Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

CPU architecture is identical, bro. Not sure where you're getting "the Wii U has a Wii in it" from either. I did a quick google search and didn't come up with anything supporting it. 

*Googles*

I must be remembering that incorrectly, then. Sorry 'bout that.

Unfortunately, Google also turns up that the Wii U's disc drive doesn't accept GCN discs (tools like Devolution require you to verify your discs on a normal Wii before you can load the backups on a Wii U because of this), so it'd take more than just a firmware upgrade.

Sadly, I'm betting that the GCN controller adapter is gonna go the way of the Circle Pad Pro- it's a really cool accessory that'll help out for a few games, but in the long run, the library of games for it will be so minimal that either nobody will have them or they'll just end up in closets everywhere.

The good news for this is that it isn't a Gamestop exclusive, and it has a Smash bundle. Which at least means more people might have it.

I assure you, my adapter won't be sitting in a closet anywhere. I'm in a minority for people who know what they are doing in Smash Bros. who doesn't use a Gamecube controller for all of them. Pretty much everyone who took Smash Bros. seriously, and then some, will be using their adapter pretty regularly for a while.

But you are probably right that no games are going to support it afterwards. Still hoping they do something with GCN VC and the adapter, but as I've said many times, this is NIntendo. They don't really want my money.

Speak of the Circle Pad Pro, I'm hoping it'll work with SSB4 3DS. I need a second analogue stick in order to do fair's while moving backwards/bair's while moving forwards/dair's while not fast falling/uair's while fast falling, as well as for the very likely chance that glitches will spawn requiring the stick (assuming that both versions have similar enough engines that the same glitches occur on both). The extra grab buttons won't hurt, either.

So, I was kinda disappointed that Chrom isn't gonna be in SSB4 as a playable character, and slightly more disappointed that Lucina looks like a Marth clone (which, given the events of FE:A, is totally not surprising). However, Robin looks pretty cool, and it looks like he/she will be a pretty versatile character.

Anyone else think that it looks like SSB4 is kinda focusing more on ranged characters than it did in the past?

Really mad at Lucina. She's like Marth, except has no sweetspot, while old Marth had his speed removed, completely ruining the character. As a Marth main, I'm really disappointed in this and wish Lucina was just a costume so they could keep an actual GOOD Marth.

But Robin looks interesting.

Really mad at Lucina. She's like Marth, except has no sweetspot, while old Marth had his speed removed, completely ruining the character. As a Marth main, I'm really disappointed in this and wish Lucina was just a costume so they could keep an actual GOOD Marth.

tbh i'd never want Lucina pawned off as a costume, though i do wish more variety was brought into her as a SSB character. (then again it might be kind of a nightmare to try keeping the feel of her character from FE, the sword wielding when there's quite a few sword wielding characters while trying to make less similarities... but like, i'd feel if any company could do it it would've been nintendo which is why i'm still pretty sad :/)

tbh i'd never want Lucina pawned off as a costume, though i do wish more variety was brought into her as a SSB character. (then again it might be kind of a nightmare to try keeping the feel of her character from FE, the sword wielding when there's quite a few sword wielding characters while trying to make less similarities... but like, i'd feel if any company could do it it would've been nintendo which is why i'm still pretty sad :/)

They could have based her specials on other things, at least. I'm pretty sure most Lucina's inherited Aether from Chrom, so why not give her Aether? It could be differentiated from Ike's with a completely different animation or something!

i really want that last of us remake. if only i had a ps4... :(

I really don't see why TLoU needs a remake. The game was amazing on PS3, but did it really need the time that could have been put into other games to remake it with slightly better graphics? The game's not even a year old yet, is it? I admit, there is a clear difference in the graphics, but I think it's uncalled for. Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that many of the HD Collections on PS3 had 3 or more games on one disc, I'd think they were unnecessary, because games haven't aged so poorly that they look awful one generation later! It just seems way too soon to me.

I really don't see why TLoU needs a remake. The game was amazing on PS3, but did it really need the time that could have been put into other games to remake it with slightly better graphics? The game's not even a year old yet, is it? I admit, there is a clear difference in the graphics, but I think it's uncalled for. Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that many of the HD Collections on PS3 had 3 or more games on one disc, I'd think they were unnecessary, because games haven't aged so poorly that they look awful one generation later! It just seems way too soon to me.

The main justification I can see is to offset the likely pretty high development costs of the original, since I doubt it managed to do so last year.

hElbrZ6.gif

two reasons:

one, on a new generation the multiplayer is less likely to die therefore naughty dog can still justify DLC and potentially profit off of it

however, number 2 is a lot bigger: since the ps4 is such a bigger commercial success compared to the xbox one and the wiiu, a lot of people who only owned a 360 or wii last gen are now buying the ps4 since its the 'popular' console and this way they get to play it.

i want it because i didn't buy it last gen, only borrowed it, and i won't buy a game that isn't the definitive version.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

The main justification I can see is to offset the likely pretty high development costs of the original, since I doubt it managed to do so last year.

I can agree with that.

two reasons:

one, on a new generation the multiplayer is less likely to die therefore naughty dog can still justify DLC and potentially profit off of it

however, number 2 is a lot bigger: since the ps4 is such a bigger commercial success compared to the xbox one and the wiiu, a lot of people who only owned a 360 or wii last gen are now buying the ps4 since its the 'popular' console and this way they get to play it.

i want it because i didn't buy it last gen, only borrowed it, and i won't buy a game that isn't the definitive version.

The multiplayer died already? I actually never tried it on PS3. I'm not too big on online multiplayer in games generally.

But your second point makes the most sense to me. Though I'd rather Sony just do backwards compatibility, they didn't, and a number of people probably missed out on the game.

I generally buy the definitive version of games, but something that just came out last year would benefit a lot more from a remake on the PS5 or something, years down the road.

I kinda feel like TLOUR is just a GOTY edition, just on the new hardware. And it is a definite system-seller to non-PS3 owners, as I know plenty of people who only had a 360 last gen who are jumping over to PS4 this gen because of TLOU, and releasing a PS4 version this soon means it can still ride on the hype from last year.

Also, this is just my opinion, but... PS2 games haven't aged well at all. Sure, they still look fine on SDTVs, but playing a PS2 game on an HDTV looks almost as bad as playing a PS1 game on an SDTV. Most of my PS2 library is available in HD on PS3, so I've really been able to compare, and it's amazing what even a simple rerender can do.

I kinda feel like TLOUR is just a GOTY edition, just on the new hardware. And it is a definite system-seller to non-PS3 owners, as I know plenty of people who only had a 360 last gen who are jumping over to PS4 this gen because of TLOU, and releasing a PS4 version this soon means it can still ride on the hype from last year.

Also, this is just my opinion, but... PS2 games haven't aged well at all. Sure, they still look fine on SDTVs, but playing a PS2 game on an HDTV looks almost as bad as playing a PS1 game on an SDTV. Most of my PS2 library is available in HD on PS3, so I've really been able to compare, and it's amazing what even a simple rerender can do.

I'm planning to trade in my PS3 for one of the 60GB backwards compatible models. They should upscale PS2 games, and I'm kind curious to see how many of the upscaled PS2 games compare to their PS3 ports.

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

They look awful because you're playing them on a screen it was never really meant to support, at a resolution it was rarely (if ever) supposed to run at. Of course it was going to look awful, the hardware just wasn't made with the idea of HDTVs being common place in mind (tho the Xbox and the Gamecube both were; good luck finding the proper cables for them on the cheap, though).

If you still have a CRT, just use that for pre-360 consoles. If you don't, or don't have the room, maybe invest in a good upscaler? With a few AV splitters, you'd arguably be able to make your entire library look better on an HD screen (though the input lag is going to be nasty on most of them and a good one without lag is going to cost you a lot; so I just grin and bare with the blurry video on my TV).

Edited by Elric of Melnibone

hElbrZ6.gif

They look awful because you're playing them on a screen it was never really meant to support, at a resolution it was rarely (if ever) supposed to run at. Of course it was going to look awful, the hardware just wasn't made with the idea of HDTVs being common place in mind (tho the Xbox and the Gamecube both were; good luck finding the proper cables for them on the cheap, though).

If you still have a CRT, just use that for pre-360 consoles. If you don't, or don't have the room, maybe invest in a good upscaler? With a few AV splitters, you'd arguably be able to make your entire library look better on an HD screen (though the input lag is going to be nasty on most of them and a good one without lag is going to cost you a lot; so I just grin and bare with the blurry video on my TV).

From the look of it, Xbox Component cables and "official high definition AV packs" aren't that expensive. eBay had them ranged from $4 to $15, in a quick search I just did.

As for Gamecube, yeah, good luck. Most models don't even support component, and the cables themselves are like $180ish. It's ridiculous.

If your PS2 looks particularly bad, a component cable for PS2 is dirt cheap. I got mine for around $3 (specifically to record gameplay off a PS3, since HDCP, but the cable will work on both consoles.)

I was more or less referring to this  in my last post:

Anyways, I'd like to get a (good) component cable for my PS2, as both my universal component cables don't work proplerly with it (both work fine in SD mode and don't work as component cables with it, while one works fine in HD with my PS3 and the other (which I haven't tested with my PS3) doesn't do HD with my WiiU), although I'm wondering if it's a problem with my system.

However, that's really low on my priority list, as pretty much my entire PS2 library (except Xenosaga and Final Fantasy XII) has some HD port, giving me no reason to really ever touch my PS2.

And here's a recent HD comparison clip from Kingdom Hearts 2, although the SD version looks worse during actual gameplay:

The multiplayer died already? I actually never tried it on PS3. I'm not too big on online multiplayer in games generally.

idk if its dead on ps3 or not but, logically, in 2015 or 2016, most people won't be using their ps3s anymore if they have a ps4 so TLOU on ps4 will die further along the timeline

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I was more or less referring to this  in my last post:

Anyways, I'd like to get a (good) component cable for my PS2, as both my universal component cables don't work proplerly with it (both work fine in SD mode and don't work as component cables with it, while one works fine in HD with my PS3 and the other (which I haven't tested with my PS3) doesn't do HD with my WiiU), although I'm wondering if it's a problem with my system.

However, that's really low on my priority list, as pretty much my entire PS2 library (except Xenosaga and Final Fantasy XII) has some HD port, giving me no reason to really ever touch my PS2.

And here's a recent HD comparison clip from Kingdom Hearts 2, although the SD version looks worse during actual gameplay:

Ew, a universal cable? I can't say I'd ever recommend going with that . I got a good PS2 cable off of eBay for less than $5 a few months back. A PS2 with component and progressive scan looks somewhat presentable.

Was that video comparison using the SD version upscaled, or actually displayed in SD?

idk if its dead on ps3 or not but, logically, in 2015 or 2016, most people won't be using their ps3s anymore if they have a ps4 so TLOU on ps4 will die further along the timeline

Well, despite Wii's online being discontinued (and pretty bad in the first place), a surprising number of people are still playing Mario Kart Wii online, so I'm sure it won't die all together, but I see what you mean.

PS4 controller is the only way I play PC games now. I used to use PS3 controllers (which were a total hassle to get set up, and didn't work right half the time), or sometimes a mediocre gamepad, because being primarily a console gamer, I absolutely hate keyboard/mouse setups. PS4 is pretty much plug & play I haven't had any issues with it at all so far.

In fact it'd be my main PS3 controller, if the rumble/motion sensor/home button worked when using it on PS3. Kinda hope they keep updating the PS3's compatibility with the DS4, as both my DS3's are dying on me (random button inputs, buttons not working, though it doesn't happen too often) and I'd like to avoid having to get another DS3 if possible...

I don't see the hype behind Destiny.

It just seems like an over glorified MMO.

I'd say it's one part Bungie, one part being marketed to he** and back since it was announced, and one part the alpha/beta being good.

I was in the alpha and really enjoyed what I played. I can see myself purchasing it on/around release.

I don't see the hype behind Destiny.

It just seems like an over glorified MMO.

ehhhh it's not really what a glorified MMO would be, though. It's a MMO shooter and there's not really a ton of those around ( i can only think of Destiny and Defiance, and Defiance was kinda terrible), so when one done like this comes about it gets hyped and talked about (like, it's not part of an older genre of games that have many entries under their name that are well-known, well-played and created/recreated ideas that became a core to the genre over time and isn't a new entry in that genre that holds itself up as "revolutionary" or "will put this most famous monster game down" with a bunch of fans claiming it has no faults and will be the best thing since sliced bread... like a lot of MMORPG's do). 

it's just different, which is what seems to draw a lot of people to it (that and it's done by Bungie, who created the popular Halo series and other series, so there's some expectations there)

tbh im not terribly interested in it -- i'm not big on shooters in general anymore (and the colors seem kind of drab, unless i just saw the wrong images -- i liked Halo a bit more 'cuz it was visually brighter and more vibrant and comparatively it had a decent story).

But i might get it eventually, though it sorta depends if it takes enough steps away from the overdone FPS theme (gritty broody dudes doing gritty dirty things in gritty and dark and stale environments complete with a terrible story/backstory)

but i mean like if they make a hot pink costume complete with a gun that fires rainbow lasers, yeah I'd prolly buy it just for that (re: reasons I bought GW2, even though I never did get The Dreamer). and also 'cuz then i can bring back my halo MP-character (giant pink Spartan with a giant heart on their armor). 

Same, I'm not into shooters as I used to be. The social aspect just isn't the same as it used to be. People don't talk publicly anymore. They're always in their own party chat so you can't hear them. I know people argue that they do that because they don't want to hear 12-year-olds shouting profanities and such, but that argument goes the same way in that the 12s will most likely be in their own party chat too. It's rather limiting; it's more difficult to meet new people in gaming. 

Anyway, the shooters I'm into now are more cooperative play than competitive. I played the Destiny Beta and I enjoyed it. I don't think I'll buy it when it comes out because I don't want to pay for Gold subscription and such. I'm into Warframe now. However, the lore behind Destiny is interesting and the gunplay is similar in feel to Bungie's Halo where movement isn't just run/walk, but allows for an emphasis on jumping for maneuvers in combat. Also, being in the dark is absolutely terrifying. I think the major nitpick I have is lack of environmental change when you visit other planets. I expected the moon to have lower gravity but it doesn't seem like there was a change in gravitational force compared to being on Earth. 

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

while we're in this vein, the halo 2 remake looks like 98.5% photorealistic so ninny to you, ghoti, cause you said we were far away from that.

like, not in motion, mind you, but otherwise.

I'll need to see it myself first, but at the very least, the motion will look at best uncanny for the near future.