5 Star Rating System For Bbc?

Fsnorglepuff

I am not sure if it is at all possible to add a feature to the BBC forum, yet I thought I might suggest it if the possibility exists:What would you think of a rating system (1-5 stars) that accompanied the title of every topic on the BBC forum? That way, people can simply share their opinion even if they don't have anything to post. Furthermore, people browsing the forum can get a hint of what they're going to be looking at before choosing a topic (generally the rating would suggest something about if they would be able to offer advice, or if it is something they would really want to see).I suppose you could only vote after opening the topic (thus seeing the pictures) and the results could be seen both after the title in the topic lists and within the topic itself.So, what do you think?EDIT: I would like to note for any future responses that one should take into account his or her own hypothetical reactions to having a five-star rating system. That system being, not representing quality, but rather, the degree of how much the members like the MOC (from not much to a great deal, etc.) in order to express the views of the literal hundreds of people that view but do not post.EDIT: Here is a possible list of abilities that may be associated with such a function:

Perhaps this rating system could be optional for both parties: the viewers and the topic starter, the former of which could elect to block the ratings from being shown to them, the latter choosing to have a rating in the first place. Possibly if the rating bothers the topic starter, he or she may remove it or make it private to him or herself. Perhaps the results could be private to the topic starter to being with. And maybe these abilities could be available only with premier membership, thus adding incentive to those who want this capability, and helping out BZP financially in the process.

a_peace.png Edited by Fsnorglepuff

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

Definitely not. BZPower should NEVER join that myriad of websites where someone can wordlessly 'rate' something without the necessity of providing verbal backing to substantiate their rating.Perhaps if it were possible that the rating system would ONLY work if the person posts as well, but even then it seems a stupid idea in my opinion. The reason I post my MOCs on BZPower and not on another website is because BZP has always had standards regarding how one comments and critiques on them. Get rid of that and it's just another ridiculous Rate My ______ website were popularity trumps constructive criticism.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

It's possible.But I'd rather make all the MoCs topic have a "quiz" saying "Do you like this MoC?" going from 5 to 0

That sounds better.

If a topic has a low rating, people might get discouraged and not visit it at all. That way, there is no feedback for the builders to improve.While the idea is good, i don't think it would help that way.

Yeah, that could happen. However, if something has few stars, the people who want to critique it will do so anyway. Some people just don't post if there is too much or too little to say about the MOC. What the desired effect of this system would be is to get opinions from everyone who doesn't have anything to say, nothing to add, or doesn't have the time to comment. Sure, there isn't useful feedback to help improve the builder's skills. However, I see many topics with views in the hundreds, and posts in the mere dozens. So instead of having hundreds of viewers not contributing anything at all, the builder could then see what a much broader opinion of their MOC is. Personally, I would like an average score from a much more vast selection of members even at the expense of those short, rushed, or repetitive posts that occur when there is nothing much to say about the MOC. Only the people who want to give a review will, and those who have nothing but "Good job!" or "Pretty good." to say could much more easily give a rating and contribute the same idea.

Definitely not. BZPower should NEVER join that myriad of websites where someone can wordlessly 'rate' something without the necessity of providing verbal backing to substantiate their rating.Perhaps if it were possible that the rating system would ONLY work if the person posts as well, but even then it seems a stupid idea in my opinion. The reason I post my MOCs on BZPower and not on another website is because BZP has always had standards regarding how one comments and critiques on them. Get rid of that and it's just another ridiculous Rate My ______ website were popularity trumps constructive criticism.

As above, plenty of people don't give much constructive criticism anyway. Also, vastly more people view the MOC without posting than the few that do. The rating system's only purpose is to provide a means to express a general opinion. Those that want to critique, meaningfully, will still do so along with rating. Providing such a means ought not deter someone planning on saying something helpful. It might deter those who give a sentence or two that has no real constructive criticism anyway.

Since this is a discussion topic, and not a MOC topic, Off to GD you go!

Thank you! I thought since it pertained strictly to the BBC forum it should go here, but I had my doubts. a_peace.png Edited by Fsnorglepuff

15037057692_2fb1ce338a_t.jpg     15034366641_d827682ab5_m.jpg     15037424595_cf284dac70_t.jpg

Toa Gali Nuva

I can't imagine a feature like that being at all beneficial. For a start, I think rating or 'measuring' how good MOCs are is a daft thing to do. And ratings like that could be done like spam reviews - a person could rate the topic without having even looked at the MOC, and there would be no way of verifying whether they did or not.Plus, what use are a load of ratings like that to anybody? If I'm browsing the BBC forum, I don't want ratings telling me how good the MOCs are before I've seen them, I want to look at them myself and decide what I think. And if I'm a person who's just got a load of bad ratings on their MOC, what use are the ratings to me if nobody bothered to tell me what's wrong with it?

Have to agree with Brickeens. People should critique creations in a post and give more in depth opinions and advice rather than a simple 5 star rating. The spam rule tries to keep people from giving something just a rating without any advice.I also read in an article that the 5 star system frequently causes people to either give something the highest rating possible, or the lowest rating. This would really throw one's personal rating of the MOC way off.In addition, this system could emotionally hurt people. No one can tell the intonation of a simple number rating, and it seems quite blunt to just rate someone's MOC a 1/5 and then leave, without any explanation.

Edited by Paleo

That sounds more of the equivalent of number ratings that get a fair amount of dislike in BBC. Granted, it's usually "good job 5/5 kutgw" and it's promptly removed for spam, but number ratings do not tell someone what is wrong and needs to be fixed, or what is liked.Adding that would only serve to promote that spammish behavior, IMO.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I don't think that's a good idea. That way, if someone for example built a MOC with wonderful legs but an awful body and colour scheme, people would rate it, lets say, 2 stars and most likely not provide feedback. This way, not only would it be completely unconstructive, it would discourage the builder.

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

Systems like this, for really any of the creative forums, would be detrimental in my opinion. Having a system of number rating on topics would prompt feedback, yes, but it's absolutely useless feedback to the (in this case) builder, and that's not entirely fair to that individual -- someone who may have spent a large amount of time trying to build something new, fascinating and interesting to be told that "it sucks" or "it rocks" without even a hint as to why (Empty praise might bolster an ego, but won't help future projects unless it's explained why it's good). If something someone created doesn't appeal to someone's tastes, or someone dislikes it, it's generally a much more helpful idea to post concerns about it rather than be all "oh em gee, I think this is sooo ugly, only one star from me." I'd even say the same for praise -- if someone absolutely loves a MOC and wants to let the builder of it know, then that someone ought to figure out why they love it and give constructive praise, so the builder knows what he or she did right, and what he or she should think about changing, rather than saying "five stars." In my opinion, it's just that a lot of people are too lazy or too busy to post their thoughts in a constructive way (as it takes much longer to do, than just "I like it :D")The lack of proper feedback doesn't make someone want to continue, especially if that feedback has no reasons behind it. If everything you posted, for example, in a creative forum received one star each time -- maybe two or three on a good day -- would that prompt you to continue? You have no idea how to improve, you don't know what's working and what isn't, and when one continuously receives just negative feedback that can't even be addressed, it's setting oneself up for failure each and every time. The end result is, that individual might not want to continue, because the efforts are failing every time and that just kills confidence that is needed to make something and post it up on a public forum for criticism, or possibly praise. The majority of members aren't these top-class MOCists like Deevee (sorry I don't know the BBC's forums top MOCists anymore to give more examples), and if the majority is receiving the type of feedback as described above, I feel that they'd more likely drop from the forum and the activity would decrease. (They might take their MOCs elsewhere, there are other LEGO sites, in order to get better reviews from the community). Either way, the creative forums -- from my perspective -- exist to promote the creative arts among members, and to have a neat little space to put them so that these people can get proper, constructive feedback on how to improve their art. If we remove the constructive feedback (which, in some of the art forums, is already very low to begin with), or at least throw in the lazy-button, then what would be the point of posting the MOC's? It'd become even harder to improve, because even less people would be posting reviews, and that's just not fair to the member who went through the trouble to make something and put it online.

It's a concept that will save up quite sometime and instantly remove spam. However, removing spam posts is the only purpose I can find that feature to be user of - I understand the need of having to quick reply to everything, but I'm interested into seeing what people actually have to verbally say about my creations, art, creative writing, etc, and not have my MOC rated five stars. I usually don't even care for the score; discussion should always be encouraged. People are not rating machines that collect facts and come out with an outcome; people are living creatures that think. That's what I want to see in my MOC topic.Discussion has been mindlessly put aside, as people always seek to reply more quickly to everything. A rating system would discourage discussion even more. On the other hand, it would minimize spam posts - but is there more to loose than gain?

Edited by Riglax

The general opinion that I am seeing is that a star rating system would discourage discussion. Why would it? Riglax makes an excellent point - it would remove the spam posts that provide nothing to discussion. And all the viewers who don't post anyways can give a general opinion.A general opinion is typically included in a decent reply anyway, such as: "Overall, it's very good." But people who don't post because they have nothing else to say could use such a system to convey that.

I can't imagine a feature like that being at all beneficial. For a start, I think rating or 'measuring' how good MOCs are is a daft thing to do. And ratings like that could be done like spam reviews - a person could rate the topic without having even looked at the MOC, and there would be no way of verifying whether they did or not.Plus, what use are a load of ratings like that to anybody? If I'm browsing the BBC forum, I don't want ratings telling me how good the MOCs are before I've seen them, I want to look at them myself and decide what I think. And if I'm a person who's just got a load of bad ratings on their MOC, what use are the ratings to me if nobody bothered to tell me what's wrong with it?

Brickeens, this system would not say how "good" a MOC is, it would tell how much people like it (on a scale from 1 to 5, most probably). Also, as I stated, the voting could only occur once the topic was opened - thus there is as much verification for a rating as there is for a post in regards to seeing the MOC. Also, people who intend on giving meaningful responses won't be deterred from doing so just because they also can give a rating. Would you? I wouldn't. The benefit of the rating system is that it would encourage people to look at topics that have good ratings, and those with poor ratings will draw people who like to help out with suggestions and so forth. I highly doubt that people who would give a response that has something to offer would just click a star and be done with it, in fact, I think that those people would be ENCOURAGED to help out the more poorly-rated MOCs because they intend on giving advice. Allow me to give a real, and recent, example: "Downtime MOC #4: Toa Jala" by TuragaNuva. As of today, it received but two short replies (one being my own) in its eight days of existence. Views? One hundred and ninety one! Now then, it is a fairly good MOC, while it has its problems. I would rate it a 3 out of 5. Think about this though: 189 other people viewed this MOC without commenting. There are numerous reasons why not to comment: time constraints, too good (not enough to say), too bad (overwhelming amount to say), a lack of interest in the MOC, or a lack of ideas to offer. But any viewer will know if they like it or not, even if they have nothing useful to say.So would any MOCist want over a hundred people's opinions whether they like it much or not so much? I would. I also want new ideas, helpful insights, and so on. But look at TuragaNuva's topic - only two people actually cared enough, or had enough to say, in order to post. I would like to have even a glimmer of an opinion from the hundred other people who saw it, instead of nothing.That is what a rating system would provide - not a deterrant for those who have advice to give, but a means to convey a very general opinion for those who otherwise would not.a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

I do not favor this proposition, myself. Mostly because of the reasons others have said, but I'll outline them again in my post. First, there's simply the issue of it not being credible. A few people [or even only one member] may see an MOC, dislike it, and rate it poorly. Then, that topic is stuck with a poor rating, greatly lessening the chance of having other people click on it. Who knows, maybe the next person would have loved it and given it a high rating, but said member never clicked on it due to its already low rating. Then there's the rating itself. I, for the most part, am against number ratings in general for reviews. Now don't get me wrong -- I don't think they should never be used, but it is simply the fact that they are rarely used in a helpful way that I dislike them so. Posts that say "I love it! 5/5" aren't very helpful, and that is exactly what this rating system would be. Sure, it might give topics more "feedback," but I ask you this: is it really feedback? Not really, in my opinion. Yes, those types of posts make you feel good, but they don't help you, and they don't give you anything. When you spend time on something, you want someone else to spend time appreciating it and showing you how much they appreciate it. Whether it's MOCing, writing, drawing, or whatever, you want to be appreciated, and not just simply in quantity, but quality. I know I would much rather have five well-written, in-depth posts explaining why they liked a story of mine than 50 "I loved it!" replies. But that's another thing -- very rarely is a piece of artwork perfect. Sure, it can be very close, but almost always there can be something to improve, no matter how small. Using this rating system could be misleading. You may rate something 5/5 because you really like it, but in reality, if you posted instead, you would have the chance to point out something that could be fixed. And those are the best replies -- posts that give praise, but also give constructive criticism. They let you know that your artwork is loved, so much so that the admirer wished to take the time to think of something -- anything -- that could be changed, to make it even better than they think it is. Furthermore, these ratings could discourage MOCists [or writers, artists, etc. if this applied to all creative forms]. If a MOCist sees his topic is a 2/5 whereas other topics have 3/5 or above, he may never want to MOC again. Well, you could say "so what? He sucked anyway" but I do not approve of such statements. The purpose of the creative forums here are to firstly showcase one's creations, but they are also to improve and receive feedback. That is what keeps some people creating what they create -- they receive feedback, work to remedy the criticism they received, and then post changes to their creation, or create a new creation with those tips in mind. This allows people to get better at what they. People need a reason to not just give up, and to just see that their creation apparently sucked by the low ratings, without any reason or helpful hints, then that gives them no reason to keep trying. Which leads me back to number ratings in general: you could give a lot of helpful criticism, but giving a low rating at the end could discourage the creationist's spirits, therefore nullifying your helpfulness and rendering your post possibly useless. The last point I want to make is one that Brickeens made -- this would make it easier for someone to have a biased opinion before they even see the MOC, simply based on the ratings other people have given it. If everyone hates something, often times people won't want to say that they love it, and vice versa. Now, sure, posts do this too, but at least they [should, at least] give reasonings to their disliking, which can be helpful for the reviewer to see why other people don't like it and then see if they agree from there, rather than simply implanting that "1/5" into their mind without any rhyme or reason. Anyway, in short: I think a rating system would be a bad idea, as the creative forums should be about showcasing artwork and receiving constructive critique in return, rather than a simple rating which may discourage the creator or falsely leading him or her to believe that there is nothing wrong with the creation, making them think they have no need to try to improve. Little tip: Everyone can improve; no one is perfect. Edit @ the views thing ~ It is unfortunate how few replies topics get, even with views, but unfortunately that is not going to change. Now, yes, with this system many of those viewers may take two seconds to rate the MOC, but I still do not think that would be all that beneficial, as explained above. newso1.png

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I think most of you are making some rather unfortunate assumptions about how people would react to seeing a rating. Most prominently, it has been said that people would be discouraged from posting or even going to the topic altogether.But what would YOU do? Brickeens, Velox, Riglax, etc.: would you allow yourselves to become biased towards the MOC? Would you choose not to go to the topic because of a rating? Would you be saddened by a low rating? Would you seriously go to the BBC forum to post and than decide not to because you can just give a star rating?I would not imagine so. I certainly would not. I would get the same motivation to become better at MOCing with a five-star rating as a "well done" or "it's OK". I would actually choose the poorly rated topics in order to give help to where it's needed. I would not go to a topic intending to post and then decide, even though I have advice to offer, to then add to a general opinion of how much I like the MOC.I know I am making assumptions too about how people will react, and that is based on my hypothetical reactions. I just don't think you all are basing your assumptions on how you would react. Additionally, how would this rating system be any worse than the profile rating system? It has no value, but this one has the potential to be beneficial.Of course there is the possibility that people wouldn't like it, that it would have the negative effects you all presume it would. Could it be put to a vote? Is it even a realistic feature to be added (difficult)? a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

But what would YOU do? Brickeens, Velox, Riglax, etc.: would you allow yourselves to become biased towards the MOC? Would you choose not to go to the topic because of a rating? Would you be saddened by a low rating? Would you seriously go to the BBC forum to post and than decide not to because you can just give a star rating?I would not imagine so. I certainly would not. I would get the same motivation to become better at MOCing with a five-star rating as a "well done" or "it's OK". I would actually choose the poorly rated topics in order to give help to where it's needed. I would not go to a topic intending to post and then decide, even though I have advice to offer, to then add to a general opinion of how much I like the MOC.

And I commend you for that, but that does not seem to be the case with most people [based on the actions I see and my own actions in the past]. As for your questions, "no" would be the answer to most, but yes I would be saddened by a low rating, and it would be hard to not be biased. But what about two years ago? My answers would be almost all "yes" without a doubt. I would be biased [and to be honest, it's hard to not be now -- sure, I make the effort not to, but "peer pressure" has a way of getting into your mind], I wouldn't bother looking at topics I didn't think were worth my time [as back then viewing was for enjoyment], and I would be saddened and discouraged by low ratings. Words are very powerful, and can easily be taken as overly harsh [especially on the internet] so that it is easy to overreact and become discouraged. And as for the posting thing, maybe not, but that would be because back then I mostly posted for the benefit of posting, not to help people out.

I know I am making assumptions too about how people will react, and that is based on my hypothetical reactions. I just don't think you all are basing your assumptions on how you would react. Additionally, how would this rating system be any worse than the profile rating system? It has no value, but this one has the potential to be beneficial.

I also do not like the profile rating system -- again, it gives false assumptions, and easily forms a biased opinion. It's hard to see a low rating on something and just not have the thought that it is bad. Yes, now I choose to push away those thoughts and think for myself, but that does not mean that it's not hard to or that I wouldn't in the past. It's the same thing with proto -- it's hard to think well of someone with empty proto, or poorly of someone with full proto. Only in this case the raising or lowering is deserved, and not just based on opinion. Again, that doesn't mean that I don't try to ignore it and think for myself, but it does just show my point that it's hard to not be biased by a rating.

Of course there is the possibility that people wouldn't like it, that it would have the negative effects you all presume it would. Could it be put to a vote? Is it even a realistic feature to be added (difficult)?

I don't know how hard it would be to add it [i would guess it'd be pretty hard], but I do know that even if it was something that people voted to have implemented and it was easy to implement, there are much more important things on the staff side of things to be done first. I'm not saying it won't ever be implemented, but I do doubt it, and I personally don't think it's worth the trouble.newso1.png Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

But what would YOU do? Brickeens, Velox, Riglax, etc.: would you allow yourselves to become biased towards the MOC? Would you choose not to go to the topic because of a rating? Would you be saddened by a low rating? Would you seriously go to the BBC forum to post and than decide not to because you can just give a star rating?

1) Would I become biased? Very technically speaking, yes I would. However, I'm usually the type of person who (whenever I venture into the creative forums) tries to find something masses of people aren't commenting on, in order to provide my own opinion so that person might be able to improve somehow. But do I hold the mentality of the majority of members? Clearly not, as not every topic in the creative forums has a substantial amount of replies, nor a substantial amount of proper reviews that really get into why something is good and where it needs improvement (or, why it's bad and where it needs improvement). On a lot of my stories, for example, I used to get some small posts -- the whole "I like it!" or "It's very good!" or "It's alright" comments that never help me, as a writer, become any better. Only in some rare cases would I receive a substantial review, one that might hurt my ego a bit, but would allow me to become a better writer in the process, rather than slowly becoming absorbed with the one-lined praise and becoming deceived into thinking "I'm awesome." And just as easily can such statements tear down someone's confidence, and make them feel like "I suck, so why even bother anymore?" A rating system would perpetuate these types of attitudes, and to be frank, they are not healthy to an artist.2) Would I be saddened by a low rating? Of course I would, I'd feel as if I did a poor job, wasted my time on something that may have taken hours a day over the course of a week to write. If I have no criticism, how can I get better? I can't, simply put, unless I enlist friends to read it and give me honest reviews. It whittles away someone's determination when they see that the community doesn't like what they're putting out, but also isn't telling them how to make it something that the community may enjoy. And without determination, how can any artist continue? Determination is the antidote to the feeling of giving up, and without it, people give up. In short, the "failing" results would weaken someone's determination to the point where they would give up, especially when there's no way to get out of this rut because there's no proper feedback, and then that artist would give up. Plus, if you go in thinking you are bad at something, that you have poor skills and will fail, you will most likely fail. However, if you go into something determined, feeling like you can do it and succeed, you will most likely succeed.3) Not everyone goes to the BBC forum to post. Some people just want to see cool things, these are usually the people who don't give very substantial reviews and leave the "5/5 KUTGW" which is completely useless to the topic starter. Best to eliminate an alternative to this useless feedback, rather than promote such behavior.

I would not imagine so. I certainly would not. I would get the same motivation to become better at MOCing with a five-star rating as a "well done" or "it's OK". I would actually choose the poorly rated topics in order to give help to where it's needed. I would not go to a topic intending to post and then decide, even though I have advice to offer, to then add to a general opinion of how much I like the MOC.

You are not most BZPers, as if you were, then reviews would be far more plentiful and far more well done and far more thought would be put into them. If most BZPers thought as you did, then the creative forums would be fine -- there would be no topics with 0 replies, no topics left to rot after 1 "KUTGW" post, no topics chosen over the topics done by those brilliant at their craft. As it is, this is not the case, because most people want to see something cool, read a good story and will go to those who are proven to have the best results (Deevee, Lady Kopaka, Nikira, Turakii, ToM: Dracone, etc, etc...) instead of AverageJoe65.

I know I am making assumptions too about how people will react, and that is based on my hypothetical reactions. I just don't think you all are basing your assumptions on how you would react. Additionally, how would this rating system be any worse than the profile rating system? It has no value, but this one has the potential to be beneficial.

Profiles don't exist to be reviewed -- it's not something many people put effort into, nor is it really a form of art people spend hours, days, possibly weeks or months trying to perfect. It's not something meant to be shared for enjoyment, entertainment, or to help serve a purpose for the community -- it's just a file of information on a member. And stars here are more based on behavior on the forums, and it'd be considered trolling to PM someone "Hey, I think you have bad behavior and need to fix it" and either way, that's really a moderator's job if it becomes a problem.This would be far more detrimental. Instead of discouraging spam, it encourages it. Spam is "Stupid, Pointless, Annoying Messages" and that's what, in my perspective, star ratings would be on art that deserves a little more appreciation than that.

Of course there is the possibility that people wouldn't like it, that it would have the negative effects you all presume it would. Could it be put to a vote? Is it even a realistic feature to be added (difficult)?

I don't think it should be left to a vote, it'd only help members who don't care to give thoughtful opinions. Those who want to give thoughtful opinions can, and by the rules, those who don't have to if they wish to post in the topic. Otherwise, if someone really wants to be all "THIS IS AWESOME 5/5!!!" PM's can be used for that type of thing. Assuming, of course, the topic starter would be open to it. Edited by Spink

Spink makes a good point. This number rating system would be spam, with just an official way to post it.This system would also be subject to the Bandwagon Fallacy. If someone notices that others have rated a MOC highly, they are more likely to do so. It's also the case with a bad rating.

But what would YOU do? Brickeens, Velox, Riglax, etc.: would you allow yourselves to become biased towards the MOC? Would you choose not to go to the topic because of a rating? Would you be saddened by a low rating? Would you seriously go to the BBC forum to post and than decide not to because you can just give a star rating?

1. Honestly, yes. I am one of those members that will surf the BBC and look at the MOCs (I don't post spam though). I also like to look at good MOCs, and this would definitely cause a bias. After I surf I normally post constructively on a few topics.2. Yes, I would be terribly saddened by a bad rating. It would turn away those who simply surf the forums, as well as give me no indication of what's bad and how I could improve.3. No, however, I'm not the majority of members. A large portion would post a pointless number rating and leave.

Spink, Paleo, and Velox - You do bring up some good points. The rating system could discourage people. It could bias people. My optimism inclines me to think that a poor rating would motivate a MOCist to do better and motivate the more experienced MOCists to give advice. I would hope that this rating system would give people who just want to look at "good" MOCs (assuming the highly liked indication from the rating is a reflection of quality) a means to do so.Think about it - would people only wanting to see the better MOCs even post when they see a lesser one? Honestly, if a mediocre MOC has several posts already, and I have little to offer, I move on. If I see one with none or a couple then I post, and if I see a really good MOC that I can actually comment on (meaningfully) then I will do so. However, I see several incredible MOCs, such as so many from Brickeens, that leave me with just an impression of "Wow! Well done!" and so I don't post because that does not add anything.I don't think that the ratings would be spam. Conveying one's level of fondness on a scale from mild dislike to great commendation isn't stupid. It is no more pointless than an actual post conveying the same idea. And I cannot see how it could be considered annoying.But honestly, I know I am assuming the best, and you all are citing the more pessimistic of probabilities. Discouragement of MOCists, bias, promoting of spam and inhibiting posting. These are all pragmatic and reasonable outcomes, but I think I know how to avoid them.Perhaps this rating system could be optional for both parties: the viewers and the topic starter, the former of which could elect to block the ratings from being shown to them, the latter choosing to have a rating in the first place. Possibly if the rating bothers the topic starter, he or she may remove it or make it private to him or herself. Perhaps the results could be private to the topic starter to being with. And maybe these abilities could be available only with premier membership, thus adding incentive to those who want this capability, and helping out BZP financially in the process.So, with such flexibility, people would be able to use the system or not. It could help those who choose to benefit from it, and those who are dissatisfied don't have to deal with it. How about this then?a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Look at it this way. Suppose you come across a titan MOC. It looks cool, it's color scheme is flawless, and the photography is professional. However, upon closer examination, you realize that there is not a bit of custom in the whole creation.Mindless rating: 5/5.Detailed reveiw summary: Nice colors, but please add more custom. I give this MOC a thumbs down for no custom.You can see the contrast.

aouROFb.png

Look at it this way. Suppose you come across a titan MOC. It looks cool, it's color scheme is flawless, and the photography is professional. However, upon closer examination, you realize that there is not a bit of custom in the whole creation.Mindless rating: 5/5.Detailed reveiw summary: Nice colors, but please add more custom. I give this MOC a thumbs down for no custom.You can see the contrast.

Sure, but would you actually do that? You're making assumptions about what others would do in such a situation, yet I doubt you or I would rate a no-custom MOC 5/5. Your detailed review summery is essentially what I would give, because a rating system doesn't convey the necessary information about why it would receive a poor rating. The existence of a rating system only would get a general opinion from the people who don't care to leave a comment. It's up to the regular reviewers to explain the rating, maybe contradict it, etc. I think that people would post just as much as they ever did, but the rating would be additional. It would not, by any leap in my imagination, deter the people who want to give advice from advising. Also, if you read my latest post, it could be optional. a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

Sure, but would you actually do that? You're making assumptions about what others would do in such a situation, yet I doubt you or I would rate a no-custom MOC 5/5. Your detailed review summery is essentially what I would give, because a rating system doesn't convey the necessary information about why it would receive a poor rating. The existence of a rating system only would get a general opinion from the people who don't care to leave a comment. It's up to the regular reviewers to explain the rating, maybe contradict it, etc. I think that people would post just as much as they ever did, but the rating would be additional. It would not, by any leap in my imagination, deter the people who want to give advice from advising. Also, if you read my latest post, it could be optional. a_peace.png
But, if you rate it at first glance, without describing your likes and dislikes, would you notice the lack of custom?

aouROFb.png

I think it wouldn't be beneficiary to the MOCer. If you give a score, it must be able to be backed up.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

But, if you rate it at first glance, without describing your likes and dislikes, would you notice the lack of custom?

Sure, people would look closer if they give a post, having to refer back to the MOC several times. However, I think that viewers might give more than a passing glance to a great looking MOC, and will notice the lack of custom. Personally, the level of custom actually determines a great deal of how good the MOC is, and especially how much I like it (which is why all my own MOCs are 100% custom). I think it would be recognized within a few seconds of viewing. But of course maybe people don't care about no custom designs. It could just be an Inika build with an interesting color scheme, and the viewer will like it so much he or she would give it five stars. I feel as though if people have something important to say, they will post. If they don't, it would be nice to get at least an opinion of it. people ask each other every day on their general opinion of their clothes, hair, artwork, penmanship, and a miscellany of other things without requiring details or explanation, and it helps. Especially when a MOC gets a few posts (good as they may be) and a hundred views - maybe having that general opinion of like or dislike will give broader feedback, even if it offers no detail.Also, imagine if a MOC gets 25 posts - what could subsequent posts tell the MOCist? Everything would have been stated, so agreeing with others and giving an opinion is what most do, if they post at all. So a rating system would fulfill that purpose.a_peace.png

Toa Gali Nuva

^Except pretty much every MOC that isn't made by a big name is lucky to get more than ten posts.Out of four MOC posts I've gotten a totaly of three comments, one in one topic, two in another. I've seen more 0 comment topics in the System MOCs forums than anywhere else.Really, the rating system would aggrivate me as a MOCist, and I imagine others would agree. I don't give two bits about ratings. The real joy I get from sharing my MOCs on forums is the conversation that springs from them. Being able to discuss 'short-comings' and why I chose to use them, how they can be improved.I think that - instead of implementing something like a rating system, the MOC sub-forums should just follow the exampe of the Library, and have Critics Clubs.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching