Gali's Voice Actor

Fry

I was starting to wonder why they all had the same voice, but If gali does too, then it's just the Narrator in character, like how the Narrator of Thomas the Tank Engine does all the voices.

A good example. Though to be fair the narrator in Thomas is made obvious from the beginning of the episode... the narration in these character animations doesn't do that. By talking in first person it makes it sound like they are supposed to be the actual voices of these characters, which is confusing (not so much in the actual online animations though). 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

"Yeah, seriously, is Pohatu a pirate now or something?"

^This was before I rewatched it and realized he had an Australian accent... v-v

I'm an Aussie.

Imo, Pohatu sounds like something that comes from a Kane-ra's treads.

The effort given in the actors 'Gali' voice is appreciated at least : /

• Upvote 1

Regardless, as for the animations themselves, I wasn't off put by the deeper voice. On one hand it's the narrator doing the voices, it's likely more cost efficient for the small screen time, and on the other hand I wouldn't really be off put if Gali did have a lower voice in general. It's not like every woman speaks with the same pitch and intonation.

Gali actually had a fairly deep voice in BIONICLE: Mask of Light, all things considered.

I'm fine with a deep-voiced Gali. But there's a difference between boy deep voice and girl deep voice.

actually, no there isn't, because trans women & girls can have tenor/baritone/bass voices (i find that musical terms are the only good way to not gender voices). and in the same vein, trans men have soprano/alto voices before starting on testosterone. gender really has no bearing on voice tone whatsoever.

• Upvote 7

Regardless, as for the animations themselves, I wasn't off put by the deeper voice. On one hand it's the narrator doing the voices, it's likely more cost efficient for the small screen time, and on the other hand I wouldn't really be off put if Gali did have a lower voice in general. It's not like every woman speaks with the same pitch and intonation.

Gali actually had a fairly deep voice in BIONICLE: Mask of Light, all things considered.

I'm fine with a deep-voiced Gali. But there's a difference between boy deep voice and girl deep voice.

actually, no there isn't, because trans women & girls can have tenor/baritone/bass voices (i find that musical terms are the only good way to not gender voices). and in the same vein, trans men have soprano/alto voices before starting on testosterone. gender really has no bearing on voice tone whatsoever.

Well non-trans voices are usually distinguishable.

• Upvote 1

i have absolutely no idea what that's supposed to mean.

It means you can distinguish gender by voices if a person isn't transgender. If they are, then they still might have the voice of their biological sex. Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 1

It means you can distinguish gender by voices if a person isn't transgender. If they are, then they still might have the voice of their biological sex.

not necessarily. transgender people can have voices of any pitch. i already said this - gender has no bearing on voice tone whatsoever. you can't determine a person's gender just by listening to their voice.

Edited by Arc
  • Upvote 6

I think that what he's saying is that, among non-trans people, men tend to have more masculine voices and women tend to have more feminine voices. There is some variance, and you can have men with slightly more feminine voices and women with slightly more masculine voices, but they usually still tend to have certain qualities to them that make them still identifiable as male or female. What we've got here is a character who plays the role of a female, but has a man's voice.

That being said, I think there's a couple of reasons as to why Gali does have a male voice. First of all, Lego probably didn't feel like hiring a second voice actor/actress just for the sake of giving one character a different voice, especially when said character likely won't have many speaking roles. Second of all, I don't think Lego wants to advertise the fact that Gali's supposed to be female too much. Since Bionicle is primarily marketed towards young boys, they probably want to downplay Gali's gender as much as possible in hopes that they can sell more toys. It's the same reason why G1 and HF females tended to have similar body structure to the male characters. They know that, given their target audience, characters designed to look and heavily advertised as female won't sell well.

• Upvote 1

I told all of you that Gali is now going to be a guy because she looked like a male way too much that she became one. But oh no, none of you would listen to me but take a look!

Now I'm going to do my happy dance.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

I think that what he's saying is that, among non-trans people, men tend to have more masculine voices and women tend to have more feminine voices. There is some variance, and you can have men with slightly more feminine voices and women with slightly more masculine voices, but they usually still tend to have certain qualities to them that make them still identifiable as male or female. What we've got here is a character who plays the role of a female, but has a man's voice.

yes, i understand that cis people's voices work that way. instead of saying voices are "masculine" and "feminine", though, you could try "low" and "high". gendering voices isn't really a good idea. saying Gali has "a man's voice" is ridiculous, since Gali's not a man.

That being said, I think there's a couple of reasons as to why Gali does have a male voice. First of all, Lego probably didn't feel like hiring a second voice actor/actress just for the sake of giving one character a different voice, especially when said character likely won't have many speaking roles. Second of all, I don't think Lego wants to advertise the fact that Gali's supposed to be female too much. Since Bionicle is primarily marketed towards young boys, they probably want to downplay Gali's gender as much as possible in hopes that they can sell more toys. It's the same reason why G1 and HF females tended to have similar body structure to the male characters. They know that, given their target audience, characters designed to look and heavily advertised as female won't sell well.

the "boys won't buy female characters" argument makes no sense - the only reason behind that statement is that boys are taught to see femininity as an undesirable trait, and even then i think you'll find that lots of boys (the ones who haven't quite glommed onto that idea yet) have absolutely no problem purchasing sets of female characters. it makes absolutely no sense for Lego to put that much thought into making sure their one and only female character can be confused for being male; i don't think that's the reason behind this. the narrator is just doing all the voices, it's as simple as that.

• Upvote 4

Gali also sounds like a guy in the Bionicle GBA game. All Toa have the same funny death noise

Edited by Toa Kayn
  • Upvote 2

9HYoRY7.pngKayn's Thought: My hiatus of Bionicle has ended

I told all of you that Gali is now going to be a guy because she looked like a male way too much that she became one. But oh no, none of you would listen to me but take a look!

Now I'm going to do my happy dance.

Nope, the bio confirms she is female. Hahli also had a male voice actor in a promotional video and she is still female. It's not even her voice; if you watched the other videos you would see that they're all being narrated by a Fire villager to his child.

• Upvote 3

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

While I don't want to seem insensitive, I feel like the insistence that Gali is canonically transgender is only confusing the issue more. You can hold whichever headcanons you like, but her voice in the animations is just a result of a single narrator doing all the voices—nothing more, nothing less. To suggest otherwise only eggs on the kind of people who are jeering at the new narrator and further confuses people who are genuinely unclear about the new Gali's canon gender.

Also, I feel that if you have to headcanon a character as transgender, it'd make more sense to pick any character other than Gali. Unlike the popular "trans girl Tamaru" headcanon (which only adds diversity to the old canon by changing one of the many, many male characters into part of an otherwise-unrepresented minority), if the new Gali is interpreted as trans, it basically erases the only confirmed female cisgender character in the new story. I don't think it's that fair to add one kind of diversity at the expense of another.

• Upvote 14

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

While I don't want to seem insensitive, I feel like the insistence that Gali is canonically transgender is only confusing the issue more. You can hold whichever headcanons you like, but her voice in the animations is just a result of a single narrator doing all the voices—nothing more, nothing less. To suggest otherwise only eggs on the kind of people who are jeering at the new narrator and further confuses people who are genuinely unclear about the new Gali's canon gender.

Also, I feel that if you have to headcanon a character as transgender, it'd make more sense to pick any character other than Gali. Unlike the popular "trans girl Tamaru" headcanon (which only adds diversity to the old canon by changing one of the many, many male characters into part of an otherwise-unrepresented minority), if the new Gali is interpreted as trans, it basically erases the only confirmed female cisgender character in the new story. I don't think it's that fair to add one kind of diversity at the expense of another.

But in the broader range, Bionicle has never had a transgender main character. I don't think anyone will find that it's discriminating, since the story has barely started.

I don't really see how a L1 English speaker would pick the Narrators voice as anything other than a male voice, a male voice with some adjustments for Gali maybe, but still male.

Surely "It's a narrator" is a pretty good explanation... they aren't exactly an archaic device...

yes, i understand that cis people's voices work that way. instead of saying voices are "masculine" and "feminine", though, you could try "low" and "high". gendering voices isn't really a good idea. saying Gali has "a man's voice" is ridiculous, since Gali's not a man.

Honestly it seems like there is more to high or low when it comes to the sex of the speaker; so if ones thinking that by male/masculine-voice someone means a deep voice & by a female/femine-voice they mean a higher voice there is going to be confusion: voices have more to them than just a how high is it overall or at it's highest points etc.

Various societies have associated certain features with a given sex (or rather [from/via] gender) while the specifics might be hard to pin down , many many people seem to be able to determine sex correctly by the voice of the speaker alone ...even when singing which would have the feminine/masculine feature(s) as something other than or beyond just how high or how low.

If we're going to overthink a narration we should at least do it to some depth...

• Upvote 2

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I feel like the insistence that Gali is canonically transgender is only confusing the issue more.

uhhhh

how?? theres nothing confusing about it.

To suggest otherwise only eggs on the kind of people who are jeering at the new narrator and further confuses people who are genuinely unclear about the new Gali's canon gender.

theres nothing unclear about it! theres nothing unclear about it at all. whether or not she is trans or cis, shes still female. thats still her gender.

Also, I feel that if you have to headcanon a character as transgender, it'd make more sense to pick any character other than Gali.

?? no ??

if the new Gali is interpreted as trans, it basically erases the only confirmed female cisgender character in the new story. I don't think it's that fair to add one kind of diversity at the expense of another.

?? SHES STILL FEMALE. she is still female. even if she is still trans. she is still female. and there are MANY less trans woman characters then cis woman characters in media in general. we as a group are horribly HORRIBLY underrepresented in media, and when we are its usually with us at the butt of a joke about how were "actually men".

you have an entirely wrong concept of what it means to have a diverse cast imo. her being trans doesnt change the fact that shed still be female and it would provide a good character for younger kids to look up to, especially young trans kids, who otherwise are going to grow up feeling demonized for who they are and afraid to come out.

also, i do not think we are overthinking it. the op posted about how gali has a deeper voice. we are posting why we think that is. thats not overthinking it at all. that is literally contributing to an otherwise kinda pointless and nebulous topic.

Edited by Courtney
  • Upvote 8

bionicle is trans culture

I feel like the insistence that Gali is canonically transgender is only confusing the issue more.

uhhhh

how?? theres nothing confusing about it.

To suggest otherwise only eggs on the kind of people who are jeering at the new narrator and further confuses people who are genuinely unclear about the new Gali's canon gender.

theres nothing unclear about it! theres nothing unclear about it at all. whether or not she is trans or cis, shes still female. thats still her gender.

Also, I feel that if you have to headcanon a character as transgender, it'd make more sense to pick any character other than Gali.

?? no ??

if the new Gali is interpreted as trans, it basically erases the only confirmed female cisgender character in the new story. I don't think it's that fair to add one kind of diversity at the expense of another.

?? SHES STILL FEMALE. she is still female. even if she is still trans. she is still female. and there are MANY less trans woman characters then cis woman characters in media in general. we as a group are horribly HORRIBLY underrepresented in media, and when we are its usually with us at the butt of a joke about how were "actually men".

you have an entirely wrong concept of what it means to have a diverse cast imo. her being trans doesnt change the fact that shed still be female and it would provide a good character for younger kids to look up to, especially young trans kids, who otherwise are going to grow up feeling demonized for who they are and afraid to come out.

also, i do not think we are overthinking it. the op posted about how gali has a deeper voice. we are posting why we think that is. thats not overthinking it at all. that is literally contributing to an otherwise kinda pointless and nebulous topic.

I'm sorry, but it seems you're just trying to shout me down instead of actually listening to what I have to say.

I have been trying to explain to numerous people that Gali sounds like she does because of a shared narrator voicing every character. When people start saying "it's because she's canon trans" it makes that job a LOT HARDER. Headcanon is fine but when there are so many people who haven't been paying attention to what's confirmed in the canon and what's not it CAN be confusing if people start asserting that something is "canon" even though it's no more than a headcanon or personal theory.

Regarding the trans/cisgender thing, I RECOGNIZE that Gali would be female either way. But I thought the POINT of such a headcanon would be to add greater representation to the cast. To that effect, I would think that whether the sole female character is trans- or cisgendered DOES make a difference. Consider the tired trope of having an improbably multicultural cast for a cartoon (e.g. one black, one Jewish, one gay, one paraplegic). But imagine that instead of that you had five white, heterosexual Christian characters alongside a single black Jewish gay character in a wheelchair. I would think that'd be undisputably worse, since instead of making the cast as a whole more diverse you're making it more homogenous by only including a single character who's any different from the others. This is obviously an extreme example, and considering Gali to be trans isn't nearly as problematic. But that's not to say that it's the best choice either.

I don't know. I'd probably have been better off not giving any recommendation as to what people headcanon, since that's really none of my business. But I WOULD appreciate if people would stop referring to their headcanons and theories as actual canon, even jokingly. It has the potential to cause the same problem as this topic's title, which instead of asking a question or proposing a possibility seems to assert an untruth, an untruth which I've had to correct offsite several times already.

• Upvote 12

I'm sorry, but it seems you're just trying to shout me down instead of actually listening to what I have to say.

I have been trying to explain to numerous people that Gali sounds like she does because of a shared narrator voicing every character. When people start saying "it's because she's canon trans" it makes that job a LOT HARDER. Headcanon is fine but when there are so many people who haven't been paying attention to what's confirmed in the canon and what's not it CAN be confusing if people start asserting that something is "canon" even though it's no more than a headcanon or personal theory.

Regarding the trans/cisgender thing, I RECOGNIZE that Gali would be female either way. But I thought the POINT of such a headcanon would be to add greater representation to the cast. To that effect, I would think that whether the sole female character is trans- or cisgendered DOES make a difference. Consider the tired trope of having an improbably multicultural cast for a cartoon (e.g. one black, one Jewish, one gay, one paraplegic). But imagine that instead of that you had five white, heterosexual Christian characters alongside a single black Jewish gay character in a wheelchair. I would think that'd be undisputably worse, since instead of making the cast as a whole more diverse you're making it more homogenous by only including a single character who's any different from the others. This is obviously an extreme example, and considering Gali to be trans isn't nearly as problematic. But that's not to say that it's the best choice either.

I don't know. I'd probably have been better off not giving any recommendation as to what people headcanon, since that's really none of my business. But I WOULD appreciate if people would stop referring to their headcanons and theories as actual canon, even jokingly. It has the potential to cause the same problem as this topic's title, which instead of asking a question or proposing a possibility seems to assert an untruth, an untruth which I've had to correct offsite several times already.

It's not your job to explain to other people that it's a narration that lead to the deeper voice. You can, but when other people come up with their own explanation for it that fits and doesn't actually hurt anything or anyone, while giving themselves a character that's more deeply relatable, why fight against it? Gali is just as much cisgender as she would be transgender as far as canon is concerned: we didn't see her born, didn't see a Bionicle equivalent of a doctor exclaim "girl!" and then see a reaffirmation of that assignment by the character later on. To insist she cannot possibly be transgender in the canon is doing the same thing you're purporting to be against: forcing a headcanon into canon and onto other people. Except your version of it takes away representation from a marginalized group of people who are excited and happy to be able to point at Gali and find a new way to relate to her character.

So what if people insist it's canon? It changes nothing? She's still a girl either way. All that's being done is adding a trait to her that makes her more relatable to a group of people who need more to relate to, as there is virtually nothing out there that isn't a disgusting joke.

In the end I don't care if it makes "your job" harder to explain to other people "oh no it's just the narration" because the representation that others see in the character trumps your mild inconvenience.

• Upvote 7

Why are we all going nuts over this? Lego was too cheap to hire a voice actress for Gali, and just had the same dude voice everyone. Case closed.

What makes people think cheapness had anything to do with? LEGO got SEVERAL voice actors, male AND female, for the Hero Factory FM podcast, and it probably didn't cost them a dime since most of the voice actors were Advance employees who were already working for LEGO.

The fact that Advance could have done the same thing here, and didn't, indicates that money probably had nothing to do with it, and that their actual creative intent was to have one narrator do all the voices like in Thomas the Tank Engine.

It annoys me to no end when people throw around words like "cheap" and "lazy" to describe what could easily just be creative decisions. Like when people say a set design is "lazy" because they don't like how it looks, ignoring the possibility that the set designer and focus groups did like how it looks and chose it because it was the best solution in their eyes. You can't assume that everything you dislike is due to a lack of money, lack of effort, or lack of caring. No amount of money, effort, or care can guarantee that a work is liked by everybody.

• Upvote 10

Why are we all going nuts over this? Lego was too cheap to hire a voice actress for Gali, and just had the same dude voice everyone. Case closed.

What makes people think cheapness had anything to do with? LEGO got SEVERAL voice actors, male AND female, for the Hero Factory FM podcast, and it probably didn't cost them a dime since most of the voice actors were Advance employees who were already working for LEGO.

The fact that Advance could have done the same thing here, and didn't, indicates that money probably had nothing to do with it, and that their actual creative intent was to have one narrator do all the voices like in Thomas the Tank Engine.

It annoys me to no end when people throw around words like "cheap" and "lazy" to describe what could easily just be creative decisions. Like when people say a set design is "lazy" because they don't like how it looks, ignoring the possibility that the set designer and focus groups did like how it looks and chose it because it was the best solution in their eyes. You can't assume that everything you dislike is due to a lack of money, lack of effort, or lack of caring. No amount of money, effort, or care can guarantee that a work is liked by everybody.

But it shouldn't be this huge problem everyone's making it out to be, though. Gali is voiced by a dude now? Cool, so what? It's not going to ruin her character or anything. And who says this is going to be her permanent voice? Lego could very well change Gali back into her classic feminine version again later on down the line.

Edited by Toa Borox
  • Upvote 1
Political content removed. -B6

What makes people think cheapness had anything to do with? .... It annoys me to no end when people throw around words like "cheap" and "lazy" to describe what could easily just be creative decisions.

I intentionally used the word "cheap" flippantly. It could very well be a creative decision, the same way the Toa Mahri all sounded like clone troopers in their CG animation. I'm a pretty dumb guy, but I'm not so blatantly stupid as to not realize that it could have been a creative decision.

My point still stands. It doesn't matter how she's voiced. Gali's a woman, and I don't know why people are making all these wild transgender theories. 

And I always liked how in Thomas the Tank Engine the same guy voiced everyone. It played out more like a storybook that way.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 1

My point still stands. It doesn't matter how she's voiced. Gali's a woman, and I don't know why people are making all these wild transgender theories.

They're not wild theories, they're about as possible as if she wasn't. Even if so, she is a woman and trans women are women so I don't even know what the point of this specific line is other than to insult people and imply they aren't women.

Edited by Kitania
  • Upvote 3

They're not wild theories, they're about as possible as if she wasn't. Even if so, she is a woman and transwomen are women so I don't even know what the point of this specific line is other than to insult people and imply they aren't women.

I'm not sure how you're reading my comment. I never said transgender women aren't women (though admittedly I'm especially terrible at writing anything, so maybe I did in a way). What I tried to say is that it makes no sense to say that Gali could be transgender or whatever sexuality just because a guy voiced her.

Here we all go again, arguing in an endless debate about sexuality in children's plastic toys. Yeesh.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how you're reading my comment. I never said transgender women aren't women (though admittedly I'm especially terrible at writing anything, so maybe I did in a way). What I tried to say is that it makes no sense to say that Gali could be transgender or whatever sexuality just because a guy voiced her.

Here we all go again, arguing in an endless debate about sexuality in children's plastic toys. Yeesh.

being transgender and talking about characters being transgender has NOTHING to do with sexuality. its gender. gender. GENDER. NOT sexuality.

anyway, thats exactly pretty much what you said. also, it makes no sense to assume gali is automatically cis either. it made sense to arc and i, because we are trans, and when we hear a female character with a deeper voice, we see ourselves in that, and we give our two cents on why she is like that, because we feel like she is like us.

the op asked for our comments on gali being voiced by a guy. we gave our thoughts that she was trans. yall are the ones trying to twist it into a pointless debate and trying to tell us that were wrong for seeing a character as being similar to us based on what we notice compared to our own experiences.

Edited by Courtney
  • Upvote 6

bionicle is trans culture

Nobody is claiming anything is canon. Someone made a comment on their interpretation of it, not seriously insisting everyone has to believe it with them. Arguing on the semantics of transgender terminology or arguing with the post in general is more than a little silly and missing the point. Regardless of how you see this character, it really should be none of your business how anyone else does. 

How is "Gali is transgender" worse than "Gali is a guy"? "We've got a storybook narrator thing going on" is explanation enough for the voice thing, anything else is a lively discussion that only branches from that. Getting bent out of shape over it isn't fun.

My stance? Until we get new voice acting, there is no evidence that Gali or the other characters aren't supposed to sound exactly the way they do now :P

• Upvote 7

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

So what if people insist it's canon? It changes nothing? She's still a girl either way. All that's being done is adding a trait to her that makes her more relatable to a group of people who need more to relate to, as there is virtually nothing out there that isn't a disgusting joke.

It changes something! It confuses people, and the stupid thing about it is that it could be completely avoided by saying things like "Trans Gali is my new headcanon" instead of misleading statements like "Trans Gali is now canon". I'm not trying to deprive a soul of their representation, just trying to nip misconceptions in the bud during a time when news and rumors are spreading like wildfire. Yes, it's a "first-world problem", and I'm not obligated to do it, but at least you could have the common decency to put just a little more thought into your comments for the sake of the greater community.

I'm through with this conversation. I try my ###### to check my privilege, to consider the opinions of others, and to try to be a positive force in the community, but apparently gently offering a suggestion or voicing a concern about the implications of a particular headcanon makes me into some sexist jerk. And the worst part is I KNOW I'm in the wrong. Your headcanons are none of my business, and the issues my suggestion might potentially address are trivial compared to those people who the media constantly insist either don't or shouldn't exist. But there have to be ways to remind me of that without shouting me down or calling me sexist. Because just because I'm white and cis and straight and male doesn't mean I'm privileged in every respect, or that I don't have issues of my own. And it would be nice if people would recognize that I DO care and I'm TRYING, because I don't need other people to come up with any more reasons for me to hate myself.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 10

Lyichir, nobody said anything about your race, your orientations, any of your privileges or anything about you directly at all. There have been no accusations of sexism or that you aren't trying. There's only been disagreement and clarification on things you've said. You aren't the mighty protector of the Bionicle fandom, you aren't being personally attacked by someone making a "misleading statement" and you shouldn't be concerned that people are too dumb to figure it out for themselves. You shouldn't hate yourself because you were told you were wrong about how to interpret voice acting of a toy advertisement. You may be be overreacting more than a little bit to this.

Don't take that the wrong way, but I reread the topic and there have honestly just not been any inflammatory or accusing statements or claims made against you and you sound like you've been having a very different conversation than what's up there. Please don't feel offended by offenses that never happened, it's not fair to your own feelings nor to the discussion.

If it makes feel any better, I doubt this:
fPba3ON.png
is gonna throw the Bionicle fandom into chaos and confuse everyone for ages to come. Trust me. Especially since BZPower is not the entire fandom, that post isn't the front page, and nobody in this small topic has proven your fears yet.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 6

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Listen, the narrator's voice is not Gali's! If you only watch the individual Toa promos it's confusing, but if you watched the story ones you'd see there's a narrator. Since the voice isn't Gali's, there's no way to make any conclusion about her from it. There's a stronger case for Hahli being genderfluid since she had a male voice actor in the Mahri video, than Gali or any other 2015 character being transgender. 

• Upvote 2

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Just because there isn't confusion here, in this topic alone, doesn't mean it isn't out there. I haven't seen it (well, certainly plenty questions of "is she male?," but none specifically asking about being trans), but perhaps Lyichir has.

Perhaps he came from the wrong angle, but the end point is one that I think is being ignored. Gali is female no matter which way you look at it - there is no changing that. Trans or cis, she is a woman.

But there is a difference between that to most people. There is.

One of the largest criticisms of this line and of LEGO is the token female. She already is the outlier because of her gender. She is the token character. What Lyichir is asking, and what I do agree with, is isn't making her even more of an outsider in the group maybe perceivable as bad to some? I'd much rather have cis and trans female characters represented than cobble all underrepresented peoples into one.

I wouldn't oppose it at all. But it doesn't have to be Gali, to me.

I do want to better understand where you're coming from and be more considerate. But it really is made hard sometimes when it feels like you are being talked down to and shouted at for... not understanding. When that open, calm, civil discussion is really desired by everyone.

~|ET|~

Edited by Ektris
  • Upvote 8

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Okay, reading through the topic, I was expecting her to sound like a male voice actor putting on a deep-but-feminine voice. Was not expecting Arnold Schwartzanegger.

... He just didn't even try... 

I think expecting one guy to do all the narration and a dozen different voices was a bit too ambitious- I mean, he's okay, but he's not exactly Stephen Fry-level. Actually, all the Toa sound a bit too similar in those vids, aside from Onua and Pohatu (The latter seems to have been going for Australian but landed on Cockney).

A trans character would be great, but I think it's more than we can expect from LEGO- still, looking forward to the headcanons on this one.

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Umm, yes he did. If he hadn't been trying then his voice would have sounded exactly the same for Gali as for any of the other characters, but instead it was lighter and slightly more melodic (more highs and lows). Just watch Gali's video right after watching Tahu's or Lewa's and you'll (hopefully) notice the change in inflection.

Umm, yes he did. If he hadn't been trying then his voice would have sounded exactly the same for Gali as for any of the other characters, but instead it was lighter and slightly more melodic (more highs and lows). Just watch Gali's video right after watching Tahu's or Lewa's and you'll (hopefully) notice the change in inflection.

But why try if he's just a narrator?

Trans Gali would be really cool representation on Lego's part, and it would open up the idea that the beings that live on Okoto maybe don't follow the gender binary

Someone seems to be "unintentionally" trolling for another "controversial" thing that no one really cares about. lol Like Lego would put something like that only to risk losing a large part of their marketing segment of traditional families to support some random cause that has nothing to do with selling toys? lol You sir (or madam) are a funny man (or woman). lol (Besides only a troll would attempt to provoke people into responding to something so non sequitur to the actual discussion.)  :huh:

Anyway, enough laughing at idiocy in the making, and look to the real topic in the room. lol First off, I don't even see the point of this discussion... it was painfully obvious that the "one voice actor" was really just the narrator, and second, people act as if they have never heard an narrator tell a story? Come people... I feel sorry for the one's who can't tell the difference between an obvious open book narration, and an actual cartoon with voice actors. (Which I still hope Lego considers doing this and finally replace that awful Chima whatever. lol)

Hahaha, I can't believe how many people actually believed that was Gali's voice... I mean, there are choice words that describe such levels of ignorance or lack of thought, but a big Black Six wrote rulez I can't.  :lol-sign:

Go home kids, I'm pretty sure the mystery is solved.  :headbonk:

Edit: Your post here is entirely disrespectful and uncalled for. You have lost Proto for it.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 7

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif