Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOCI want it to be known, I will not be using energy shields, even though I will be buying the tech so I can get other stuff from the same idea. I do agree with the general sentiment that shields are unneeded but I'm not going protest it to much as new tech is always nice, even if I don't fully agree with it.

Edited by Cartographer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: My vote is no on them. I mean, really. We would all have these if you had said we could. You can't just add them in. I would at least have had research into it, but you had banned it.If they're staying though, then I want them.IC: We are also interested in seeing the five designs before a decision is made on purchasing them.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOC: So now that the banned-tech list has been modified to no longer include energy shields, how long will it be before we end up with black-hole guns?I'm going to continue to play by the original banned-tech list.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCUh, ToA, this isn't exactly a democracy here.But really, while shields veer into the soft sci-fi aspects, if Xom took my ideas it isn't that bad. My ideas were glorified particle fields and a kinetic absorption shield. So basically finely tuned EM fields as well as some theoretical science. Nothing to get too worked up over, and all my ideas had blatant weaknesses to exploit.My vote, since everyone seems to be doing it, is null, because that's my feelings on the matter.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: TptI: You can have particle beam guns. The Syrrinx superweapon was basically one. And if I recall, didn't the Alizarin get details on the Syrrinx ships from Kaurava?ToA, they were on there, now they're not. This is part of the technology advancing.Basically, Starscape has been in Tech Level 1. In that level, we had roughly the technology available to humanity in Babylon 5 or the 2000s remake of Battlestar Galactica. Now we're moving a level up, to roughly the human tech in Halo. Grounded in science but a bit more fantasticFeel free to ignore shields; Armor is a perfectly valid option compared to the shields.IC:Each of the foreigners was either passed a dataslate which listed the basic details of the five shield types.OOC: Just posting the details rather than shoehorning them into an IC. Spoiler'd for hugeness

Absorption Field: A field of concentrated dark matter, held in place by science far beyond the common man. The energy of any particle or wave that encounters an absorption field is immediately added to the field of dark matter, whether it be kinetic, thermal, EM, or any other sort of energy. The Absorption field is two-way, so you can't see or fire out of the field. Holes can be opened selectively in the field, but they are of course a weakness in the defense as well. There is one exception: EM radiation with a precise wavelength of 264 nanometers(in the Ultraviolet range) can penetrate the Absorption field as if it didn't exist. The absorption field also glows constantly, as starlight is absorbed and the energy radiated.When the Absorption field takes in energy, that energy is not destroyed(the Law of Conservation of Energy would not allow it) instead, the energy is transferred to the shell of dark matter in the form of heat. The Absorption field heats up, beginning to glow a deep red, shifting orange, yellow, blue, and white, radiating light, heat, and x-rays. When any part of the field hits approximately 4,000 degrees Kelvin, the field collapses and the pent up energy is released in a magnificent burst of heat, much of it directed towards the ship which used the field and tending to damage that ship. The field does not conduct heat evenly; it has roughly the thermal conductivity of granite, and the areas of the field under constant fire generally glow hotter and collapse more quickly.Advantages: Good against kinetic weapons, tougher than most fields.Disadvantages: Weak vs. sustained energy weapon fire. Explodes when broken.2 SlotsMagnetic ShieldA huge, powerful magnetic field generated by the ship. This field deflects magnetically contained plasma, charged particles, and missiles easily. To help cope with lasers, the field is filled with iron fillings, to absorb incoming energy fire.1 SlotAdvantages: Good vs. Plasma, charged particles. Moderate vs. Lasers, missilesDisadvantages: Nearly useless vs. Kinetic weapons. Shows up like a flare on magnetic sensors.Plasma ShieldThe Magnetic Shield taken to its logical conclusion, a Plasma Shield is exactly what it says; a shell of superheated plasma surrounding the ship. Along with the benefits of the magnetic shield, the plasma shield is excellent against missiles. In addition, the bright glowing plasma clouds EM sensors, leaving magnetic and gravimetric sensors the only functional sensors(one can use a target-painting ship to transmit info by ansible…)2 SlotsAdvantages: Good vs. Plasma, charged particles, missiles.Disadvantages: Bad vs. kinetic weapons, lasers. Shows on EM and Magnetic sensors.Antiplasma Shield:The Magnetic shield taken to its illogical conclusion, the Antiplasma Shield is at once the most useful and the most dangerous of energy shields, along with being the most expensive. A field of Antiprotons is held in a shell around the ship identically to the Plasma Shield. However, the use of Antimatter presents two inherent problems. First of all is the severely limited amount of antimatter available; sustained machine gun or rocket launcher fire will wear away the antiprotons very quickly, and the shield cannot be replenished very quickly. The second problem is from antimatter’s obscenely explosive nature; if impacted by a large enough mass, such as a shot from a Large weapon or a fighter, enough antimatter will explode for the ship using the shield to take heavy damage. This field also includes all the benefits and downsides of the Plasma Field.3 SlotsAdvantages: Good vs. Kinetic, Particle, Plasma, and Missile weaponsDisadvantages: Uselss vs. lasers, glows on EM and Magnetic sensors.Jump FieldAn egg shaped field around the ship which forces incoming shells to jump into interstellar space. Because the Jump Field only needs to force small shells and such to jump, it is not limited by the 1 hour cooldown time. However, a jump field has several limitations. Being shot with enough mass, perhaps five or six Medium kinetic shells/missiles at once, or a single Large shell, can disable the field for an hour(out of game.) In addition, the field can be disabled by Jump Scramblers, and its functionality decays the closer it is to a large gravity field; two million kilometers is fine, at one mil. the field is roughly 7/8ths capacity, and in high orbit it decays to only cutting out a quarter of all munitions. The field also emits a great deal of radio-band radiation, glowing bright on any radar.3 SlotsAdvantages: Excellent vs. Kinetic weapons, missiles, particle gunsDisadvantages: Useless vs. Lasers. Glows on radar.

Gonna be out for a while. Lunch and Hanukkah with the family.

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: The only one I might consider using is the Mag-Shield, but they could all be cracked easily enough by weapons I have.Also, it should be noted that dark matter isn't magic. It's just matter that we haven't found yet.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC [Ath/Head Admiral]The pad was given to the xenoengineers, who promptly recorded it and sent it to the ship in orbit, where it's mainframe began processing the information and beaming it back to Citamgine. Upon receiving the preliminary response -extremely quick, as an energy shield raised every politician and military mind on the planet-, the response was sent, the Head Admiral turning back to the scientists."Name your price for all five." He said simply.

voidstars.png

TptI: You can have particle beam guns. The Syrrinx superweapon was basically one. And if I recall, didn't the Alizarin get details on the Syrrinx ships from Kaurava?

OOC: Wow, you really didn't read the ship profiles, did you? The Alizarin already have particle beam weaponry. Its their primary small weapon. They use an upgraded form as a medium weapon. Thats the point I was making, they're already familiar with the tech involved.Funnily enough the plasma shield is similar to a weapon design I've been working on, so I'll have to buy thatIC: "We will take specs for all five as well," said the Alizarin. In all likelihood they wouldn't end up using all of them, but having the technological details would come in handy if they needed to counter it

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: I was more looking for crazy overpowered things than I was checking what guns you had. I didn't give much thought to yours because I know you play fair, Power.IC:The scientist would have raised his eyebrows, if Syrrinx weren't hairless reptiles with no eyebrows."Well, an initial charge of sixteen hundred ounces of gold, plus a royalty payment of another eighty ounces for each ship you outfit with one of these." After being warned by Sienta about the conversion rates from gold to quartz, the scientist refrained from converting the price into alternate currency. It was possible that, similar to how the Syrrinx barely valued quartz, the aliens wouldn't see gold as useful beyond its engineering utilities. No matter. Gold was gold, and it was valuable once it reached Syrrinx hands

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC: The Alizarin filtration systems sometimes came up with flecks of gold when sifting through seawater. Scientists had already taken the next logical step and built great sieves that strained the gold out of their oceans. A few of those on all their systems should provide the payment.This was rapidly discussed through their photosensory communication, allowing the Alizarin delegation to make a quick decision."Done. We will gather the gold and deliver it to you upon receiving the shield specifications,"

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC [Ath/Head Admiral]A brief discussion between the engineers broke out, and it ended with the admiral sighing. "Royalties can be discussed at another time; we accept this offer. The gold will be transferred within the day; this whole audience serves as witness. As such, I'd like the schematics, specification, general research behind it, and all other required mechanics beamed to my ship so that it can reroute the transmission to Citamgine. Our scientists would like to start studying this immediately."

voidstars.png

IC: If the Tsui'nau had any, it's eyebrows would have raised.Royalty payments? That seems a bit much, considering your race is no longer an independent state.However, the purchase price is fair. Royalties can be worked out later. We'll take all five.Luckily, on Treanu, gold was not very valuable, and fairly common.

Edited by Toast of Awesomeness

Well, would you just look at that?

bread.gif

I'm a piece of toast.

OOCYeah, less of a bid and more of a sell-out actually. Everyone is probably going leave with this tech.Because I don't want to step on Lloyd's toes by role playing his peeps wrong, I'm just going say the Natsirt and Osalieli have agreed to share whatever technology comes out of this with each other, and by extension the Kalarii if they don't want to pay, via the TAP's technological trade agreement.

voidstars.png

IC:The Syrrinx addressed the Tsui'Nau. "The royalty payments are not being collected by the state, but by the sixteen scientists who have developed these technologies. We invented these ideas and we intend to get quite rich on them."To the Alizarin and the Natsirt, the Syrrinx said, "The details are being transmitted to your ships."OOC: For a relative frame on how much you're paying, a hundred ounces of gold will let a Syrrinx live lavishly for one lifetime, or buy an extra lifetime. Since each of these guys just got two hundred ounces, they'll be doing both.

-Rover

OOCWell, ceasing the payments would make you guys look like major ****s, which actually works out in my grand scheme to win the game so I suggest you try to. :P

voidstars.png

IC(Shield Science): A group of Diemawr engineers had arrived just slightly late at the warehouse, but were in time to hear the sales pitch and the subsequent bidding."While this technology is very interesting, the fact that most, if not all, of these shields are vulnerable to pre-existing weapons could be a major drawback for them, don't you think? Nonetheless, for research purposes, we will be interested in acquiring this technology - we may discuss payment options at a later time."Actually, the Diemawr really felt that payment shouldn't be necessary - not for them. Seeing as they could have simply prevented this presentation from taking place, and appropriated the technology for themselves, free of charge. Any payment the scientists received now was only coming to them because the Empire allowed it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: If it helps, the Diemawr could kill the scientists, appropriate the tech, and pay nobody anything, ever. In terms of shafting the people selling the shields, I'd say my race has the best opportunity to be evil.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

IC: After Tyrii looked over the details of the force fields she began to tap out a message on her datapad for the Natsirt Admiral, rather than speak her mind for the rest of those present to hear."The Kalarii Federation will aid in payment for these. We would like to study them as much as anyone else," the message read.

misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOC: The Syrrinx society is built on money. Dishonorably ceasing royalty payments might lock you out of pretty much any deals with the Syrrinx until you had a change in government, and could null lots of deals you currently have, such as the shares you purchased in those Syrrinx corporations.IC:The Syrrinx, on the other hand, felt that payment was necessary even for the Diemawr. The Republic government had been willing and eager to buy technologies and pay royalty payments, why should aliens be entitled not to? Sure, they'd bested the Republic, but that didn't mean they ought to simply take away the Syrrinx' business rights."Wonderful. I'll have the details sent to you as well."OOC: See, here the Syrrinx are being stupid. They trust that any business contract will be honorably held. Breaking contracts is pretty much alien to them.

-Rover

IC [Ath/Head Admiral]Considering that nearly all the gold had been used up in the era of when Natsirt still used electronic computers, the fact that the Kalarii and Osalieli both were willing to help pay put the admiral at ease slightly. It meant less museums had to be raided for the gold. The admiral nodded his response, handing the pad back with the simple message, "all members of the Alliance will benefit from this."

voidstars.png

IC(Shields!): Ordinarily, the Diemawr had a bit of a "company store" policy towards science - if they could use it, it was theirs, and the concept of royalty payments was completely foreign to them. Still, if this little cabal of scientists held firm on their payment plan, there wasn't much that could be done - despite their apparent greed, they were good at their jobs, so dragging them into the street and shooting them might be a bad idea."We will agree to the payment outlined here, with the stipulation that derivative technologies made by our own scientists are exempt from the royalty payments, but your corporation is free to attach a fee for the use of your technology in research and development. Agreed?"OOC: Eh, it sets a good precedent for later in the game. Once your government is wiped out, you still get to have some fun with the game.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCContinuing to pull random technologies? Psh. The Syrrinx have barely done anything besides make lotsa antimatter. This is a new development.Besides, this means I should be next in line for pulling an awesome tech out from behind the curtain. :P

voidstars.png

OOC: Aternatively, one of us in the Pact buys the shield tech, then just shares it with the rest. All three of us get it for onlyone payment.I'd be happy to let the Alizarin do that. It fits their way of acting, and they can probably shoulder the burden of gold much more easily. Unless one of you guys has a planet made of gold or something :PIC: "Diemawr, Treanuans, might we make a...uh, private suggestion?"OOC: Before I forget...IC: The Alizarin scout ship arrived on the fringes of Lopec space, the Diemawr a fraction of a second behind them. They waited to see if this new race would greet them

Edited by The Power that Is

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC:"Derivative technologies are, of course, out of the bounds of this agreement."

-Rover

OOCIt isn't the Leben Power, it's the... whatever Vigor's race is :PIC [3-13/Overseer]The Natsirt Overseer -a rank in the Natsirt military comparable to just before captain- sat on the Kalarii bridge, not aware of the vessels that had just warped in, though it was likely sensors would soon pick them up. Then again, as the Overseer was musing, this ship was quite alien; who knew how things worked.

voidstars.png

IC(Shields!): The Diemawr engineers indicated their agreeableness (OOC: Wow, that's a word!?) to the Alizarin suggestion, whatever it might happen to be.IC(Sectors!): The Diemawr ship was, rather obviously, not doing anything besides following the Alizarin, because if there was one race present likely to know what to do, it wasn't the Diemawr.IC(Guards, Guards!): The lunch break was going well.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Given the space there probably is between the Kalarii and Alizarin/Diemawr ships, I'll wait a couple minutes before I say they picked them up on sensors or whatnot. I dunno.IC: Gulo battlecruiser "Hikaru Genji" completed over Nakare. This was the largest Kalarii ship constructed to date, the new flagship of the Federation Navy.

Edited by Revolutionary Saint Kothra
misaka_76_banner_800.jpg

OOC: Gah, Lopec, not Leben. No-good five-letter-l-word aliensIC: With the three present members of the Pact of to one side, the Alizarin made their suggestion."Since the Syrrinx wish to charge for this technology, why should we pay them three times?" the scientists suggested, bodyguards hovering around close, "If one of us buys the shield specifications, they can share it with the others. We are already uneasy about allowing the Syrrinx to continue to buy weapons, we see no need to pay them triple for it."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC(Shields!): "This suggestion appears sound - we recommend the branch proffered by the Alizarin in this matter."

We will remember

We all shall follow doom