Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOC:oI'm screwed, considering I just ordered up a batch of three for each of my colonies...But if it comes to that, could you at least make sure that it's clear they're a formidable enemy? As in, not 'I shot a missile and it blew up the whole station!' sort of thing. More 'it can tussle with a large ship and maybe even win'.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Well, your order for three would go down to oneIC:The three new Changeling craft had been completed; absorbing roughly a third of the Navy's current resources, these three ships would be counted on to begin expanding the Syrrinx nation.Construction begun on a Colonizer and two Faeries.OOC: All Colonies have upgraded to Protectorates. I will not be online for 12 hours or more.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: That may, perhaps, be the best solution. That brings the cost of a single Carreg-dur to 2 IP, which is fine. It'll take a while longer to build up adequate defenses, but it makes more sense.Begin construction of 1 Carreg-dur over each of 3 worlds, to be completed at 12:40 PM EST, 11/10/11.IC: "If your territory borders this system, then we would like to meet, discuss, exchange information on one of your worlds. If your territory is too distant, we will take the other branch."

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Roughly three days since my construction began. Two Praesidio-class frigates complete.IC: The Ithaka Skydocks had been busy ever since they first recieved their commissions from the Imperium government. Their cargo shuttles had been towing parts from their fabrication plants on the surface to the Skydocks in orbit, where they would be assembled in free-fall into the frigates ordered by the Imperium military. Now, finally, the sister ships Spire of Fury and Shield of Baross, along with their captains and crews, had been christened and now departed from their docks, heading into deep space to rendezvous with their yet-unbuilt sisters when the time was ready.Behind them, more frigates were already being assembled in the Ithaka Skydocks.OOC: NFR-001 Spire of Fury and NFR-002 Shield of Baross to 1-18.:w:

OOC: Alright, my five I'akoi are now completed, and all of my Colonies are now Protectorates. Out of curiosity, when will the maps be updated?IC: Valaticus examined the five ships, his lips curled in a smile of pride. Beside him walked Tru'ska Rhova, head of the Ministry of Research and Practical Applications. "Now," Tru'ska continued, "the ships are completely constructed, and are being stocked with basic provisions as we speak. Primary and ancillary crews are standing by. Just give the order, and we can have these headed to the Colonies within the next few hours."Valaticus took a deep breath of satisfaction, taking in the pristine glory of the lethal spacecraft. Outfitted with enough firepower to turn their three moons into dust, they were undoubtedly weapons of destruction. But there was another aspect to them - they were cornucopias of beauty, sanctums of life, holding promise of a rich existence outside of Kalmara. Valaticus, with one last, lingering look of consideration, replied, "By all means, he'r Rhova, prepare them for launch. I believe our colonies have waited long enough." The spiny Sanshoran nodded in agreement, and furiously began typing on his portable tablet, issuing the various orders necessary to begin the launch procedures.Valaticus walked to the bay's exit, where he met Hru'shan Vartik, head of the Miltraneer party. "Glorious - magnificent!" Hru'shan stuttered, his eyes ablaze with bloodthirsty glee as he examined the domineering spacecraft. "Valaticus, when I said I wanted a military fleet, I had no idea that you would be this accommodating. These craft are wonderful!" "Hru'shan, my friend," Valaticus smiled, a look of menacing steeliness hidden behind his facade of fondness. "You should know that I always give to those to whom gifts... are due." Taking the hint, Hru'shan covertly handed Valaticus a veiled casket, the enormous weight of which belied its small size. "Have a good day," Valaticus grinned as he exited the docking bay.OOC: Alright, the five I'akoi have been deployed - two to 1-46, one to 1-47, one to 1-45 and one to 1-44.

calvin_and_hobbes_under_tree.jpg

OOCThe maps will be updated when I figure what the **** is going on; between highschool and other real life stuff, I'm completely lost as to who's joined and where. I probably need to extend the color key another seven slots... Basically, if EVERYONE could do me a favor and PM me when they get a new world, I'll update the map ASAP. Otherwise, I'll try to update the maps on Sunday/Monday after everyone gives their weekly status report.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: All colonies updated to Protectorates.Construction of Reef-Class Starbase completed.All colonies, using support from Treanu, begin construction on a Starbase of their own.IC: The colonies were advancing successfully, and had begun producing some goods of their own to cut down on their dependence on the supply.One Reef-Class Starbase was completed, and began orbiting Treanu. It would provide a measure of defense from attack, but the next order of business was to begin construction of a fleet when the colonies began serving themselves.Support from the homeworld has enabled construction to begin on four more starbases, one for each world.

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: Also, everyone, negative industry modifiers now apply; everyone who took the Colonizer route should have an Industry of +1 right now(+5 from homeworld, -4 from four protectorates)IC: 2-10A string of celestial coordinates were beamed at the ship, indicating the nearby Syrrinx world and a safe jump-distance."That leads to our nearest world. Do come and meet us."IC: 2-7The moon was once a barren world of rock. Vast cities now covered it, and the co-ordinates for a spaceport were beamed to the alien ship

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: I thought we got a week of no modifiers if we went that route?IC: It may have been a trap. This could have been a ruse to lure them close, then destroy them. As a precaution they beamed back the message and their last location to the homeworld. If this was a trap then the rest of the Alizarin race would know exactly what happened.Safety measures in place they warped towards the proposed world

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: The Spire of Fury and the Shield of Baross blinked into existence in orbit around the star that formed the center of the new system. The stars in this area had already been charted by the Mother of Invention and were known to be empty, unless some species had taken them in the intervening time. Thankfully, a quick passive scan of the system confirmed that no one had entered the system since the Mother of Invention's departure. The two frigates set about their mission: securing the system and claiming it for the Osalieli Imperium. In time, they would move on, once they had planted their flag on the planet below.:w:

OOC: A week of no negative modifiers is what's down in the first post, Xom.IC: "Coordinates received, navigation computer updated - we will follow."The engines on the scout started heating up, preparing for the jump into the nearest Syrrinx system, where, it was hoped, a diplomatic victory might be earned.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: I feel compelled to point out that it also takes a week for colonies to be upgraded to protectorates. I don't think it's fair for those of us who didn't go with that option to have to wait the full time to get one colonizer in the air while the four-colonizer players get four protectorates in a fraction of the time.IC: It didn't take long for the Imperium frigates to drop into orbit around the sole habitable planet in the system, their passive scanning systems watching for any incoming vessels.:w:

OOC: Actually, the first post lists Colonies as taking 3 days to become Protectorates. Read more carefully.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Really? I was sure it was 1 week-->1 week-->1 week-->2 weeks--3 weeks-->4 weeks or somesuch. I guess it changed since the last time I looked. *shrug* Nevermind then. (Any nook in a rulebook.)IC: Meanwhile, the Mother of Invention was exploring closer to the center of the local star cluster, where other hints of alien life had emerged.OOC: Civilian vessel Mother of Invention to 1-46.:w:

IC: Captain Tanakus was standing on the bridge of the I'ako, his eyes and ears alert to catch any irregularities. Out here, in the deep bowels of space, anything could go wrong. But what happened next was something that Tanakus hadn't expected - at least not yet. The Colony had only been established for a few days, and here was an alien race, already on its doorstep."Incoming spacecraft," the Captain read into his transmitter with clear diction, as if that would help a species that didn't know the Sanshoran dialect. "You are entering territory that is property of Valaticus Kh'ronos, Supreme Consul of the Sanshoran race. Please identify yourself and your intentions. Do not move to come any closer or we will be forced to open fire."OOC: In case you didn't realize, that's you, Lloyd.

Edited by TheMightyFighty

OOCYeah, before with it taking two weeks for the colonies to become self sustaining it was reasonable and balanced. Now? Anyone who took the colonizer route has a massive upperhand against anyone who chose the established colonial route.ATTENTIONSo, yeah, putting it out there again, this time is big red text; you want your worlds on the map asap? PM me, otherwise it's updated weekly when you post your status.

voidstars.png

OOC: Not really a massive upper-hand. Right after they get Outer Worlds, I'll get Core Worlds. From there they lose their time-advantage.I do think the time between Protectorates and Self-sustaining worlds is a little bit too short, though.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCPersonally I feel the process should speed up as the world gets advanced, not the other way around; but I don't run this RPG, I'm just the map maker. Ultimately it's Xom choice and he's decided what he will.I must say though, with this many players... war will happen, and soon. The Trilateral Alliance must form, and soon, if me, Ak, and Koth hope to survive.

voidstars.png

OOC: So...um...I know I'm supposed to be the sub-admin of this thing, but my computer kind of died, so for two weeks while I was waiting for a new logic board I couldn't access the RPG. Fortunately it didn't go up that early into my absence, so I've only missed a few days, but I remember how fast IL went, any chance I can get a quick refresher?

baltimore_ravens.png

OOCFrom what I can tell, nothing major; no skirmishes, mostly people just first contacting and building up their forces. War will be brewing soon though, have no doubt.

voidstars.png

OOC: Xom's made this version go a lot slower. First contact between a lot of races is just starting, and my worlds have literally no space-based defense whatsoever at the moment. It'll be another week before the first elements of said defense go up, and three days after that before they're operating at full capacity. After that, I will have to choose between adding mobile defense systems and adding another planet for more resources later.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCYeah, but something Xom also managed was having fourteen players plus join; the sectors are getting crowded and FAST. War is upon us, mark my words.Also, updated the maps with everyone who PM'd me.

voidstars.png

OOC: True enough, but it's going to be a very tough war if people haven't brushed up on their Sun Tzu. Mark my words, someone is going to launch an attack as soon as they have ships and someone close enough to attack.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCYeah, that's going be their demise; always reinforce yourself before launching any such attacks. Attacking someone unprovoked and undefended will just get your worlds annexed and occupied.

voidstars.png

OOC: Exactly. Obtain glory by any means sensible. Otherwise you'll end up with lizard-people holding your homeworld on a very tight leash indeed.Speaking of which, Xom: Can a planet be damaged by an invasion that fails to take the planet to the point that the planet drops a point on the industrial scale?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: The senator nodded to the Thernian explorer then bid him farewell. He pulled a datapad from a pocket within his tunic and began tapping out plans for the feast.OOC: Yay, giant shrimp time. :3Construction of Lutra (1-10) and 2 Eversmanii (1-8) complete.Construction begun on Lutra medium over 1-10. To be completed 11月6日.Construction begun on Lutris medium over 1-8. To be completed 11月6日.Also, how many light ships can be built over a planet at one time?

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOC" I'm having a little trouble understanding Industry points - are ships a constant drain on my Industry? For example, if I have a medium ship that costs 1 industry point, does that mean I'm -1 Industry point as long as that ship exists? Or is it only -1 while the ship is being built?

Ic (1-3): Having briefly explored many of the neighboring systems (and failing to find any signs of life) the Scout-ship Hamara returned back to 1-36 to report in and regroup.Ooc: I'm a tad stuck... First contact plox? I just realized how whiney that seemed. Apologizes. But any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Writer's block sucks this early in...

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

OOC: The ship costs that industry point as long as it is in service. If you take the ship out of service, the point opens up again, but if you use that point, you can't bring the ship you scuttled back in while the thing you built using the point is in service.Veeci, check the map. I'm sure you can get the people near you to interact with you.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Pretty much. Just announce whatever's going on, maybe show off any quirks your people might have.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Well, I pretty much ripped off a certain science fiction species because Xom encouraged doing so, and I was feeling lazy, so if you can figure out who they're supposed to be once individual members of the race are described, you should know their quirks.Does moving my starting colonizers count towards the whole "one thing at a time" thing, or can I move all of them at once?

baltimore_ravens.png

OOC: Everyone else who took that route has moved them all at once.And don't worry too much about ripping off a fictional species - I'm ripping off a language. I didn't feel like basing everything on Latin shark names this time around, and Welsh looked cool enough, so I ended up taking everything direct from Welsh.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: [Mother of Invention]The captain was taken by surprise as the apparently new colony in the system (on a planet ten light minutes away) registered on the sensors, and only a few minutes later they were apparently hailed via radio signals. Recalling the Chancellor's request to avoid first contact until such a time as the Chancellor himself was available to do so, and recalling that he wouldn't be available until the Infinitus was completed, the Captain did the only thing he could. As his pilot looked up at him, waiting for orders, he took a deep breath. His scientific instincts were yelling to decode the message and initiate contact with their own systems, but his loyalty to the Imperium overrode his mission as a scientist."Spool up the drive." He ordered. "As soon as we can, jump us back to Ithaka.""...Aye, sir." The helmsman responded. "T-minus forty minutes until jump drive is ready. Ten minutes until they realize we're maintaining comms silence.""Put us on a course out of the system, fifty degrees to port. We don't want to indicate which direction Ithaka is in, even if they can figure it out on their own. I want us as far away from them as we can get. Our contact won't do any good if we get shot down before we can report." The captain said."Aye, sir. Fifty degrees to port, one G accelration." The captain felt himself slowly pressed to the ground until he was at normal Baross gravity, an acceleration of 15.7 m/s2. The minutes dragged out, long and tense, but finally, the helmsman reported. "FTL drive ready. Beginning jump in three...two...one. Jump."There was a flash of nothing, and then they were in the Ithaka system, a burst of Cherenkov radiation heralding their arrival."Send a message to Ithaka port." The captain ordered. "We have more neighbors than we thought, and closer."OOC: Mother of Invention back to 1-27. I'll get back to you once I have a navy, Fighty. :) Incidentally, would you be interested in opening OOC negotiations now? I have some very entertaining and useful propositions. :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

OOC: Alright then, time to start things up.IC: The massive ships lumbered into position above the worlds, still warm from the travel faster than light to reach the systems earlier, as the crews began the colonization process.OOC: Saying this is lackluster is like saying The Room was alright, but hey, it gets the job done, and I've always sucked at entry posts. Not sure since I'm still unclear on the wording, but I think that should work with the warp rules since nobody else is in here. Colonizers to worlds 50-2, 38-2, and 37-2, and a second one to head through 38-2. is the hour to recharge ingame time or real-world time?Also, Lloyd, are you the species centered at world 26 or world 1 of map 1?

Edited by Necro
baltimore_ravens.png

Well, everyone, my acting debut was a success. I make a good Faerie.

OOC: I thought we got a week of no modifiers if we went that route?IC: It may have been a trap. This could have been a ruse to lure them close, then destroy them. As a precaution they beamed back the message and their last location to the homeworld. If this was a trap then the rest of the Alizarin race would know exactly what happened.Safety measures in place they warped towards the proposed world

OOC: I cut it down when I cut everything else.

OOC: Exactly. Obtain glory by any means sensible. Otherwise you'll end up with lizard-people holding your homeworld on a very tight leash indeed.Speaking of which, Xom: Can a planet be damaged by an invasion that fails to take the planet to the point that the planet drops a point on the industrial scale?

A failed invasion would do so if you specified that you were killing the population en masse, wrecking factories, or somesuch. But you wouldn't want to do that to a planet you might own soon.IC: 2-10Roughly two million miles from the planet Calinar, so named for the mythical haven of a band of immortal Syrrinx warriors*, the scoutship appeared; it was met in that location by the newly comissioned Changeling, Alashi. There they waited for the aliens to arrive.OOC: *This would to Syrrinx have the same effect as naming a planet Avalon would to humans.IC: 2-7While a good portion of the planetary defense force was on alert, the planet appeared entirely peaceful, as the Syrrinx craft rocketed in and descended.IC: 2-10Two Changelings had appeared in orbit over 2-10's fourth planet, the habitable world, and were taking detailed astronomical data on the solar system, as well as readings on the planet itself.

-Rover

Ic (1-3): Having briefly explored many of the neighboring systems (and failing to find any signs of life) the Scout-ship Hamara returned back to 1-36 to report in and regroup.Ooc: I'm a tad stuck... First contact plox? I just realized how whiney that seemed. Apologizes. But any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Writer's block sucks this early in...

OOCCome first my place; it's pretty close, and it works into the Trilateral Alliance thingymajig that's being planned.

voidstars.png