someone gets amnesia and can't remember who they are except maybe you never had those memories to begin with! It's like you just suddenly popped into existence! Well, many weird things do happen in this world' we Nobles are practically living proof of it, are we?" Agnes's curiousity was intrigued. Who and wht was this Brennus guy? Ooh, she just had to find out!

"I am not a secret agent. I travel the world and kill monsters for a living. That is all."

OOC: Said casually?

"Yes, I suppose we are. To be honest, it all seems rather normal to me. It is all I have known. The thing that truly amazes me is the technology at works here. Why, for instance, do all of these lights glow? They tell me it is not magic, but I do not believe them."

He decided to interrupt his musings, before saying, "Pardon me. I am not familiar enough with common customs, and apologize for not know the proper way to ask - to who am I speaking, exactly?"

"Well, I can use a handgun..." he said. "Not too good at long distance, though."

"Nice to meet you too, Agnes." he replied. Not really, though. He didn't really feel any happiness or niceness, but he supposed it would be more thoughtful to do so. "So were you brought to the academy as well?" he asked. "Are most simply brought here, or do they just... find it."

"Most people aren't 'brought' here like you would bring a bag to school or anything like that. From what I've heard, people either apply or get offered a position here at the school, all through the mail. They choose to come here, regardless of whether it was they who sought out the academy or the other way around." Agnes recalled how she got accepted to the school. When she found out that Vincent was coming, she repeatedly pestered the "hiring" (what are people who accept students called?) staff over and over again, repeatedly citing her "noble lineage (in both senses)" as a reason to attend, and she finally got accepted.

"Hmm. How very different. I suppose it makes sense, though, that most would be given the option to come or not, just as I was given the option to stay or not."

IC: "That should be fine." Adrian replied, thinking about how that could compliment his own fighting style. "Me personally, I'm most effective at close range, but I have a solid knowledge of how to operate at other ranges. I use a glaive, primarily."

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

IC: Slouched against the walls of a corner in the room, Bart wasn't too unduly worried about trying to immediately track down a partner. There were loads of people at the school, it wasn't like he was going to end up being the only one left or anything

IC: On the other side of the room, Karen had a different attitude. She was desperately trying to find a partner, eager to start making new friends, but was a little unsure of how. First day jitters were making her a little nervous about just going up to people

Edited by Lord of Adders Black

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC:

It was good to be back.

A satisfied smile sat across Brianna's face as she milled amongst her fellow students. The announcement of needing a partner hadn't put her off at all and in fact, she was looking forward to working with someone in the tournament for a change. Thousands of scenarios raced through her head as she pondered about what her partner might be like. Maybe she'd end up with a Blaster, it would be nice to have someone else who shared her love for guns. Or maybe a Chanter or even a Summoner. She wasn't all that picky.

Suddenly, one student in particular jumped out from the crowd in her vision. She was tall, with pink streaks in her hair, and the apprehensive look that most newcomers had on their first day at the academy. Brianna was immediately intrigued. Whoever she was, she was determined to meet her.

Making her way through the crowd was a bit of a chore due to her size but the bubblegum pink made it easy to keep the girl in her sights. As soon as she was close enough, she waved her hand to get her attention and flashed her a grin. "Hey there," she beamed, "You a Firsty?"

IC: "It sure sounds like it. I've never been around other people like me." Karen looked nervously at a point just over Brianna's shoulder, trying not to look her in the eyes, "Just a thought, but do you think you and me could be partners for this tournament thing? Maybe in the meantime you could show me round while I get my bearings?"

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: Hey folks. Just wanted to be sure that this font isn't too hard to read, is it? It seems a tad smallish to me, but frankly the size jump from 14 to 18 looks quite a bit more substantial on the forum than say a Word Processor. I'll switch to something more legible if it's a problem.

"Ah, yes. And I work best shooting things that are impossible to miss. Unfortunately, something that big doesn't tend to be very susceptible to a small bullet. Still... I know a lot about the creatures and demons this academy trains you to face. I know their weaknesses, strengths... how to exploit them. Unfortunately, not knowing the actual combat part renders all of that a null point... though I don't suppose you could put something like that to use?"

IC: Vinnie (Cafeteria, Conversing with Misayo)

Vinnie chuckled, "Y'know you Kitsune always act like you know everything, which makes it all the more amusing when you get something dead wrong. No this school isn't pro-business, let's just say that the nature of the business I run allows students to get their hands on some of the more..." Vinnie paused searching for an adequate term, "Frowned upon items."

"As for Scholar Boy, yeah I guess his name is Alistair, never really call him that though. He's just good with newbies and helping them out, not exactly my speciality."

Edited by Toa Onarax

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

IC (Katherine)
“Fine. Humor is for people who don’t take the fate of the world or of countless innocents seriously. Better?” Katherine took another sip of the can. “Yeah. This is weird. I don’t want to imagine the facility where this was packaged. At all. Something out of a death metal song I’m sure.” In the blink of an eye, she’d set the aluminum can down. “Well, my parents have….a history…a rather recent one….with a certain noble clan. If they’re still around at least.”

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:"No one likes to put too much thought into where the more strange foods this school serves comes from."

"As for the recent history... Well, there's not much I can say to that. It is worth noting that many groups in this have feuds that stretch very, very far back. I know of more than a few that hold personally grudges against my ancestors, and that's even before we consider recent years. And some of them have very long memories. But," Alistair paused for a moment, taking a bite while he thought, before continuing.

"There are some unwritten rules about this place, in addition to the written ones. One of 'em is not to go seeking vengeance for something that happened in the past without the proper setting. If you find yourself on the dueling grounds with one of them, be concerned. If you meet one in the hall, be concerned, but don't be so concerned that you start looking for a knife in your back."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC (Katherine)
“Wait. Dueling is still legal here? Can someone slap me with a glove and try to kill me?” It was suddenly very evident to Katherine just how far away from home she was. This society was a mixture of the old and new and….if it kept certain parts of the old, she was in for a rough ride. She was suddenly very very glad she’d decided to carry a pistol around. It sounded like she’d need it.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

IC:"Not that kind of dueling. Well, most of the time. A few races and individuals stick to those codes of conduct, myself included on some occasions, but most people don't. For example, if I were to glove-slap a kitsune, it could be construed as a formal declaration of a duel. If I were to glove-slap you, all it would do is get me shot.""That, and the rules surroundings duels aren't quite the same. Since the headmaster would rather we not kill each other, they're not to the death. That's not to say that death isn't possible, but I don't think there's been one in... What? Five, six years? And that one really was their own fault... Kitsunes don't like accepting defeat. Anyway, I digress. The most common form of duel here is when two people are paired up in combat classes, and those are seldom lethal unless someone is trying to make it lethal.""To cut the long-winded explanation down," Alistair rolled his eyes slightly, realizing how long he'd been speaking. "Old-fashioned duels do occur, but are rare and limited to those who acknowledge those rules. Duels in the form of sparring in class do happen, and are unavoidable."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC (Katherine)

“Mmh.” Katherine considered this for a few moments, one on hand, she could use this. As a famous author once said, if someone challenged him to a duel, he would take them kindly and forgivingly by the hand and then….take them to an isolated place and kill them. Be a useful way to remove certain types of enemies, if it came down to that. “Hm. If half of what I’ve heard about Kitsune’s is true, I’m amazed someone hasn’t destroyed them out of sheer annoyance.”

IC: Dante (Arena Complex, Debating his options)

So military nut or just plain nuts. Don't I get any more options? Ah well, doesn't look like I have much of choice. "Thanks for the suggestions," Dante nodded to both Alistair and his partner. I really need to be faster. Dante realized as he walked the few steps over to the woman he had been referred to. "So um hey," Dante started, holding out a hand to the woman covered in burns, "Name's Dante, want to be partners?"

Well, that was far from tactful, but what sort of small talk was I supposed to make. I really hate this Headmaster. Couldn't he at least given us enough time to meet others before starting the tournament. What's the point of this ridiculously early Tournament anyway, we haven't even learned anything yet.

OOC: That'd be you Humva.

IC [shanon]:

"Do I have much other of a choice?" Shanon was gazing around, and by all evidence it wasn't certain if she was actually present. She looked the boy over a bit more, noticing that he was the one that had fallen. She didn't take the hand though, instead pondering what the school security did with her shotgun. "This is certainly... odd. Not entirely what I expected of a school such as this."

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

IC:"Despite their quirks, they're a clever race. Clever, and effective. The need for effective combat methods in human form has driven the race as a whole to become quite deadly with their chosen weapons, often those that were used in the earlier periods of Japan's history. They're arrogant, but it isn't entirely unfounded."

Alistair paused once more, though this time, it was to ponder how best to initiate the change in topic. "Now, as much as I hate to be so blunt, there isn't all that much time before the tournament's start. And I prefer to have some idea of the capabilities of the person who is watching my back, and vice versa.""So... What would you say are your skills, and what would you say are your weak areas?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Dante (Arena Complex, Dumbfounded by his Choice in Partners)

When it became evident that the girl Dante had been referred to wasn't planning on shaking his hand, Dante quickly withdrew. Alright, so maybe she's not the most polite person, but eh, not really any backing out of this now. Although seriously if this backfires, I'm going to kill that Senior, this was probably his idea of a prank.

"Yeah, it does seem like an odd place," Dante agreed, "To be honest this entire world is odd. Who knew that demons and all that stuff existed, wait dumb question, you probably did." Dante sighed, this was going to be an interesting year alright, besides the whole being new here and stuff, there was still the fact that he next to nothing about what actually went on behind, as Dante had recently learned the term, the Shroud. "So um, I didn't get a name?"

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg