The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

Heh. I was also going for my RPG to be after the Great Catacylsm. Only I took it a bit further than you - I killed three million citizens of the Southern Continent by dropping the stars on them.Why do you think it says Population 100,000 by the end of the canon? Because I (but mostly GregF) murdered them all! Muahahahahaha!The idea looks alright, but there are some problems. Namely, B6 just said the entire RPG has to be set underground. Which makes this not work.Now, more on the subject of the RPG itself - being one of three groups with a single goal and no freedom to do anything else is a pretty restricting idea. Plus, why Miserix? Why would he be the choice, and why would he be willing to accept? Why not a random Toa somewhere in the universe? Maybe Chiara Krom, destroyer of worlds. Whatever.Anyways, there's one more issue - what's 1000 years to these beings? Artahka has been alive for over 100 times that, as have most of the Hand agents. 1000 years isn't that long to wait. Plus, the entire universe pretty much agrees that all beings have a destiny except Sparhawk, and only the Toa Mata can successfully reawaken Mata-Nui. Anybody else would, somehow, fail. Somehow.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

Much as I like the idea of telling Destiny to go jump off a cliff, the other points Zehvor mentioned are quite valid. The story is restricted and relies a bit to much on assumption. Random Mataron 00231 might be willing to be possessed. Or maybe Bob. Y'know, from down the street?

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Heh. I was also going for my RPG to be after the Great Catacylsm. Only I took it a bit further than you - I killed three million citizens of the Southern Continent by dropping the stars on them.Why do you think it says Population 100,000 by the end of the canon? Because I (but mostly GregF) murdered them all! Muahahahahaha!The idea looks alright, but there are some problems. Namely, B6 just said the entire RPG has to be set underground. Which makes this not work.Now, more on the subject of the RPG itself - being one of three groups with a single goal and no freedom to do anything else is a pretty restricting idea. Plus, why Miserix? Why would he be the choice, and why would he be willing to accept? Why not a random Toa somewhere in the universe? Maybe Chiara Krom, destroyer of worlds. Whatever.Anyways, there's one more issue - what's 1000 years to these beings? Artahka has been alive for over 100 times that, as have most of the Hand agents. 1000 years isn't that long to wait. Plus, the entire universe pretty much agrees that all beings have a destiny except Sparhawk, and only the Toa Mata can successfully reawaken Mata-Nui. Anybody else would, somehow, fail. Somehow.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:
Yeah, good points. This discussion is near pointless now the B6 answered my question in the contest topic, but I'll answer your points here anyway.The reasons I chose Miserix were that:
  1. Tren Krom wanted a powerful body to be able to do his job (ie a Makuta). Toa wouldn't work so well because their powers don't carry through after a body-swap. All Chiara Krom would get would be a volitak and TK's mental powers. Not nearly so impressivr as a Giant Dragon Makuta Krom. I arbitrarily decided that Makuta powers work differently,so he gets to keep all those shadow/kraata powers. So yeah, Miserix krom is one really overpowered beast. That's why the whole universe is fighting to control him.
  2. He's already locked up on a remote island, so he wouldn't mind being stuck on TK's island so much. It might even be a step up for him, because TK could control his island, and all Miserix could do in captivity was play shadow-hand tag with the Klakk.
  3. Miserix is awesome. Why wouldn't I use him?

I think Miserix would accept because:

1. As said above, anywhere is better than Artidax.
  2. He hates Teridax and his plan, and will do anything to stop it.
  3. There's a chance he might get his body and freedom back at the end.

I'm going to disagree on the destiny point. All beings have a destiny, but whether they achieve it is another matter. Some, like Kingdom Universe Matoro, failed miserably. If beings like Artakha know this (and they probably would), they might also assume that one can achieve another's destiny. Maybe the Toa Mata can achieve their destiny through delegating the task to Tren Krom.Also, I don't think that time is really the issue here. Sure, a thousand years isn't much by these beings' standards, but think of this from their perspective. The toa have failed to show up. Clearly, something has gone wrong, and as far as anyone knows, they may never arrive. Meanwhile, the universe is being torn apart and Mata Nui has been struck down. As be being dedicated to the Great Spirit's service, are you going to sit there and do nothing? No! You are going to do something about it, to restore the Great Spirit to health any way you can. So when a powerful ball of gelatin offers to reboot the robot, you're probably going to accept.As for the restrictiveness... I have nothing to counteract that. Yes, so far going after Miserix Krom or sabotaging the other teams is all I have come up with. If this were still a viable idea, I might do more, but yes, I admit this was a major flaw.So now, back to the drawing board. Maybe something about the Archives Massacre after the Matoran Civil War...I'll get back to you in a bit.

ppg2.png

About Miserix -

1. But... he wouldn't get any of the Makuta's powers in the process, either. He would retain Miserix's mask and his giant body, but that's not really any more potent than, say, taking control of the Kanohi Dragon. Besides, what's the point of a giant body against the Brotherhood? You're just a bigger target for Visorak and Rahkshi and all of those other lovely servants of theirs. There's plenty of choices you could take. Beings like Axonn have strong, powerful bodies, but don't make a fit out of it. Or just a Toa or something. If you still have your full psychic powers, you don't need the powers of that body. You just rip enemies apart with your mind.
  2. But then he's not gaining anything from the deal. He's just getting moved from one prison to another, that one complete with a butt-ugly body.
  3. So what if he's awesome? It's the character that's awesome. If Tren Krom is in Miserix's body, it's not Miserix anymore, it's Tren Krom. What you're saying isn't that you like the character Miserix, you just like the body he's in.

About his accepting -

1. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.
  2. This is also true.
  3. There's a chance, but it's a small one. This is, again, the main problem. Miserix is a Makuta - strong, proud, and incredibly powerful. I can't see him willingly surrendering his body, even if it meant a shot at Teridax's plan. It would be like if you had just gotten tossed in prison by your enemy since childhood, and then you had man in a comma start talking in your mind and saying, "Hey! You can live in here, and I'll use you to beat that guy up!" You'd have to wonder why they could do it, while you supposedly could not. Altogether, I just don't see it.

About destiny - Those are all alternate dimensions diverging from the main one, while Bionicle canon takes place in the main continuity - the 'original', if you will. The fact is, unless otherwise stated, in order to get to a certain event, everything else before (unless otherwise stated) follows the path from the canon. The Toa Mata had a single job, and they were the only ones who could do it. Since we have to assume this, then so far, everybody in the universe has done as their destiny required them up to however far they could have gotten at that point. As the RPG is set in an alternate reality, destiny's may change. But unless somebody else has already changed the universal fate, then Artahka would have no reason not to believe this is the true reality, and the Mata will still appear and succeed when the time is right.About time - Again, then it's as Mata-Nui willed it. They will come when they come, and if it takes one year or one thousand, all that matters is that they will succeed in awakening Mata-Nui.About Tren Krom (New) - Why would Tren Krom contact anybody in the first place? It's obvious in Federation of Fear that he had absolutely no idea what was happening outside, nor did he particularly care.~~~~Now then, let's see what you have next.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Toa:Toa are biomechanical beings, about seven feet in height, clad in armor. They are infused with elemental energy, which manifests itself in some limited abilities which vary element to element. Each element has its own distinctive coloring. Toa wear kanohi masks, and their physical abilities are halfed without them. These kanohi have a single power, which increases over time.Elemental power:Before the concept of control over elements was finalized in the toa, they were given slightly heightened forms of what would one day be the inherent abilities of matoran.Fire:Resistance to heat; a 100 degree, humid day to them is as bad as a moderate, cool day is to other elements.Ice:Resistance to cold: they would treat a 10 degree day the same way other elements would treat a relatively cool day.Water:Inherent skill and ease in the water, good stamina, and the ability to hold their breath for several minutes.Stone:Strength between twice and thrice that of other elements, tougher and able to bear pain better than other elements (except iron).Earth:Perhaps the most adept, earth toa can sense vibrations in the earth, have greater arms strength that all other elements besides stone, are skilled diggers, and have excellent night vision.Air:Although they can be at least mentally clumsy underground, toa of air are nimble and swift, and like monkeys in the trees.Kanohi:Almost like Kraata, Kanohi have stages of growth almost, ranging from one to six. Unlike them, however, a kanohi user whose kanohi is level 3 can use level 1 or 2’s ability, although not at once.Hau:1: Repulse shield: user can make a 4X4 energy shield in front of him, able to repel some attacks. Those of great force will either send him flying, or make his shield collapse, depending on the attack strength. The shield, however, can only be activated for up to five minutes.2: Absorb shield: Instead of redirecting attacks, it absorbs some of their force. The weakness, obviously, is speed and force. A Kakama user slamming into the shield would overload it, forcing it to deactivate. The shield is 5X5, and can be held in place for up to ten minutes.3: Energy-bubble: A spherical shield of energy, protecting the user from attacks from any side. It has the same resistance as an absorb shield, and can be held in place for up to fifteen minutes.4: Regenerating bubble: A spherical energy shield around the user, it can by default be held in place for up to ten minutes. However, any force striking the shield gives it more power, depending on the size. It is more resistant than any previous levels, but weak against crushing weights such as a rockfall, or disrupting powers such as molecular disruption.5: Force Field: A spherical bubble that protects about a yard around the user. It can be held for up to one hour, and is slightly stronger than the level 4 Hau. It takes a half hour to recharge.6: Unitive Shield: Like the Force Field, but its power can be shared with up to twelve nearby (50 feet) people. It can be help up for two hours, and takes only ten minutes to regenerate.Breathing:Miru:1: Propels up to 100 feet into the air, and allows him to land with the same impact as a normal jump would have. In short, it gives the user the ability to jump great distances.2: Lowers the user’s gravity to allow the person to levitate, although not unlimited levitation. It also grants some limited propulsion to allow the user to move in the air.3: Gives some levitating abilities in order to allow the user to get off the ground, but thi power mainly increases the propulsion of the user. Slowing down is achieved by moving the body in the opposite direction that the user is headed. When in the air and not moving, the user will slowly drift to the ground.4: Greatly reduces the user’s gravity, although not quite; standard Miru power, basically.5: This power grants controlled propulsion and some levitation. In short, a mentally guided ,more powerful version of 3.6: Gives highly controlled propulsion as well as full, controlled, levatative abilities. The propulsion can be used to achieve limited bursts of speed, but not as controlled or sustainable as any form of Kakama. This ability can be shared with up to twelve people in the nearest fifty feet.Kakama:1: Allows the user to go into bursts of speed up to 60 miles an hour for about a half minute. The power takes a half minute to recharge. The person moves faster (about 15 miles per hour) normally.2: Always on at a low level. It allows the user to move faster (20 miles per hour) as well as being more agile. Gives speed bursts allowing the user to move at speeds up to 60 miles per hour for a full minute. User must wait one minute before using the burst again.3: Allows the user to move up to 60 miles per hour.4: Allows user to move at speeds up to 120 miles per hour.5: Allows user to move at speeds up to 240 miles per hour.6: Allows user to move at speeds up to 480 miles per hour. Ability can be shared with up to a dozen people up to fifty feet away.Kaukau:1: Long wing, allowing user to run thrice the amount of distance a trained athlete would before running out of breath; also can hold breath as long as a Ga matoran. Limited resistance to air born poisons of any form.2: Twice the abilities of 1.3: Able to breath any substance without harm for up to five minutes.4: Unlimited water breathing, extended breath.5: Ability to breath any substance unharmed; can be shared with up to six nearby people.6: Ability to breath any substance whatsoever, including water, without harm; never runs out of breath through exertion or through physical force (getting the wind knocked out of them). Abilities can be shared with up to twelve nearby people.This, so far, is my power level for my RPG idea. What does everyone think? are the powers evenly balanced and increased?

Dat chart. Oh my gosh. That looks like my initial idea for classes in that Elder Scrolls RPG, and I based it directly off the video game, which was numbers.The biggest problem with this set up is that it will fill the main topic up with clutter. If this is all you have, it looks a bit unsightly, and is highly restricting. The more options you have, the more clutter. Personally, I think just going with basic mask powers would work the best - maybe saying half potency or something at certain points. Or faulty - a mask of water breathing that doesn't initially let you breathe in anything deeper than a kiddy pool, but as you grow more adept, reaches full power levels.Now, anyways, I think I should answer your question. I think it looks balanced. Enough. Though like I said - too much room on the topic, or not enough options. One of those two will happen. I guess you could get more creative and have a chart or something made up on Excel, then save it as a picture and link it. But otherwise....-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

I searched my bag for the scroll. Where was it? Without it, I would be lost among these tunnels...these endless tunnels...My heart sank abruptly when the realization hit. I set it down on a rock to read it maybe a few Bio back. There was nothing I could do now. I was lost. The thought that civilization lie above and salvation below drove me insane. I had to find it, take it back, and purge the darkness. But even if i found it, how would I return? My map was gone.I had failed.Uto-Metru used to be a bustling utopia of a city. The large domelike cavern that encompassed it was visited daily by a spectrum of different beings of all sizes and shapes. They came seeking work and fortune. But most of all, they came for The Catacombs: a mysterious system of caverns built even before the city was founded. Legend has it that a great and ancient treasure lies in the deepest reaches of this maze, and the one that finds it will be granted untold power.Eventually, however, all power attracts the attention of those who seek it for evil.A Makuta known as Pharax struck with an army of Rahkshi. The locals barely stood a chance. The city was closed off, trapping the locals along with any fortune-seekers that happened to be in it at the time. While Pharax enslaved Matoran to work endlessly in the catacombs, he ruled over Uto-Metru with an iron fist. Organized resistance groups have formed, and soon, they plan to take Uto-Metru back...Locations:The Forge: Uto-Metru runs on energy supplied by a geothermal vent. That energy is harnessed with a massive machine known as The Forge, a massive dome-shaped engine that runs nonstop. Whoever controls this controls the city, though Pharax has it heavily guarded.Tavan Square: This square is named after the founder of Uto-Metru and serves as the main gathering place for citizens. Most major public events took place here before Pharax invaded the city. It is still used for public events, though they mostly involve Pharax asserting his rule over his people.The Catacombs: An expansive system of caves and tunnels underneath Uto-Metru. Wild, vicious Rahi stalk the passageways, and few who venture there return. An ancient treasure is hidden somewhere in these tunnels, but it hasn't been found yet.Well, this is the basic outline for my potential contest entry. Thoughts? Suggestions?

67tlbk.png

I once set down a scroll nine feet behind me, too. I lost it then, too. Of course, I was also suffering from blindness, paralysis, and short-term memory loss at the time. I probably could have found it if it were only two of those, though.You do know what the word catacombs means, right? A subterranean passage used for religious practices. Mostly for storing the dead.Now... Ulto-Metru is inside its own massive cavern, and the catacombs are below? Or are you saying it's above, and the cavern is the dome around it? If you want the idea to work in this contest, it needs to be the first. But if it is... then why would people come for fame or fortune? If you go underground, you're pretty desperate. We could use a reason for that.The locations are pretty simplistic so far, and I really don't get the feel for how Ulto-Metru is supposed to be... not at all. And other things. Like, for instance, when is this taking place? Where is Ulto-Metru? Why did Pharax attack it? How did his army defeat the massive number of Toa characters and take the city (because we all know people can't go without having powerful characters :P) Who are the people living here, other than him? Also, Pharax has them in the catacombs working, but for what? Are there mines there to? Or does he have them looting dead bodies for him?All I see is that you made a city and had it taken over by a bad guy, and it's situated over tunnels with the coolest name you could think up. That's cool. But what isn't cool is the fact that you start to give us information, but don't elaborate on any of it. So yeah.So my thoughts are - work on it. Tell us about the factions. Tell us more about the locations. For the love of God, please give us a map. Even if it's MS Paint. The rules and character creation are obviously also necessary, but that's a bit more obvious. And tell us a lot more about the backstory - this is shorter than most summaries are. It needs a lot more meet and description. So yes. Work at it.*That was a joke.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Dat chart. Oh my gosh. That looks like my initial idea for classes in that Elder Scrolls RPG, and I based it directly off the video game, which was numbers.The biggest problem with this set up is that it will fill the main topic up with clutter. If this is all you have, it looks a bit unsightly, and is highly restricting. The more options you have, the more clutter. Personally, I think just going with basic mask powers would work the best - maybe saying half potency or something at certain points. Or faulty - a mask of water breathing that doesn't initially let you breathe in anything deeper than a kiddy pool, but as you grow more adept, reaches full power levels.Now, anyways, I think I should answer your question. I think it looks balanced. Enough. Though like I said - too much room on the topic, or not enough options. One of those two will happen. I guess you could get more creative and have a chart or something made up on Excel, then save it as a picture and link it. But otherwise....-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:
The idea is to make it limited. Players are given six options for a starting power, and said power grows over time. They have no other power, and must survive with their mask alone. And no it isn't anywhere like all I have: Earlier I posted the plot and premise. Here I just thought to post the powers. Making them only at half power would kill the idea that I had; namely to have them based off the Kraata power system. That is, each level having a very specific power.

@ Zarayna;Yeah, I say your original post, and figured this was just an addendum. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.If these are all the powers, that's fine. I think it's too short, but I understand how hard it would be trying to balance out numerous combinations, especially in tune with elements (if you played the original Guild Wars, you would see how the PvP skills were updated every week or month when players discovered a new, unbeatable combo from the last updates made available due to having a secondary class with primary).Now then, if you like the system, you should keep it. It's your RPG (or, rather, you're the writer, and some other sod gets to be the artist, while the Black Prince is our lovely record company), so if you want to try this, it should be done. Just make it look nicer. I mean, compare the set up above to this.Obviously this lovely, member crafted work of art is better than what's expected just for six powers. But it would interesting to see somebody pulling off links in that way - giving an icon of all six masks in a line, with each one linking off to a different image showing that info as a list, with the basic gist given below. Or, best of all - since everybody starts at tier one. don't let them see anything but those powers. Just give them what they have, and add other stuff in as they play and earn it. Maybe work on some other masks to be given as rewards after players have reached the sixth level. Things like that.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

I made the Excel sheet, And I like that method...But, currently, along with Vision and Strength which have yet to be made, those would be the only Toa powers, mostly because making more masks would be too long. If I won though, I might introduce more masks. I'm going to be using that Kraata sheet for the Kraata powers, although I'll have to ad lib when it comes to Rahkshi powers.Well, it would be difficult to to the one tier at a time, well nigh impossible, since not everyone would advance at the same rate. However, I do intend to make special bonuses after you reach level six; either a second mask or something else.

With Rahkshi powers, I always just assumed you upped it one step and doubled its potency; except for step 6, which is instead tripled (the six on Mata-Nui, for instance). Unless you're giving them powers in addition to heightened Kraata powers or something. The Kraata powers, mind you, are not balanced, because the Brotherhood of Makuta doesn't care about fairness.That's not what I meant with the tiers - everybody starts off at '1', and whenever they gain the boost at the GMs discretion, they go up to '2', then '3', and so on to '6'. But until one person has found it, it's not added on. That means the main topic (or Profiles) grows larger, but it doesn't really matter. Then they update their character sheet and they have a new ability. I don't really see how peoples advancing at different rates would stop you from making it public whenever the fist person go the full power. Heck, if they care enough, they can just hop in over to this topic and see what they've got coming for them. It's not like the power level is offset - you've got all six on a linear, balanced progression. It's not like linear Kakamas, quadratic Mirus or anything.So yeah, that's all. I do want to ask, though, what your final decision on all of the included races will be, and what your stance on custom races are - perhaps the Great Beings adding a few surprises to the occasion. Or just driving a Toa mad and making him think he's a monkey.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

With Rahkshi powers, I always just assumed you upped it one step and doubled its potency; except for step 6, which is instead tripled (the six on Mata-Nui, for instance). Unless you're giving them powers in addition to heightened Kraata powers or something. The Kraata powers, mind you, are not balanced, because the Brotherhood of Makuta doesn't care about fairness.
Many of the powers of the Kraata can only be used for Kraata. As in, the lower levels often apply ONLY to slugs. This power is amplified by Rahkshi armor around said slug. I'm also planning on making six Rahkshi powers to start out with.
That's not what I meant with the tiers - everybody starts off at '1', and whenever they gain the boost at the GMs discretion, they go up to '2', then '3', and so on to '6'. But until one person has found it, it's not added on. That means the main topic (or Profiles) grows larger, but it doesn't really matter. Then they update their character sheet and they have a new ability. I don't really see how peoples advancing at different rates would stop you from making it public whenever the fist person go the full power. Heck, if they care enough, they can just hop in over to this topic and see what they've got coming for them. It's not like the power level is offset - you've got all six on a linear, balanced progression. It's not like linear Kakamas, quadratic Mirus or anything.
I misunderstood. I thought you meant individually. But nonetheless, with the icon idea, that doesn't matter overly. Besides, I'd like people to have an idea of what powers they'll get....
So yeah, that's all. I do want to ask, though, what your final decision on all of the included races will be, and what your stance on custom races are - perhaps the Great Beings adding a few surprises to the occasion. Or just driving a Toa mad and making him think he's a monkey.
Currently, Toa and Rahkshi. I plan to add Skakdi and Vortixx. Custom species will not be allowed, unless you can think of a logical reason (toa captured by the Makuta and experimented on, for instance). The norm will be no other species, but individual exceptions will be judged on a case by case basis.

I misunderstood. I thought you meant individually. But nonetheless, with the icon idea, that doesn't matter overly. Besides, I'd like people to have an idea of what powers they'll get....
Yeah. As long as it's the icons, all colorful and stuff, then it would be pretty cool.
Currently, Toa and Rahkshi. I plan to add Skakdi and Vortixx. Custom species will not be allowed, unless you can think of a logical reason (toa captured by the Makuta and experimented on, for instance).The norm will be no other species, but individual exceptions will be judged on a case by case basis.
Okay. Also, going back to the Kanohi - are the powers gained ones for that exact mask, or other masks of the same power. Or, rather, if you reach Tier 3 with one Hau, is that now a Tier 3 Hau, or are all Haus you use Tier 3, even one taken from a Tier 6 Hau user? Or is it the (somewhat canon) way in characters learning how to use their masks properly over time?-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Other than my distaste for levelling up systems like that, I have a couple of issues with the Kanohi thing. Firstly, how does it work? Kraata evolve up (actually, can kraata evolve up? Or are they stuck at the level they're created?) because they're living creatures, but masks are inanimate objects. How do they gain up? I mean, if I use a hammer enough it doesn't turn into a sledgehammer (yes, yes, I know, Bionicle physics =/= real world physics, but I think the point still stands)Secondly, a lot of the upgrades seem a little arbitrary. Especially with the Kakama. There's very few situations I can think of where there's any practical difference between running at 240 mph and running at 120 mph (unless you desperately need to outrun something going at 121 mph, obviously). Especially in a text-based medium where there's little way of actually demonstrating the particular speed. Just seem like it would fit more in with the fan-created games than the TBRPGs

Edited by Lord of Adders Black

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Kanohi, unlike rocks or helmets, has a power, most likely of the energetic (with the exception of pure mental power such as the Suletu) level. These prototype masks are designed so that their power evolves over time or use. When enough power in the mask builds up, its power increases in a tier system instead of a gradual system.The Kakama, I'll agree, was more prototype than anything. Most likely I'll change it to fraction of Kakama speeds.

Kanohi, unlike rocks or helmets, has a power, most likely of the energetic (with the exception of pure mental power such as the Suletu) level. These prototype masks are designed so that their power evolves over time or use. When enough power in the mask builds up, its power increases in a tier system instead of a gradual system.
So if you hide in a tree and sneak attack the fellow with the shiny Hau 6, you have yourself a Hau of Power Level 6 without doing any work, other than sitting patiently and waiting for the cool dude with a Hau 6 to come along? Or if one player happens to have five characters, they can gang up on anothers, put them in an unbeatable situation, and take the mask?I dunno. Seems sketchy. Experience is what I would think would count.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Well, I got the solution to both the problems. I had thought of it before, but didn't implement it.Inika Kanohi. It's living, and it can't be used by anyone but its original user.
I'm inclined to be against anything that stands between looting the other players dead bodies. And if they really don't want people to have their stuff, they can be like Paragon and disintegrate their characters, or have them eaten by a demon, or have rocks fall and all of them die, or any of the other ways. But yeah, overall. Looting dead people. And weapons weigh a lot.Go with it if you like, but it feels wrong. Just like animal rights groups only supporting cute ones, and ignoring ugly or unfriendly ones like our friends the vulture and shark.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Well, I got the solution to both the problems. I had thought of it before, but didn't implement it.Inika Kanohi. It's living, and it can't be used by anyone but its original user.
I'm inclined to be against anything that stands between looting the other players dead bodies. And if they really don't want people to have their stuff, they can be like Paragon and disintegrate their characters, or have them eaten by a demon, or have rocks fall and all of them die, or any of the other ways. But yeah, overall. Looting dead people. And weapons weigh a lot.Go with it if you like, but it feels wrong. Just like animal rights groups only supporting cute ones, and ignoring ugly or unfriendly ones like our friends the vulture and shark.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:
What about the clams, the stupid ones?On more serious note I agree with Lev, and feel like it should be the Toa's experience that determines the tier not the mask itself. Which could be justified by something like, them unlocking the metal discipline to use higher tier powers for their particular mask..

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Unfortunately, experience is a tricky thing to manage. I mean, how do the GMs decide when a character has unlocked the ability? I think the time method is about the only really workable solution.
I dunno? Maybe when they're in combat their shielding power suddenly boosts up because their mind is focused enough for it, and they start being able to do that. And then they keep working at it in the down time too.All people are different. All characters are different. Progression in anything is different between two of either - some characters who do a lot more will start gaining powers faster. If you do it based on time, all characters would have to gain powers at the same time based upon creation, and some would never have a chance to reach the highest tier even if they missed the first week or two.How the GM decides when it happens is up to the GM. Whenever it feels right is the best I can go with.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

All people are different. All characters are different. Progression in anything is different between two of either - some characters who do a lot more will start gaining powers faster. If you do it based on time, all characters would have to gain powers at the same time based upon creation, and some would never have a chance to reach the highest tier even if they missed the first week or two.
The powers gained will depend precisely on doing more. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but power increase would be determined by the number of substantial IC posts of each character.the problem with 'whenever it feels right' is that such a thing seems much too easy to abuse by non-honorable players.Lloyd: Okay, that made me laugh. So sadly true. :(

the problem with 'whenever it feels right' is that such a thing seems much too easy to abuse by non-honorable players.
That's why the GM decides it. ;)@ Lloyd; Look, the monsters never give good drops, and you never find good coin. The only way to get new magic items is by murdering other characters and looting their corpses. If you take the only worthwhile piece of loot (the mask) out of the equation... then all that's left is weapons.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

That's why the GM decides it. ;)
I have a feeling that's much easier said than done.
@ Lloyd; Look, the monsters never give good drops, and you never find good coin. The only way to get new magic items is by murdering other characters and looting their corpses. If you take the only worthwhile piece of loot (the mask) out of the equation... then all that's left is weapons.
First off, with the collapse of society, money isn't very useful. Second, I kinda don't want people being overly well off; the point of this RPG is survival with limited power.However,there would be ways to improve equipment, and maybe (rarely) power. Namely, I'm planning on implementing caches. Since people can only start out with relatively low tech weaponry (BZIII level or lower) and basic armor, which would amount to simple greaves, cuisses, cuirass, spaulders, vambraces, and gauntlets; standard metallic protodermis. Addition armor of higher quality (or even Protosteel) some more modern weaponry, maybe a slight power amplifier.EDIT:Also...

Some people would fight, others would cry. Some would fly, others would stand.

But, some are neither; there are those who simply sit, emotionless. Is it any surprise that we are all governed by them?

Testing Conflict

[Thanks again to Grochi for the name. Banner coming soon]

When the world collapses around you, when any year you know it will fall: when tribes with power immense beyond imagining are filled with hatred against one another, there are many reactions taken. Some will try to delay the inevitable. Others, to flee it.But those behind the scenes, the ones who actually have intellect, they plan. They flee and delay, but with a plan that long outlasts the present.And so, as countries move to tear each other apart, the race known only as the Great Beings tranquilly create. But perhaps tranquility is only the surface, a mood made to improve the harsh future they make, and the harsher future their creations must face.Toa are created as the workers. Beings to run, and beings to indwell within what is becoming fast the hope of the world; the plan beyond the present, and in ways the plan beyond the plan.But there is more, as these Beings know; all that they make is unstable, and therefore unstable must stabilize unstable. A balance to the seemingly perfect races they have is found in the element of threat, and so the races of Rahkshi are created.But all things for these Beings must be tested, and for them, war and desolation is the setting they prefer.

-x-x-x-

As hostility builds up between the tribes of Spherus Magna, the Great Beings are engaged in what they do best: creating. Following their failed creation of a massive robot over 40,000 years ago, they have been plotting an improved form of it, a plan that has been sped up and reshaped in view of the inevitable collapse of the planet. Unlike the first robot, this creation will be powered by forces generated by living beings, who will dwell within. However, like all their creations, they deem it wise to proceed first with experimenting. With the first thousands of models of the chief species to be used, they have decided to put a check-force into play: Rahkshi. On the surface harmless, armored rahi, they are intended to be a force at the ready for any time that the designated protectors are helpless. So, in light of this duty, the experiment is designed explicitly to see what success they can operate this, and to what success their new creations can resist.In a massive cavern, nations of Toa grow up. But swiftly, they fell into ruin. For Rahkshi swept in, destroying all in their path. The prototype toa were made without Kanohi, and their elements and physical abilities were halfed. Outmatched, the nations were swept away, their inhabitants scattered, and complete anarchy set in, with the only faction having a semblance of order being the Rahkshi.Hope seemed to vanish, until one came who only the Great Beings knew of. A mysterious shadowy figure who swept through the land, with Rahkshi and Toa alike fleeing before him, struck with an overriding fear. He built a small tower in the center of the lava region, and little heard from him. The Rahkshi continued to rampage, in groups ranging from loners to dozens. Then lights began to appear in the roof, sectoring it. Dim at first, they looked like nothing more than lightstones. Then two things happened; six of them, one in each region, lit up with the brilliance of a star, a glowing green, and mental knowledge poured into every being, Rahkshi and Toa alike. For the Rahkshi it was only a dim message; namely that the lightstones marked great power for the Toa. To the Toa, however, much more was given: it was revealed that each brightly glowing green light marked the location of a Kanohi mask of power, that would both double their elemental and physical strength, but give them a special power.And that is where the past becomes the present. The world is in turmoil, and Rahkshi and Toa alike are after the mysterious masks of power. Small bands are forming, and alliances are being made and broken. But everyone knows one thing; the people who attain the masks will attain an edge over even Rahkshi.

Gameplay

The inhabitants of this land are, unknowingly, the lab rats of the Great Beings, stuck in a land made specifically to test them in every way possible. Squads of Rahkshi prowl about, slaying any of the land’s inhabitants they can find. Seperated into duos, ragged bands, and at best a few dozen people, the Toa appear helpless before their more unified, vastly greater forces.However, a hope has recently surfaced with the news of Kanohi masks of power, seemingly the only thing that can help the Toa hold out and restore stability.

Locations

The world is set in one main cavern, built like six joined domes. Each dome has its own particular environment, and in the upheaval, different groups of people are heading to each region. Recently, lightstones have appeared in the ceiling, lighting particular treasures.

Ignosu

The top left corner lava region, it is cut off from the others by a thirty foot wide lava moat, impassible except for three arching stone bridges, two in the east, one in the south. Beyond it, the land is an almost inhospitable wasteland of mountains, constant rubble, spikes rocks at every glance, all interspersed with lava streams and rivers. In the center of the region, a mountain taller than the rest lies. Surprisingly, it is not a volcano, but instead is home to hundreds of caves of varying sizes, many of which have recently become inhabited. The region seems to be perpetually hot and dry, and fire toa and skakdi tend to gravitate towards it.

Virio

The bottom center region is, surprisingly, an underground jungle. The tree leaves and vines alike are a pale green, but aside from that it appears like any other forest. Massive trees rise far about the rest of the jungle in many places, and the inhabitants (mostly Le-Toa) have built platforms and defenses in them. Rahkshi here fly largely, and fighting in the platforms is almost constant. the toa here appear somewhat unified under the rule of the former head of state Toa Gethlu.

Agius

Fiuri

Clucho

Dohnay

Toa:Toa are biomechanical beings, about seven feet in height, clad in armor. They are infused with elemental energy, which manifests itself in some limited abilities which vary element to element. Each element has its own distinctive coloring. Toa wear kanohi masks, and their physical abilities are halfed without them. These kanohi have a single power, which increases over time.Elemental power:Before the concept of control over elements was finalized in the toa, they were given slightly heightened forms of what would one day be the inherent abilities of matoran.Fire:Resistance to heat; a 100 degree, humid day to them is as bad as a moderate, cool day is to other elements.Ice:Resistance to cold: they would treat a 10 degree day the same way other elements would treat a relatively cool day.Water:Inherent skill and ease in the water, good stamina, and the ability to hold their breath for several minutes.Stone:Strength between twice and thrice that of other elements, tougher and able to bear pain better than other elements (except iron).Earth:Perhaps the most adept, earth toa can sense vibrations in the earth, have greater arms strength that all other elements besides stone, are skilled diggers, and have excellent night vision.Air:Although they can be at least mentally clumsy underground, toa of air are much swifter and more agile than other elements, especially in the air or trees.Kanohi:Almost like Kraata, Kanohi have stages of growth almost, ranging from one to six. Unlike them, however, a Kanohi user whose Kanohi is level 3 can use level 1 or 2’s ability, although not at once.Available Kanohi:

:hau: :kakama: :kaukau: :miru:

Edited by Zarayna

Can't tell if sarcasm or missed point entirely.
Whichever makes me look smarter.
That's why the GM decides it. ;)
I have a feeling that's much easier said than done.
@ Lloyd; Look, the monsters never give good drops, and you never find good coin. The only way to get new magic items is by murdering other characters and looting their corpses. If you take the only worthwhile piece of loot (the mask) out of the equation... then all that's left is weapons.
First off, with the collapse of society, money isn't very useful. Second, I kinda don't want people being overly well off; the point of this RPG is survival with limited power.However,there would be ways to improve equipment, and maybe (rarely) power. Namely, I'm planning on implementing caches. Since people can only start out with relatively low tech weaponry (BZIII level or lower) and basic armor, which would amount to simple greaves, cuisses, cuirass, spaulders, vambraces, and gauntlets; standard metallic protodermis. Addition armor of higher quality (or even Protosteel) some more modern weaponry, maybe a slight power amplifier.
#1. Easier said than done? Sure. But it's still better than every player getting the boost just based on how long the character has been around. Also, an addendum: it would be even better to tell players when they could use the next tier, so they could implement finding it out themselves. Maybe just before they got killed they sped up just enough with the new tier of Kakama to get out of the way. Also, on the subject of the Kakama, you could go on the idea of reflexes and such and add abilities similar to the Dodge or Accuracy Kraata at higher levels, along with saying a bit more speed.#2. Okay... all of that was a joke, hearkening to tabletop games, including a campaign where the only loot players got until the end of the dungeon was selling their dead companions stuff or using it. So the whole money thing, a joke. As far as the gaining of powers - if a mask just starts at level 1, then it's not that strong. Also, if you don't use it, nothing would happen according to the by-experience idea. Much like multiclassing in tabletop games, you don't progress as fast in the new thing. Your character is at much lower progression in the second mask, and may never reach the maximum of the first, because of this! By the end of the RPG, a really active RPer might have maxed out two mask powers, or one and the beginnings of a few others.As far as equipment - caches? Look, Island of Pain had caches providing new, nicer equipment, and let you keep items. Also, why would they even wear that as armor? It's a Bionicle character. They're naturally armored in protodermis plates that can survive a blast of fire. Anything more that pauldrons and a breastplate, maybe a few other pieces, is just slowing you down. Unless, of course, you get your hands on some protosteel...Addendum During Writing: The by-post system is... well. Let me phrase it this way. How are you counting it? With that said, it doesn't really work. Some people will make a lot less posts than that on a character because, ooh... maybe they're in a conversation with another character, but because the player leaves, they're stuck there until they return in two weeks? Or people just can't post that often, despite doing a lot to contribute and having good writing. It's not the number of posts that counts, but the quality of what's in them, when it comes to the RPGs (my Morality Meter, coming soon!)~~~The RPG itself -Could we use a mask with a Kraata power instead of with the powers you provide? Perhaps capping it off at a certain tier, on a case-by-case basis (Sleep 6 is way OP, while Sleep 1 has nothing on the masks).Elementally thematic regions, okay. I bet the monsters in Fire Land are the highest level. It's probably the in-game content, too.Air seems to be getting the short end of the stick, here.Your Kanohi chart is off still.~~~Okay-dokay.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

Post levels wouldn't work, because what if a single conversation leads to lots and lots of posts for two characters? And they might be one-line posts, like how I usually do things.
Yeah, thats something I remember from an old Slizer RPG. Your level of power and skills was based on how many posts you'd made, so you'd get people running in and making every other post their own and advancing to general in, like, a page without gaining any actual experience

7AOYGDJ.jpg

As far as equipment - caches? Look, Island of Pain had caches providing new, nicer equipment, and let you keep items. Also, why would they even wear that as armor? It's a Bionicle character. They're naturally armored in protodermis plates that can survive a blast of fire. Anything more that pauldrons and a breastplate, maybe a few other pieces, is just slowing you down. Unless, of course, you get your hands on some protosteel...
That's literally exactly what toa have. They have a cuirass (back and front of the body) spaulders (upper arm to the point of the shoulder) vambraces (lower arm) cuisses (upper leg) and greaves (lower legs). They also have some form of sabatons. In short, they're well armored, although not quite in full plate armor. The difference between knights and toa mainly is that toa have this armor largely built into them, while knights put it on.If all you had were a breastplate and pauldrons you would be completely vulnerable in:The backAll your legsYour lower armsYour hands.And from personal experience, in a duel with melee weapons, your hands get hit a lot. If they don't have a bit of armor, then you're going to lose fingers fast. Lower legs are another point of concern, as are the lower arms.The basic armor they start with would probably be weaker than medieval plate armor, although not by much. Cache equipment could be, for instance, armor tough enough to withstand a mace or an arrow not fired at close range. Or it could be protosteel. Weaponry could be a machine gun, something vastly superior to a sword, or a longbow.
#1. Easier said than done? Sure. But it's still better than every player getting the boost just based on how long the character has been around. Also, an addendum: it would be even better to tell players when they could use the next tier, so they could implement finding it out themselves. Maybe just before they got killed they sped up just enough with the new tier of Kakama to get out of the way. Also, on the subject of the Kakama, you could go on the idea of reflexes and such and add abilities similar to the Dodge or Accuracy Kraata at higher levels, along with saying a bit more speed.
The simple fact is, that sounds very hard for Gms to regulate, Like, impossibly hard.The posts, as I may have said before, would have to be substantial; at least three lines.An alternative is to have advancement quest related: say caches contained power upgraders as the only way to gain levels.
Could we use a mask with a Kraata power instead of with the powers you provide? Perhaps capping it off at a certain tier, on a case-by-case basis (Sleep 6 is way OP, while Sleep 1 has nothing on the masks).
I think probably not. Besides, I'm only thinking of having six Rahkshi powers, so...
Your Kanohi chart is off still.
How so? Edited by Zarayna

That's literally exactly what toa have. They have a cuirass (back and front of the body) spaulders (upper arm to the point of the shoulder) vambraces (lower arm) cuisses (upper leg) and greaves (lower legs). They also have some form of sabatons. In short, they're well armored, although not quite in full plate armor. The difference between knights and toa mainly is that toa have this armor largely built into them, while knights put it on.
What I'm saying is that Toa are completely armored, or at least as armored as is logical based on their design. They don't need to wear any armor in addition, other than, perhaps, a breastplate and pauldrons (IoP Levacius used a breastplate over his armor and a pauldron on his right shoulder, since it wasn't too restricting, but protected both the largest area of his body a bit more, and his least defended shoulder, with his right weapon focused on attack). But as I said - it's not restricting. A Toa with his natural Toa armor is no more hampered than a human running around naked would be, since it's part of him.
The simple fact is, that sounds very hard for Gms to regulate, Like, impossibly hard.The posts, as I may have said before, would have to be substantial; at least three lines.An alternative is to have advancement quest related: say caches contained power upgraders as the only way to gain levels.
If you want something special, you need to be willing to put the effort into it after the initial writing. The idea of tiers of power is cool on paper (or MS Word, unless you're a Mac person, in which case, whatever it is Macs use; also, you're evil) and might be good if executed right. But the ideas I've seen of its execution don't sound like they'd be any fun, as the player. Just the setting (not really the MU) alone cuts off a lot of character ideas. Don't lop the other ones off, too.Now, the advancement thing - so now people are going to be looking for power ups at the caches? Ooh. And with the fact that you've pretty much said no GM regulation on how powers are advanced...... why not just give them dead peoples freakin masks as their power ups? You stay on the RPG long enough, you get epic loot.Post idea still doesn't work, methinks. Not as well as you're expecting it would.
I think probably not. Besides, I'm only thinking of having six Rahkshi powers, so...
The restriction marches on. If I wanted a long list of approved things being what regulated my characters, I'd make a BZPRPG character and go berserk on all of ya'll.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

A Toa with his natural Toa armor is no more hampered than a human running around naked would be, since it's part of him.
I disagree. Armor, by its very nature, is hampering, even if its part of you. Perhaps not mentally so, but the armor itself would either not protect perfectly (as you can see, the examples I gave of armor are less than plate armor. Most notably, little elbow or knee protection) or be slightly physically restricting.
Now, the advancement thing - so now people are going to be looking for power ups at the caches? Ooh. And with the fact that you've pretty much said no GM regulation on how powers are advanced...
I was suggesting an initial idea. Furthermore, I HAVE said how GMs would regulate it according to the previous idea (namely the post idea) and that would be that the players would have to keep track of their posts, and then contact the GMs when they think their character is upgradable.In conclusion, that idea I suggested would not work, only for one reason. Namely that it would be entirely unfitting to the nature of the game.
... why not just give them dead peoples freakin masks as their power ups? You stay on the RPG long enough, you get epic loot.
because getting another level one mask is not an upgrade much at all?
The restriction marches on. If I wanted a long list of approved things being what regulated my characters, I'd make a BZPRPG character and go berserk on all of ya'll.
Would you rather I give nothing? We have no chart whatsoever for Rahkshi powers. Working with the level system, it would be rather difficult for me, singlehandedly to create tiered levels for more than six Rahkshi powers.---Taking the criticism of the leveling system into account, I have another idea. Instead of six tiers for Kanohi, simply have three. Noble, Great, and Nuva. This would be much more easily manageable.And this point however, I'm actually getting completely fed up with my own idea. :lol: Edited by Zarayna

The restriction marches on. If I wanted a long list of approved things being what regulated my characters, I'd make a BZPRPG character and go berserk on all of ya'll.
. . .You say this as if limiting the power available to the players is a bad thing. And, by the way, custom powers are allowed, you just have to run it by one of the staff first.Personally, I like keeping the amount of magic superpowers consistent, keeps everyone from running around as character with anilities that are completely unique to themselves in games where that isn't normal.

I disagree. Armor, by its very nature, is hampering, even if its part of you. Perhaps not mentally so, but the armor itself would either not protect perfectly (as you can see, the examples I gave of armor are less than plate armor. Most notably, little elbow or knee protection) or be slightly physically restricting.
Somewhat, sure. But look at the Bionicle movies, books, and comics - look at what the characters do. And they're in basic Toa armor. Some of those feats characters would perform couldn't be done in armor even close to what you described, because a} they're physically superior and b} it's not restricting.
I was suggesting an initial idea. Furthermore, I HAVE said how GMs would regulate it according to the previous idea (namely the post idea) and that would be that the players would have to keep track of their posts, and then contact the GMs when they think their character is upgradable.In conclusion, that idea I suggested would not work, only for one reason. Namely that it would be entirely unfitting to the nature of the game.
The previous idea of doing it over time wouldn't be as hands-on. The one you just gave, a bit more, but... well, not. But yeah.
because getting another level one mask is not an upgrade much at all?
With six Tier 1 masks, I could hand the fanny to somebody with a Tier 6 Hau. The thing is, giving them the weaker masks means they have to be more creative with how they put them to use. Think of this. Players could use spare masks to trade others for something else they didn't have ("I'll give you this Hau and this Kaukau for that Miru!") and put them to use.You could also, since we're only using the six original masks, go back to the old days, where masks could be found by looking for them. Players seeking masks could find out where they were hidden away, maybe on the body of a dead adventurer, maybe sealed as treasure.
Would you rather I give nothing? We have no chart whatsoever for Rahkshi powers. Working with the level system, it would be rather difficult for me, singlehandedly to create tiered levels for more than six Rahkshi powers.
Well, if you gave no powers, it might be very interesting. I like either knowing I only have my mind, or that I have a good number of powers to pick from. But yeah, I get your point.
Taking the criticism of the leveling system into account, I have another idea. Instead of six tiers for Kanohi, simply have three. Noble, Great, and Nuva. This would be much more easily manageable.
That works. You might not want to keep the power boost thing as a 'thing', and just have the three types of masks. Or, maybe, Nobles could become Great over time, but a Nuva mask had to be earned and then sought after.
And this point however, I'm actually getting completely fed up with my own idea. :lol:
Don't let me stop you from going through with it. Just do what you think is right, man. Do what you think is right.
. . .You say this as if limiting the power available to the players is a bad thing. And, by the way, custom powers are allowed, you just have to run it by one of the staff first.Personally, I like keeping the amount of magic superpowers consistent, keeps everyone from running around as character with abilities that are completely unique to themselves in games where that isn't normal.
I like selecting things on a case-by-case basis that factors the amount of backstory and description given into the approval of a character. That's why Waves says only a few things that are outlawed, but for everything else, it's just going through the GM and if it's not OP to others, it passes. But that's just me.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

I like selecting things on a case-by-case basis that factors the amount of backstory and description given into the approval of a character. That's why Waves says only a few things that are outlawed, but for everything else, it's just going through the GM and if it's not OP to others, it passes. But that's just me.
It defends on thee game in question, really. Although it's funny complaining about the limits on custom stuff in the BZPRPG while supporting a system that's basically the same as the one used in the BZPRPG. ;)Huh, you know what would be interesting? A Bionicle Rpg were everyone doesn't have powers, unlike almost all of them. Bara Magna is sorely underutilized around here.

Well, if you gave no powers, it might be very interesting. I like either knowing I only have my mind, or that I have a good number of powers to pick from. But yeah, I get your point.You could also, since we're only using the six original masks, go back to the old days, where masks could be found by looking for them. Players seeking masks could find out where they were hidden away, maybe on the body of a dead adventurer, maybe sealed as treasure.
You have officially given me an excellent idea.So, would this sound feasible?These original Toa have no kanohi, but they do have a (greatly weakened) elemental power, as well as armor and basic weaponry. However, they're outmatched in the Rahkshi, who have their full strength, while the toa only have half strength. While the Rahkshi rampage the land unled, a mysterious figure is seen; known only as Makuta. Rahkshi instinctively flee from him, and he silently builds a tower in the heart of the lava region.Word spread quickly, although none know how--perhaps because of the powers of this strange being--that masks of power are hidden in the map. There would be clues, obviously, perhaps in the form of riddles.Basically Quests for the Masks on steroids. I'd probably throw in caches: better weapons and armor, maybe even powerless Kanohi (they restore the toa's strength but give him no power).I'm thinking of doing a triple twelve: Twelve Rahkshi powers, twelve Kanohi powers, and twelve elements. Edited by Zarayna