What's Wrong With The Name 'Teridax'?

I for one didn't mind the name reveal at all; then again, I was still just a kid at that point so I didn't give much thought to it. I think the reason so many people don't like it however is because it was one of the biggest signs that BIONICLE was moving away from its tribal roots to a pure Sci-Fi story as well as robbing Teridax specifically much of his mystique (again something I didn't mind and actually liked. for that matter). I guess it just boils down to your taste in villains: do you like abstract, eldritch gods of evil more or do you like the more mundane, down to earth, and relateable world conquerors? Personal the latter appealed more to me than the former because it felt like that Teridax was now actually a character rather than the abstract force of nature that the Makuta was.

• Upvote 3

I did not really mind the name change.

Any one who says Teridax sounds "dumb" or "too similiar to [insert thing here]", well, that is personal opinion. It's also a by-product of how we think of sounds in our language.. I think Teridax has a sharper edge to it, which very well reflects the change from a rounder, brutal "Makuta" to a more real, sharp and cutting Teridax.

Bear in mind that many fans liked both names and were fine with both names.

To answer the question: it was a symptom of the change Bionicle went through. And fans don't like change, as much as it can be good for the franchise/story. If Teridax was named another villain like "Miserix" or "Malovelaz" or "Doofus" or anyhting else the fans would still not like it because it was simply not Makuta. And it's a shame. Without the name Teridax all the Makuta in Narrative Nui would be called "the red Makuta", "creepy green Makuta", "other creepy Makuta".

In the end, it's up to the individual fan. Some dislikrd the mystique being taken away. Others liked it. Similiar to, as Magus puts above, how you like your villain: eldritch terror or cunning conqueror. I liked the change of name because it suited his change in character perspective, Teridax looks like an evil conqueror's name, Makuta looks like a name that would fit an eldritch force of nature.

• Upvote 3

After playing MNOG, I began to see why a good amount of fans reacted as they did at the revealing of Makuta's name... Once he became Teridax, some of the mystery and power he had was metaphorically removed.. I think it made him seem a tad weaker for some reason, but I don't have a huge problem with it personally... :P

Eh... I always thought "Makuta" had a nicer ring to it than Teridax it always reminded me way too much of those villain names where they take a world like insidious and add or remove parts of it. Also finding out Greg named him after his WoW character really did not help matters much. I will agree that naming him did take away some of his mystery.

Edited by Scanty Demon

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Eh... I always thought "Makuta" had a nicer ring to it than Teridax it always reminded me way too much of those villain names where they take a world like insidious and add or remove parts of it. Also finding out Greg named him after his WoW character really did not help matters much. I will agree that naming him did take away some of his mystery.

I don't think he was named after Greg's WoW character. My interpretation was that they picked out the name a little while before they revealed it, and in the meantime, Greg made a WoW character with that name as a bit of an inside joke with himself. But looking back on it, perhaps my interpretation is needlessly complicated...?

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Thanks for putting my point into plain English, Just Norik. Sometimes you just need to give it to 'em straightforward. :P

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

When they gave Makuta name "Teridax" some form of mystery wanished from him. I compare this to the name of The Doctor. If he had been named in the Name of The Doctor episode, it would probably take away some mystery of his character. So I prefer that there are some things that won't be named in the stories that I follow/have followed. Same as Yoda's species name in Star Wars, Lucas has said that they won't name that specie ever.

• Upvote 1

Brace yourselves, Klaanon is coming...

When they gave Makuta name "Teridax" some form of mystery wanished from him. I compare this to the name of The Doctor. If he had been named in the Name of The Doctor episode, it would probably take away some mystery of his character. So I prefer that there are some things that won't be named in the stories that I follow/have followed. Same as Yoda's species name in Star Wars, Lucas has said that they won't name that specie ever.

They did reveal his name, remember? It's "Please" :P

This seems to be Greg's thinking on not naming TSO, so, at least we have that to hang on to.

• Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

They did reveal his name, remember? It's "Please" :P

This seems to be Greg's thinking on not naming TSO, so, at least we have that to hang on to.

Yeah, in both cases the storymaker had to learn the idea the hard way -- don't forget the widespread complaints over miticloriens (though that wasn't just about the name, but the people who complain about the concept seem to have missed that it was always there; a natural, as in something like genetic, difference between Force-sensitive people and others; the only two things that changed were the name and that it wasn't just a genetic trait but other organisms living inside them, and the complainers usually complained about the style related to the name, not about organisms versus genetics.... aaaanywho...).

• Upvote 3

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Also finding out Greg named him after his WoW character really did not help matters much.

Good grief. Is that really true? :blink:

Okay, I think I might have misread the initial BS01 description but I think Greg did use Teridax's name for a WoW character he made. Here's the quote:

Greg Farshtey used Teridax's name as one of his World of Warcraft character's names. He later deleted the character.

Either way it didn't help with accepting the name.

Edited by Scanty Demon

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

I understand the importance of mystery, but I don't think it applies in this case as the character in question was always referred to as 'Makuta'. Yes, it may have technically been 'the Makuta' in the storyline (at least some of the time), but the big bad guy's name was universally 'Makuta'. And I think dislike of 'Teridax' is mostly down to the departure from the name everyone was accustomed to.

I'm a little surprised to see an attempt at maintaining mystery in Star Wars, given that pretty much every character in the franchise could have a biography published with the amount of backstory the 'expanded universe' has filled in.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

nothing, just butthurt fans. I love that we got a name and the idea of a Makuta species was really cool. I'm sad that we dont get the Shadowed One's name because of the backlash

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I don’t get why people don’t like the name Teridax. I mean, when he was introduced, he was called “The” Makuta. It would sound like that there is more than one “Makuta”. I always wondered about that until it is revealed to be a species name while the guy’s real name is Teridax. That would explain the “The” in there. I like the name Teridax because it sounds scary and intimidating, as it sounds like the word “terror”, which fits him very well. So, I don’t think this backlash is necessary. It’s not like you would call Bowser from Mario “The Koopa” because he is a Koopa. Greg is just slowly revealing why Teridax was called “the” Makuta at first.

As for Tuma, well, I don’t know about that name, but it’s sounds less intimidating.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Yeah i dont use his name that often either as Makuta sounds far more intimidating.

Hey Toa of Ice - 1987, please make sure to check the date of the last post in a topic before replying. The last post in this topic was made in 2014-- nearly 4 years ago! This counts as topic revival.

If  you would like to continue the discussion, you're welcome to create a new topic. :)

Topic closed.

• Upvote 1