Set Review: 44018 Furno Jet Machine

44018_Furno_Jet_Machine_Review_teaser.jpgUp next in our look at the 2014 Hero Factory sets we have 44018 Furno Jet Machine, kindly provided by LEGO. I guess at this point he's not a rookie anymore, and he's got his own huge mech now to help defend against the invasion from below. But should you add him to your collection? Read and watch on to find out!View the full article

Interesting review, this definitely reinforces my desire to purchase this new wave, which I'm sure is what LEGO intended.

I do have one question, though; when reviewing the minifigure, it was said that the chest armor and helmet could be used with normal minifigs, but the chest armor appears to have too thin a slot to fit anything other than a Skeleton body. Is that just an illusion produced by the angle it was laid at when photographed, or can it only occommodate skeleton torsos?

Forgive me, I have yet to watch the video review, so the images and text were my only guides in forming the above question.

Edited by Bominominomu Nemo

Do you believe in magic?

Very nice pictures of a very beautiful set. I really like how the Hero Factory design has evolved over the years- it's going in a great direction. Is there really an ejecting cockpit? That is so cool.

Curious: To the mini invaders have a sort of jumping feature like the mini Visorak did? I thought that was advertised somewhere.

Nevermind- just had to read the other review. :P

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

I do have one question, though; when reviewing the minifigure, it was said that the chest armor and helmet could be used with normal minifigs, but the chest armor appears to have too thin a slot to fit anything other than a Skeleton body. Is that just an illusion produced by the angle it was laid at when photographed, or can it only occommodate skeleton torsos?

I have tested it and they do fit on normal minifigs.

Is there really an ejecting cockpit? That is so cool.

It doesn't actually eject, you have to pull it off. It's connected via a single ball and socket joint.

The minifigure head in this set is 212 Light Royal Blue, which Bricklink and some other AFOL databases call Bright Light Blue. In constraction sets, the only time Light Royal Blue was ever used previously was set 8519 Big Chill.Personally, one small dispute I have with the review is a simple matter of phrasing. The review states that Furno has wrist articulation but now elbows, whereas I'd say instead it has elbow articulation but no wrists. This is just because I have a much easier time perceiving the Y-joint and fire shooter together as a sort of arm-cannon that replaces the forearm (much like the Megabuster in the MegaMan franchise) than perceiving the Y-joint with its small size and (in this case) limited articulation as a hand holding a weapon.Anyway, this set is almost certainly my favorite of the new sets. It's remarkably elegant in its design, with a beefy and well-armored torso skeleton, a vibrant color scheme, and some very tasteful symmetry. The shell that Furno's feet are nested in works quite well for that purpose, and the Furno mini-robot himself is really well designed.Overall, I can't wait to pick this up for myself! But since it's only coming out over here in March, I'm glad I will have a lot of other themes to tide me over in the meantime. Hopefully some of the new pieces will be added to LEGO Digital Designer early in the year as well, so I'll get to MOC with them even before the sets show up over here.

Definitely like this more than the Evo Walker. This is a mid-sized set, correct? Like Pyrox or the main-line figures?

I like how beefy he is, but I get a simplistic playskool vibe - I feel that there are too many large pieces on him that could have been replaced with multiple, more complex ones .

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Definitely like this more than the Evo Walker. This is a mid-sized set, correct? Like Pyrox or the main-line figures? I like how beefy he is, but I get a simplistic playskool vibe - I feel that there are too many large pieces on him that could have been replaced with multiple, more complex ones .

Yes, it is, although this year the mid-size sets are priced at $15 like the Chima and Super Heroes constraction sets instead of $13 like all mid-size BIONICLE and Hero Factory sets since 2008.I don't mind for a couple reasons. First of all, there's also an increase in piece count — even if you subtract the pieces for the minifigure and minifigure accessories, Flyer Beast vs. Breez still has 10% more pieces than any other mid-size constraction set has ever had, including the Chima constraction sets. Second, this makes comparison shopping easier, since every set's price is a multiple of $5. Thus, Furno Jet Machine is equivalent to one and a half Evo Walkers, Splitter Beast is equivalent to two Jaw Beasts, and Evo XL Machine is equivalent to two and a half Evo Walkers or an Evo Walker plus a Furno Jet Machine.On a side note, Eurobricks has reviews up of all the new HF sets, and they confirm something that makes me like the minifigures even more — the eyeholes in the helmets are designed so they line up perfectly with standard minifigure eyes! I was hoping that would be the case.

44018_Furno_Jet_Machine_Review_teaser.jpUp next in our look at the 2014 Hero Factory sets we have 44018 Furno Jet Machine, kindly provided by LEGO. I guess at this point he's not a rookie anymore, and he's got his own huge mech now to help defend against the invasion from below. But should you add him to your collection? Read and watch on to find out!View the full article

Are the armor snap pieces on the mech all the same size? If so, can we get a pic where the silver printed arm piece is on the torso and the red torso piece is on the arm. Just so it;s more symmetrical. Thanks.

Are the armor snap pieces on the mech all the same size? If so, can we get a pic where the silver printed arm piece is on the torso and the red torso piece is on the arm. Just so it;s more symmetrical. Thanks.

The Bright Red and Silver Metallic shells are all the same size (5M). The Titanium Metallic ones on the upper body and lower legs are just 4M. The swap you suggest should be entirely possible. Personally I think it looks best as-is (otherwise, the torso would barely have any red on it), but perhaps a picture of it rearranged to what you suggest would be enough to change my mind. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

The Bright Red and Silver Metallic shells are all the same size (5M). The Titanium Metallic ones on the upper body and lower legs are just 4M. The swap you suggest should be entirely possible. Personally I think it looks best as-is (otherwise, the torso would barely have any red on it), but perhaps a picture of it rearranged to what you suggest would be enough to change my mind.

Since there is a hero factory "H" on the printed piece, it would place that on the mechs torso, kinda like the heros themselves. I thought it might look better that way.

Also, I noticed you guys have every set but the big two heads monster reviewed. Is that on the way or was that one set not available for reviewing?

Also, I noticed you guys have every set but the big two heads monster reviewed. Is that on the way or was that one set not available for reviewing?

Give us time, we can't post all of these at once!

Oh no rush guys! :D I was just curisous.

Between BPZ and Eurobricks, you guys are the only two sites with pictoral reviews. Now, both sites have done a great job reviewing the new sets, but unlike Euro's reviews, you guys take pics of all the parts spread out so that we have a sense of everything that's included in a set. I've always appreciated that little feature and have used those parts layout pictures in the past for quick referencing when considering a set purchase.

Edited by Takanuva The 7th Toa